• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Virtual Reality

owlcool

Verified Member
This is a thread where people can just talk about virtual reality, and the future of such. Just going to leave some links to get some conversation topics.
https://www.oculus.com/en-us/
https://www.google.com/get/cardboard/
http://www.wired.com/2015/06/facebook-sees-future-oculus-touch/
http://www.thenanoage.com/virtual-reality.htm
http://www.vrs.org.uk/virtual-reality-games/future-expectations.html

I will list out some careers that can support Virtual Reality's development.
Software Developer, Programmer, Designer: These careers will help ease over old video games into virtual reality. Everything that has been coded will be re-coded to fit virtual reality. And that is fact. And even more potential for games will open up because of virtual reality.
Photographer, Artist: These Careers will help create new virtual reality programs. In reality virtual reality will open up careers for these people. Photographers will take photos to capture areas, such as beaches or museums. Artists will have more opportunity's within Virtual reality along with other video games.
Hardware Developer, Designer, Biomechatronics: There will need to have a lot of development to advance virtual reality to it's full potential, and this will lead to virtual reality being more desired, leading to more progress. Somebody with mastery of Biomechatronics will potentially find themselves with the tools they need to replicate limbs in the mind.
Physicist: This career is more of a wildcard then anything else. You might find a secret property of microwaves that turn off movement, or you might find nothing. More of a wildcard then most anything.
Neurologist: This career will have tons of demand in the short run, and slightly less but still more demand in the long run. In the short run they will need to decipher brainwaves. In the long run, they will need to make sure virtual reality is safe, more on this later.

So if you pick any of those careers and support virtual reality, you can land yourself in a gold mine.

Now, lets see the dangers of virtual reality.
People ARE perceiving virtual reality as actual reality. This can be dangerous. You may be able to get a game that allows you to drive a car at 100 miles an hour, but could you really handle that motion sickness?
Anyways, this will be a responsibility of the Programmers, Software Developers and Neurologists to make sure doesn't happen. This will make these jobs very high responsibility, and somewhat high risk. I am just leaving this warning here.

Another danger of virtual reality is PTSD. We can't exactly have people addicted to COD or WoW, and playing it in virtual reality without running a very big risk of that. Especially indie horror games, imagine playing five nights at freddys all the way through in real life. That will be what it is like in Virtual Reality. Is the risk of somebody getting PTSD from virtual reality very Big? Yes, it is, mathematically.

A Final danger of virtual reality would be ethics. Lets say we advance to an extremely high technological age, and people can feel over virtual reality. A Simple Exploit or Group of Exploits and Hacks, or Troll could torture or brainwash somebody over Virtual Reality. There are no laws against such. This is why we need a good amount of Lawyers.

With all this potential, however, the people going into Virtual Reality could find themselves in a gold mine, or an avalanche. Choose carefully and Act Carefully.

And obviously we can talk about all the videogames Virtual Reality could create or improve.
@9190281 @Finn_Bueno_ @Gamzee @HydroMan

Last edited:

Joeri

Verified Member
i think it's decently far away, like atleast 25 years before we can really feel in a virtual world, because it would have to involve controlling the mind for senses, aka the feels of eating etc

owlcool

Verified Member
i think it's decently far away, like atleast 25 years before we can really feel in a virtual world, because it would have to involve controlling the mind for senses, aka the feels of eating etc
Well, consider that there will be other ways then just touch. Hearing, Sight, etc.
I can forsee a future where things like the CIA torture you physically and worsen it by using virtual reality for the sight and hearing.

At this point, somebody using a string of exploits could at least give you PTSD.

djmyernos

Verified Member
I think virtual reality would be awesome, but VERY dangerous. You brought up PTSD, and I agree. I think somebody playing CoD or some other very violent game could be extremely detrimental to their mental health. Of course, it all depends how immersive it becomes. If it's just putting on a helmet and seeing stuff, but it still feels like you're in your living room, then it might not be so bad. However, if it gets to the point where it is a fully immersive world where you no longer feel like you're in your living room, and you feel physical pain, and smell the smells, or feel all the aspects of the video game, then I think it'd be dangerous. Even light-hearted games such as Minecraft or Mario could be dangerous, as people go on and play them for hours and hours and hours on end. If they find that the virtual reality world is better than the real world, then chances are they are going to stay in that world for as long as possible. Which means that while your character is eating in the game, you could be starving in the real world because you've been playing for so long. Your character might feel full, but you'd be wasting away in real life. I think you'd have to have some connection to your real body, or else it'd be very dangerous. Maybe you wouldn't be able to feel when you need to use the bathroom, or need to eat, or any number of things. I think being completely immersed would be very unsafe. Going through the conditions in CoD or any violent game would really hurt you in the long run. I mean, you hear of kids who play video games at a very young age and end up not being able to distinguish between virtuality and reality. That could easily happen with virtual reality. Someone plays GTA V and just kills anyone who gets on their nerves, and then they go and do the same thing in the real world. Again, if it's just a helmet and a plastic gun that you hold while you run in place in your living room and turn your head from side to side it might not be so bad. But even that has it's dangers. I'm interested to see what else is brought up in this discussion.

