• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Fastswim Alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

paliate

Verified Member
I quite like the idea, although I feel like removing FastSwim would be too harsh.

If that was to happen, a waterbender as a firebender, per example, would have the same mobility underwater, which isn't - or shouldn't be - desirable, since waterbenders would be moving in their own element. The same happens with Airbenders: they can manipulate their surroundings in order to affect their movements. I would agree with a nerf, but not its removal. Maybe as deep as you swim, the slower you would move?

The addition of WaterSurfing to WaterSpout seems like a good idea! It has been seen loads of times in the show, and I would be happy if it was actually added, specially if the waterbender would be able to waterbend while WaterSurfing: small moves like WaterManipulation or IceSpike, as we've seen Katara and Aang both WaterSurfing and creating a maelstrom around the serpent in 'The Serpent's Pass'.
The problem with being able to fastswim underwater is that it was never (to my knowledge) displayed in the show.
And I assume the speed of watersurf would be configurable just as fastswim is now.

If fastswimming was canon then that'd be fine, but as it stands I don't think it is.
And they've had many opportunities in the show to display that ability.
When it comes to just making the plugin generally canon I think that these details make all of the difference.

Taiko the Waterbender

Verified Member
The problem with being able to fastswim underwater is that it was never (to my knowledge) displayed in the show.
And I assume the speed of watersurf would be configurable just as fastswim is now.

If fastswimming was canon then that'd be fine, but as it stands I don't think it is.
And they've had many opportunities in the show to display that ability.
When it comes to just making the plugin generally canon I think that these details make all of the difference.
You are right, it was never shown in the show nor the comics, as I recall. But I believe that, even if it wasn't shown, it doesn't mean that it is impossible. If all PK abilities were to be canon, the plugin would change a lot.

paliate

Verified Member
You are right, it was never shown in the show nor the comics, as I recall. But I believe that, even if it wasn't shown, it doesn't mean that it is impossible. If all PK abilities were to be canon, the plugin would change a lot.
Change for the better, yes.
And as I've said-- there have been many opportunities/situations where this could have been presented and it had not.
If it was possible it would have been done or slightly suggested at by now. They've had 7 seasons between both shows to do so.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Well all of them infact are canon. Just wondering, can anybody name one that isn't?

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
If that was to happen, a waterbender as a firebender, per example, would have the same mobility underwater, which isn't - or shouldn't be - desirable, since waterbenders would be moving in their own element. The same happens with Airbenders: they can manipulate their surroundings in order to affect their movements. I would agree with a nerf, but not its removal. Maybe as deep as you swim, the slower you would move?
That really wouldn't do anything, as it worsen the situation of having the waterbender go back to the surface much slower (leaving him/her still camp in water for much longer). Also, drowning!

Taiko the Waterbender

Verified Member
Well all of them infact are canon. Just wondering, can anybody name one that isn't?
Let's see some fire abilities...

A firebender creating a wall of fire while jetting... Why does this sounds familiar to me?

A firebender casually flying around with flames... Awesome!

That fire wall obviously took no effort at all...

I am not saying these abilities need to be removed, because they don't! All I am saying is that the abilities need a rework.

"We have never seen a waterbender FastSwim in the show!" You're right, but we have also never seen a firebender, a casual firebender, which means not induced by the Comet Sozin nor the Avatar State, even less being a Master as Jeong Jeong (who actually did take more tham a milisecond to burst the wall ), being able to summon a giant wall with a breathe and flying randomly around using FireJet. Quoting @paliate
there have been many opportunities/situations where this could have been presented and it had not.
Like when Mako and Bolin were fighting Unalaq. Why didn't he just raise a giant fire wall? Why didn't Zuko used a FireWall to trap Aang in the dozens of times he tried to capture him? Why, when fighting against Ming Hua in the Resort, didn't Mako jet away of her strikes or out of her range? I guess we will never know...

----------------------
That really wouldn't do anything, as it worsen the situation of having the waterbender go back to the surface much slower (leaving him/her still camp in water for much longer). Also, drowning!
That is the waterbender's problem if (s)he decides to go deep enough to drown. With this implemented, waterbenders, who do not want to drown, if they wanted to stick to the swimming strategy, they would had to swim at the surface (and this is where WaterSurfing comes in) or some meters below. If they decided to swim deeper and deeper, they would eventually not be able to swim faster than a casual player. That would grant their opponents the oportunity to actually blow an attack on them.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Lol you just proven my fact that they are canon. Not sure what you're pointing out there.

