• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Looking Into SpiritualConnection

Taiko the Waterbender

Verified Member
Yes, it was liked that, but while Avatar Wan was recieving the Power of the other Elements, the Spirit of Light was holding the others. While the young man learned Airbending, Raava had the Element of Fire. When Raava and Wan were fighting the Spirit of Darkness, Raava passed through the Firebender to switch the Elements. As said previously, only Wan's spirit and Raava bounded, he was able to bend the four Elements. For instance, when Vaatu bounded with with Unalaq, the Waterbender couldn't bend the four Elements because Vaatu wasn't holding any Element. By the way, we can compare Raava switching Wan's bending with "The Legend of Korra - Videogame". You can only use one Element at time and you can switch between Elements. Only if you are in the Avatar State you can bend the four Elements at the same time (or just two, because while Korra is in the Avatar State, she is Airbending a Tornado and blasts of every Elements).

Gamzee

God Tier Member
Verified Member
That signature is a bit large as well, Taiko.
And you sent the same post three times, just if you didn't notice.

Moonelight

Verified Member
Good concept imo, but it could use some changes. For one; Raava was a spirit unlike any other. Her spiritual capabilities combined with a human possessing bending is a whole different story from when a regular spirit bonds with a regular human w/ bending. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea and hope some form of this gets added.

My second thing I need to say is, a regular spirit can't give power to a human. You're sticking to your example with Raava and Wan, and again Raava is unlike any other spirit. When a regular spirit bonds with another human, they are controlled and corrupted, but given physical features/capabilities that the spirit bonding possessed. That being said, if a light spirit bonded with a human the effects wouldn't be as negative when a dark spirit bonds. So, my proposal is that when a dark spirit bonds with you, you begin to loose health faster, also lose control of your character, and you are given nausea effects.
When a light spirit bonds, you would keep the boost for a short amount of time. (Basic boost)
... sorry Im giving out all my opinions for every possible thing in this thread that I am currently thinking of...
Next and hopefully last, IF the developers decide to give you a avatar - state - like - boost it should only effect one move. The freedom of the ability would eventually ruin PvP. Once you use that ONE move you have 3 seconds to push the spirit out of your body (with a shift) before you began rapidly loosing health (2 hearts a second). That or the spirit stays in your body until 1/2 heart and leaves you.

Unfair boosts require a balancing feature to create equal and fair gameplay.

AlexTheCoder

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Im pretty sure he had some evil intentions doe rite? I thought he like possessed other people
He possessed evil people to make them stop being dicks XD, we see him as a dark spirit later on when he is affected by Vaatu

Tenket

Verified Member
So instead of boosting the player, it be a spirit attack? Like you go into the player for 5 seconds then get kicked out, this deals a fair bit of damage and has a decent cooldown to it
I worry about how this could be defended from. Seems like the benders have no defence.
Is there range limits? I think the spirit should have to channel uninterrupted at the bender before they would be able to possess them. None of this permission by the bender nonsense.

If they meditate into the spirit world then its even worse. But i guess that would be incentive to go into the spirit world physically.
If you just meditate in you will get rekt anyway.

Yep. but still, the other spirits like him ^, don't give special boost.
It's not really proven they can or can't. but the logical answer is that they can't. If they could, it would be show in the series.

Spirits where just show attacking, or floating around minding there own stuff.. :I
I'm thinking all spirits can technically possess humans. But only for a short time or it will hurt them. That was shown in the episode about the first avatar.
I think the mechanic of just doing damage after a channel is a bit boring.

We could have a whole friend to the spirits thing going on.

Let me suggest a way to implement it.

Mechanics
Basics

In the game all spirits should be able to possess humans, but while they are in there they give either a buff/debuff (Depending on the spirits spiritual alignment).
The way this is done is similar to suffocate. You need to target the human for a certain amount of time without being interrupted or the human leaving the range of the spirit's ability.

