• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Looking Into Probending Specific Moves

SamuraiSnowman

Verified Member
Ok, you all say I have to 'open my mind to possibilities', but you guys aren't following a cannon game that was in LoK. The point of making this was to better emulate the probending demonstrated in the show, not for non-cannon stuff. Of course there are air moves you could add, but that's not what I suggested.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Ok, you all say I have to 'open my mind to possibilities', but you guys aren't following a cannon game that was in LoK. The point of making this was to better emulate the probending demonstrated in the show, not for non-cannon stuff. Of course there are air moves you could add, but that's not what I suggested.
Someone should suggest the air stuff then. But not everything has to be exactly canon.

Taiko the Waterbender

Verified Member
Look, I wouldnt turn an Airbender if I just wanted to smack everyone. We ALL have seen what the most basic air move can do. The airblast launches the opponents away just with a click. Air Nomads' bending is basicly defense (BASICLY, not all). If we are going to put Airbenders in Probending, they should be only have the defence function. Also, not all the sports should be able to all benders to practise (-se or -ce?). How can a Waterbender play that Earthbending football? How can a Firebender play Frost Heart? ALL kind of benders should have their own sports, like earlier suggested. (If you add airbenders to PB, you would have to add Chi blockers too :p) :3

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
I like this, and if you really want airbender's to have a game have them play that airball game that aang played with sokka. http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Airball
Besides the point, there is nothing to make airbending pro bending off of, because it is just not cannon. Just wait until the next series, they will probably have airbending in pro ending unless there is a better game that they are going to make, which will probably have airbending in it,
I made a thread for that! Why don't you take a look at it: http://projectkorra.com/forum/threads/airball.988/

owlcool

Verified Member
Look, I wouldnt turn an Airbender if I just wanted to smack everyone. We ALL have seen what the most basic air move can do. The airblast launches the opponents away just with a click. Air Nomads' bending is basicly defense (BASICLY, not all). If we are going to put Airbenders in Probending, they should be only have the defence function. Also, not all the sports should be able to all benders to practise (-se or -ce?). How can a Waterbender play that Earthbending football? How can a Firebender play Frost Heart? ALL kind of benders should have their own sports, like earlier suggested. (If you add airbenders to PB, you would have to add Chi blockers too :p) :3
Chi blocking is not a element, so closest chi gets is knocking apple's off of Mai's head. Or race car driving, but wait, All benders can do that stuff? Then chiblocking is not a element. :p

V

Vidcom

Yes, air pushes people, but so do the other elements. I'm fairly sure if custom moves can be made for probending specifically for the 3 canon elements, the same can be done for air to make it weaker, along with some kinds of defense moves too :p
Servers should be able to toggle if airbenders can go in naturally, but therefore this applies to all elements too, which imo would make life far more interesting! Imagine a play style with no element limitations, and combinations are whatever you want! The amount of dynamics in that would be amazing...
Chiblocking doesn't have to be added to probending because airbending does, for one very simple reason! "Probending" is the reason. Pro-bending. Bending is the core part of that compound word. Chiblocking is a martial art on the same value as another element, but it is not technically bending, so naturally it cannot play. However, I'd like to see a chiblocking game made! n.n

Tenket

Verified Member
So, as shown with probending, the probenders do not use the BASIC combat moves, they use much simpler, and smaller moves for each element. Here are what I have come up with:

DiscThrow:
For those of you that have seen earthshard, it'd be rather similar to that. But instead of using a full block, it'd form a stone/sandstone slab that you could shoot out at the opponent. This would provide more knockback, and also provide as a shield if it is left floating in the air in front of you. The earthbender would not be able to reaim this disc after it is thrown, it would just go on to a configured range. Another earthbender could counter this by shifting at it, and it would dissipate after 1 second, along with having a slight cooldown so you may not spam the blocking mechanism.
WaterSlap:
We all know that there is a hosing foul in probending, so torrent or watermanipulation would violate this with being far too large. I'm not exactly sure that this can be made, but think of a smaller watermanipulation that wouldn't be created by a source block. Perhaps a 1/2 block 'disc' of water that would launch at the opponent, yet again this would provide more knockback than watermanipulation. The waterbender would not be able to reaim this shot after it is thrown, but a waterbender may counter it by shifting at it to make it dissipate after 1 second, along with a slight cooldown so you may not spam the blocking mechanism.
EDIT: You could also redirect this only ONE time after it is shot at you, thus allowing for a small volley. For example, if I shot it at someone they could shoot it back at me, but I couldn't send it back again.
FirePunch:
As you see in probending on the show, firebenders don't really send 'blasts' at their opponents, they send small shots created by a punching motion which is faster and deals more knockback than a damage variable. Perhaps this could be a much smaller -- but slightly faster -- stream of fire particles that shoot towards your opponent. This would deal more knockback than a fireblast, but no real damage. The firebender would not be able to reaim this shot, similar to how fireblast currently is. A firebender could block another FirePunch by shifting at it when it is within a range and would vanish after around a second. This would have a cooldown so you may not spam the blocking mechanism.
This is my first suggestion in a LONG time! I hope you guys like my ideas, and please comment what you think! ;)
Why not just use the item plugin?
The red/blue/green probending outfits could limit existing abilities.
That way people who are probending would look the part and their bending would be appropriate for the game.

