• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

RPG Skill Trees!

Loony

Verified Member
When I say "unlocking abilities/subelements" that's really for the owner to define. However, if I were to create a RPG server it would be more of unlocking advanced moves, such as WaterArms.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Like I said, it's configurable :)
Configurable I know, but I might not be the op and if something is wrong - like if all servers used the basic ability (fireblast, earthblast) as the only starting ability, then you should change it a bit and add restrictions :).

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Then don't go to that server.
Considering that most servers I go that include a levelling system have it ALWAYS me starting with that kind of ability, the "then don't go to that server" option isn't there for me.

That's how it will be. Server owners tend to do that for some reason, so if something isn't happening the way I wanted in everywhere, I do have the reason to ask PK to fix it. Remember, PK takes the responsibility of the quality on how bending should/must be played
Lol fail. I thought you were quoting on my other reply. My bad.

Loony

Verified Member
Configurable I know, but I might not be the op and if something is wrong - like if all servers used the basic ability (fireblast, earthblast) as the only starting ability, then you should change it a bit and add restrictions :).
No, because that would stop what we're trying to accomplish. Server owners should have the tools to create whatever type of RPG server they wish, thus adding diversity when it comes to bending servers.

Our main goal is to have lots of different types of bending servers so that the gameplay doesn't get stale and repetitive, such as right now 90% of bending servers are the same, which is no fault of the owners in all honesty.

If you don't like the way a certain server is set up then you have to find a new one that suits your needs. That's how servers work, by appealing to more players.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
No, because that would stop what we're trying to accomplish. Server owners should have the tools to create whatever type of RPG server they wish, thus adding diversity when it comes to bending servers.
Well, it isn't what you we're doing this whole time - balancing bending? This also RPG Skill Trees might have effect on that part. I just find it unfair that new comers have to suffer from having one ability in their bending arsenal, while the long time played players on that server can gain more, thus having a great advantage as their bending is powerful.

I'm not saying to remove the 'gain more abilities compileting x thing' complete, but at least add some restrictions.

YourAverageNerd

Verified Member
It's up to the server owner to add their own limitations and possibilities. If they want a full-on 100% RPG server with heavy skill trees they can do that, and just because you don't like that doesn't mean PK has to tell them not to/restrict them from doing so.

Matt

Verified Member
Matt said:
Why not just have "talent points" (could be for specific purposes like subelements, or just for the general element) that players could gain through means the server owner would define, and then allow the said server owner to make their own configurable GUI talent tree that players could spend their talent points on.

Because it's a skill tree, that's what they're called lol.. Besides, "talent points" sounds worse imo.
If you've ever played an actual RPG (like world of Warcraft or really any other game), you would know that you gain talent points that you are able to spend on a tree and gain various upgrades, the whole point is choice

Last edited:

Vahagn

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Server Owners should always have complete control over their servers. If an aspect of PK exists that PK is deciding for all servers its pretty unfair. Thats why configuration exists. If you dont like how a server is configured simply dont play on it

Bumbullbee

Verified Member
Some ideas I think would be cool to see in the skill tree:

1.) A simple to understand but very configurable way to set up the skill tree, setting which abilities get what upgrades/unlocks along with setting up where the bending permissions would be given to the player
(Pretty sure this one’s an obvious one and I shouldn’t have to list it but I thought I would anyway)

2.) An In-game GUI for the players to use, this would clear up most confusion for any players trying to use it
(Without going through countless help commands and constantly getting tutorials from the staff members of the server)

3.) A diverse amount of ways to gain skill points. Ranging from fighting, times used, and kills to time played, vanilla xp gathered, players healed, quests done, doing quests, etc
(Maybe it could also have support for stats plugins to find even more ways to gain them)

4.) Support for people with more than 1 element that aren’t the avatar
(I wouldn’t use this on my server, but it seems like this would help out a lot of folks)

5.) Support for plugins like MCMMO to give skill points after the player reaches a specified power level
(Or after every X power levels)

6.) Being able to set a configurable amount of skill points to upgrade/unlock abilities
(Ex: It would take one point to upgrade the range of water manipulation but it would take more to learn/upgrade the water arms freezing shots)

7.) Support for the specific attributes of each move included in the plugin
(Such as the range, damage, cool down, knock back, healing on healing waters, launch distance on earth smash, burn time on fire moves, the amount of punches on rapid punch, etc)
[I do realize this would be tedious, but it would give more control to the owners]

8.) Support for passive moves, such as the speed and jump boost on air/chi and the reduced hunger from chi
(Pretty self explanatory)

Sorry if these are horrid, but yeah, here’s a few suggestions. Like asked ._.’
(I took the time to color, resize, comment, and space all of these mainly because I think it looks pretty xD)

Switch

Verified Member
Thisnproabally isn't on the subject of RPG trees, but I would like to see the user be able to add sub bending in stead of just having every sub move from an ability, eg ; earth - lava bending , sand bending , metal bending. Like RPG trees where you have to do a current number of things to level up or to get a move,i want a way to be able to give my users specific sub bending eg metal, lava. Is there a way I can do this through PEx or through PK because I'm kind of in need of this aspect of PK ATM.

