• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Looking Into SpiritualConnection

Fuzzy

Ability Background:
It is shown in the Legend of Korra series that spirits are able to enter the physical bodies of humans. With that being said, in the era of Raava, Avatar Wan and Raava are not Spiritually Bonded yet. If Wan needed more power for his bending or needed to change his element, Raava would pass through him, only connecting with him for a few seconds as shown below:

The ability SpiritualConnection is similar to what Raava and Wan were accomplishing in the series. With the ability SpiritualConnection, spirits will be able to bond with benders to give them a form of avatarstate that is not as strong as the origional one. Although the bender will recieve a rush of power and their bending will be much stronger, Raava stated that the longer a spirit stays withing the body of a human, the more corrupted the human's spirit becomes. As a downside to this move, if a bender and a spirit are connected for more than 5 seconds, the bender begin to loose health rapidly. This rapid loss of health is the spirit corrupting the human's spirit. Listed directly below are the ONLY boosts that the SpiritualConnection's AvatarState gives:

SpiritualConnection AvatarState:
- Players will not have to charge their abilitys
- Players will recieve resistance

Usage:
To use this ability, a spirit will need to walk over to a bender and be within 2 blocks from them. Once they are within the two block radius of a bender, a spirit will look directly at a bender and hold shift. Once a spirit toggles shift while looking at a bender, the targeted bender will recieve a chat notification as shown below:

To accept the connection, the targeted bender will have to shift click on the spirit. Once the targeted bender accepts the connection between them, the bender will recieve a less-op form of avatar state as expressed above. The connection between the two players will last for however long the spirit is holding shift. To cancel this connection between the two players, the Bender must be killed or the spirit will release shift. The bender does not control how long the spirit stays within their body, once the connection has been established between both players, it is up to the spirit to decide when it disconnects from the benders body. That makes each role, the spirits and the benders, unique for this ability. This also makes this move very dangerous.

If you have any comments or suggestions to make this move better, please let me know in the chat! I love constructive criticism!

Thanks for reading,
~Fuzzy

DanStryder

This is a really good suggestion imo! Im assuming that the spirit would go into spectator gamemode and be in the viewpoint of the bender?

And what about the spirit's chat? :D it would be nice if when the spiritual connection is stablished, it would appear in the chat "Player's spirit is being corrupted! In five seconds the bender's body will be injured!" and when the player is taking damage "Player is being injured!"

Gamzee

God Tier Member
Instead of shift+click it should be /bending spirit accept (/b s a), because it might interfere with moves like fire burst or shockwave.

Helios

This is awesome. Any idea if there will b any visual effects when the spirit joines the bender? Cause in the first GIF, its shows a bright flash of light.

Joeri

It should be a little bit longer, like 10 seconds. And moves should deal extra damage and be bigger etc instead of just no charge

That's because no charge is only good on fire tbh

Sketz

I disagree, In the series, Raava did give him boost of power & bending.
However, other spirits can't do that. When different spirits pass through humans, they turn, where they kinda look like that spirit.

Raava, Is a Special Spirit, Not regular a one.

I don't recall this happening in the series.
Which was allowing Raava to do that. So yeah,

It just doesn't seem right to me. =/

Joeri

I disagree, In the series, Raava did give him boost of power & bending.
However, other spirits can't do that. When different spirits pass through humans, they turn, where they kinda look like that spirit.

Raava, Is a Special Spirit, Not regular a one.

I don't recall this happening in the series.
Which was allowing Raava to do that. So yeah,

It just doesn't seem right to me. =/
Actually a evil spirit corrupted a old man known by Wan and he turned in this weirdt tree creep

DanStryder

So instead of boosting the player, it be a spirit attack? Like you go into the player for 5 seconds then get kicked out, this deals a fair bit of damage and has a decent cooldown to it

Orion_Solus

The idea is great but I think that if the bender dies the spirit dies as well. This is so that the spirit can't use this as an offensive ability and would require co-operation from bot of them.

Fuzzy

This is awesome. Any idea if there will b any visual effects when the spirit joines the bender? Cause in the first GIF, its shows a bright flash of light.
I agree with this, great idea! We could possibly have nether portal particles or white firework particles used for the animation.

For people who do not know:
Spiritual Bonding = Its when two spirits are spiritually bonded. How all of the avatars are with Raava. (Can only happen through harmonic convergence)
Spiritual Connection = When a Spirit enter a humans body, without proper control from the spirit, the human's spirit gets pushed from its physical body.

