• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Suggestion EarthSmash - Many Changes Needed

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
1. EarthSmash doesn't obey gravity.

Leaving the flawed logic of waterbenders creating frozen scultures floating for another thread, earthsmash shouldn't be floating either when not attend by the user's concentration.

And Yes I know - "minecraft doesn't have gravity with the exception for a few blocks!" Althought while that does have a connection with why earthsmash should fly, but there's a small difference - that game logic happens in Vanilla gameplay. Like you know: building something vs bending something is or should be different in my opinion.

Potential Solution:
1) Have the ability require the need to hold sneak, even If you're not looking at the earthsmash, while the construct is in LIFTED MODE. (To move it around (and maybe to shoot), you'll have to look at it.)
2)Should emerge by charging, right clicking and then letting go of sneak. And after that sequence is done, it should move to and hover above users head. This would also not obscure the aiming view for the user to lock their target.

2. EarthSmash can simulate Flight for the user.
Similar to #1 problem, it just contradicts how the physics works (or at least the laws of bending). Like how self-exertion is impossible (aka. Pulling your own hair to ascend yourself in mid air), earthsmash shouldn't work like an helicopter for the user with or without another passenger. In other words, the analogy is: earthsmash helicopter shouldn't work (because similar to the logic by pulling a board which you're standing on to attempt achieve the effects of flight), while firejet should (because its similar to using a jet pack).
Wasn't canon, isn't earthbend-ish! For short, it shouldn't be here

Not to mention that Earthbending is emphasizes to be not mobile element as Air, which the plugin failed at suceeding to represent it that way since the day EarthSmash became a stock ability.

Potential Solution:
1. Simply remove the geokinetic-flight thing and insert in this or in a new ability this technique. (<< click the link that is attached to those two final words).

ETA: Or at the very least, allow EarthSmash to go in a straight line or force it to do sharp turns!

3. EarthSmash doesn't break glasses&ice when shot at.

Potential Solution:
Earthsmash should break glasses and ice, along with succesfuling piercing to a waterbenders IceShield defense, but get stopped by a Water Shield.

Last edited:

xNuminousx

Verified Member
1. EarthSmash doesn't obey gravity.
Or, instead of raising ABOVE ground level it just rises equal to ground level; like a Raise Earth.

2. EarthSmash can simulate Flight for the user.
I see no reason why an Earthbender cannot go onto a piece of earth, then manipulate it to move around, ultimately creating a "flight" -like effect. I don't think that they should be able to do loopty-loops or anything. How ever I think they should be able to get on top of an earth smash then hold shift to go straight up or in -like directions. However, if they release shift at all, they fall. If they try going DOWN at all, it will crumble and the user will fall.

I will also like to take the time to mention: Earth Smash just disappears..... When ever it "disappears" instead of disappearing, have Falling Entities take it's place and then fall to the ground with the same velocity and then obey gravity. For example, if Earth Smash were being shot at speeds of 20MPH, when it "disappears" Falling Entities would take it's place, continue moving at 20MPH according to physics, but then fall at 9.8 meters per second, according to the Gravity Constant. This would make it much more realistic.

3. EarthSmash doesn't break glasses&ice when shot at.
EarthSmash should crumble a Raise Earth wall (Because they're pretty thin), break Leaves, make "splashes" when shot into the water, and crumble instead of "disappearing" as well.
piercing to a waterbenders IceShield defense
I agree with this, the Surge IceWall should be broken when it gets hit with an EarthSmash, similarly to JedCore's IceWall break if any of you have experience with that.
but get stopped by a Water Shield.
I don't think it should get "Stopped." There is far too less water in that tiny Surge Shield to stop a speeding boulder. I think it should just do less knockback/damage when it goes through water. If you can, slow it down as well; but don't stop it. I'm not sure if with the way the animation works if you can nicely slow it but it's what I suggest if you can.

Not to mention that Earthbending is emphasizes to be not mobile element as Air
I'd like to disagree with this. What makes Earth opposite to Air is it's stubbornness. Air is free flowing and represents peace where Earth is stubborn and diverse. According to the Avatar Wiki: "Earthbending is one of the most diverse of the bending arts. . ." So I see no reason why Earth can't have mobility. I don't think they should be able to move fluidly like an Airbender or Waterbender might, but their mobility should be straight and rigid. For example, catapult should go in a straight direction and follow physics, they should not be able to move all catawonkus in the air, which is true for the current state of catapult. Earth Smash allows them to move more like a Water/Airbender which I disagree with, but I've already gone over that. JedCores Earth Surf is way to fluid to be an Earth move. I would suggest to him to make it a more rigid mobility move for Earth if he took suggestions.

