• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Fire Shields Reducing Damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

promancer

Verified Member
Maybe airshield and airswipe should also reduce damage.
Airshield could be buffed to reduce damage of whatever it can't currently block.
Airswipe could be debuffed to just reduce the damage of things like Watermanipulation.

And water:
Surge water form could reduce damage of things it can't block currently.
Torrent could reduce damage of attacks that hit the torrent ring, but the torrent would eventually do less damage or knockback depending on which way it is used.
Octopusform could reduce damage of attacks that come near it.
So, nerfing a move that already has one heart and a longer cooldown than all other basic moves by default in config... All I see is longer battles with an element that, if used right, can be untouchable. Definitely needed.
I do agree airshield needs a major buff, because right now, it just makes you a sitting duck for every element to aim at. (Especially lavabenders) At the least, airshield needs a change in description.
"Air Shield is one of the most powerful defensive techniques in existence... This wind will deflect all projectiles and will prevent any creature from entering it for as long as its maintained."

Last edited:

SuperBower118

Verified Member
Chi blockers are suppose to have a disadvantage... This was in the show, and propelled a whole new season forward...

WallofFire may be one of the most OP moves fire has. Its DoT aswell as AoE (on a horizonal distance anyway), it continuously does damage even without the DoT of catching you on fire, add a simple activation and you've got a easy spam uncannon walloffire. Oh, and i think the game confuses distance when you aim close to terrain. Just a guess though.

Torrent doesn't have a DoT... If you're able, you can hit someone multiple times. Its like this (or atleast what my extremely limited knowledge of coding and how it works), torrent's hitbox or damage radius or whatever you wish to call it is in the front. Once it's hit someone, its suppose to dissapear, but, if you work it right it wont dissapear and will continuously hit the person as long as you aim it. So far, ive only seen this done in succession about 3-4 times. Still, how effective this strategy is relies solely on how much torrent's damage is set in config.

Just because one does wrong doesn't mean everyone's standards should be set lower...
If you get pulled by the torrent, it'll do damage to you multiple times, which stacks up easily. Also, if you keep using your config option, then I can easily say that walloffire isn't OP because it depends on the config- you can make it do minimal damage in the config and give it a 10 second cooldown. The config shouldn't always be an option.
It's pretty hard to raise my standards when every element has its "poison" which some people consider OP, unbearable, or both. Either way, I'm not gonna start a 10 post discussion about our views of bending and what's OP and what's not again.

promancer

Verified Member
If you get pulled by the torrent, it'll do damage to you multiple times, which stacks up easily. Also, if you keep using your config option, then I can easily say that walloffire isn't OP because it depends on the config- you can make it do minimal damage in the config and give it a 10 second cooldown. The config shouldn't always be an option.
It's pretty hard to raise my standards when every element has its "poison" which some people consider OP, unbearable, or both. Either way, I'm not gonna start a 10 post discussion about our views of bending and what's OP and what's not again.
I agree, but still, something needs to be done about every element. Walloffire does constant damage and ten seconds isnt long...
Anyway, fireshield defies alot of logic. At most, it should negate some damage from dirt earthblast. Remember, anything that it does to outside projectiles, should be exponentially multiplied by what should happen to the bender. Fireshield is literally being surrounded by fire, and its swirling. The more defence it supplies, the more the firebender is at risk. Its a double edged sword. The biggest thing we've seen it block (correct me if im wrong) is combustion.

SuperBower118

Verified Member
I agree, but still, something needs to be done about every element. Walloffire does constant damage and ten seconds isnt long...
Anyway, fireshield defies alot of logic. At most, it should negate some damage from dirt earthblast. Remember, anything that it does to outside projectiles, should be exponentially multiplied by what should happen to the bender. Fireshield is literally being surrounded by fire, and its swirling. The more defence it supplies, the more the firebender is at risk. Its a double edged sword. The biggest thing we've seen it block (correct me if im wrong) is combustion.
Bending doesn't have to obey much logic because A: This isn't something very realistic (a collection of flames shouldn't stop a rock by being thrown at you, but this is bending) B: This is a video game. Not EVERY SINGLE ASPECT has to be the same as real life and/or the show. Also, I do remember Korra making a fire shield that blocked one of Vaatu's tentacle slaps. I honestly forget if Korra was in the state or not.

