• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Announcing the first ProjectKorra Community Contest - Win up to $20

Mist

Staff member
Administrator
Hello everyone -

Have you needed a reason or incentive to hone your development skills? Have you had an idea that you wanted to see implemented into ProjectKorra? Well now is your chance to do both. Today, we are announcing the first ever ProjectKorra add-on development contest. Even if you don't know how to develop an add-on, here is your chance to learn. Read on for more information.

What you need to know:
  • Submissions will be accepted for 3 weeks from today. This means that all submissions are due on Friday, April 7th at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (United States)
  • Submissions do not have to be complex in code, rather, both creativity and execution are weighted equally.
  • The winning submission, and other notable submissions are eligible to be placed in the official ProjectKorra (Core) plugin (may be subject to additional tweaking by our Concept Design Department)
  • The winning participants will receive a $20 prize. Must be accepted via PayPal. Additionally, the top 3 participants will receive the top donor rank for a month on the official ProjectKorra server when it launches.
  • Any developer that shows an appropriate skillset, may be eligible for a staff position on ProjectKorra's development team.
So you now have the basics. The next bit of the post will get more into the nitty-gritty of the contest rules.

The rules:
  • All submissions MUST be your own. If you are found to be copying someone else's code a significant amount, you will be automatically disqualified.
  • Former ProjectKorra Developers are able to participate. Current ProjectKorra Developers may be reached out to for help, but aren't able to participate. Non-development staff are eligible to participate.
  • Scoring will happen in two rounds. Developers will pick the top 5 submissions based on the scoring criteria outlined below. These top 5 submissions will then be put to a vote by the ProjectKorra community to decide on the winner.
    • Scoring Criteria:
      • 3 Developers, to be announced later, will make up the scoring panel for the first round. They will score based on two categories: creativity and execution. Each category is worth 10 points, for a total of 20 points.
        • The 3 developers total scores will average out to give you a final score out of 20.
        • Creativity: how original is the idea? Has someone else done it in an already existing add-on before the contest started? You will not be penalized, however, from creating from a suggestion that already exists but has not been implemented. Additionally, you are allowed to re-create an existing ability in ProjectKorra (Core) if you are convinced you can do it in a good way.
        • Execution simply refers to whether or not the addon works as described and how it interacts with the game. Coding standards are NOT judged, meaning we can excuse sloppy code as it is something that can be fixed.
  • Your submission must be a new ability, or a rework of an existing or past ability. It cannot be something that already exists in the Add-on section of the forum. Your ability may be for any element, a passive, or anything your heart desires. BE CREATIVE.
  • You must submit a single ability. We will not accept rather large plugins with multiple abilities in them.
  • Each participant is limited to 1 entry.
  • Your submission may not be from an add-on that currently exists and is maintained. Abandoned abilities are okay, but are heavily frowned upon (may penalize you in the creative category). Essentially, you should be designing and creating something new.
Submitting your ability:
  • You can submit your ability through an application hosted on our website. You can access it by clicking this link. Be warned, each person may only submit it once.
  • This will create a new thread in a new category called "Contest Submissions", you'll only be able to see your own post, so don't feel alarmed when you don't see anything else.
  • When it's received (should be within 48 hours), someone from our team (OmniCypher or myself) will comment giving you something along the lines of "Thanks for the submission!" and mark it as "Valid" to ensure that we have all the parts we need to judge the submission.
    • If you're missing something essential, i.e. the source code, we may ask you to edit your thread and post it. You will not be able to re-submit the jar, however, so make sure you do this correctly on your first try!
    • You are at risk if you wait until the end to make your submission. If it gets down to the last 48 hours and you don't have a completed entry, it is no one's fault but your own. Ask questions if you're confused.
Need help? Here is where to look:
  • The ProjectKorra Javadocs
  • There is a new category on the forum that you can use to ask for Development help. Click here to use it. Anyone in the community, or our development staff, can help you out.
  • We've written a tutorial on how to create a basic ability, you can find it here.
  • @Sobki has done a video series on how to develop a slightly more advanced ability. Find it here.
  • You can also use any Java development tutorial that you can find on the internet, in a book, or wherever.
Do you have any questions? Here's what's next

I did my best to put all of the information I could in this post. I'm sure I missed something. The post after this will be reserved for a Frequently Asked Questions. If you have any question whatsoever, please refer to the post right below this, or just reply to this thread. We'll do our best to answer it. I mean it, ask if you have any questions. This isn't meant to be a contest just for coding experts, it's open to literally everyone. We invite everyone to learn something new with this one.

