• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Looking Into Probending Specific Moves

SamuraiSnowman

Verified Member
So, as shown with probending, the probenders do not use the BASIC combat moves, they use much simpler, and smaller moves for each element. Here are what I have come up with:

DiscThrow:
For those of you that have seen earthshard, it'd be rather similar to that. But instead of using a full block, it'd form a stone/sandstone slab that you could shoot out at the opponent. This would provide more knockback, and also provide as a shield if it is left floating in the air in front of you. The earthbender would not be able to reaim this disc after it is thrown, it would just go on to a configured range. Another earthbender could counter this by shifting at it, and it would dissipate after 1 second, along with having a slight cooldown so you may not spam the blocking mechanism.
WaterSlap:
We all know that there is a hosing foul in probending, so torrent or watermanipulation would violate this with being far too large. I'm not exactly sure that this can be made, but think of a smaller watermanipulation that wouldn't be created by a source block. Perhaps a 1/2 block 'disc' of water that would launch at the opponent, yet again this would provide more knockback than watermanipulation. The waterbender would not be able to reaim this shot after it is thrown, but a waterbender may counter it by shifting at it to make it dissipate after 1 second, along with a slight cooldown so you may not spam the blocking mechanism.
EDIT: You could also redirect this only ONE time after it is shot at you, thus allowing for a small volley. For example, if I shot it at someone they could shoot it back at me, but I couldn't send it back again.
FirePunch:
As you see in probending on the show, firebenders don't really send 'blasts' at their opponents, they send small shots created by a punching motion which is faster and deals more knockback than a damage variable. Perhaps this could be a much smaller -- but slightly faster -- stream of fire particles that shoot towards your opponent. This would deal more knockback than a fireblast, but no real damage. The firebender would not be able to reaim this shot, similar to how fireblast currently is. A firebender could block another FirePunch by shifting at it when it is within a range and would vanish after around a second. This would have a cooldown so you may not spam the blocking mechanism.
NOTE: The water and earth moves would NOT require you to select a source, it'd automatically choose the source in front of you.. Being in the show the fighting is much quicker and they don't look at the sources.
This is my first suggestion in a LONG time! I hope you guys like my ideas, and please comment what you think! ;)

Last edited:

WaterFan99

Verified Member
So, as shown with probending, the probenders do not use the BASIC combat moves, they use much simpler, and smaller moves for each element. Here are what I have come up with:

DiscThrow:
For those of you that have seen earthshard, it'd be rather similar to that. But instead of using a full block, it'd form a stone/sandstone slab that you could shoot out at the opponent. This would provide more knockback, and also provide as a shield if it is left floating in the air in front of you. The earthbender would not be able to redirect this disc after it is thrown, it would just go on to a configured range. Another earthbender could counter this by shifting at it, and it would dissipate after 1 second, along with having a slight cooldown so you may not spam the blocking mechanism.
WaterSlap:
We all know that there is a hosing foul in probending, so torrent or watermanipulation would violate this with being far too large. I'm not exactly sure that this can be made, but think of a smaller watermanipulation that wouldn't be created by a source block. Perhaps a 1/2 block 'disc' of water that would launch at the opponent, yet again this would provide more knockback than watermanipulation. The waterbender would not be able to redirect this shot after it is thrown, but a waterbender may counter it by shifting at it to make it dissipate after 1 second, along with a slight cooldown so you may not spam the blocking mechanism.
FirePunch:
As you see in probending on the show, firebenders don't really send 'blasts' at their opponents, they send small shots created by a punching motion which is faster and deals more knockback than a damage variable. Perhaps this could be a much smaller -- but slightly faster -- stream of fire particles that shoot towards your opponent. This would deal more knockback than a fireblast, but no real damage. The firebender would not be able to redirect this shot, similar to how fireblast currently is. A firebender could block another FirePunch by shifting at it when it is within a range and would vanish after around a second. This would have a cooldown so you may not spam the blocking mechanism.
This is my first suggestion in a LONG time! I hope you guys like my ideas, and please comment what you think! ;)
i like it... but i think water should be redirectable. It was always allowed because its not much water that you can throw back. Fire should be only blockable by shooting another firepunch at it similair how uncharged fireblast blocks charged fireblast. I think Discthrows counter is fine tho.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
What about air? We cannot just leave it out, even if the airbenders never participated in probending, why not make them able to? Airbenders may be pacifists, but they are evolving. And what if an airbender on a server wants to play a game, but they aren't allowed? Imagine how upset they would be. We shouldn't really restrict something like this to just certain elements.