Leaving the flawed logic of waterbenders creating frozen scultures floating for another thread
I look forward to this.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Or, instead of raising ABOVE ground level it just rises equal to ground level; like a Raise Earth.
It would still be floating above the crate.
I see no reason why an Earthbender cannot go onto a piece of earth, then manipulate it to move around, ultimately creating a "flight" -like effect.
Have you ever seen one do that though with no contact with a surface of any? Besides, aren't earthbenders suppose to be rooted to the ground? Especally while they're flying with the bend rock below more than 2 and less seconds. It just doesn't make sense. That also goes for surge+waterspout hover board, but I'm not gonna go there before the whole necessary revamp things happen.
So I see no reason why Earth can't have mobility. I don't think they should be able to move fluidly like an Airbender or Waterbender might, but their mobility should be straight and rigid.
That's the point. Earthsmash is more fluid/flexible than "straight and rigid". And that's in a literal sense: earthbenders usually only go straight and didn't take any turns, as if like a bumper car. That's another issue with EarthSmash.

Yeah, I overaggretated with "no mobile", so sorry for that part... It would have been more correct for me that "earthbending should be less but not too much mobile with a comparison to air/water". Actually, I did say that earthbending should be as mobile as airbending.... or maybe adding another "as" would be correct, since I for one don't know how to english properly at some times :p

xNuminousx

Verified Member
It would still be floating above the crate.
Realistic "earth" isn't as smooth as it is in minecraft. A raise earth is able to "float" because of the tension between it, and the sides around it. Same could be applied to EarthSmash. I'm not saying it should sit 1 block above the ground or look like it's on the ground, I'm saying it should be like Half way out of the ground. You can tell it's an Earth Smash but it's not floating or anything.

Technically it would be floating, but for the reasons I said, it would be realistic.

Have you ever seen one do that though with no contact with a surface of any?
Just because it's not canon does not mean it's not possible.
Besides, aren't earthbenders suppose to be rooted to the ground?
By this logic, as soon as an Earthbenders feet leave the ground they cannot bend. An Earthbender can bend as long as they have earth, correct? So if they carry the earth WITH them into the air, why can we not assume they could not continue pushing the earth up with them on top of it? And because they are ON the earth they are bending, they are never out of range of it so they can just do it continuously.

That's the point. Earthsmash is more fluid/flexible than "straight and rigid". And that's in a literal sense: earthbenders usually only go straight and didn't take any turns, as if like a bumper car. That's another issue with EarthSmash.
I provided an argument in my post for this.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Realistic "earth" isn't as smooth as it is in minecraft. A raise earth is able to "float" because of the tension between it, and the sides around it. Same could be applied to EarthSmash. I'm not saying it should sit 1 block above the ground or look like it's on the ground, I'm saying it should be like Half way out of the ground. You can tell it's an Earth Shard but it's not floating or anything.
Corners look too small for me. Like RaiseEarth, it ain't a big deal but it is a small teeny tiny pet peeve that triggers me #meis2picky :p :D
Just because it's not canon does not mean it's not possible.
Perhaps earthbenders can create burning boulders without any flammable fuel, since "just because it's not canon does not mean it's not possible".

Taiko the Waterbender

Verified Member
I see no reason why an Earthbender cannot go onto a piece of earth, then manipulate it to move around, ultimately creating a "flight" -like effect.
Third Law of Newton: to a force applied, there is an opposing force, with the same intensity, acting on the body. Or, as @MeskenasBoii said so awesomely I am still laughing like some dork,
Like how self-exertion is impossible (aka. Pulling your own hair to ascend yourself in mid air)
On the rest, I do agree with this thread, but @xNuminousx made reference to some important topics.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
Perhaps earthbenders can create burning boulders without any flammable fuel, since "just because it's not canon does not mean it's not possible".
Well that's unrealistic. When it's not canon, you turn to things like physics, chemistry, and real world situations. Also the occasional substituted example because bending it's actually real; physics still apply to bending.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
Third Law of Newton: to a force applied, there is an opposing force, with the same intensity, acting on the body.
Then be a smart Earthbender and don't try to ride a boulder or mountain? I'm sure a true "diverse" Earthbender can move something smaller. Which would lead to the suggestion but that's for a new thread I suppose. Basically, they could use a smaller version of Earth Smash and ride that. You are right though, it would simply be too much for the bender to do. However, that's why we have durations. They ride the "boulder" until it becomes too much for the bender to handle. Durations, cooldown and charge times represent the benders ability to achieve.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
Third Law of Newton: to a force applied, there is an opposing force, with the same intensity, acting on the body.
And I'm sure the geokentic thing they have going on cancels some of the force that is applied to the bender. For example, do you REALLY think 3 people can ACTUALLY push a building over? In the Legend of Korra we see Bolin, Su, and Lin slicing a building and then pushing it over... If I went of to an apartment complex that happened to be cut in half, gathered 2 friends, do you really think we'd be able to push it over onto a giant robot? I don't. This leads me to believe that bending slightly contradicts some laws. You see them suffering, yes, which is where the word "slightly" comes in. Bending probably lessens the force put on the user.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Well that's unrealistic. When it's not canon, you turn to things like physics, chemistry, and real world situations. Also the occasional substituted example because bending it's actually real; physics still apply to bending.
It's not just physics, chemistry and real life world situation. It is more how "bending functions" that I'm stressing about. PK can release steambending If the "forget that it ain't canon" was a determining factor for what should or should not be in the plugin. It just cramps the style of the bending art.
I provided an argument in my post for this.
May you quote it? I can't seem to find it. You're argument from your quoted before reply was agreeing that earth shouldn't be mobile thus earth bender shouldn't ride an elemental helicopter.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
It's not just physics, chemistry and real life world situation. It is more how "bending functions" that I'm stressing about. PK can release steambending If the "forget that it ain't canon" was a determining factor for what should or should not be in the plugin. It just cramps the style of the bending art.