Happy creating & good luck!

Mist

Staff member
Administrator
Frequently asked questions:

Does winning the contest automatically place your entry into the plugin?

No, we will only put stuff into ProjectKorra (Core) if it is high quality and balanced with the rest of the plugin. This means that it doesn't even have to be the winning submission. Additionally, you can opt for it to be excluded (we'll ask before we use anything!)

Can I use someone else's idea?

Yes, if someone else gives you the idea and you just want to make it, that's fine. We'll be judging the submission itself based on who actually submits the add-on. You can get an idea from anywhere you'd like.

Does the idea have to be canon?

No! You can think as far outside the box as you wish.

Is it allowed to be an additional element (i.e. Light / Dark Spirit)?

Absolutely, just make sure it works.

This post will be updated periodically as new questions are asked and answered.

xNuminousx

I will not be participating in this contest.

The idea is cool, I like that you're engaging the community. But the benefits do not intrigue me and nor do I have the time to make a unique and valuable move (especially within 3 weeks).

Besides me (I am not participating) there are 2 other ACTIVE add-on creators which worries me. Maybe this contest will bring out some shadowed developers who haven't made themselves known, Idk. But I'm worried this 1st round which will include the top 5 won't even be met; I think we'd all be lucky to see 4 or 5 submissions (Since current developers cannot participate). My main concern with this engaging community idea is that there may not be a lot who participate. For those who are, that's the good news! There won't be a lot of competition!

If I can finish my Avatar move before 3 weeks I'll reconsider my participation.

I wish all participants Good luck! Think OUTSIDE OF THE BOX
2ffec20f.gif

Besides me (I am not participating) there are 2 other ACTIVE add-on creators which worries me. Maybe this contest will bring out some shadowed developers who haven't made themselves known, Idk. But I'm worried this 1st round which will include the top 5 won't even be met; I think we'd all be lucky to see 4 or 5 submissions (Since current developers cannot participate). My main concern with this engaging community idea is that there may not be a lot who participate. For those who are, that's the good news! There won't be a lot of competition!
And because of that concern, I asked whenever you might have released to early. 3 weeks seem to quick for me, since not alot of people are active nowadays and aren't really do much except just AFK and waiting for their questions to be responde. Though, we cannot guarantee and that might be subjected to change, like wh knows amirite? Nevertheless, this is actually a well thought executed "community-interaction" thingy which were looking from some time of numerious of people. I think this is great way to engage with us who aren't involve in the staff department and I hope we got something similar to like these annoucements more :) So... kudos for that and the great idea of whoever thought off it!

Last edited:

xNuminousx

And because of that concern, I asked whenever you might have released to early. 3 weeks seem to quick for me, since not alot of people are active nowadays and aren't really do much except just AFK and waiting for their questions to be responde. Nevertheless, this is actually a well thought executed "community-interaction" thingy which were looking from some time of numerious of people. I think this is great way to engage with us who aren't involve in the staff department and I hope we got something similar to like these annoucements more :) So... kudos for that and the great idea of whoever thought off it!
I think this is a great idea as well, however I don't think it should have been executed at this moment in time. There just aren't enough active people to make this contest truly exciting. They may get a couple submissions but even then, with this time schedule, idk if they'd be well thought about abilities or anything. As far as I know, we don't have any expert Java peeps out there who aren't already apart of the Developer rank.

Mesk, you've mentioned making moves before but I have no idea who well you know Java. Emerald is pretty good with Java from what I've seen (We message frequently) but idk if I'd consider him an expert. Me and him are on the same level with things, he's even more knowledgable than me though. I've seen what Nerd can do. He's a force to be reckoned with. He made code I couldn't have made which leads me to believe he's not a novice at all, unlike me. I have been messing with Java for a few months now and I still have a lot to learn. I think Pride has mentioned making private stuff before, can't recall (It may have been someone else). And those are all the active developer people I know of, some of which don't make public things.