The type of effect on the bender should depend on what kind of spirit you are. (Ocean, Swamp, etc)
If they stay too long then the spirit will be expelled and they will hurt the bender.
  • Spirits can stay up to 30 seconds actively buffing/cursing human. At the 30 second mark they damage the human and are expelled.
  • Light spirits can choose to stay longer. (Up to 90 sec possesion before hurting bender and being expelled, after 30 sec the bender gets a stronger effect)
  • Dark spirits can choose to hurt people quicker. (Only takes 15 seconds before the Dark spirit can choose to leave and hurt bender)
The buff/curse should last a little after the possession ends, only if the spirit chose to leave early though.
  • This is to inject tactics. You either can....
    • Do damage from a safe place (if you land the channel).
    • Leave the bender and fight them while they have a de buff.
Curse/Buff Mechanics expanded
So when lesser spirits possess benders, it gives them a curse/buff that is based on what kind of spirit they are while they are in there.
Dark swamp spirits would make the bender slow(vines)
Light swamp spirits would provide healing.

Dark Ocean spirits would make benders super slow in water. (I hate being slowed)
Light Ocean spirits would make them move fast in water,

Certain more powerful types of spirits could give boosts to bending or some more extreme hardcore effects. But only be able to stay for a short time.
Eg. Moon spirit.

(Not final and would love the suggestions)

Curses last much longer after the dark spirit leaves. Like the wood guy that Avatar Wan knew. He stayed messed up for ages.
Buffs will be more like lingering energy.
But less powerful effects would linger longer than more extreme ones in both cases.

Spiritual energy of the bender should account for some things.
The time before you would be hurt is dependant on your spiritual energy (there's a thread about it). So those who were stronger would have greater chance to take advantage of light spirits buffs and be able to resist the channel of dark spirits long enough to get out or range or interrupt the channel. This would be incentive to make this attribute stronger too.

Benefits for spirits
This would allow light spirits to travel with bending buddies and hitch a ride when their air bender friend rockets off into the distance.

Gives identity to your choice of spirit subtype. Makes it more tactical in your choice of spirit and what environment you attack benders in. For example that dark ocean spirits are very effective in ocean biomes with their swimming speed debuffs.

Janny

Verified Member
Ability Background:
It is shown in the Legend of Korra series that spirits are able to enter the physical bodies of humans. With that being said, in the era of Raava, Avatar Wan and Raava are not Spiritually Bonded yet. If Wan needed more power for his bending or needed to change his element, Raava would pass through him, only connecting with him for a few seconds as shown below:

The ability SpiritualConnection is similar to what Raava and Wan were accomplishing in the series. With the ability SpiritualConnection, spirits will be able to bond with benders to give them a form of avatarstate that is not as strong as the origional one. Although the bender will recieve a rush of power and their bending will be much stronger, Raava stated that the longer a spirit stays withing the body of a human, the more corrupted the human's spirit becomes. As a downside to this move, if a bender and a spirit are connected for more than 5 seconds, the bender begin to loose health rapidly. This rapid loss of health is the spirit corrupting the human's spirit. Listed directly below are the ONLY boosts that the SpiritualConnection's AvatarState gives:

SpiritualConnection AvatarState:
- Players will not have to charge their abilitys
- Players will recieve resistance

Usage:
To use this ability, a spirit will need to walk over to a bender and be within 2 blocks from them. Once they are within the two block radius of a bender, a spirit will look directly at a bender and hold shift. Once a spirit toggles shift while looking at a bender, the targeted bender will recieve a chat notification as shown below:

To accept the connection, the targeted bender will have to shift click on the spirit. Once the targeted bender accepts the connection between them, the bender will recieve a less-op form of avatar state as expressed above. The connection between the two players will last for however long the spirit is holding shift. To cancel this connection between the two players, the Bender must be killed or the spirit will release shift. The bender does not control how long the spirit stays within their body, once the connection has been established between both players, it is up to the spirit to decide when it disconnects from the benders body. That makes each role, the spirits and the benders, unique for this ability. This also makes this move very dangerous.

If you have any comments or suggestions to make this move better, please let me know in the chat! I love constructive criticism!

Thanks for reading,
~Fuzzy
LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

Moonelight

Verified Member
Something similar to the Spirit Chat could be used for guiding users into the spirit world, off topic but I needed to throw that out there.

HydroMan

Verified Member
I worry about how this could be defended from. Seems like the benders have no defence.
Is there range limits? I think the spirit should have to channel uninterrupted at the bender before they would be able to possess them. None of this permission by the bender nonsense.
The guy who came with thus conceot that we are discussting, had mentioned (well, showef in the picture) that the target can only accept the possession with the spirit by left clicking, except that like the other guy suggested it better be with a command so it would be less accidental to accept it.