May you quote it? I can't seem to find it. You're argument from your quoted before reply was agreeing that earth shouldn't be mobile thus earth bender shouldn't ride an elemental helicopter.
My wasn't that shouldn't be mobile, it was that it should mobile in its own way.

I'm on my phone which disallows me to quote more than once so I'll provide the quote you want in the next reply.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
In the Legend of Korra we see Bolin, Su, and Lin slicing a building and then pushing it over..
But that resembles on how someone in real life would do it, with what they're physical capable of.

Can someone push an unhanged boxing bag (like they're height)? Yes, the people might suffer a little bit resistance with a strain, but they can push it away for certain, as an average person. That's comparing with what Biolin, Sue and Lin did.

Now, how about grabbing a skate board while STANDING on IT, and try to push yourself over to the top of a near tower? Now compare it with an EarthSmash. Now do you see how that's is contradicting.

Earthbenders is no difference with the effort of a physical man pushing something that they have 'strength' for to suceed in doing, with the exception that a bending art doesn't require a physical contact touch with the said about-to-bent object.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
I'd like to disagree with this. What makes Earth opposite to Air is it's stubbornness. Air is free flowing and represents peace where Earth is stubborn and diverse. According to the Avatar Wiki: "Earthbending is one of the most diverse of the bending arts. . ." So I see no reason why Earth can't have mobility. I don't think they should be able to move fluidly like an Airbender or Waterbender might, but their mobility should be straight and rigid. For example, catapult should go in a straight direction and follow physics, they should not be able to move all catawonkus in the air, which is true for the current state of catapult. Earth Smash allows them to move more like a Water/Airbender which I disagree with, but I've already gone over that. JedCores Earth Surf is way to fluid to be an Earth move. I would suggest to him to make it a more rigid mobility move for Earth if he took suggestions.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
Can someone push an unhanged boxing bag (like they're height)? Yes, the people might suffer a little bit resistance with a strain, but they can push it away for certain, as an average person. That's comparing with what Biolin, Sue and Lin did.
You're comparing a boxing back to a several story tall building....

xNuminousx

Verified Member
Now, how about grabbing a skate board while STANDING on IT, and try to push yourself over to the top of a near tower? Now compare it with an EarthSmash. Now do you see how that's is contradicting
No, because you can't bend the skateboard. It's irrelevant.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
I didn't said that it shouldn't be immobile. Either my english was off and worded incorrectly, but what I meant to say "earthbending should be less mobile as air and water", which I can see by this convo that we're both agreeing on that fact.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
No, because you can't bend the skateboard. It's irrelevant.
Fine. Bad analogy. But how can you prove that an earthbender can achieve self-exertion through bending? It wasn't canon of course, but bending-facts do have to prove your believe? Lifting someone else isn't that close as too lifing someone else. Why earthbenders used catapult? Couldn't they just use a earthhelicopter (that's how I like to call that flawed technique).

xNuminousx

Verified Member
Think of it like picking up the earthsmash while someone else is on top of it. As the boulder rises, the entity on top of it rises. Same logic would apply if YOU were on it. If your on top of it, what would prevent you from manipulate it? Yea you have the force but I've already proved force for a bender doesn't act the same way it does for us. It'll be difficult, sure. But not impossible. You lift the boulder standing right next to it, so why not lift it while you're on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
I might be wrong on this. Maybe earthbenders can self-exert the earth below them. My only concern is right now that just leaving earthbenders to fly would be:
1)cramping the style originated from what we got from the show.
2)too mobile (they're like airbenders/firejetters with EarthSmash rn).
3)They aren't stubborn/typical earthbenders, but more like Biolin's, thus not giving much of a diversity and more like "be the same styled".

I might have to change the argumenet from that with the one in this comment.