• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Let's Discuss: Sub-Elements

Joeri

Verified Member
As Mod from BendersCraft i've always loved Sub Element related things. We also had once a project for it but the Leader of the project disbanded it. How i hope to see the sub elements is as a second bending. For example when doing /b b who Joerigobel, it will show:

Joerigobel
-Waterbending (Dark blue)
- Bloodbending (Lighter blue)
- Firebending

Anyway, My ideas are
Sub Elements would have there own Sub Element related moves. Not just 1 move or multiple passives

Water
- Blood
This Spec could be OP only to prevent it from being OverPowered
I know we have bloodbending, But i think there can be added way more to it
for example. you could block the blood flow that leads to your eyes or to your arms, Causing you to have blindness, or not being able to bend for a short period of time. To prevent this from being OP you could make it so in the config that the hole Sub Element can only be used at night. What Amon could also do in the series was bend multiple people at once. He for example. Bloodbended Mako and Korra at the same time.

- Plant
This is the same as Blood. Its in the game but there could be added way more then it.
I'd love to be able to bend vines and leaves like the Swamp benders, adding moves like VineWall. Or Plantbinding, a move wich would restrain the target with plants. Or VineWhip. A lot can be added to this. I also know a nice passive for this called "HomeLands". If you are in a Forest or Jungle biome your power increases

- Ice
This really needs to be worked on. Ice Spike isn't that good. So isnt surge prison. This sub element should focus on slowing targets, freezing them. Basically restricting movements
For example. Aang once freezed Chains with a icy breath. Katara could do the same. So for a move you could add for example "IcyBreath" It will send a burst of white particles forward. What i mean with White Particles is for example the "snowshovel" partical effect.

Fire
- Lightning
In this sub element there could be added way more then just the attack "Lightning" for example creating shock waves that stun people. Forming a bolt of Lightning in your hands. dealing extra damage to who you hit or a Static Shield. Etc

- Combustion
To this. i really don't know what to add expect for a combustion attack. There isn't just alot more...

Earth
- Metal
In this spec, i think it should focus on bending iron etc. I know its possible to do that but its by far not what i meant.
For example. Metal Swipe. Send a swipe of Particles forward. you could for example take the void particles. or block breaking particles. What also could be made is Metal Armor and a ability that if you click somewhere, a line of Iron Bars will appear on which you can walk. like a pathway

- Sand
For this there is a lot of creative stuff that you could add
For example. sink holes. Slow sand. suffocation. walls. slashes. blasts
for example: SandWave. it would send a 5x5 wide shock wave of sand forward. Knocking targets in the air and dealing damage. Height and width could be configurable in the config.
Or a sink hole, a idea that someone else posted. I like it

- Lava
With this spec i think it should focuse on dealing damage. it should be a little bit like water.
For example a attack called Magma Wave. Sending a small shock wave (Like Sand wave) of lava forward. dealing damage. And a attack called Lava Blast. It would be like EarthBlast but you could only select this on stone, Not grass or dirt. Also a move like Lava torrent. but different. Not having that it goes around you but just that you shift somewhere, then click somewhere and in that direction goes a controllable line of Lava.

Air
- Sound
We never really had much experience with this Sub-Element or Style. But its there.
Moves like SoundBurst. Soundblast. would focus on blocking bending or giving nausea or scattering armor (Not to much. just dealing armor damage)

- Astral Projection
This is new in avatar. It showed up in Korra Book 2 and Korra Book 3. What could be made here is a move that you leave your body. It would leave a NPC behind of yourself while you get a transparent effect. What i mean with transparent effect is the effects you see in Lobby's
on servers like WynnCraft. There's also a bukkit plugin for this called "Ghosts"
Anyway, if you leave your body you are able to fly and look around. you cant hurt people. and also. Right clicking would bring you to nearest player. while shifting will return you to your main body.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

TheOneAndOnlyApple

Verified Member
I love the transparent ideas on the spiritual projection part of airbending, it would give it a more realistic feel as to being in spirit form. Soundbending was not explained in depth in the show, but it was there, so basically we can take it to where ever we would like to go. Love the moves and some of the effects for them in the soundbending section. About the lava bending however, would mass amounts of lava blocks moving constantly cause client/server lag? We introduced a particle effect idea earlier on in this thread.
It would be cool to possibly pick one sub element as your "main" bending stance in the world but would this be changeable? Could you possibly have both? Just some thoughts on your post, great ideas and I cant wait to see how they effect the plugin!

~Apple<3 Eh, you know me anyways, haha.

SamuraiSnowman

Verified Member
Lavabending.
Although the skill is most often performed through the use of both earthbending and firebending, skilled earthbenders such as Ghazan are capable of performing the technique by phase changing earth. Using this technique, Ghazan is able to form shuriken-like lava projectiles capable of burning through several mediums as well as trails of molten rock to attack his opponents.
http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Specialized_bending_techniques

I think that holding a flint, or some kind of earth rock, you can use it similarly to a bottle. Like how Ghazan got those rocks inside his cell, he was able to bend them from his hands.
Also, instead of having a lava block, it could be particle based.. Removing the issue of leaving stone, and griefing.
Something similar to a few particles in the shape of a shuriken?
I think we found the place for Mist to use his vortex of fire thing!! :)

ashe36

Verified Member
I'm not hating on anyone here, I would just like to suggest that people stop suggesting sound bending as a sub-element, because it hasn't officially been released in the show, and, although I know it is a popular idea and want of fans, I believe we're trying to stay as close as possible to the 2 series.

