• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

The Future of Project Korra

Status
Not open for further replies.

gangksta

Verified Member
I'll attempt to reveal the recent shitstorm complete.

Whether PK staff recognizes it or not, PK has been heavily criticized ever since 1.7.0+ betas. Ignoring worthless comments shortens the scale of comments that bring opportunity down to about half, and you probably recognize that too. However, recently the criticism has become a lot more critical, simply due to the actions and attitudes of some specific members of PK's staff.

Connections between original communities and PK's have been complicated ever since it's existence. Project Korra has served the bending plugin itself brilliantly, and has brought a larger scene with it. The simple forums and the actual conversation with it's developers proved choice value, as the scene is not only kept alive but is witnessing growth.

After nearly four years.

Communication between original communities and PK, however, have generally been stagnant, and disregarded. This is due to faults on both sides. Beginning with the critics; Inflammatory and superficial comments don't work. Ever, really. The pent up frustration from the "competitive" bending scene has been showered with anger, and hostility. Understandably, I would personally agree that some decisions that PK has implemented and maintained are very poor.
  1. Firstly, Orion struck a deal with logic with the simplicity of his system. Project Korra implemented that properly too, in some ways: the growth of community add-ons is absolutely incredible, and what I would say represents PK's greatest feature. However, for the plugin as a whole, the diversity of moves that come with the default package are a bit confusing. One of my largest problems with PK is that it allows more than 9 moves. Representing the oldest community (TLA), I can state with certainty that having to alter your play-style due to another person running a different load-out than yours depraves the flow that bending combat once had. The combos that PK brought were absolutely incredible, and I'm sad to see the lack of implementation by that method. The add-ons are absolutely fine, but if this plugin wanted to refine itself completely, there would have to be a maximum of 9 moves to allow not only equal opportunity in any situation but to also negate room for error (balancing), and any other unfair play-styles.
  2. Secondly, communication and coordination between PK and it's entire community has been shallow. This well constructed website provides perfect means of solving any problems representing the officiality of PK. I don't really understand why that's such a hard case to prove. Means to balance have been cut short; From what many of the critics have seen, as well as myself, PK is essentially set in stone and we're open to comment on it. The fact of the matter is, attitudes such as http://projectkorra.com/forum/threads/lightning-isnt-working.3150/#post-42691 distill any honest connection between PK and it's community. As representatives of the PK community whole, I would honestly expect it's staff to operate as if it were a profession. The second you enter the website you're greeted with professionalism; why shouldn't the staff be held by those same standards? This problem was illustrated almost flawlessly by a recent complication between developer Finn_Bueno_ and members of several different servers (this was an original complaint that was sent to Mist);
    1. "Hello Mist.

Recently, some players from my server posted on the forums about a change in
      watermanipulation. It would be an understatement to say that things got a little out of hand. I know
      that you're extremely busy with your life, and all of that, but I think what happened went way too
      far and you should be alerted that your staff are doing this sort of stuff.
      After the thing with watermanipulation, a player from my server messaged Finn_Bueno_ and
      asked for them to code the old version of lightning. He did this, and Finn sent the lightning to me.
      Right before I added it on my server, I was alerted by a player who worked with Finn to not install
      it. I asked why, and he explained that Finn did not actually code lightning, but made an addon to
      "destroy" my server. So, I decompiled the code and found that it was indeed true. After Finn sent
      me the jar, a bunch of pk staff (and players from their servers) logged on so they could use it
      when I added lightning.

In the "addon" he made it so it would deop and then ban me, while opping a bunch of other
      people. He also made it so the wither and enderdragon would spawn. His intent was very
      obviously malicious. (I will put the code of lightning.class below)
      I'm messaging you this because I feel like you're the only one with the power to do anything. And
      although some of my servers members may have been slightly rude at times on the forums, we
      have done absolutely nothing to deserve this. Not to mention as a server owner myself, I make
      sure my staff are mature. Trying to destroy a server through code is definitely not mature, and I'm
      sure you wouldn't want them doing that. It's just awful behavior and sad to see 3 PK staff be in on
      this together, as well as making members from their server help them. Having a person do this is
      one thing, but PK staff is just another. I'm sure you agree that staff in any situation must be
      mature, and never resort to completely sabotaging something because of anger or
      miscommunication.