Are those abilities different? Well yeah-- no from you're given gifs. Firejet? Well they are different because they are used under the influence of avatarstate or sozin's comet.

Yeah I do agree abilities need rework-- but so needs SwiftSwim.

Last edited:

paliate

Verified Member
If you want to remove the ability to jet and firewall then make a suggestion about it.
But as it stands you've just compared skill level to the plugin. There currently isn't a MCMMO type aspect to this plugin, it is up to the servers to implement that if they so wish. ProjectKorra has only done their job to implement the moves displayed clearly on the show.

Every move you linked above has been displayed properly, and we have met a few powerful waterbenders that still have not fastswam underwater.
If you're still trying to argue that fastswim needs to be in the plugin then you've failed, sorry.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
"We have never seen waterbender FastSwim in the show!" You're right, but we have also never seen a firebender, a casual firebender, which means not induced by the Comet Sozin nor the Avatar State, even less being a Master as Jeong Jeong (who actually did take more tham a milisecond to burst the wall ), being able to summon a giant wall with a breathe and flying randomly around using FireJet. Quoting @paliate
Nitpicking who is master and who isn't is not the best argument, because again - there are a lot of moves who were only displayed by the masters. E.g. tremorsense was only done by prodigies benders. as well as surge, illumination, suffocation, tornado (required 7-9 people), twister and healing waters. I also wanna put out that for an ability to be introduced must meet three criterias: balance, logic and canon. And if we were to focus onto what level of bender used the said technique, we would have a limited set of abilities now and in the future.

Techniques that you listed, like "firespouting + wall of fire", are like planned and taken into consideration (accordingly by the "looking into" tags).

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
"I would agree with a nerf, but not its removal."

I asume you're not referring to this nerf-- on second thought, this is actually a change than a 'nerf'.
====================
That is the waterbender's problem if (s)he decides to go deep enough to drown. With this implemented, waterbenders, who do not want to drown, if they wanted to stick to the swimming strategy, they would had to swim at the surface (and this is where WaterSurfing comes in) or some meters below. If they decided to swim deeper and deeper, they would eventually not be able to swim faster than a casual player. That would grant their opponents the oportunity to actually blow an attack on them.
Yeah, but it still enforces a camping problem. A Waterbender as deep as they could, as use waterbubble at the right moment before they start drowning. Unless you're waterbubble change suggestion is introduced to the plugin - that issue is resolve. However-- they can choose to swim not so deep level (example like below right above where their head top meets oxygen surface) and leave it impossible for earthbenders to hit the waterbender. But then again - water earth-proof issue/bug could be resolved.

AndDrew

Verified Member
Just keep it as it is, it's fine. Why change it? It doesn't need it. Pretty much any element besides fire can counter swiftswim in one way or another.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Just keep it as it is, it's fine. Why change it? It doesn't need it. Pretty much any element besides fire can counter swiftswim in one way or another.
Good luck with that as an earthbender? Also, it's an endgame once the waterbender retaches out of their range, because, as paliate said, most elements can't do much at that moment. If they were to reach the waterbender in deep lake, which is kinda slow process and in&out a problem itself, they would be vulnerable to any attacks by a waterbender due to their bending being weaken in water.

I say giving the SwiftSwim passive a short duration and LONG cooldown would solve that problem.

samson Galvin

Verified Member
I think it actually was used in the show, just not under the water. In one of the episode in season 3 where Katara dresses up like a spirit to help a fishing tribe in the middle of a lake. She was running from Aang and reached water and used fast swim to get to the other side.

Vahagn

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Lets completely disregard the battle of Republic City where Korra saved Iroh from drowning, in where she was able to swim VERY fast using her waterbending, WITHOUT the use of Avatar State

BryanPlays

Verified Member
Lets completely disregard the battle of Republic City where Korra saved Iroh from drowning, in where she was able to swim VERY fast using her waterbending, WITHOUT the use of Avatar State
It's a cartoon. Things get exaggerated. Like how chiblockers can jump SUPER high.

Status
Not open for further replies.