• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

RPG Skill Trees!

Switch

Verified Member
give em -bending.fire.combustion, bending.water.bloodbending or something along the lines. Just google "projectkorra permissions" and I'm sure you find in of the two wikis".

And I fun fact if you're interested: The Current RPG plugin randomly assigns to the bender subs, and even the whole element through percentage chances when the plater firsts joins the server. So you can have a player that joins and is automaticly assigned as a waterbending, with only healingwater sub-skills.

Išsiųsta naudojantis SM-G313HN Tapatalk 4 Lt
I do like this idea , but can the RPG trees be configured so that it would only give the player an element and not the sub ??

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
As I said, you can do this to do core. Just negate the permissions of the subs

YourAverageNerd

Verified Member
Maybe skill tree could include 'gain something by reaching a respective destination point'. For example If I pass through the door way of norther water tribe pakku's training camp, and in the config it is set that doing so I'll get to unlock my icebending, so after I go there I should automaticly "learn" the mastery over icebending.

I think that would be very useful for storytelling rpg purposes. I can imagine I would roleplay Zuko and reenact his first time succesful attempt of lightning redirection, by entering royal palace of the fire lord and meet him in face, and in there, near the throno my lightningbending would then be unlocked :)

If you would read the post correctly, you'd see that they are not implementing ways to gain skill points (whatever you wanna call them). They are just adding them, and server owners can give them to players through other plugins, such as quests plugins, or custom ones, etc.

Loony

Verified Member
Hey guys;
What I ask from the community is for you to propose some concepts for the skill trees, whether that's actual skills players can earn or a concept on the skill tree system we've proposed.
This would be nice :)

YourAverageNerd

Verified Member
If they aren't why earthgrab that hasn't only left has a executer? Oh yeah, they removed it because it balance, and since it doesn't have a config option to bring back old combo, it doesn't give full control.
Ok, so I tried to make sense out of the first sentence, but it was really hard so sorry for any mistakes, the english language is not my mother tongue. I believe you're saying something along the lines of "If they aren't limiting configuration options than why does EarthGrab only have an executor left?" And I think that means they removed the EarthGrab yourself feature? (Not sure if they did, I haven't played in a long time).

Note that revamping an entire move and limiting a feature's config options are completely different. EarthGrab was revamped to be a move to capture an enemy or target, and not for personal defence. They might have done such things because they thought it was "OP", or unrealistic, or anything like that. They are simply sticking to the avatar universe like this, not trying to control other servers using this plugin. If I remember correctly @Mist's goal was to make this plugin as customizable as possible, and that includes allowing server owners to go for a full-on RPG server.

I'm also not so sure what you're trying to achieve with your arguments. Mist has indeed said that he doesn't think a leveling system is a good idea, but does that single statement mean he and the team can't change that decision? Things that happened and have been said in the past should not hold back further development of the plugin, let alone mere statements. And let's above all not forget that bending is not only about fighting. I think this RPG aspect could add a very nice aspect to training, teaching others, and roleplaying.

For the leveling system being OP for a new player vs an old player: How is this solved in games such as Guild Wars 2? The closer you come to the spawn, the lower the "level cap" gets. This could be implemented in the RPG plugin but as well via other plugins, so you really shouldn't worry about it too much. A good server has thought about that and covered that problem.

This plugin isn't a "Do X move Y amount of times to unlock Z". It's much more "abstract" and "open" than that. From what I understand, it allows server owners to "connect" it with other plugins, that will decide what the player has to do in order to receive more skill tree points. I think others shouldn't be too closed minded about this concept.

TL;DR: Go read the post, there is no TL;DR.

YourAverageNerd

Verified Member
This would be nice :)
Yes, let's get back to the actual question.

I think a good thing to do is if each element's tree would eventually split off into a sub element or upgrading your core element. For example; For fire you can pick combustion, lightning, or stronger regular fire.

I also think that just granting access to new moves will become boring. Rather than doing it like that, I think giving access to certain parts of moves is better, this allows more unlockable features per move; thus a bigger skill tree, i.e.:
First stage torrent: Shoot a stream of water.
Second stage torrent: Spin water around you and launch it.
Third stage torrent: Spin water around you, launch it and freeze it or drag entities with it.
Fourth stage torrent: Spin water around you and release a wave of water.
Of course you would unlock these in order.

This is what I can come up with for now. :)

Loony

Verified Member
Ok, so I tried to make sense out of the first sentence, but it was really hard so sorry for any mistakes, the english language is not my mother tongue. I believe you're saying something along the lines of "If they aren't limiting configuration options than why does EarthGrab only have an executor left?" And I think that means they removed the EarthGrab yourself feature? (Not sure if they did, I haven't played in a long time).

Note that revamping an entire move and limiting a feature's config options are completely different. EarthGrab was revamped to be a move to capture an enemy or target, and not for personal defence. They might have done such things because they thought it was "OP", or unrealistic, or anything like that. They are simply sticking to the avatar universe like this, not trying to control other servers using this plugin. If I remember correctly @Mist's goal was to make this plugin as customizable as possible, and that includes allowing server owners to go for a full-on RPG server.

I'm also not so sure what you're trying to achieve with your arguments. Mist has indeed said that he doesn't think a leveling system is a good idea, but does that single statement mean he and the team can't change that decision? Things that happened and have been said in the past should not hold back further development of the plugin, let alone mere statements. And let's above all not forget that bending is not only about fighting. I think this RPG aspect could add a very nice aspect to training, teaching others, and roleplaying.

For the leveling system being OP for a new player vs an old player: How is this solved in games such as Guild Wars 2? The closer you come to the spawn, the lower the "level cap" gets. This could be implemented in the RPG plugin but as well via other plugins, so you really shouldn't worry about it too much. A good server has thought about that and covered that problem.