FIXED

Some examples. (Not final, just to get your juices flowing)

Reduce the damage but increace knockback over the board
Fireblast reduced to one square width (or maybe 2x2),less damage, more knockback.
Charged fireblast has enough explosive power to break the material the earthbender uses, but mainly big knockback, little damage, longer charge

Earthbenders earthblast has reduced damage but same knockback
Raise earth only goes 2 blocks heigh so the firebender can blow away the cover easily.

Waterbenders (im not sure what to change exactly)
Maybe make the watershield better by making it smaller.

Last edited:

Tenket

Verified Member
You have to open your mind to the possibilities, water is everywhere. Also I made a entire thread on Airball and another game. http://projectkorra.com/forum/threads/more-games.1437/#post-16274
Having the poles might be tricky, but you could use a flat huge arena and have a sheep as the ball.
Have 2 sets of uniforms that identify 2 airbending teams. (2 teams of 3 would be appropriate)(orange team vs white team)

Uniforms could also alter abilities with item mod to make them appropriate for the game or maybe even diversify roles and make one player run faster but hit weaker ect
Someone who knows sports could likely think of something better than me.

There should be water traps to flick enemies into as well as walls that you have to throw the sheep over. But throw the sheep too high too often and it resets in the middle again. (Via command block probably)

SamuraiSnowman

Verified Member
Why not just use the item plugin?
The red/blue/green probending outfits could limit existing abilities.
That way people who are probending would look the part and their bending would be appropriate for the game.

FIXED

Some examples. (Not final, just to get your juices flowing)

Reduce the damage but increace knockback over the board
Fireblast reduced to one square width (or maybe 2x2),less damage, more knockback.
Charged fireblast has enough explosive power to break the material the earthbender uses, but mainly big knockback, little damage, longer charge

Earthbenders earthblast has reduced damage but same knockback
Raise earth only goes 2 blocks heigh so the firebender can blow away the cover easily.

Waterbenders (im not sure what to change exactly)
Maybe make the watershield better by making it smaller.
I do believe this suggestion was before ProjectKorra Items was in existence.

Tenket

Verified Member
Yep. It's good to make other games, but here we should focus on cannon pro bending

djmyernos

Verified Member
I get why you want to increase the knock back. It makes it easier to knock the opponent out of the arena. But, we don't want to make it too easy. We don't want to increase the knock back so much that one hit and you're out of the ring. I think some moves could have increased knock back, and some not. Also, take away the burning effect for fire, since that deals knock back as well, and they aren't set on fire in the show. Water manipulation has a good deal of knock back as it is. Earthblast, maybe you could increase a bit. As far as airbenders, I have mixed feelings. I want it to stay similar to the show, but at the same we want to cater to all elements. The knock back for air will have to be decreased a LOT if they are put in Probending. I think individual element games would be awesome. It would be nice to have minigames added instead of just full blown PvP. Those are my thoughts. Maybe if multiple minigames are added to air, it would make up for not having them in Probending. It really depends on whether or not you want it to be exactly like the show, and that is up to the developers and what they want for PK.

djmyernos

Verified Member
Oh, and another suggestion for Firebending minigames could be Hide 'n' Explode, which is mention in ATLA. Not sure exactly how this would work, but could involve something like hide and seek and then you have to fight to the death when you find someone.

TheBlueSpirit

Verified Member
I've been thinking, how often do the staff actually take it upon themselves to develop suggestions? Because these Probending moves from the beginning of this thread are pretty well thought out, and it'd be cool if this could get more staff attention. The Probending plugin doesn't seem to be very high on the priorities list.