Joeri

Verified Member
I'm not hating on anyone here, I would just like to suggest that people stop suggesting sound bending as a sub-element, because it hasn't officially been released in the show, and, although I know it is a popular idea and want of fans, I believe we're trying to stay as close as possible to the 2 series.
I don't see why your commenting that since the Thread name is "Lets discuss"
And your wrong, there are sub elements in the show. Read the Wiki.

Joeri

Verified Member
I love the transparent ideas on the spiritual projection part of airbending, it would give it a more realistic feel as to being in spirit form. Soundbending was not explained in depth in the show, but it was there, so basically we can take it to where ever we would like to go. Love the moves and some of the effects for them in the soundbending section. About the lava bending however, would mass amounts of lava blocks moving constantly cause client/server lag? We introduced a particle effect idea earlier on in this thread.
It would be cool to possibly pick one sub element as your "main" bending stance in the world but would this be changeable? Could you possibly have both? Just some thoughts on your post, great ideas and I cant wait to see how they effect the plugin!

~Apple<3 Eh, you know me anyways, haha.
Yea i also like the idea of being able to pick only 1, But there should be a command /bending subadd or something like that. About the Lava, i don't think it will cause to much lag since 1 block of lava (LavaBlast) wouldn't cause to much lag, And MagmaWave could be made smaller with config options if that comes out

Joeri

Verified Member
As Mod from BendersCraft i've always loved Sub Element related things. We also had once a project for it but the Leader of the project disbanded it. How i hope to see the sub elements is as a second bending. For example when doing /b b who Joerigobel, it will show:

Joerigobel
-Waterbending (Dark blue)
- Bloodbending (Lighter blue)
- Firebending

Anyway, My ideas are
Sub Elements would have there own Sub Element related moves. Not just 1 move or multiple passives

Water
- Blood
I know we have bloodbending, But i think there can be added way more to it
for example. you could block the blood flow that leads to your eyes or to your arms, Causing you to have blindness, or not being able to bend for a short period of time. To prevent this from being OP you could make it so in the config that the hole Sub Element can only be used at night. What Amon could also do in the series was bend multiple people at once. He for example. Bloodbended Mako and Korra at the same time.

- Plant
This is the same as Blood. Its in the game but there could be added way more then it.
I'd love to be able to bend vines and leaves like the Swamp benders, adding moves like VineWall. Or Plantbinding, a move wich would restrain the target with plants. Or VineWhip. A lot can be added to this. I also know a nice passive for this called "HomeLands". If you are in a Forest or Jungle biome your power increases

- Ice
This really needs to be worked on. Ice Spike isn't that good. So isnt surge prison. This sub element should focus on slowing targets, freezing them. Basically restricting movements
For example. Aang once freezed Chains with a icy breath. Katara could do the same. So for a move you could add for example "IcyBreath" It will send a burst of white particles forward. What i mean with White Particles is for example the "snowshovel" partical effect.

Fire
- Lightning
In this sub element there could be added way more then just the attack "Lightning" for example creating shock waves that stun people. Forming a bolt of Lightning in your hands. dealing extra damage to who you hit or a Static Shield. Etc

- Combustion
To this. i really don't know what to add expect for a combustion attack. There isn't just alot more...

Earth
- Metal
In this spec, i think it should focus on bending iron etc. I know its possible to do that but its by far not what i meant.
For example. Metal Swipe. Send a swipe of Particles forward. you could for example take the void particles. or block breaking particles. What also could be made is Metal Armor and a ability that if you click somewhere, a line of Iron Bars will appear on which you can walk. like a pathway

- Sand
For this there is a lot of creative stuff that you could add
For example. sink holes. Slow sand. suffocation. walls. slashes. blasts
for example: SandWave. it would send a 5x5 wide shock wave of sand forward. Knocking targets in the air and dealing damage. Height and width could be configurable in the config.
Or a sink hole, a idea that someone else posted. I like it

- Lava
With this spec i think it should focuse on dealing damage. it should be a little bit like water.
For example a attack called Magma Wave. Sending a small shock wave (Like Sand wave) of lava forward. dealing damage. And a attack called Lava Blast. It would be like EarthBlast but you could only select this on stone, Not grass or dirt. Also a move like Lava torrent. but different. Not having that it goes around you but just that you shift somewhere, then click somewhere and in that direction goes a controllable line of Lava.