Background:
In the show, there is a difference from when spirits are spiritually bonded with a human and when spirits are just connected physically with a human. When Raava or any other spirit just connects to a human, they only pass on their energy. At times, their energy can be so powerful that it may kill the human body's connection with its own spirit. The reason avatar wan had a glowing effect around his body before harmonic convergence, was because their energy's were ONLY connected. This means that Raava's spirit was basically overriding Wan's, and if Raava were to stay in Wan's body for too long, his spirit will leave his body. Although, when an avatar uses Raavas energy, they do so at their own free will, and since the avatar controls how much of the energy that flows into their body, they will not become corrupted. This is also why avatars do not glow when using the spiritual energy from Raava. Since their spirits are bonded, the energy comes from within the avatar. This is why their whole body does not glow, only their eyes glow because the energy is already within them.

Sketz

Actually a evil spirit corrupted a old man known by Wan and he turned in this weirdt tree creep

Yes, He did,That's what i ment By "When different spirits pass through humans, they turn, where they kinda look like that spirit."
Up in my comment ^.

It changed him. IT didn't give him boost of power....

Fuzzy

Yes, He did,That's what i ment By "When different spirits pass through humans, they turn, where they kinda look like that spirit."
Up in my comment ^.

It changed him. IT didn't give him boost of power....
It gave him the power to use all four elements, and they were also enhanced. Humans only have the power to hold one element, but when Raava and Wan link their energys together and bond their spirits, he can use all four at the same time. Although avatars can bend all four elements, you never see them use all of them at the same time without the use of avatar state. I believe the reason is because they need to use Raava's energy and connect with her through the Avatar state in order to use all four elements at once. Also there were two other incidents where spirits entered the body's of humans and it turned out badly. As you can see from the series, Raava is a much older spirit so she knows how to manipulate energy properly. This is why she knows how to give and receive elements to wan by fusing their energy (before they are Bonded). The incident I believe you are talking about is when the spirit (shown below) enters the body of a human and slowly, the human begins to transform into what that spirit looks like. I believe the only reason this happened was because that spirit's sole intention was to corrupt the humans spirit. The spirit wanted the human to leave the forest because they were destroying it, and believe me, that would be a good way to make them leave.

Sketz

It gave him the power to use all four elements, and they were also enhanced. Humans only have the power to hold one element, but when Raava and Wan link their energys together and bond their spirits, he can use all four at the same time. Although avatars can bend all four elements, you never see them use all of them at the same time without the use of avatar state. I believe the reason is because they need to use Raava's energy and connect with her through the Avatar state in order to use all four elements at once. Also there were two other incidents where spirits entered the body's of humans and it turned out badly. As you can see from the series, Raava is a much older spirit so she knows how to manipulate energy properly. This is why she knows how to give and receive elements to wan by fusing their energy (before they are Bonded). The incident I believe you are talking about is when the spirit (shown below) enters the body of a human and slowly, the human begins to transform into what that spirit looks like. I believe the only reason this happened was because that spirit's sole intention was to corrupt the humans spirit. The spirit wanted the human to leave the forest because they were destroying it, and believe me, that would be a good way to make them leave.

Yep. but still, the other spirits like him ^, don't give special boost.
It's not really proven they can or can't. but the logical answer is that they can't. If they could, it would be show in the series.

Spirits where just show attacking, or floating around minding there own stuff.. :I

WeTitans3

For all those saying Raava gave him all four elements, that's not quite true at all. the turtles one which the humans lived were the ones who gave out the power, and took it back when a human returned. Wan collected all four from different types of turtles and did not return the power like the humans usually did and were suppsoe to. That is how he got all 4 elements.

Yes, it was liked that, but while Avatar Wan was recieving the Power of the other Elements, the Spirit of Light was holding the others. While the young man learned Airbending, Raava had the Element of Fire. When Raava and Wan were fighting the Spirit of Darkness, Raava passed through the Firebender to switch the Elements. As said previously, only Wan's spirit and Raava bounded, he was able to bend the four Elements. For instance, when Vaatu bounded with with Unalaq, the Waterbender couldn't bend the four Elements because Vaatu wasn't holding any Element. By the way, we can compare Raava switching Wan's bending with "The Legend of Korra - Videogame". You can only use one Element at time and you can switch between Elements. Only if you are in the Avatar State you can bend the four Elements at the same time (or just two, because while Korra is in the Avatar State, she is Airbending a Tornado and blasts of every Elements).

Yes, it was liked that, but while Avatar Wan was recieving the Power of the other Elements, the Spirit of Light was holding the others. While the young man learned Airbending, Raava had the Element of Fire. When Raava and Wan were fighting the Spirit of Darkness, Raava passed through the Firebender to switch the Elements. As said previously, only Wan's spirit and Raava bounded, he was able to bend the four Elements. For instance, when Vaatu bounded with with Unalaq, the Waterbender couldn't bend the four Elements because Vaatu wasn't holding any Element. By the way, we can compare Raava switching Wan's bending with "The Legend of Korra - Videogame". You can only use one Element at time and you can switch between Elements. Only if you are in the Avatar State you can bend the four Elements at the same time (or just two, because while Korra is in the Avatar State, she is Airbending a Tornado and blasts of every Elements).