• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Minecraft's EULA

Would selling extra elements go against Minecraft's EULA?

• Yes

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Unsure

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters
U

UnlitedOwns

Hi.

I thought I'd share my two cents with everyone in here as I have recently started making my server EULA compliable. I'll share some of my knowledge on a few points mentioned in here, as well as giving an answer to the main question asked.

I shall start with that. "Would selling extra elements go against Minecraft's EULA?". The simple answer is, yes. It would be against the EULA. I have seen that some argue that this is not a part of the core gameplay of Minecraft, but a part of a plugin. However, the EULA states that any game modifications which allow players to have an unfair advantage over other players are disallowed if not available to all players. You are NOT allowed to sell extra elements, as players with multiple elements would be having an advantage over somebody who does not.

You may argue that skill has something to do with it, unfortunately it does not. You get access to more moves at the same time, whilst another player is limited to a set amount of moves within their element.

Furthermore I noticed a point stating that you could just give the same reward for X voting points, or after X time and still sell it in the shop. Unfortunately this is not allowed as you are still allowing players that are willing to pay to achieve an advantage over other players. In other words, surely you can help non-paying players to achieve the same with voting points or time, but this doesn't mean you are allowed to continue selling the packages for real money.

Trials and tokens are no exception to this as they are temporary, whilst a paying customer would get much more out of it - just because they paid.

The different elements on their own are not pay to win at all. Ideally they're balanced out and the player makes a (well-informed) choice before choosing an element to stick with. On my server I allow new players to change their element as much as they wish in the first 5 hours. After that the players may change element by using voting points or real money. A VIP player on my server is allowed to switch elements as much as they wish to, very much like New players are able to in the first 5 hours of game play.

My last note is that Spigot & plugins are seen as modifications to the game. They modify the main Minecraft gameplay on the server side, giving a new experience to players. I noticed a comment above stating that "The actual mod is spigot, so this doesn't come under it. If it did, Spigot couldn't let developers sell plugins.". As to paying for plugins on Spigot, this is allowed as you are paying the developer for their code/work. Not to gain an OP sword to slash other player's head in.

At last I'd like to say that you may disagree with me, which is fine. In either case I hope that my information helps you to either better understand the EULA or gave you some ideas which you could use for your own server.

Kind regards,

Tristan

Steampunk

It depends. Because, if you had it possible to gain it in game, such as finding a rare item or something, it should be fine.

Jackson

Staff member
Digital Team
Verified Member
It depends. Because, if you had it possible to gain it in game, such as finding a rare item or something, it should be fine.
Yes... But you are giving the person buying that item an advantage. Let's day Player1 desires that dragon egg, but so does Player2. Player2 decides to pay for one in the shop of SomeRandomServer (Name of the server) and they now get a chance to get two while the other player gets one.

BryanPlays

Verified Member
This does violate Minecraft's EULA.

SERVERS AND HOSTING
With hosting servers we want to enable the community to make money by creating, hosting and maintaining servers for Minecraft, so you may do this subject to these Guidelines. You may have seen the Blog post on server monetization https://mojang.com/2014/06/lets-talk-server-monetisation/ and the follow up Q&A https://mojang.com/2014/06/lets-talk-server-monetisation-the-follow-up-qa. This section of these Guidelines clarifies them. By "server," we mean a single connecting address or IP number.

Therefore, if you comply with and follow the Brand and Asset Usage Guidelines and Naming Guidelines above YOU MAY:

• charge for access to your server, including a server which hosts your Mods, BUT only if:
    • you make a single charge per person that is the same for everyone;
    • you give everyone you charge, access to all the Mods that you choose to have on your server (except only in respect of genuine admin tools / admin Mods which should be reserved to administrators);
    • you only give access to your server to users who have a genuine paid for version of Minecraft;
    • you own or control the server and continue to do so for the whole time that you charge for access to it - so, if you sell the actual servers or server space with Mods pre-installed on them, you must ensure that the person buying the server is aware that she must follow these rules. Essentially you can't get round the rules above by setting up servers with Mods on and then selling those set-ups; and
    • overall your access charges should be targeted to cover your operational costs of running the server.
  • ask for donations (as opposed to direct charges) IF you do not offer the individual donor something in exchange that only he or she can use. You may offer server wide rewards if donation goals are achieved though.
  • sell cosmetic items, except for "Capes", IF the item sold does not give a user an unfair gameplay advantage over anyone else on the server - i.e there can be no "pay to win".

