• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

The [New] ProjectKorra Server Discussion Thread!

Mist

Staff member
Administrator
Hello everyone! Over the next couple of weeks, I'm going to take some time to dive into the mechanics of the server and am looking forward to talking to several of you that have messaged me lately regarding the server. Instead of doing a large "PK Survey" now, I'm going to break it up into much smaller, manageable pieces. That said -- I want to start a conversation on the ProjectKorra Server. Here's the information I'm looking for:

1. What do you think is working?
2. What do you think is not working?
3. What are your general thoughts on the server -- positive or negative?
4. How would you suggest improving it?

Please remember to be nice and courteous to other members of the community -- this is an open discussion and I look forward to reading everyone's ideas.

Thank you :)

P.S. Read about The Four Nations -- our latest server project here: https://projectkorra.com/forum/threads/four-nations-announcement.11069/

There's some exciting stuff in the pipeline, but I want to make sure we hear from you first!

D

Deleted member 15028

I would like to see more roleplay.
There can be storywritter ranks that write roleplay events etc

D

Deleted member 15028

I would like to see more roleplay.
There can be storywritter ranks that write roleplay events etc
There is also a timeline software called time Graphics. You can add events there so new players can see all events / wars

_L0ki

I'd like to see more active staff to help deal with some of the toxicity that can arrive when a lot of people are online. A better arena experience and hub with more information (Kill board is useless). Spawn is broken. Overall i would like more stuff to do overall, survival can get stale, so perhaps a creative world or unique bending mini games? Overall i find the server stale with not a lot to do but i see the potential so id like to stick around and help in anyways i can, how ever little that my be.

AndDrew

- Hire more active staff.
- Hire more builders. ;)
- Find a way to reset the arenas.
- Remove the custom warps plugin and just use the one already in essentials.
- Remove the resource world and just have the resources be in the avatar world.
- Remove factions and implement towny instead.

These are the changes I feel would make the server better. I’ll add more if I come up with anything else.

_L0ki

- Hire more active staff.
- Hire more builders. ;)
- Find a way to reset the arenas.
- Remove the custom warps plugin and just use the one already in essentials.
- Remove the resource world and just have the resources be in the avatar world.
- Remove factions and implement towny instead.

These are the changes I feel would make the server better. I’ll add more if I come up with anything else.
I agree with everything but getting rid of the resource world. I feel its important to keep building options open and to help tone down any terrain griefing that may occur.

xNuminousx

What I have to say is based on my very limited experience playing on the server.

For starters I'd say that the server was very underwhelming, but that's sort of to be expected. People using the forums likely already either have a server of their own or are here for updates for a server they play on. ProjectKorra isn't really a place to go to when looking for a server. However, ProjectKorra has a strong creative community. People who connect here like to either release creations for people to enjoy or they'll come here to look at the creations. Because of this, I figured the server would be more dedicated to the creative community. Maybe there'd be addons on the Pk server that players are able to freely toy with and stuff like that since other servers have a lot of addons up for sale. For example, if there were to be another development competition, maybe the submissions could be viewed and used on the server. The direction I saw for the server was more based towards development and creativity rather than what it is now. Due to this, I'll get into what I think could happen with the current server setup.

So I mentioned earlier that the server felt underwhelming. This was because you had everything that every other ProjectKorra server had, only it seemed underdeveloped. This is the case with all new servers so this is no bash directed towards the server developers. All of the other servers have had years of experience to develop the "perfect" server and ProjectKorra had only just started. Maybe the goal was to have a basic, simplistic server but I don't think that concept will conjure up players.

For the arena, it has no addon abilities or nothing special. Other servers make their own addons or use public ones (like JedCore). This puts ProjectKorra server at a disadvantage because it's sort of like it has all of the things other servers have, but less of it. So when a players goes to play on the ProjectKorra server it's less exciting. I recommend to have your development team create some unique abilities that will only be available on the ProjectKorra server. Maybe there are some old concepts that were interesting but inevitably trashed since it didn't fit with the plugin. Maybe having abilities that other servers cannot get will increase interest in your server and if they're good enough, they could spice up combat in the arena which would attract more combat-based players. Additionally, try to spice up the configuration that the server uses. I've tried fighting players a few times and each time it felt really repetitive compared to the servers I frequent on. This is probably because of the lack of abilities which I mentioned before, but the configuration also plays a role in this.

Now, I'm not a survival kind of player. I prefer the more exciting things about a server (like the arena) and also a creative world. But what I could gather, the survival world was underwhelming as well. Since I'm hardly ever playing the survival game mode on other servers and hadn't on the ProjectKorra one, I'll have less to say here. But, I suggest adding initiative for players. Players need goals to achieve and things on their to do list that aren't related to the default Minecraft story line (mine blocks, build a house, kill zombies, defeat the enderdragon, prosper). The Four Nations project would be an excellent chance to give players goals. Creates heads of the nations (FireLord, EarthKing, WaterChief) and give the citizens of those nations taxes and stuff that require them to do work. Have them create shops and farms to sustain the economy. Allow players to create their own avatar story on your server. Do it better than anyone else and you've got a functioning server.

