• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Virtual Reality

Joeri

Verified Member
Ha! Knew you would say that and I knew I would get you here.

Back when we first had this crazy idea of a touch screen, or even a touch screen phone, it was just as alien to us then as virtual reality is to us now.
Do you even know how long it takes to make a game like that? Having everything on 1:1 scaling and everything perfectly detailed, only creating a single town would already take months, and as i said before the difference between a phone and smartphones isn't as big as creating a device that allows you to do what we expect

Do you even realise that those devices will probably be way over 5000 dollars? Game computers of 900 dollars can lag on things like MC, now lets think about how much terrabites an entire 3D dimensional world as realistic as the real one, with sensations and controlls, etc would take? Probs enough to blow up my PC

6tijn

Verified Member
Do you even know how long it takes to make a game like that? Having everything on 1:1 scaling and everything perfectly detailed, only creating a single town would already take months, and as i said before the difference between a phone and smartphones isn't as big as creating a device that allows you to do what we expect

Do you even realise that those devices will probably be way over 5000 dollars? Game computers of 900 dollars can lag on things like MC, now lets think about how much terrabites an entire 3D dimensional world as realistic as the real one, with sensations and controlls, etc would take? Probs enough to blow up my PC
By the time these things exist, the new technology will be able to handle that. Do you think computers of 20 years could handle Psp games we have now?

owlcool

Verified Member

It won't nessassarily need to be 1:1.
It is virtual reality after all. Another way is to make everything on one scale, and then make the player model to that scale.

Last edited:

owlcool

Verified Member
Either a different feel when moving around in game, such as a motion sickness mode, or (this might sound silly, but mind you it is a real thing and it is known to cure motion sickness in vr) virtual noses.
Hmm, how would that work, though? lol.
#NosephonesForTheWin

djmyernos

Verified Member
Now, I know nothing about how virtual reality would work or how it would connect to the brain or anything, but if it were to be a fully immersive world just like the real world, I think it'd have to be all inside your head. I was thinking maybe like an induced dream. Like the helmet (or whatever) affects your brain waves and sends you into this induced lucid dream. Let's say its an online game like a Minecraft server. You would dream the things that it projects, and then when you interact with other people, objects, etc., it deciphers those brain waves and sends them to the server, and then sends them to the other people, so they see that you are interacting. It'd be very complicated and would require a ton of research and development, but that's really the only way I can think of making be like the actual world. Turning television waves into brain waves, and visa versa.

owlcool

Verified Member
Now, I know nothing about how virtual reality would work or how it would connect to the brain or anything, but if it were to be a fully immersive world just like the real world, I think it'd have to be all inside your head. I was thinking maybe like an induced dream. Like the helmet (or whatever) affects your brain waves and sends you into this induced lucid dream. Let's say its an online game like a Minecraft server. You would dream the things that it projects, and then when you interact with other people, objects, etc., it deciphers those brain waves and sends them to the server, and then sends them to the other people, so they see that you are interacting. It'd be very complicated and would require a ton of research and development, but that's really the only way I can think of making be like the actual world. Turning television waves into brain waves, and visa versa.
We probably won't have that too soon, but we can expect Being able to use brainwaves for a controller. After all, they have already made that same sort of technology into a keyboard. Can't be too hard to apply just like 12 buttons for a game like minecraft.
And then there is the oculus rift hand controller, which we could use to move the mouse and sword (and shield in 1.9).
I see virtual reality being a good future, even if we can't broadcast it as a dream. After all, it is still "happening" in front of you.

djmyernos

Verified Member
We probably won't have that too soon, but we can expect Being able to use brainwaves for a controller. After all, they have already made that same sort of technology into a keyboard. Can't be too hard to apply just like 12 buttons for a game like minecraft.
And then there is the oculus rift hand controller, which we could use to move the mouse and sword (and shield in 1.9).
I see virtual reality being a good future, even if we can't broadcast it as a dream. After all, it is still "happening" in front of you.
That kind of virtual reality would be cool. Like the Oculus Rift stuff where you still have a connection to your read body.

owlcool

Verified Member
That kind of virtual reality would be cool. Like the Oculus Rift stuff where you still have a connection to your read body.
Yeah, it would be.
And it is already pretty cool, even if you can't control it with brainwaves, something that we can expect in the possibly not too far future. How long would it take to make a game like Sword Art Online, on the oculus rift? I am betting that it will be here by 10 years, as people have been working on that.