LOOK AT THE BOLD UNDERLINED WORDS IN ITALICS!!!

Selling elements does in fact give players an unfair gameplay advatage over others, that is PAY TO WIN.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Hi.

I thought I'd share my two cents with everyone in here as I have recently started making my server EULA compliable. I'll share some of my knowledge on a few points mentioned in here, as well as giving an answer to the main question asked.

I shall start with that. "Would selling extra elements go against Minecraft's EULA?". The simple answer is, yes. It would be against the EULA. I have seen that some argue that this is not a part of the core gameplay of Minecraft, but a part of a plugin. However, the EULA states that any game modifications which allow players to have an unfair advantage over other players are disallowed if not available to all players. You are NOT allowed to sell extra elements, as players with multiple elements would be having an advantage over somebody who does not.

You may argue that skill has something to do with it, unfortunately it does not. You get access to more moves at the same time, whilst another player is limited to a set amount of moves within their element.

Furthermore I noticed a point stating that you could just give the same reward for X voting points, or after X time and still sell it in the shop. Unfortunately this is not allowed as you are still allowing players that are willing to pay to achieve an advantage over other players. In other words, surely you can help non-paying players to achieve the same with voting points or time, but this doesn't mean you are allowed to continue selling the packages for real money.

Trials and tokens are no exception to this as they are temporary, whilst a paying customer would get much more out of it - just because they paid.

The different elements on their own are not pay to win at all. Ideally they're balanced out and the player makes a (well-informed) choice before choosing an element to stick with. On my server I allow new players to change their element as much as they wish in the first 5 hours. After that the players may change element by using voting points or real money. A VIP player on my server is allowed to switch elements as much as they wish to, very much like New players are able to in the first 5 hours of game play.

My last note is that Spigot & plugins are seen as modifications to the game. They modify the main Minecraft gameplay on the server side, giving a new experience to players. I noticed a comment above stating that "The actual mod is spigot, so this doesn't come under it. If it did, Spigot couldn't let developers sell plugins.". As to paying for plugins on Spigot, this is allowed as you are paying the developer for their code/work. Not to gain an OP sword to slash other player's head in.

At last I'd like to say that you may disagree with me, which is fine. In either case I hope that my information helps you to either better understand the EULA or gave you some ideas which you could use for your own server.

Kind regards,

Tristan
To summarised this, from what I Understand:
  • Selling extra/additional element is not allowed, including when it is provides to the customer temporarily.
  • Using in-game currency to buy them, i.e. extra elements, and owners transferring that virtual earning for real money is not allowed.
  • Selling elements that can also be obtain for free by the costumers, depending by the situation, is allowed.
That's pretty much it?

runefist

Verified Member
Just sell tremorsense :) It is a really cosmetic thing :p To everyone who is still selling extra elements, I doubt Mojang will ever understand if elements is cosmetic or pure gameplay stuff, they check e-shops on minecraft items and a few other things like commands.

StrangeOne101

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
To summarised this, from what I Understand:
  • Selling extra/additional element is not allowed, including when it is provides to the customer temporarily.
  • Using in-game currency to buy them, i.e. extra elements, and owners transferring that virtual earning for real money is not allowed.
  • Selling elements that can also be obtain for free by the costumers, depending by the situation, is allowed.
That's pretty much it?
No, you are allowed to sell bonuses in-game with in-game currency IF the in-game currency is STRICTLY in-game currency. This means you can't sell the currency in game for real money. If you abide by that, it's fine.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
My english isn't great, so my apologies, not yours. I can say a lot of stuff that to everyone who reads might leave em confused and mislead, but it is so due to my fault of not knowing how to properly word sentences, .

StrangeOne101

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
My english isn't great, so my apologies, not yours. I can say a lot of stuff that to everyone who reads might leave em confused and mislead, but it is so due to my fault of not knowing how to properly word sentences, .
I understand, don't worry. English is a very complex language, so it's not your fault that it's so hard to learn :p