Links to proof:
      The PK staff online: http://prntscr.com/7r063h
      Finn sending the jar: http://prntscr.com/7rp73j, http://prntscr.com/7rp6y8, http://prntscr.com/7r05kk
      Lightning.class: http://pastebin.com/uQaJwnQs
      Screenshot of decompiled jar: http://prntscr.com/7r04y5
      Finn persisting that I install the addon: http://prntscr.com/7r034z
      This screenshot is the player (who I won't name) informing me about what Finn was going to do: http://prntscr.com/7rpddp

I'd really appreciate it, if at the very least you'd take a few minutes out of your busy schedule to
      talk to them. I ask this because it isn't just because they targetted my server, but I would be
      horrified if the staff on my server even thought about doing anything similar. Finn was (debatably)
      abusing the trust he gets as a developer for PK to try to get me to install the addon.
      Thank you for your time." - Anonymous Server Owner

2. The lack of professionalism is also cited in a certain player attempting to get this "add-on" to work. http://projectkorra.com/forum/threads/lightning-isnt-working.3150/ Rather than represent moral integrity, the two developers Finn_Bueno and AlexTheCoder decided that laughing at a users own server blow up in their face was more of a priority, after flaunting their "get out of jail free" pass. Absolutely NO respect or human decency for community members is absolutely reprehensible. Alex argued that it was Axes' fault in the matter. That's pretty sick. By abusing his trust as a PK official developer, you're essentially saying that you have the freedom to commit any crime as long as it doesn't effect the officiality of PK itself. You made that exceedingly clear; "Unless its officially PK, we technically don't have any rule to provide clean code". Is this really the type of behavior that PK insists on representing? Banning every player, while advertising their personal servers, after exploiting YOUR communities trust? The apathetic people on that of the argument side are staining this communities clean slate.

To conclude, I am not trying to exaggerate mistakes made in PK's beta stages,or make an ass of myself by insulting any staff members who's willingly spending his free time considering my request. I am not here to immediately dismiss a community member because I'm too insecure to ignore the names they call me, or because I only adhere to certain metas. I'm absolutely not here to attempt to split this community any farther - as far as I'm concerned, this is all we have. I'm here to try to establish the faults that hold PK's potential back, and state what initiatives need to be taken in order for this community to thrive.

I welcome and encourage critiques.

EDIT: I also thought it would be appropriate to share Finn's jar with you guys.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Ny153zAINaR0RnQTEweXJ0ZzQ/view?usp=sharing
The advertising message is pretty clever.

Last edited:

Tidal_Force

Verified Member
This is the organized post that we've all wanted, voicing many community members thoughts and opinions in a way that provides clarity and prevents the assumption of "hate". Thank you for taking the time to write this.

Comet1551

Verified Member
This is a well-written thread, and like Tidal_Force, I thank you for taking time out to write this rather extensive, and detailed explanation on the causes of this debate.

Chkirby

Verified Member
I could not agree more with what Gangksta and Tidal_Force have said. This is what the players in recent matters have been trying to voice over but have been confused with hostility in the dilemma that has occurred as Gangksta pointed out. We had good intentions to begin with and are trying to give suggestions too make this project great and not head down what we believe is the wrong path. This post is very clear and states everything in a way players can understand easily without being shot down. Thank you Gangksta for taking the time to write this post, I hope this clears up recent confusion.
chkirby12r4

Heika

Verified Member
DAAAAAANG THATS SOME COLD HEARTED STUFF RIGHT THERE LOOK YOU STRAIGHT IN THE EYE AND TELL YOU IT'S A GOOD JAR JEEEEEEEESUS SON I'D BE SO ANGRY OH MAH GAHD HOW ARE YOU KEEPING CALM.

LeafHD_

Verified Member
DAAAAAANG THATS SOME COLD HEARTED STUFF RIGHT THERE LOOK YOU STRAIGHT IN THE EYE AND TELL YOU IT'S A GOOD JAR JEEEEEEEESUS SON I'D BE SO ANGRY OH MAH GAHD HOW ARE YOU KEEPING CALM.
Everything was calm and contented until you came annoyingly trolling around.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
I saw some parts of it now, and I did it from a personal perspective, the ProjectKorra team stays out of this in any possible way.

Chkirby

Verified Member
I saw some parts of it now, and I did it from a personal perspective, the ProjectKorra team stays out of this in any possible way.
Are you not part of the Project Korea team? Also, taking the time to reply means you have the time to read, I HIGHLY suggest you read ALL of it.

Chkirby

Verified Member
Btw @Chkirby, Mist has made it clear that whatever happens outside of the Project Korra fourms, like server stuff, has nothing to do with them.
Correct, but the Project Korra staff, like Gangksta said should maintain their image everywhere not just within things that become offical. They have also shown on the forums to not be mature at all..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.