If there's anything to take away from what I have said here, it's give the players more. Make your server unique by giving players something they can't get anywhere else. Whether you appeal to the creative players, the combat players, or the survivalists out there. If you want more players you can't really do what every other server is doing.

I agree with everything but getting rid of the resource world. I feel its important to keep building options open and to help tone down any terrain griefing that may occur.
I kinda think the two (survival and resource) could be merged. Claim areas wouldn't and shouldn't reset for obvious reasons.

As far the concern of addons, hey at least have a WORLD where they are disabled. Maybe like Num suggested, a particular arena dedicated that has them unable. The Advantage of this testing server is that it is easier to find and understand how the plugin functions alone without fan-made/custom stuff interfering. While this isn't beneficial to the server, it would at least help out for people to come with a fair feature idea that doesn't involve addons If they ever decide to post it on the forums or discuss it on the Minecraft chat itself. Some even don't know what is an addon and what isn't, so this would clear up the confusion without educating ", but this ability isn't affliated with PK ; contact the creator of this addon instead".

I do think the server could stand out by being more unique. And not the typical bending server that is out there (while those do attract players, but where is the fun of visiting a cliche one). This is kinda relevant to the announcement of The Four Nations teaser, because as far I have seen this isn't the only server that recreated a TLOK/ATLA map. Not trying to ruin but parade, but I thought it should be pointed out for awareness.

Also, some more feedback that should not be forgotten (not just from me): https://projectkorra.com/forum/threads/day-1-we-want-to-hear-from-you.7388/

Also, considering this is a official server for testing (of) the plugin, perhaps keep the default config... that is If only tweaks are being made about what defaults should be changed overtime throught out the build's of the plugin updates. If variable changes happen, then it would help greatly If the plugin switches to default for better way to optimizing the stuff in the file that ruins the experience of the bending gameplay. If they don't, then (since there won't be much point in keeping the default one switched one If variables aren't being changed) at least maintain it so it gets the general consensus from people (in the server and in the forum) of what a balanced config of this particular plugin should be. Well, this is kind of an obvious recommendation.

Last edited:
I have not been on for a few days due to vacation, however, some things I would love to see impletemented in the future are the following;
  • Hiring more staff, that are active ingame (In the "Join the team" section, I would recommend that you update the website to present.)
  • Create more builds, that allow for further exploration
  • Having quests, missions and such would be amazing
  • /sell or something along the lines of that to create money, would be much appreciated as well
  • In the arena, possibly create a practice arena with interactive NPCs for players to test bending based attacks
This is just a short summary based on my personal opinions. Really appreciate the work PK puts in, and can't wait to see future updates.

we have very few players on the server and we must advertise , and we must introduce us and prepare a map of the avatar world. players will want to explore maps and feel themselves in the film.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
I preach for factions to be replaced by Towny. Here's why.

We hear a lot of players talking about toxicity, negative attitude. etc. This is obviously a problem and should be prevented. I believe Factions is part of this problem.

Factions is a plugin that revolves around becoming the strongest and fighting others. This sounds fun, as it keeps players busy. However, in reality it promotes building an obsidian underground base and griefing and raiding other players, which honestly brings nothing good to the server. People like to use the excuse "That's part of the game", but no, it's not. (https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Griefing if you can't click it)

This gamepedia page gives (IMO) a perfect overview of what griefing is and why we should try to avoid it. Here is why Towny helps with that:

In Towny, the game doesn't revolve around being the strongest. You can certainly try to become the biggest, but it doesn't mean you suffer consequences if you don't choose that path. In Towny, the game revolves around building your town with whoever you want to in whatever way you like.

Taken from here.

