• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Looking Into Watermanipulation addition

NickC1211

What's wrong with "spamming" lmao. There's still strategy and positioning is a huge factor.
It's nice an all but I want bending that actually flows (I'm mostly referring to water). Water used to be people spamming watermanipulation and torrent but I like how now if you do that you're considered bad. I don't wanna go backwards

AndDrew

Because if there's spamming then there's lack of diversity.
Well I mean simplicity in games is nice too. Like for example minecraft pvp (pre-1.9 of course) similarly to TLA was simple yet complex in how you used the little things that you had.

xNuminousx

Well I mean simplicity in games is nice too. Like for example minecraft pvp (pre-1.9 of course) was simple yet complex in how you used the little things you had.
Well I don't think it'd be nice in a plugin that's based off of a series. It's not gonna be fun when EVERY bender you see will spam the same moves. That's why I enjoy Pk how it is, because every time you fight someone it's different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndDrew

Well I don't think it'd be nice in a plugin that's based off of a series. It's not gonna be fun when EVERY bender you see will spam the same moves. That's why I enjoy Pk how it is, because every time you fight someone it's different
But not every bender was the same. There were still different and distinct styles like (for water) spouting or being speedy or even just camping on an island (Cory).

Madocean

(First off I want to start by saying that this is just me being logical I don't side with anyone in arguements, I also dont wany any beef)

Okay so, this is kind of a mess. Spammable manip is the only counter to air. That was always an intended mechanic, and as long as air retains its ability to fight the way it does, it will continue to be necessary. I'd also like to regard that earlier statement, every one of the top 5 waterbenders spam to some extent. And it's not a bad thing. While diversity is important, consistency is EQUALLY important. pk shouldnt be an exhaust your abilities wait 5 seconds and then go at it again... Bending would suck terribly, possibly the way it could end up in the future after disregaurding current metas... Numi you mentioned that when theres spam there's no diversity, what Andy was trying to get across is that there are multiple USES and ITERATIONS of spam in combat. You can position by attaining a position advantageous in regards to your opponent (behind them, farther yet away from yet within selectable range of source in relation to them). You can river in neutral, trading manips until someone lands a hit or begins a torrent and jump into position. You can accumulate a large number of manips and force your opponent into a defensive position and use mixups. You can chip away at stationary defense on spout through swift flybys, landing individual hits. You can defend from an island, which takes tremendous mechanical skill. You can bait onto land and use the position gained to deal your damage. You can fight land vs spout and attempt to get your opponent into the water for position.
So one of the biggest aspects of water is positioning. It's a very important mechanic, and without it water would have no real direction as you can see. So yeah that entire section there was only a piece of what manip ALONE plays into the meta. It's important. Basing mechanics around starting interactions through SINGLE moves, makes the flow of fights much more fluid and easier to enjoy. The important thing is making sure that addons like this take the meta in the right direction.
Maybe with this addon you could observe land vs land fights, trading off manips while running. This is VERY relevant to a lot of water fights in the show. The concept is canon and at the same time beneficial to the meta.

This whole conversation also brings me to another concept, being; instead of manip currently looks like when you create a ton of them (a loose conglomerate of lots of water) It could look more like a small version of waterflow, long, maybe 5-7 blocks, thick 1-3 with tapers. It could deal twice the damage of one manip used as an attack maybe adding something to the cooldown (configurable, suggested .5 seconds). But this could also play into defense. The stream could be used to block barrages of small attacks and single use strong attacks, could take idk 5 fireblasts and 2 charged fireblasts, one esmash 4 earthblasts etc etc. Ill go suggest this now :I

Last edited:

Madocean

Lol so that whole thing was a mess, I don't even know if its actually a cohesive comment anymore tbh xD

Madocean

I also prefer how it is now with more moves and techniques
Building on that notion, yeah I agree. There should be a variety of techniques and such, I just think it should stem from combos and addons like t h i s which is why i support it so heavily. By aimlessly creating moves to fill meta voids you just add to the problem. People have to choose between 18 moves for 9 slots in their hotbar...

NickC1211

Building on that notion, yeah I agree. There should be a variety of techniques and such, I just think it should stem from combos and addons like t h i s which is why i support it so heavily. By aimlessly creating moves to fill meta voids you just add to the problem. People have to choose between 18 moves for 9 slots in their hotbar...
I agree somewhat but I like that there are more moves than slots because that way we can personalize our binds to fit our fighting style almost like a bender in the show would

Madocean

I agree somewhat but I like that there are more moves than slots because that way we can personalize our binds to fit our fighting style almost like a bender in the show would
See but there should only be idk a couple more moves than you have slots, because when you overpersonalize individual styles, the meta dies, or most stlyes just become irrelevant. That just doesn't work. Right now we have like 5 irrelevant moves... (Iceblast, plantdrain, iceclaws, plantarmor) and an irrelevant combo (icebullet). Each of these either plays little contribution to your style or little contribution to anything. Lets at least work on fixing or removing those before we go adding more abilities.

NickC1211

See but there should only be idk a couple more moves than you have slots, because when you overpersonalize individual styles, the meta dies, or most stlyes just become irrelevant. That just doesn't work. Right now we have like 5 irrelevant moves... (Iceblast, plantdrain, iceclaws, plantarmor) and an irrelevant combo (icebullet). Each of these either plays little contribution to your style or little contribution to anything. Lets at least work on fixing or removing those before we go adding more abilities.
I don't think iceblast and icebullet are completely useless and irrelevant icebullet can be extremely useful as a defense and even offense. Also iceblast is a faster pace ice move but I feel that we should just replace icespime completely with like actual ice spikes (Finns version of icespike. That would balance it more

Madocean

I don't think iceblast and icebullet are completely useless and irrelevant icebullet can be extremely useful as a defense and even offense. Also iceblast is a faster pace ice move but I feel that we should just replace icespime completely with like actual ice spikes (Finns version of icespike. That would balance it more
Okay so icebullet is 1 too slow, 2 too short range and 3 too limiting. Iceblast is fast and hits hard, but linear, very predictable. It is waaay too op when its useful, its not balanceable. Also it can only be used on ice so.... staying away from ice > iceblast xD

NickC1211

Okay so icebullet is 1 too slow, 2 too short range and 3 too limiting. Iceblast is fast and hits hard, but linear, very predictable. It is waaay too op when its useful, its not balanceable. Also it can only be used on ice so.... staying away from ice > iceblast xD
Icebullet definitely needs a change so it can be water or ice. It also needs longer range like when tarrlok fought Korra.

Madocean

Icebullet definitely needs a change so it can be water or ice. It also needs longer range like when tarrlok fought Korra.
I say just make it less all encompassing and more manueverable/mobile. It should be like a 3x3 wall or 4x3x1 barracade that you can just move in the direction you want to block, it should also decrease in size for every bullet you shoot

Kya's version of torrent-iceblast suits more.

Icebullet needs to removed or improved with the following changes:
  • Activation should be 'Surge (shield up) => WaterBubble (shapes it into sphere: sneak) => PhaseChange (optional, but freezes it) => Iceblast
  • Needs to have longer duration by default.
  • ???
  • Lol k bye.