SamuraiSnowman

Verified Member
What about air? We cannot just leave it out, even if the airbenders never participated in probending, why not make them able to? Airbenders may be pacifists, but they are evolving. And what if an airbender on a server wants to play a game, but they aren't allowed? Imagine how upset they would be. We shouldn't really restrict something like this to just certain elements.
That is just how the game was played. The reason there were no airbenders, was because there was never enough of them! They were basically extinct. If you think about it, air would be far too powerful for a probending match. Airbenders could simply send a tornado across the arena and push the other team off.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Isn't that why you made this thread? For more basic moves for probending. Or did I read the title wrong??? Hmmmm? HMMMMMM?

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Think of the players on a server. People like airbending, so they choose it. Later they want to play a match in probending and they cant because airbenders aren't allowed to participate. They would be confused, angry, and upset. And having airbending in probending is logical, because as you said, and I quote (literally)-----
The reason there were no airbenders, was because there was never enough of them! They were basically extinct.
On a server there are enough airbenders. Elementary my dear Watson, 2 + 2 does equal 4 in this case.

Venusaur0817

Verified Member
Yes, with regular people becoming airbenders, I'm sure in their free time they may want to participate in Probending. The only reason they were left out is because there were never enough of them, with there only being 5 airbenders in existence by 170 AG, and most of them being young children, and their father too spiritual to ever participate. With new, arguably less spiritual airbenders, I'm sure they will want to participate, and that the people who run probending would probably consider allowing the participation of airbenders, perhaps in 10-30 years, when the airbender population really begins to spread out and boom. As for them being "too powerful", a tornado would obviously be against the rules, and don't forget, all elements are balanced, and airbending would actually fit in well, with how its used. I'd support its addition. Leaving them out isn't really fair.

owlcool

Verified Member
I like this, and if you really want airbender's to have a game have them play that airball game that aang played with sokka. http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Airball
Besides the point, there is nothing to make airbending pro bending off of, because it is just not cannon. Just wait until the next series, they will probably have airbending in pro ending unless there is a better game that they are going to make, which will probably have airbending in it,

V

Vidcom

If you are adding air to probending, you'd need to have teams of 4.. Which is rather crazy to have such a large team.
I get your approach, but please remember this is Project Korra, that plugin where it's all about what the server can do rather than what we tell it to c: As for your concerns of OP moves, no worries, I'm sure some air specific moves can be made to limit this. Tornados won't be a worry in the same way that massive vortexes of fire aren't: hosing fouls!

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
I like this, and if you really want airbender's to have a game have them play that airball game that aang played with sokka. http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Airball
Besides the point, there is nothing to make airbending pro bending off of, because it is just not cannon. Just wait until the next series, they will probably have airbending in pro ending unless there is a better game that they are going to make, which will probably have airbending in it,
Is it even possible to play airball in minecraft?

Venusaur0817

Verified Member
1. 4 is not more than enough, i think it is just fine.
2. I think, with the series over, we can make more than just air ball or probending games. There is also power ball (wing and wei's metalbending game), and also that game the earthbender kids did in "Tales of Ba Sing Se" during Iroh's story. Also, there is the game the earthbender kids played in the ATLA Finale (I said ATLA, not LoK) where they played a game where they launched a ball over the fire nation tanks. I am sure we can come up with fire nation and water tribe games! As King Bumi said, You gotta open your mind to the possibilities! You guys may think this plugin's potential is limited, but I say its Limitless! This plugin can do much more than we imagine it to do!

owlcool

Verified Member
1. 4 is not more than enough, i think it is just fine.
2. I think, with the series over, we can make more than just air ball or probending games. There is also power ball (wing and wei's metalbending game), and also that game the earthbender kids did in "Tales of Ba Sing Se" during Iroh's story. Also, there is the game the earthbender kids played in the ATLA Finale (I said ATLA, not LoK) where they played a game where they launched a ball over the fire nation tanks. I am sure we can come up with fire nation and water tribe games! As King Bumi said, You gotta open your mind to the possibilities! You guys may think this plugin's potential is limited, but I say its Limitless! This plugin can do much more than we imagine it to do!
Look. At. My. Thread.I.Suggested.Power.Disc.And.Airball.In.A.Thread. By themselves, so look at my thread. A start for a Firebending game would be Agni Kai.

V

Vidcom

Since not all firebenders maybe want to fight the death, the possibility of a light hearted game for them is sorta needed :p

I'm thinking tag done with combustion or lightning?

owlcool

Verified Member
What's that, normal hide and seek but you burn the fucker when you find them? XD
No, it is in a ATLA comic. Instead of the hider being found, they have to hide and scare the seeker, hence the name, hide and shriek.