• Allows players to own and manage land based on a pre-set grid layout.
    • Players join towns and purchase plots of land.
    • Players decide who can build, destroy, use “switchs” and use items on every plot they control.
    • Towns can join together into nations, further structuring a server into teams.
    • Towns grant protection from monsters, pvp, fire, explosions and greifing.
  • Wilderness Rules (Optional)
    • Area between towns is wilderness, with its own build permissions.
    • Limit players’ interaction with the wild to just harvest-able blocks, keeping the wild pristine.
    • Roll-back tnt, creeper, wither explosions, dragon damage and endermen block-moving.
    • Block explosions and fire.
  • PVP Enhancements
    • Server with a strong PVP aspect will find Towny’s grouping of players to be invaluable.
    • Prevent friendly-fire. (Optional)
    • Nations split players into larger teams.
    • Nations can declare other nations to be allies or enemies, further splitting players into even larger teams.
    • PVP can be turned on/off in wilderness, towns and worlds. (Optional)
  • Towny War!
    • War pits nation against nation.
    • Fight for money and optionally land.
    • Collect Prisoners of War, break POWs out of Jails.
    • Highly-customizable options for what can and cannot be destroyed and built during war.
    • Explosions can be safely used in towns and revert automatically.
  • Teleporting/Warping and Spawning (Optional)
    • Players can spawn to their town upon death.
    • Players can spawn to their town or a town that is within their nation/allied with their nation.
    • Use of beds can be limited to personally-owned land and players can spawn there.
  • Customized modified chat. (Optional)
    • Colours, group prefixes and suffixes, nation, town, towny titles.
    • Channels for general, local, town, nation, moderator, admin and custom channels.
    • Anti-spam feature.
  • Shop plugin support. (Optional)
    • Limit shops to special Shop Plots, enhancing realism.
  • Economy plugin interaction. (Optional)
    • Supports all economy plugins.
    • Charge money for plots, towns, nations.
    • Flexible tax system.
    • Upkeep to remove money from the economy, stopping rampant inflation.
  • All Permissions Plugins supported. (Optional)
    • Perms 2/3, GroupManager, BukkitPermissions, bPermissions, PermissionsEx, etc.
  • Multiworld Support
    • Flexible settings for every world.
    • Enable/disable Towny in as many worlds as you like.

I think this is a great aspect for the PK server. Others have said they would like to see role playing introduced more. That could tie in very well with Towny, since it's not just about fighting others, but about building a proper town. Someone could, for example, start a town named "Omashu" in a desert, etc.

Now to argue against the saying "But we want some form of competition! We want to fight eachother!"; Towny Wars

The following screenshot was taken from this website.

A nation is a group of towns, basicly like a country. However, unlike a real country, those towns don't have to be near eachother. They can be spread out, with other nation's towns in between. A nation provides it's towns with extra chunks to claim, in exchange for (optionally) a tax.

As you can see, in Towny wars, nations fight eachother (with some editing this can be changed to individual towns). However, if a town/nation is peaceful, it ends there. There will be no war. This might sound like a bit of a letdown, but this does keep out innocent people who just want to build.

The following point states it is not required to get your land griefed and raided. This might get more players to join in on a war, since now it's mostly for fighting and not risking your entire city.

Towny also has a jail feature. Under certain conditions, you can imprison someone in your town's jail. During a war, a prisoner can be freed.

The fourth point states what can and cannot be destroyed during a war. This can be tied in with bending to only allow bending to destroy things for example, and thus it will revert.

As final point, firebender's explosions can be used safely. They'll revert after the war.

Then finally, the last group of people to please are the hardcore factions fans. I believe we cannot please those people with this plugin, and we should not. From my personal experiences (more than 7 years of playing minecraft on both factions and towny), those hardcore faction players are usually the one causing aggression and drama, something that we do not want. Thus I believe it is not a problem if they do not like this new system.

TL;DR: Install towny, everyone happy except aggressive toxic kids.

Da Psic

I like factions as it is, kinda fits the server, its been like that forever, but one thing the show teaches is change can be good.
Its always fun to tp to people, wait for them to hit u and then brutally murder them and run around their base with their items for 10 minutes till u decide to give them back.

Also in no way I believe the server staff team has time to manage a town world lul, they barely play or do stuff in the server, things are always broken somewhere, towny tends to break even more stuff, speaking from experience.

Hiring more staff is usually useless if their unproductive and causes unnecessary mutes and bans that someone high up will have to verify every single time.

I'll just put some bullet points for now
Take it as you will.
  • Arenas should be improved severely.
  • Arenas are griefed far too often and far too easily
  • Make teleportations more quick. At least for the Arena. Ten seconds is a long time compared to the generic three seconds that most servers have, or even better, zero seconds. It's a hassle to teleport to warps such as the arena because of the ten second warmup. who seriously thought 10 seconds a good idea
  • Perhaps add tournaments to give players an incentive to actually get better at bending
  • Create new, fresh moves and features for all elements since there is no JedCore. This doesn't mean that every update every element gets something new. Just don't have the attention be lopsided.
    • The PK server could act as a public testing server for these new features. If they're well-received, add them in to the plugin
  • Perhaps simple minigames such as parkour or spleef (just a thought)...
  • ...Or incorporate bending. Make things such as LightningVolley an actual minigame on the server, EarthSmashToss (Hot potato?), etc.
  • Whether it be Towny, Factions, Kingdoms, etc., make some incentive to play the survival. And make sure that these groups of players can interact with each other; essentially by this I mean, don't make it so that a person just puts down a flag and then the land is untouchable for eternity- that just turns sour quick and is a waste of a world.

Also, minor request: lift up the maximum number of binds that can be saved up to five. I tend to switch elements to every element so often, so it's a hassle having to often bind everything from 1 to 9 slots with 9 times typing the command. Why thereiss even a maximum number,