• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Waterbending - Tidal Wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero

Verified Member
Element: Water
Sub-Element: Add-on to Torrent
Description: Unleash a tidal wave from impact.
Effect: Causes a big wave to spread out from where you landed.
Control: Fall from a high distance into water to cause a tidal wave pushing outwards. If anything gets hit, they will get knockback a considerable distance.

How is it useful?
  • Can escape from enemies pursuing you.
  • Able to keep them in the water with right positioning.
  • Can link it to other moves.
How is it not OP?
  • Does not do any damage.
  • Can push enemies out of the water.
  • Can only do it when falling into water.
  • Can't do it while shifting.
  • Must fall from a certain height. (I say around the top of waterspout.)
Proof: Katara did it when she was doing a cannon ball off of a cliff.​

Last edited:

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Basically this > http://projectkorra.com/threads/torrent-canoonball.3119/ ?
Ability: Torrent
Alternative/Addon: When a waterbender jumps in water from a great height with torrent select, (s)he would cause tidal waves to create that would wash away anyone around him/her. This would be in a similar fashion to shockwave and airburst, except this requires to land in water rather on a solid surface. I propose it should deal the damage and knockback similar tp shockwave, except the other way around (if shockwave deals bigger damage and smaller knockback, then this passive should deal smaller damage and bigger knockback, and visa versa.) as waterb. concept is to be defensive and offensive like earthb.
Canon: Katara did this in her freetime while with her friends. She tried to do canon ball by jumping from a cliff into the water, and then aang went washed away.
(01:43-51)
And why are you making a same thread if you had already contributed to the same one? :p

Hero

Verified Member
Basically this > http://projectkorra.com/threads/torrent-canoonball.3119/ ?

And why are you making a same thread if you had already contributed to the same one? :p
Uh, because that's their thread, not mine. That is a year old and I don't really like how it is a Torrent passive as that can easily be spammed as Torrent's wave on its own doesn't have much of a cooldown. So if someone were to do the Torrent passive, then they could spawn another wave and another and another. With my version, you can't spam it unless you continuously go up to the distance and drop. I also forgot to add that you cannot do it when you are shifting. He was also suggesting that it does some damage too which would me things very op quickly.

Last edited:

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
I think he said that it won't be spammable.
So if someone were to do the Torrent passive, then they could spawn another wave and another and another.
- what do you mean?

Maybe damage of this could be of shockwave. Oh wait, he said himself too.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
And you're passive prevents torrent spam how? Speaking of passives, in my opinion this shouldn't being one, as I believe they are suppose to be smaller bending additions than of an ability and they purpose to be less interactive. For example metal passive just opens up metal doors, which isn't that of a huge feature and doesn't influence the world around the bender that must to his power.

Another reason why I disagree, is that this isn't a toggle thing, which I see problems flooding players around. Korra has been diving into the water from great heights a dozen of times, and she didn't trigger this AoE Tsunami affect. Besides, take an example from Shockwave and AirBurst - you can trigger whenever you want, because they aren't passives, so I don't why yours must be separated when it shares a common resembles to its 2 counterpart of a different elements.

Hero

Verified Member
And you're passive prevents torrent spam how? Speaking of passives, in my opinion this shouldn't being one, as I believe they are suppose to be smaller bending additions than of an ability and they purpose to be less interactive. For example metal passive just opens up metal doors, which isn't that of a huge feature and doesn't influence the world around the bender that must to his power.

Another reason why I disagree, is that this isn't a toggle thing, which I see problems flooding players around. Korra has been diving into the water from great heights a dozen of times, and she didn't trigger this AoE Tsunami affect. Besides, take an example from Shockwave and AirBurst - you can trigger whenever you want, because they aren't passives, so I don't why yours must be separated when it shares a common resembles to its 2 counterpart of a different elements.
OK
I don't understand alot of what you said but I understand the flood problem. I mentioned in the post that you can't trigger it if you hold shift.

And as for passives. There's no rule saying a passive can't be a good feature. And we aren't talking about other elements; we are talking about water.

And my passive prevents torrent spam because you have to drop from a distance and you can be shifting while you fall into the water.

Last edited:

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Basically, reasons for not being passive
  • This closely resembles of the counterparts: shockwave and airburst.
    • Which makes less, why you can't toggle off this technique.
  • Not really canon, because it wasn't always active when waterbenders jumped of the clip.
  • Passive aren't suppose/menat to do much unlike abilities (in my opinion).
  • Don't see the point of your argument, because you haven't mention about it preventing torrent spamming. (in fact you did, forget that)

Hero

Verified Member
Basically, reasons for not being passive
  • This closely resembles of the counterparts: shockwave and airburst
    • Which makes less, why you can't toggle off this technique
  • Not really canon, because it wasn't always active when waterbenders jumped of the clip
  • Passive aren't suppose/menat to do much unlike abilities (in my opinion)
  • Don't see the point of your argument, because you haven't mention about it preventing torrent spamming.
I just mentioned why it prevents spam...

Shockwave is a damage ability. Airburst is also a damage ability. They aren't counter parts. And I literally just told you that you can toggle it off.

It's canon, it just doesn't happen often. Another reason why it should be a passive.

Whether you think a passive should do things or not is up to you. There isn't a rule saying you cannot have passive do things. That is extra true when that passive in question doesn't do damage.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Both of them do deal knockback, as far as I remember.

Ok. I re-read everything again and now I understood that you need to be holding shift after the whole fall.

Having the 18 abilities isn't that bad. Having not equal a number of them between all elements is. All benders are diversity, so seeing them all capable of doing same abilities would scratch the idea of making them diversive. Why is so that all the players must have all abilities binded of the same element? It gives them a strategic way to use what they have in their arsenal and force them to think harder to choose the moves wiser. Even in the canon, we can say that not all benders had the same binds of each other. If it was the case, every bender would have been seen having the mastery over torrent, airburst, earthsmash, firejet ect and seeing them performing once of that technique of their respective element.

Last edited:

Hero

Verified Member
Both of them do deal knockback, as far as I remember.

Ok. I re-read everything again and now I understood that you need to be holding shift after the whole fall.

Having the 18 abilities isn't that bad. Having not equal a number of them between all elements is. All benders are diversity, so seeing them all capable of doing same abilities would scratch the idea of making them diversive. Why is so that all the players must have all abilities binded of the same element? It gives them a strategic way to use what they have in their arsenal and force them to think harder to choose the moves wiser. Even in the canon, we can say that not all benders had the same binds of each other. If it was the case, every bender would have been seen having the mastery over torrent, airburst, earthsmash, firejet ect and seeing them performing once of that technique of their respective element.
This has literally nothing to do with the suggestion at all..

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
[addon="Simplicitee, post: 57209, member: 1217"]It should be a fall affect for Torrent, similar to how Shockwave is :)[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it's definatly to big for it to be an addon.

Taiko the Waterbender

Verified Member
  • Can't do it while shifting.
How about... It is only triggered if you do hold shift? :3 When Katara did her her waterbending cannon ball she wasn't really standing up xD
I really like this concept, and, as a waterbender, I do feel that waterbending isn't as connected with water as it was on the show. Katara split up an iceberg when she got angry, so did she break the ice pots in the NWT. Giving this passive to Torrent will really help with the sensation of power a waterbender should have when in water, which we currently don't have, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.