This plugin isn't a "Do X move Y amount of times to unlock Z". It's much more "abstract" and "open" than that. From what I understand, it allows server owners to "connect" it with other plugins, that will decide what the player has to do in order to receive more skill tree points. I think others shouldn't be too closed minded about this concept.

To add onto this, people being stronger than others is kinda what RPG is all about. Getting stronger, ranking up.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
If you would read the post correctly, you'd see that they are not implementing ways to gain skill points (whatever you wanna call them). They are just adding them, and server owners can give them to players through other plugins, such as quests plugins, or custom ones, etc.
Didn't grasp the concept pretty well, because I took the first part literally :D And when I "I can see now that I won't by liking", welp I lied, because didn't grasp the concept and took that example literally (like as if the default feature provived by pk).

NP and it might be justy problem, cause im not english speaker either. No, I mean why EarthGrab is nerfed to requiring sneak.

With you EarthGrab you could and still grab others and yourself. It was changed/nerfed that right now you have to be holding before left clicking to grab others, and that grabbing yourself also requires to left click + look down at your feet.

All I'm jyst saying if ALL rpg with skill tree enabled servers had starting you from "watermanipulation, fireblast, airswipe, earthblast, rapidpunch" - then its a problem. It would just be unfair in sparring for players who don't own the server.

Yeah I know it isn't "do x ability to get y". I already grasped the concept oretty well. Loony mention that he with his team will tend to avoid that.

They are not. PK is one of the most configurable plugins I know (of course EpicWorldGen and stuff go above that), and gives a lot of freedom to the server owner and admins compared to other plugins.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Yes, let's get back to the actual question.

I think a good thing to do is if each element's tree would eventually split off into a sub element or upgrading your core element. For example; For fire you can pick combustion, lightning, or stronger regular fire.

I also think that just granting access to new moves will become boring. Rather than doing it like that, I think giving access to certain parts of moves is better, this allows more unlockable features per move; thus a bigger skill tree, i.e.:
First stage torrent: Shoot a stream of water.
Second stage torrent: Spin water around you and launch it.
Third stage torrent: Spin water around you, launch it and freeze it or drag entities with it.
Fourth stage torrent: Spin water around you and release a wave of water.
Of course you would unlock these in order.

This is what I can come up with for now. :)
Yeah, with subs - Loony already confirmed of that being introduced...

Sure, here's what's appropriate (although this isn't a finalized list, you guys can suggest anything but here's what I've got);
  • Access to ability/subelement

• Išsiųsta naudojantis SM-G313HN Tapatalk 4 Lt

Loony

Verified Member
@Meskenas-Chi_Blokeris we didn't change EarthGrab to nerf it, we changed it to have better visuals and aesthetics when you use the move. The "Shift" part of the move is supposed to represent connecting to the earth, making you stop and connect to raise earth around a target instead of a simple click.

YourAverageNerd

Verified Member
Another concept that just came to my mind: Teaching

In the config, there would be a list with moves that have to be taught or given via commands. If not given via commands, these moves can only be learned by finding someone who does know this move, and "teaching" it to them (this could be with a command they are able to use, such as /pkrpg teach <move name>). This is a really basic idea, and can be altered a lot. I hope you get the main concept of it though. :)

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
^ "If you would read the post correctly, you'd see that they are not implementing ways to gain skill points (whatever you wanna call them). They are just adding them, and server owners can give them to players through other plugins, such as quests plugins, or custom ones, etc.". Short story - you're a hypocritic. If they gonna implant "teaching", they might as well add my "location" idea. It's a fair share ya know?

Taiko the Waterbender

Verified Member
Inspired by the post above one could earn whatever-points by observing someone bending an ability yet to be unlocked.

Per example, a firebender is trying to unlock lightning redirection. As Iroh stated, he created that technique when observing waterbenders flow. Maybe if the firebender saw someone waterbend, he would be closer to unlock lightning, though he would still need to spend the so said RPoints.

The same would happen between benders of the same Element. By watching someone using, let's say, IceBullets, you could earn some sort of experience that would make it easier to you to unlock the ability/combo.

I just threw the idea in, i really didn't think about it much...
What do you guys think?

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
That's so creative of you Taiko. For that, I'm gonna rate your reply that way ;) (y). It shouldn't be hard to do right? Just have the plugin check if the 'mentor is caugh in the pupils peripheral vision (is it somewhere at 160-140° width? Just taking a wild guess!) and in a lowest rendarable distance that can be set and seen by the help of optifine (because I don't think the plugin can pick up and do the check-ups for configurable stuff under options menu).

YourAverageNerd

Verified Member
That's so creative of you Taiko. For that, I'm gonna rate your reply that way ;) (y). It shouldn't be hard to do right? Just have the plugin check if the 'mentor is caugh in the pupils peripheral vision (is it somewhere at 160-140° width? Just taking a wild guess!) and in a lowest rendarable distance that can be set and seen by the help of optifine (because I don't think the plugin can pick up and do the check-ups for configurable stuff under options menu).
Here are a few issues.
  1. Lag; For each player, every tick, check what players are in their field of vision, check if they use a move, and all that stuff? Let's calculate! Let's say there are 50 players online, so we're gonna repeat the same code 50 times. Let's say 40 of them are looking at other benders, about 2 each. That means 50 * 2 = 100. Now we also gotta check if they are using a move and that's done with so called "looping" as well. In any case, it'll be a problem. And that's just per tick, which is a twentieth of a second.
  2. Checking what is in the player's field of vision requires more than easy vector math.
  3. A plugin can't use optifine features.
  4. There are probably some other problems which I can't think of at the moment.

Loony

Verified Member
We aren't doing that.