• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Denied Waterbending Ability- Steam Shroud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero

Verified Member
urning damage? No. Waterbenders can't control the temperature of their water. (or in this case steam) They can't make this steam extremely hot, hot enough to leave a burn on someone, and I doubt that the steam they produce is hot enough to burn someone.
Just to make sure you dont know the difference between steam and mist. Steam is around 212F because of the fact its boiling water turning into gas. It can cool down, but then its just normal water vapor.

Theres a difference between Water Vapor, Steam and Mist.

Hero

Verified Member
So that means Korra bended mist from the pipes? Just asking, I don't know any science over steam p:
Its possible. Mist is when warm water vapor meets cold air. Might be vise versa as well. It could also be steam but steam does cool off quickly so :\

HydroMan

Verified Member
Its possible. Mist is when warm water vapor meets cold air. Might be vise versa as well. It could also be steam but steam does cool off quickly so :\
I guess it steams, cuz I don't recall victims getting burns that got into contact with that gas thing.

FearlessPie121

Verified Member
I never said you did say anything about mud doing damage or effect, but in reality, what would mudbending actually do?
While water's form is different, this can be potentially used as some strategical (obviously). Spamming this wouldn't exactly be the best of options, since your opponents would eventually find you, but using it once to confuse your opponents is something to throw off their offense, and if freezing the steam were a thing, you could potentially even slow them down a bit. (Think about the addon for phasechange freezing wet people) Water shouldn't get 5 different moves that all manipulate water in different forms, some being defensive, some being offensive. Sure, water could use an extra move or two, but there should also be different forms of water available to waterbenders. I think steam would be a good addition for 1.9 (since particles wouldn't lag as much) It's strategic, can potentially turn the tide of a battle, but isn't too extreme also.
1.9 Maybe, but as of right now, steam does not fit the equation of waterbending presently..

FearlessPie121

Verified Member
I agree with @Hero Steam and Mist are different. If this was mist to use as a cover of particles, this would be great. But causing blindness when compacted particles is enough plus burning damage, I'm against that. Waterbenders can change temperature of water, yes, but can they change it to make it so it'll make gas heated? That's airbending/firebending. The only thing I think water can do is make the mist not change the temperature of the steam.

Venusaur0817

Verified Member
If it is as a status effect you are meaning too say, then I'm all against this. Steam shouldn't make you blind. Making particles covering all the spaces, hidingsomeone or something, then I'm all up for that. If adding blindness stasus effect, that is a huge no for me.
the blindness wouldn't last long, and it would make sense.

HydroMan

Verified Member
the blindness wouldn't last long, and it would make sense.
Sure it "would". How about we add a feature to steam that makes all players invisible (status effect) when they get contact with it?

Just for you to know, I'm being sarcastic right now.

Unless you can prove me wrong, why steam should literally make you blind?

SuperBower118

Verified Member
Sure it "would". How about we add a feature to steam that makes all players invisible (status effect) when they get contact with it?

I think because you can't see through it- though I imagine this to be added (if it were to be added) in 1.9, with the lovely particle update.

Venusaur0817

Verified Member

Yeah, I'm not an idiot, I can detect sarcasm. I think you should be less condescending. And there is nothing wrong with 5 seconds of blindness.

Fog is tough to see through, and this would basically be fog.

FearlessPie121

Verified Member
Yeah, I'm not an idiot, I can detect sarcasm. I think you should be less condescending. And there is nothing wrong with 5 seconds of blindness.

Fog is tough to see through, and this would basically be fog.
There are particles currently in 1.8 that is worse than blindness. It usually causes lag, so there's no need to give blindness. The particle is called large/huge explode or explosion. Just go to minecraft and type /particle and press tab, once you see the explosion particle listed, that's the one I'm talking about.

SuperBower118

Verified Member
There are particles currently in 1.8 that is worse than blindness. It usually causes lag, so there's no need to give blindness. The particle is called large/huge explode or explosion. Just go to minecraft and type /particle and press tab, once you see the explosion particle listed, that's the one I'm talking about.
The problem is the lag shouldn't be given, which is why I think the blindness effect was included in this suggestion. That's also another reason why Steambending should actually be added in 1.9. Since particles aren't entities in 1.9, the people in the steam or near it, won't lag.

SamuraiSnowman

Verified Member
I can't imagine a way for this to look good and for people not to have suffered from severe lag due to a move like this.. People complain about default airblast having too many particles - I can't imagine a shroud of steam not ruining the ability to fight for many players.

Status
Not open for further replies.