FearlessPie121

Verified Member
I can very agree with this. Of course, Fireshield does not have as much force as airshield therefore should not have the same resistance. I support the reduction of projectiles. Although, I think lava should increase its damage when passing through fireshield because in reality if it's not gonna block lava, then it's gonna make it hotter. This would balance out the reduction damage.

The damage of firebending is very large, though fire is the element of force, but the damage is huge. The fireblast gives 2.5 + arson of about 1.5. But if the spam? It is impossible to resist. I know it's there in the config, but still, the balance of firebending is lost!
Yes, Firebending can get.... quite... overwhelming. Though, remember, like you said Firebending can be configured. Fireblast can be configured to 0.5 hearts per hit. We really cannot do anything about spamming, because even in the show, it has been recognized that fire can barrage many attacks, but so can water and earth and air. It really just comes down to location of sources.

promancer

Verified Member
Bending doesn't have to obey much logic because A: This isn't something very realistic (a collection of flames shouldn't stop a rock by being thrown at you, but this is bending) B: This is a video game. Not EVERY SINGLE ASPECT has to be the same as real life and/or the show. Also, I do remember Korra making a fire shield that blocked one of Vaatu's tentacle slaps. I honestly forget if Korra was in the state or not.
Video games are based off of life.... Look at minecraft... Its basically a building sim.
Korra is the avatar, they were lavabending before lavabending was a thing...
Bending does have to obey logic, or you have chaos.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Video games are based off of life.... Look at minecraft... Its basically a building sim.
Korra is the avatar, they were lavabending before lavabending was a thing...
Bending does have to obey logic, or you have chaos.
Yes yes, MineCraft is such a realistic game. You can totally create a diamond sword from a stick and 2 pieces of diamond.
Super Smash bros is also based on real life so much. Because I always see random fighting stages pop up with random game characters fighting on them.

Joeri

Verified Member
Yes yes, MineCraft is such a realistic game. You can totally create a diamond sword from a stick and 2 pieces of diamond.
Super Smash bros is also based on real life so much. Because I always see random fighting stages pop up with random game characters fighting on them.
Also i can totally punch a tree to death in real life and somehow get a cube of 1 meter by 1 meter from it

League of Legends is also totally realistic, because who doesn't destroy enemy towers daily and punch their crystal to death, I ALSO MEET PEOPLE LIKE JINX DAILY

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Also i can totally punch a tree to death in real life and somehow get a cube of 1 meter by 1 meter from it

League of Legends is also totally realistic, because who doesn't destroy enemy towers daily and punch their crystal to death, I ALSO MEET PEOPLE LIKE JINX DAILY
Apply cold water to the burned area.

promancer

Verified Member
Games are based on rules. Every game needs rules. Walldmg is based on rules. Repeat what I said. BASED. They're games so people can express other topics not in real life. Infact, the US at a time, used WoW's economy as a stimulant for the real economy.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Games are based on rules. Every game needs rules. Walldmg is based on rules. Repeat what I said. BASED. They're games so people can express other topics not in real life. Infact, the US at a time, used WoW's economy as a stimulant for the real economy.
You just said games are based on real life though. It doesn't seem like you really know what you are saying.

promancer

Verified Member
Actually that wouldn't help like you think it would in a real life situation.

Actually most of what he and others have said have value to the thread.
Well, so does what I have said. The argument made was that because video games have differences to irl, they shouldnt be based off of principles irl or other. It is based however on Tlok, inwhich taking away bending, spirits, (and whatever category the lion turtles belong in) and you have real life.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Actually that wouldn't help like you think it would in a real life situation.

Actually most of what he and others have said have value to the thread.
You get the joke.

Also, @promancer states things, then states something differently/the opposite, so I don't really see a reason to still get notifications from this useless discussion xd

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Well, so does what I have said. The argument made was that because video games have differences to irl, they shouldnt be based off of principles irl or other. It is based however on Tlok, inwhich taking away bending, spirits, (and whatever category the lion turtles belong in) and you have real life.
I never said yours didn't xD

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
You get the joke.

Also, @promancer states things, then states something differently/the opposite, so I don't really see a reason to still get notifications from this useless discussion xd
The joke would be better if instead of ice water it were some sort of aloe salve :)

Status
Not open for further replies.