owlcool

Verified Member
I think virtual reality would be awesome, but VERY dangerous. You brought up PTSD, and I agree. I think somebody playing CoD or some other very violent game could be extremely detrimental to their mental health. Of course, it all depends how immersive it becomes. If it's just putting on a helmet and seeing stuff, but it still feels like you're in your living room, then it might not be so bad. However, if it gets to the point where it is a fully immersive world where you no longer feel like you're in your living room, and you feel physical pain, and smell the smells, or feel all the aspects of the video game, then I think it'd be dangerous. Even light-hearted games such as Minecraft or Mario could be dangerous, as people go on and play them for hours and hours and hours on end. If they find that the virtual reality world is better than the real world, then chances are they are going to stay in that world for as long as possible. Which means that while your character is eating in the game, you could be starving in the real world because you've been playing for so long. Your character might feel full, but you'd be wasting away in real life. I think you'd have to have some connection to your real body, or else it'd be very dangerous. Maybe you wouldn't be able to feel when you need to use the bathroom, or need to eat, or any number of things. I think being completely immersed would be very unsafe. Going through the conditions in CoD or any violent game would really hurt you in the long run. I mean, you hear of kids who play video games at a very young age and end up not being able to distinguish between virtuality and reality. That could easily happen with virtual reality. Someone plays GTA V and just kills anyone who gets on their nerves, and then they go and do the same thing in the real world. Again, if it's just a helmet and a plastic gun that you hold while you run in place in your living room and turn your head from side to side it might not be so bad. But even that has it's dangers. I'm interested to see what else is brought up in this discussion.
Do you think you will go into the field of Virtual Reality? If so, in what form? Neurologist, Programmer, Physicist or Hardware developer?

I personally do believe I will be going into virtual reality, as a Programmer.

owlcool

Verified Member
I hate to be reminiscing of an old grandma, but people playing virtual reality at an early age could not be able to tell the difference between reality and virtual reality, thus leading to more crime.

Virtual reality likely wouldn't allow for the sensation of pain, of course.

6tijn

Verified Member
What's scary about it, to me, that it is possible to lock people up in these virtual worlds for ever. WIthout them realizing they are not in a real world. Thinking they're living a special exicting life (or not). (The Matrix much?)

Imagen a bending videogame with those things :O That'd be so cool!

djmyernos

Verified Member
Do you think you will go into the field of Virtual Reality? If so, in what form? Neurologist, Programmer, Physicist or Hardware developer?

I personally do believe I will be going into virtual reality, as a Programmer.
Honestly, the field doesn't interest me very much. So probably not. Again, there are too many dangers.

owlcool

Verified Member
1S TH1S ABOUT VR GOOGL3S OR L1K3 N3RV3G34R FROM SAO.
Anything encompassed by Virtual reality. It would be preferable if you typed by normal English standards on a thread like this.

We can talk about Google cardboard decreasing the costs in virtual reality.
And we can talk about the potential for nervegear-like virtual reality in the near or far future.

owlcool

Verified Member
What's scary about it, to me, that it is possible to lock people up in these virtual worlds for ever. WIthout them realizing they are not in a real world. Thinking they're living a special exicting life (or not). (The Matrix much?)

Imagen a bending videogame with those things :O That'd be so cool!
Yes, but extremely unlikely unless the user has a bad grasp in reality at these times. In the future? Maybe not.

And yes, a bending video game would be awesome in VR. Maybe we can develop a game like the recent LoK game into a first person bending game.

Last edited:

Gamzee

God Tier Member
Verified Member
Anything encompassed by Virtual reality. It would be preferable if you typed by normal English standards on a thread like this.

We can talk about Google cardboard decreasing the costs in virtual reality.
And we can talk about the potential for nervegear-like virtual reality in the near or far future.
3NGL1SH ST4ND4RDS 4R3 FOR NORM13S.

1 KNOW 1 C4NT W41T FOR V4LV3'S VR GOOGL3S. TH3Y LOOK S1CK.

owlcool

Verified Member
3NGL1SH ST4ND4RDS 4R3 FOR NORM13S.

1 KNOW 1 C4NT W41T FOR V4LV3'S VR GOOGL3S. TH3Y LOOK S1CK.
Normals? So the people that learn programming languages and talk about the dangers of Virtual reality but still want to develop it are normal people? Boy, you got something wrong with you if you think the majority of the people in this thread are "normal."

owlcool

Verified Member
Honestly, the field doesn't interest me very much. So probably not. Again, there are too many dangers.
Lol. Gotta be funny when your preferred topic of conversation is about the dangers of virtual reality and still wanting to develop virtual reality.

Gamzee

God Tier Member
Verified Member
Normals? So the people that learn programming languages and talk about the dangers of Virtual reality but still want to develop it are normal people? Boy, you got something wrong with you if you think the majority of the people in this thread are "normal."

DUD3 C4LM YOURS3LF. 1D3NT1FY JOK3S, GOG.

TH3R3 W1LL B3 D4NG3RS W1TH VR JUST L1K3 4NY OTH3R TH1NG, BUT 1F CONSUM3RS W4NT 1T, TH3N 1T W1LL B3 M4D3.

owlcool

Verified Member

DUD3 C4LM YOURS3LF. 1D3NT1FY JOK3S, GOG.

TH3R3 W1LL B3 D4NG3RS W1TH VR JUST L1K3 4NY OTH3R TH1NG, BUT 1F CONSUM3RS W4NT 1T, TH3N 1T W1LL B3 M4D3.
Marijuana except during the recent years is a prime example of that being wrong.

Gamzee

God Tier Member
Verified Member
Marijuana except during the recent years is a prime example of that being wrong.
3XC3PT TH4T 1S 4 PR1M3 3X4MPL3 OF M3 B31NG R1GHT. CONSUM3RS W4NT 1T SO NOW 1T 1S B31NG L3G4L1Z3D. 1 D1DN'T S4Y WH3N 1T WOULD H4PP3N, 1T JUST W1LL 3V3NTU4LLY.