• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Denied Waterbending Ability- Steam Shroud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taiko the Waterbender

Verified Member
The main problem I see with steambending is the particles- I think a large cloud of air particles could do, however in 1.8, particles lag some people considerably. I think the blindness effect would look strange, though that's just me.
In my opinion, the particles already provide a good cover. I think it is unfair to give blindness only to the foe, since the waterbender would also be inside the fog.

About the lag caused by the particles, I think by the time Steambending would be really discussed as a sub-element (since it isn't in the Official Sub-Element List), lag caused by particles wouldn't be such a problem as it is at the moment. By the time, we would be already in the 1.9 Minecraft Version, which nerfs a lot the particles lag.

FearlessPie121

Verified Member
Yeah, all this talk.. *blah*blah* I mean... who cares if waterbenders can bend steam. Earthbenders can bend mud, but do you see any mudbending being implemented into core. The real question is: "Is this really necessarily needed in water?"

SuperBower118

Verified Member
Yeah, all this talk.. *blah*blah* I mean... who cares if waterbenders can bend steam. Earthbenders can bend mud, but do you see any mudbending being implemented into core. The real question is: "Is this really necessarily needed in water?"
No offense, you but you need to chill it with the mud. The deal with mud is that... what is there that can be done, really, with mud? Blind people? You have sandbending for that. Mud honestly doesn't have much going for it. At least with steambending, there's a general concept of what can be done with it, and it'd seem fine if it was added with the 1.9 update. There's also more options with what you could do with steam, compared with Mud, which really, you can only launch it. Okay, so what's this mud going to do? Small damage, blindness?

Overall, the idea of adding steambending would be more beneficial to waterbending as a whole compared to adding Mudbending to Earth (and I guess water?).

FearlessPie121

Verified Member
No offense, you but you need to chill it with the mud. The deal with mud is that... what is there that can be done, really, with mud? Blind people? You have sandbending for that. Mud honestly doesn't have much going for it. At least with steambending, there's a general concept of what can be done with it, and it'd seem fine if it was added with the 1.9 update. There's also more options with what you could do with steam, compared with Mud, which really, you can only launch it. Okay, so what's this mud going to do? Small damage, blindness?

Overall, the idea of adding steambending would be more beneficial to waterbending as a whole compared to adding Mudbending to Earth (and I guess water?).
"Chill it with mud"
It's a comparison, just because it was one of my suggestions, doesn't mean I can't reference it with another thread.
I never said anything about mud doing any damage or any effect. I just compared mud to earth like steam to water.
Water, honestly doesn't need this because water's form is different. All I'm saying is, the sake of gameplay over-tops
the sake of canon.

Hero

Verified Member
"Chill it with mud"
It's a comparison, just because it was one of my suggestions, doesn't mean I can't reference it with another thread.
I never said anything about mud doing any damage or any effect. I just compared mud to earth like steam to water.
Water, honestly doesn't need this because water's form is different. All I'm saying is, the sake of gameplay over-tops
the sake of canon.
I would like to point out that there is a move called MudSurge....

SuperBower118

Verified Member
"Chill it with mud"
the sake of canon.
I never said you did say anything about mud doing damage or effect, but in reality, what would mudbending actually do?
While water's form is different, this can be potentially used as some strategical (obviously). Spamming this wouldn't exactly be the best of options, since your opponents would eventually find you, but using it once to confuse your opponents is something to throw off their offense, and if freezing the steam were a thing, you could potentially even slow them down a bit. (Think about the addon for phasechange freezing wet people) Water shouldn't get 5 different moves that all manipulate water in different forms, some being defensive, some being offensive. Sure, water could use an extra move or two, but there should also be different forms of water available to waterbenders. I think steam would be a good addition for 1.9 (since particles wouldn't lag as much) It's strategic, can potentially turn the tide of a battle, but isn't too extreme also.

Hero

Verified Member
Burning damage? No. Waterbenders can't control the temperature of their water. (or in this case steam) They can't make this steam extremely hot, hot enough to leave a burn on someone, and I doubt that the steam they produce is hot enough to burn someone.
Do you know what steam is?
Theres a difference between steam and mist.

HydroMan

Verified Member
Water needs to have atleast 1 steambending move, that allows you:
using it <...> to confuse your opponents is something to throw off their offense, and if freezing the steam were a thing, you could potentially even slow them down a bit.
And if someone argues that this shouldn't be implanted, due to no steam existing in-game, then try comparing it to airbending and sandspout(unless it uses sand's particles).

HydroMan

Verified Member
I could take some clips from the show and edit them, combining them in one montage of steambending scenes, so that it could bring some ideas and get the understanding on how&what SB is actuallu all about.

HydroMan

Verified Member
Do you know what steam is?
Theres a difference between steam and mist.
Still, it doesn't burn
And the other time Korra bended steam for the diversion and to give Mako cover while he was on attemtp to save Biolin from its bending being removed by Amon. Everyone on the set/stage weren't burning, they only got distracted and hidden by the steam.

djmyernos

Verified Member
I think that waterbenders can control the temperature of the water, mainly since they can freeze it. What happens to water when it turns into ice? It gets really cold. However, I think the "steam" used in the show is more of a mist or fog, not so much steam. Because of that, I'm against steambending causing burn damage, because there's a difference between mist/fog and steam, and I think that, in the show, it's mist/fog.

djmyernos

Verified Member
But they can't, by the fact they never did boil or cool down (not to the freezing point) by the criterias they had to face.
I'm not saying that they could make water cold or hot at a whim. I'm saying that they indirectly control the temperature of the water by changing it's form. When they change it to ice, the ice is cold, because of the nature of ice. I think it would be the same with water vapor. Perhaps waterbenders can choose whether to change liquid water to steam or to mist/fog?

HydroMan

Verified Member
I'm not saying that they could make water cold or hot at a whim. I'm saying that they indirectly control the temperature of the water by changing it's form. When they change it to ice, the ice is cold, because of the nature of ice. I think it would be the same with water vapor. Perhaps waterbenders can choose whether to change liquid water to steam or to mist/fog?
They don't. Unless, they can just right shift the tempature to the mist/ice point skipping the tempature in between A and B spots, that the boiling/cooling process is unseen.

HydroMan

Verified Member
But the logicial theory I would say they just magically transform the state of the element, or the molecural structure or smth that doesn't include in changing the actual temperarute.

Hero

Verified Member
But the logicial theory I would say they just magically transform the state of the element, or the molecural structure or smth that doesn't include in changing the actual temperarute.
If thats the case, then that isnt steam. Its mist.

Status
Not open for further replies.