Air
- Sound
We never really had much experience with this Sub-Element or Style. But its there.
Moves like SoundBurst. Soundblast. would focus on blocking bending or giving nausea or scattering armor (Not to much. just dealing armor damage)

- Astral Projection
This is new in avatar. It showed up in Korra Book 2 and Korra Book 3. What could be made here is a move that you leave your body. It would leave a NPC behind of yourself while you get a transparent effect. What i mean with transparent effect is the effects you see in Lobby's
on servers like WynnCraft. There's also a bukkit plugin for this called "Ghosts"
Anyway, if you leave your body you are able to fly and look around. you cant hurt people. and also. Right clicking would bring you to nearest player. while shifting will return you to your main body.

Thanks for reading.
Re-did my post completly ^

SamuraiSnowman

Verified Member
Yea i also like the idea of being able to pick only 1, But there should be a command /bending subadd or something like that. About the Lava, i don't think it will cause to much lag since 1 block of lava (LavaBlast) wouldn't cause to much lag, And MagmaWave could be made smaller with config options if that comes out
With the /bending subadd, the permissions for each move or 'sub element' are already in the game. If we added this it could conflict with various permission plugins..

SamuraiSnowman

Verified Member
Apple said that SOUND BENDING hasn't been implemented in the show yet, not just subelements in general..

TheOneAndOnlyApple

Verified Member
Actually, I kind of did, as I provided and example of sound bending in my post, it has been shown in the show, just not in depth. I would say sound bending is a partial sub element, but not enough to be considered one fully. Airbenders did not actually bend sound but could amplify sound with airbending in general, they could make them selves almost completely "soundless" by airbending sound waves from around there body. This was probably used by Aang many times when sneaking around or hiding.
If you have another instance in which sound bending was used more in depth in the show, or you think it was not used at all please reply! Thank you!

~Apple<3

ashe36

Verified Member
You are correct! There are sub elements in the show! And I posted that comment here to keep people on track.

ashe36

Verified Member
Actually, I kind of did, as I provided and example of sound bending in my post, it has been shown in the show, just not in depth. I would say sound bending is a partial sub element, but not enough to be considered one fully. Airbenders did not actually bend sound but could amplify sound with airbending in general, they could make them selves almost completely "soundless" by airbending sound waves from around there body. This was probably used by Aang many times when sneaking around or hiding.
If you have another instance in which sound bending was used more in depth in the show, or you think it was not used at all please reply! Thank you!

~Apple<3
I agree with you that airbenders could manipulate the air around them to amplify or remove sound, but, as you said, this does not make it a complete element. The struggle with soundbending is how it would be implemented into a minecraft environment without being silly or uneeded. Many functionalities of sound bending I've seen (not yours) are essentially the same. I think we should focus on adding more abilities and skills to airbending instead of trying to expand on something that is very little mentioned in the show.

Joeri

Verified Member
You are correct! There are sub elements in the show! And I posted that comment here to keep people on track.
Oh, i misread your post. I thought you meant to stop discussing about all sub elements. Instead of just sound...

Fuzzy

Verified Member
You know, It might actually be in the show, but maybe it just hasn't been announced... As I was re-watching the first episode in book 3, Bumi discovers he has airbending he rushes to Air Temple Island to tell Tenzin the good news. Upon his arrival, he runs into Tenzins youngest girl, Ikki, and he asks her where her father is. She then Screams at her father "Dad!" but if you notice her hair and clothing, they begin to blow as if she is airbending. To my understanding, It may be that she used her airbending skills to amplify her scream so her father could hear her while he was inside the Temple.

Episode: http://www.legendofkorra.tv/book-3/legend-of-korra-book-3-episode-1/
Time Frame: 4:13

Gahshunk

Verified Member
You know, It might actually be in the show, but maybe it just hasn't been announced... As I was re-watching the first episode in book 3, Bumi discovers he has airbending he rushes to Air Temple Island to tell Tenzin the good news. Upon his arrival, he runs into Tenzins youngest girl, Ikki, and he asks her where her father is. She then Screams at her father "Dad!" but if you notice her hair and clothing, they begin to blow as if she is airbending. To my understanding, It may be that she used her airbending skills to amplify her scream so her father could hear her while he was inside the Temple.

Episode: http://www.legendofkorra.tv/book-3/legend-of-korra-book-3-episode-1/
Time Frame: 4:13
Aang used it to amplify the rage of his bison whistle, too ;D

ashe36

Verified Member
I understand that there is a possibility that sound bending is in the show. That I never denied. What I'm saying is that there aren't many good ways to add it to a plugin, especially since it isn't even officially included in the series.

Hartford15

Verified Member
Someone probably already said this but on servers when you login you should be asked what sub-element you want. Bloodbending shouldn't really be on since it has been in the plugin for so long, same with lightning.

Water as an example could be ice and plants. When you choose one of those u get extra moves. I am pretty much rambling because i don't know how to put my idea into words :D

Hartford15

Verified Member
What I mean with the bloodbending and lightning is that they shouldn't be sub-elements only because they have been in the plugin for so long it would be awkward to change it now

Hartford15

Verified Member
For a plant bending move if someone is on grass u could somehow make it tall grass and it would restrain them for a while.
And for ice we could the ice ramp thing water benders do to move faster on land