Loony

Verified Member
Some ideas I think would be cool to see in the skill tree:

1.) A simple to understand but very configurable way to set up the skill tree, setting which abilities get what upgrades/unlocks along with setting up where the bending permissions would be given to the player
(Pretty sure this one’s an obvious one and I shouldn’t have to list it but I thought I would anyway)

2.) An In-game GUI for the players to use, this would clear up most confusion for any players trying to use it
(Without going through countless help commands and constantly getting tutorials from the staff members of the server)

3.) A diverse amount of ways to gain skill points. Ranging from fighting, times used, and kills to time played, vanilla xp gathered, players healed, quests done, doing quests, etc
(Maybe it could also have support for stats plugins to find even more ways to gain them)

4.) Support for people with more than 1 element that aren’t the avatar
(I wouldn’t use this on my server, but it seems like this would help out a lot of folks)

5.) Support for plugins like MCMMO to give skill points after the player reaches a specified power level
(Or after every X power levels)

6.) Being able to set a configurable amount of skill points to upgrade/unlock abilities
(Ex: It would take one point to upgrade the range of water manipulation but it would take more to learn/upgrade the water arms freezing shots)

7.) Support for the specific attributes of each move included in the plugin
(Such as the range, damage, cool down, knock back, healing on healing waters, launch distance on earth smash, burn time on fire moves, the amount of punches on rapid punch, etc)
[I do realize this would be tedious, but it would give more control to the owners]

8.) Support for passive moves, such as the speed and jump boost on air/chi and the reduced hunger from chi
(Pretty self explanatory)

Sorry if these are horrid, but yeah, here’s a few suggestions. Like asked ._.’
(I took the time to color, resize, comment, and space all of these mainly because I think it looks pretty xD)
We're already doing 1,2,3,4,6 and 8 from the get go!:)

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
They are not. PK is one of the most configurable plugins I know (of course EpicWorldGen and stuff go above that), and gives a lot of freedom to the server owner and admins compared to other plugins.
If they aren't why earthgrab that hasn't only left has a executer? Oh yeah, they removed it because it balance, and since it doesn't have a config option to bring back old combo, it doesn't give full control. I can give more examples where they didn't gave it in a certain part of the plugin due to unbalance, uncanon or for another reasin

Išsiųsta naudojantis SM-G313HN Tapatalk 4 Lt

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Thisnproabally isn't on the subject of RPG trees, but I would like to see the user be able to add sub bending in stead of just having every sub move from an ability, eg ; earth - lava bending , sand bending , metal bending. Like RPG trees where you have to do a current number of things to level up or to get a move,i want a way to be able to give my users specific sub bending eg metal, lava. Is there a way I can do this through PEx or through PK because I'm kind of in need of this aspect of PK ATM.
give em -bending.fire.combustion, bending.water.bloodbending or something along the lines. Just google "projectkorra permissions" and I'm sure you find in of the two wikis".

And I fun fact if you're interested: The Current RPG plugin randomly assigns to the bender subs, and even the whole element through percentage chances when the plater firsts joins the server. So you can have a player that joins and is automaticly assigned as a waterbending, with only healingwater sub-skills.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Maybe skill tree could include 'gain something by reaching a respective destination point'. For example If I pass through the door way of norther water tribe pakku's training camp, and in the config it is set that doing so I'll get to unlock my icebending, so after I go there I should automaticly "learn" the mastery over icebending.

I think that would be very useful for storytelling rpg purposes. I can imagine I would roleplay Zuko and reenact his first time succesful attempt of lightning redirection, by entering royal palace of the fire lord and meet him in face, and in there, near the throno my lightningbending would then be unlocked :)

YourAverageNerd

Verified Member
give em -bending.fire.combustion, bending.water.bloodbending or something along the lines. Just google "projectkorra permissions" and I'm sure you find in of the two wikis".

And I fun fact if you're interested: The Current RPG plugin randomly assigns to the bender subs, and even the whole element through percentage chances when the plater firsts joins the server. So you can have a player that joins and is automaticly assigned as a waterbending, with only healingwater sub-skills.

Please rewrite the first part of this post, I literally can't understand it.