Sobki

Staff member
Lead Developer
Plugin Developer
I think the main aim of this isn't just to bring new developers out, but give encouragement for those on a lower level to build on their skills with the assistance of those from the development team. What I got from reading the post isn't that it's necessarily "you're on your own" kind of thing. I'm not sure though, I know as much as you guys. First time reading it for me too. :) Best of luck to those who enter, and I encourage all of you to do so!

xNuminousx

I think the main aim of this isn't just to bring new developers out, but give encouragement for those on a lower level to build on their skills with the assistance of those from the development team. What I got from reading the post isn't that it's necessarily "you're on your own" kind of thing. I'm not sure though, I know as much as you guys. First time reading it for me too. :) Best of luck to those who enter, and I encourage all of you to do so!
The winning submission is eligible to be in Core, for which I think the move should be really well made. I personally wouldn't want any of my moves (except the HighJump Replacement) to be in Core because they just aren't good enough.

Sobki

Staff member
Lead Developer
Plugin Developer
The winning submission is eligible to be in Core, for which I think the move should be really well made. I personally wouldn't want any of my moves (except the HighJump Replacement) to be in Core because they just aren't good enough.
Eligible doesn't necessarily mean it will. I think it's more, only if it's a very well made ability (obviously). But hey, use this as an opportunity to try something new? Push yourself to a new level

xNuminousx

Eligible doesn't necessarily mean it will. I think it's more, only if it's a very well made ability (obviously). But hey, use this as an opportunity to try something new? Push yourself to a new level
If I can finish my Avatar move before 3 weeks I'll reconsider my participation.
I will still use this ^^ My avatar move is an original ability and if I've been trying to fix it for forever. I don't think I can start a new one and finish it before the 3 weeks lol

xNuminousx

And I'm of course not trying to discourage anyone for participating. I'm just listing the reason why I won't be.

If anyone finds this interesting, you should really go for it. We could use the fresh content in the forums.

Loony

I think this is a great idea as well, however I don't think it should have been executed at this moment in time. There just aren't enough active people to make this contest truly exciting. They may get a couple submissions but even then, with this time schedule, idk if they'd be well thought about abilities or anything. As far as I know, we don't have any expert Java peeps out there who aren't already apart of the Developer rank.

Mesk, you've mentioned making moves before but I have no idea who well you know Java. Emerald is pretty good with Java from what I've seen (We message frequently) but idk if I'd consider him an expert. Me and him are on the same level with things, he's even more knowledgable than me though. I've seen what Nerd can do. He's a force to be reckoned with. He made code I couldn't have made which leads me to believe he's not a novice at all, unlike me. I have been messing with Java for a few months now and I still have a lot to learn. I think Pride has mentioned making private stuff before, can't recall (It may have been someone else). And those are all the active developer people I know of, some of which don't make public things.
Just to but in; you don't need to be an expert on Java to make an ability.

xNuminousx

Just to but in; you don't need to be an expert on Java to make an ability.
You dont, thats true. But I strive for quality. I can't make a quality move with what I make. I wouldn't submit something that I made within 3 weeks but that's just me.

Gamzee

God Tier Member
I wish everyone luck in this contest. I won't be participating since I have no skill in Java/ will to succeed, but I do have an extremly large list of ability suggestions for other projects that I have not released on PK. If you need some inspiration, hit me up.

OmniCypher

Staff member
Lead Developer
Administrator
Plugin Developer
I wish everyone luck in this contest. I won't be participating since I have no skill in Java/ will to succeed, but I do have an extremly large list of ability suggestions for other projects that I have not released on PK. If you need some inspiration, hit me up.
You could always take this as a great opportunity to learn a new and ever expandable skill! ;)

I have 2 questions.

1. Is it allowed to add an additional element with your ability? When I say this, I'm talking about Light- & Darkspirits. I have ideas for these categories but the Spirit side plugin has not been released yet, sadly.

2. Am I allowed to use @Gamzee 's ideas? And if so, will that give me a penalty in the creativity category?

Thanks in advance