Would you play Sword Art Online on the Oculus? I know I would.
Just so you know a bit about what is actually going on, here is a link.
http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/development/jon-martindale/you-can-visit-sword-art-online-in-your-rift/
There are some really cool videos that show the oculus rift being used to play Sword Art Online, at least the versions that already exist.

owlcool

Verified Member
OH 1 THOUGHT YOU M34NT 4CTU4L S4O.
Come on, think about it. A Version of Sword Art Online where you can actually log out, are unable to taste the foods(Maybe this could be slightly false, but I doubt the very idea of it without manipulating brain waves), are unable to feel sensations(okay, maybe this will be false. Perhaps in the coming years Oculus rift hand controllers will alter a certain part of them, making it so you feel what you are touching with your hands) and you can't die within the game. Maybe we will get ALO and GGO too. I would love to play GGO and SAO.
Magic isn't really my thing, can you tell? xD

Gamzee

God Tier Member
Verified Member
Come on, think about it. A Version of Sword Art Online where you can actually log out, are unable to taste the foods(Maybe this could be slightly false, but I doubt the very idea of it without manipulating brain waves), are unable to feel sensations(okay, maybe this will be false. Perhaps in the coming years Oculus rift hand controllers will alter a certain part of them, making it so you feel what you are touching with your hands) and you can't die within the game. Maybe we will get ALO and GGO too. I would love to play GGO and SAO.
Magic isn't really my thing, can you tell? xD
GGO WOULD B3 4M4Z1NG. 4CTU4L FULL 1M3RS1ON WOULD B3 V3RY F4R 4W4Y, 4S TH3 3TH1CS OF M3SS1NG W1TH SOM3ON3'S BR41N 4R3 QU3ST1ON4BL3, BUT 1 WOULDNT C4R3. XD

owlcool

Verified Member
GGO WOULD B3 4M4Z1NG. 4CTU4L FULL 1M3RS1ON WOULD B3 V3RY F4R 4W4Y, 4S TH3 3TH1CS OF M3SS1NG W1TH SOM3ON3'S BR41N 4R3 QU3ST1ON4BL3, BUT 1 WOULDNT C4R3. XD
The ethics of controlling another person's brain to control the person are out of order, but the ethics of controlling a person's brainwave for entertainment or enjoyment are pretty much in order. I will list some addictive things people enjoy.
1. Tobacco. This industry isn't going away, so if Virtual reality is determined unethical this would have to go first.
2. Simple Video games like Candy Crush. Small victories in these games release a bit of a dopamine surge in your brain. Your brain can easily get addicted to this.
3. Marijuana. It is slightly addictive, as it is a drug, and who doesn't like getting high? xD
4. Do I really want to say this? I will just put it in a spoiler.
Yes, fapping/sex is addictive.
5. Food. Ex. Sugar.

Once all of those things are determined unethical, We can determine virtual reality is unethical.

Gamzee

God Tier Member
Verified Member
The ethics of controlling another person's brain to control the person are out of order, but the ethics of controlling a person's brainwave for entertainment or enjoyment are pretty much in order. I will list some addictive things people enjoy.
1. Tobacco. This industry isn't going away, so if Virtual reality is determined unethical this would have to go first.
2. Simple Video games like Candy Crush. Small victories in these games release a bit of a dopamine surge in your brain. Your brain can easily get addicted to this.
3. Marijuana. It is slightly addictive, as it is a drug, and who doesn't like getting high? xD
4. Do I really want to say this? I will just put it in a spoiler.
Yes, fapping/sex is addictive.
5. Food. Ex. Sugar.

Once all of those things are determined unethical, We can determine virtual reality is unethical.
1 G3T WH4T YOU'R3 S4Y1NG, BUT P3OPL3 W1LL ST1LL TRY TO R3S1ST D1FF3R3NT 4ND N3E TH1NGS. BUT YOU C4NT STOP WH4T CONSUM3RS W4NT 4ND 1T W1LL H4PP3N 3V3NTU4LLY.

owlcool

Verified Member
1 G3T WH4T YOU'R3 S4Y1NG, BUT P3OPL3 W1LL ST1LL TRY TO R3S1ST D1FF3R3NT 4ND N3E TH1NGS. BUT YOU C4NT STOP WH4T CONSUM3RS W4NT 4ND 1T W1LL H4PP3N 3V3NTU4LLY.
People who prefer platformer games must be cast out of society!!!

owlcool

Verified Member
What? Lol? xD
Sword Art Online and Gun Gale Online aren't too vastly far away. And the hardware will improve with the software developing, making it so that eventually we may actually have the full experience.
They are being developed, you just have to look for the signs.
GGO:
SAO:

Last edited: