• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Day 1: We want to hear from you!

Mist

Staff member
Administrator
Hello everyone, the server has been open for just over 8 hours now and we want to hear from you about what went well and things we can do better. We hope to do this every so often so that we can keep the server improving.

Here's what happened today:
We launched at noon and had some major performance issues. We found the issue to be tied to a bug in a recent WorldGuard update and resolved it as quickly as we isolated it out. Since then, we have seen increases in performance.

To answer a few questions:

Where is X move?
This server is running ProjectKorra (Core) as it is meant to be played. Addons are not supported by ProjectKorra and most are underdeveloped. Jedcore is not officially supported by Jed anymore and we will not be expanding the server to include an almost broken add-on, simply put.

How do I get the Momo/Iroh Amiibo?
http://store.projectkorra.com -- The Momo Amiibo is only available for 2 weeks, so order soon! (Also remember that everything in the store is 25% off this weekend)

Thank you all, let's get a good discussion going. What went well, what needs improvements, any suggestions?

xNuminousx

Unfortunately as I am not at home where I can check it out, I will be basing my observations on the video made by @tetrisd.

As you know, because I've already mentioned it (and I understand it is being worked on but I just wanna include it on this thread as well), the arena is looking a little under developed. I dont know if work on one has already started or not, but I would like to provide some of my personal opinions on what makes a "good arena."
So for starters, a Bending arena should be able to acclimate to all of all of the Bending arts. Such as:
  • Water - Water will need sources if bottles aren't provided. On land, plant sources are preferable (grass, flowers, trees, others?). But keep in mind it's possible to have too much vegetation. If the arena ends of being a sort of natural-earthy theme then it can be easy to have too much sources. I suggest making it to where a source is always close by, but also make the waterbenders utilize their resourcefulness. If a source is ALWAYS available, then the arena can quickly become over powered by waterbenders (by creating ice and being able to effortlessly deal damage).
  • Earth - Similar to water sources will need to be readily available to the benders. Of course there's gonna be dirt and stone in most areas of the arena, that's expected (if not a given). But also, have structures, platforms, or other obstacles that could cause a bit of issues for an earthbender. Not too much where they are easily bested, but enough to where they are challenged. For instance, if an earthbender isn't careful when catapulting they could accidentally land on a roof of a building and potentially kill or harm themselves. Also, I would suggest having underground "mines" of some sort, to appeal to the earthbenders that are going to mine to get iron for their metalbending abilities. You'll likely have iron ore already down there, but pockets within the Earth (like a mine shaft) could act as a sanctuary for earthbenders. Similarly to waterbenders who will have the upper hand in a lake, the earthbender will have an upper hand under ground or around a flat area. And speaking of flat areas, be sure there are some of those too. Earthbending is extremely difficult with a bunch of "lumps" in the ground that continuously block or mess up a lot of their moves. Without a flat space, earthbenders could parish; but with too many they could overwhelm the arena.
  • Fire - This element (and air) will be easy to adapt to just like air and Chi, which is why I put water and Earth first. For a Firebender to have a chance, regardless of skill, there will need to be obstacles; such as trees, houses, hills, boulders, or even hedges. This will give the arena character as well as offer any bender the chance to hide away and flee. As far as attacks go, a Firebender can thrive in open spaces similar to an earthbender.
  • Air - This element is probably the easiest to adapt to. You really don't need anything special for this element (that I happen to main in) because they are able to adapt to most, if not all, circumstances. As long as they have space, they'll be fine. If they're in an open, plains then they can AirBlast away or just simply run around. If they're in a forest they have AirBlast and airshield. Maybe offer them a few mountains so they can use their mobility as an advantage when escaping enemies.
  • Chi - This is the class of agility. Air may master in mobility but Chi masters in abilities such as acrobatics. Chi is almost certain to perish (and be unused by players) if there's too much open space. A chi blockers will take advantage of the shadows, stalk their prey, use the trunks of trees as obstacles to dodge their enemies, and use a house or cave and quickly turn it into a murderous death trap. So as you can tell, if you give the arena TOO much space then chi may not ever come out. But give them too much and they'll dominate. Offer some caves that can hide them away or some secret escape hatches in a building somewhere. If you make a forest I suggest adding some hills in it rather than keeping it mostly flat. I typically see chi thrive where there's a more mountainous, hill-y area. They can use it to their advantage.
Keep in mind, these are just my personal opinions. Feel free to conjure your own in your reply.
Next, an arena should be appealing. I typically enjoy an ancient theme when it comes to Bending arenas. For one, it's easier to include nature (AKA the 4 elements) into your build because they frequently weren't too overwhelming like New York City or a Spanish Villa. Some interesting medieval architecture would be awesome in my opinion. Add a couple structures, you could place signs that make it feel like an RPG map, have some flying balloons of some sort (possible Fire Navy War Balloon?????). This is the kind of architecture I enjoy but everyone's different. It'll be easier to design an arena fit for the 4 elements that way.
I think I've said enough about the arena. If you want more ideas out of me you or anyone can PM me but otherwise I'll leave the rest up to everyone's creative freedom.
*PS if it's already started work then I've just wasted 30 minutes of my life*

I dont know if it was pure sarcasm or if tet was over exaggerating his confusing in that video, but it didn't seem like there was enough information around. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't physically joined yet, but there should be a sufficient amount of tutorials lying around to help any confused players. Tutorials for things like:
  • How to get around the various maps on the server.
  • How to use certain complicated plugins and different ways to find out more information (like a link to the plugin page?).
  • What Project Korra exactly is and how they could obtain it for their server.
  • Information about the staff, how to contact them if needed, and what the responsibilities of each role (Mod/Admin) are.
  • A Bending tutorial displaying how to properly use the plugin and possibly a basic ability tutorial where you teach the newbie how to advance their Bending skills.
Next of my suggestions is the survival map. I didn't see one (EDIT: By this I mean a sock which I'm about to suggest) in the video, but it'd be awesome and useful to have. From looking at the map, it looks GINORMOUS! Offer a way for benders to travel from certain places (For example: They stumble upon a boat dock at a small village which has a bout that can take them to the closest big cities like Crescent Island or Republic City). And to be fair I'm not 100% sure if this is an Avatar map but tet mentioned it was so I dont know??? If it's not an Avatar map than this one is irrelevant.

That's all I'm gonna do for now. I've probably just wasted an hour of my life because these already exist but I'm trying to help with the information I have, which is very limited. I wish you all the best with the server and can't wait to join it physically!

Last edited:

xNuminousx

If you try to click the link in shoutbox of my last reply it'll say error cause I made a mistake so I'm posting this to offer a WORKING link in the shoutbox lol. If you've clicked that link, then scroll up to see my real post.

Pride

Unfortunately as I am not at home where I can check it out, I will be basing my observations on the video made by @tetrisd.

As you know, because I've already mentioned it (and I understand it is being worked on but I just wanna include it on this thread as well), the arena is looking a little under developed. I dont know if work on one has already started or not, but I would like to provide some of my personal opinions on what makes a "good arena."
So for starters, a Bending arena should be able to acclimate to all of all of the Bending arts. Such as:
  • Water - Water will need sources if bottles aren't provided. On land, plant sources are preferable (grass, flowers, trees, others?). But keep in mind it's possible to have too much vegetation. If the arena ends of being a sort of natural-earthy theme then it can be easy to have too much sources. I suggest making it to where a source is always close by, but also make the waterbenders utilize their resourcefulness. If a source is ALWAYS available, then the arena can quickly become over powered by waterbenders (by creating ice and being able to effortlessly deal damage).
  • Earth - Similar to water sources will need to be readily available to the benders. Of course there's gonna be dirt and stone in most areas of the arena, that's expected (if not a given). But also, have structures, platforms, or other obstacles that could cause a bit of issues for an earthbender. Not too much where they are easily bested, but enough to where they are challenged. For instance, if an earthbender isn't careful when catapulting they could accidentally land on a roof of a building and potentially kill or harm themselves. Also, I would suggest having underground "mines" of some sort, to appeal to the earthbenders that are going to mine to get iron for their metalbending abilities. You'll likely have iron ore already down there, but pockets within the Earth (like a mine shaft) could act as a sanctuary for earthbenders. Similarly to waterbenders who will have the upper hand in a lake, the earthbender will have an upper hand under ground or around a flat area. And speaking of flat areas, be sure there are some of those too. Earthbending is extremely difficult with a bunch of "lumps" in the ground that continuously block or mess up a lot of their moves. Without a flat space, earthbenders could parish; but with too many they could overwhelm the arena.
  • Fire - This element (and air) will be easy to adapt to just like air and Chi, which is why I put water and Earth first. For a Firebender to have a chance, regardless of skill, there will need to be obstacles; such as trees, houses, hills, boulders, or even hedges. This will give the arena character as well as offer any bender the chance to hide away and flee. As far as attacks go, a Firebender can thrive in open spaces similar to an earthbender.
  • Air - This element is probably the easiest to adapt to. You really don't need anything special for this element (that I happen to main in) because they are able to adapt to most, if not all, circumstances. As long as they have space, they'll be fine. If they're in an open, plains then they can AirBlast away or just simply run around. If they're in a forest they have AirBlast and airshield. Maybe offer them a few mountains so they can use their mobility as an advantage when escaping enemies.
  • Chi - This is the class of agility. Air may master in mobility but Chi masters in abilities such as acrobatics. Chi is almost certain to perish (and be unused by players) if there's too much open space. A chi blockers will take advantage of the shadows, stalk their prey, use the trunks of trees as obstacles to dodge their enemies, and use a house or cave and quickly turn it into a murderous death trap. So as you can tell, if you give the arena TOO much space then chi may not ever come out. But give them too much and they'll dominate. Offer some caves that can hide them away or some secret escape hatches in a building somewhere. If you make a forest I suggest adding some hills in it rather than keeping it mostly flat. I typically see chi thrive where there's a more mountainous, hill-y area. They can use it to their advantage.
Keep in mind, these are just my personal opinions. Feel free to conjure your own in your reply.
Next, an arena should be appealing. I typically enjoy an ancient theme when it comes to Bending arenas. For one, it's easier to include nature (AKA the 4 elements) into your build because they frequently weren't too overwhelming like New York City or a Spanish Villa. Some interesting medieval architecture would be awesome in my opinion. Add a couple structures, you could place signs that make it feel like an RPG map, have some flying balloons of some sort (possible Fire Navy War Balloon?????). This is the kind of architecture I enjoy but everyone's different. It'll be easier to design an arena fit for the 4 elements that way.
I think I've said enough about the arena. If you want more ideas out of me you or anyone can PM me but otherwise I'll leave the rest up to everyone's creative freedom.
*PS if it's already started work then I've just wasted 30 minutes of my life*

I dont know if it was pure sarcasm or if tet was over exaggerating his confusing in that video, but it didn't seem like there was enough information around. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't physically joined yet, but there should be a sufficient amount of tutorials lying around to help any confused players. Tutorials for things like:
  • How to get around the various maps on the server.
  • How to use certain complicated plugins and different ways to find out more information (like a link to the plugin page?).
  • What Project Korra exactly is and how they could obtain it for their server.
  • Information about the staff, how to contact them if needed, and what the responsibilities of each role (Mod/Admin) are.
  • A Bending tutorial displaying how to properly use the plugin and possibly a basic ability tutorial where you teach the newbie how to advance their Bending skills.
Next of my suggestions is the survival map. I didn't see one (EDIT: By this I mean a sock which I'm about to suggest) in the video, but it'd be awesome and useful to have. From looking at the map, it looks GINORMOUS! Offer a way for benders to travel from certain places (For example: They stumble upon a boat dock at a small village which has a bout that can take them to the closest big cities like Crescent Island or Republic City). And to be fair I'm not 100% sure if this is an Avatar map but tet mentioned it was so I dont know??? If it's not an Avatar map than this one is irrelevant.

That's all I'm gonna do for now. I've probably just wasted an hour of my life because these already exist but I'm trying to help with the information I have, which is very limited. I wish you all the best with the server and can't wait to join it physically!
Damn, did you just type all that on a phone? That's fucking amazing.

Liking it so far. Perhaps it includes practise/training arenas, with courses like:

- Obstacle/parkour course where it enhances air benders agility and speed (with air nomad structure style-alike of course)
-- Could also it includes "Airbending gates" (iron door maze that changes every so often through powered complex redstone contraption).
- Areas suitable to practice waterbending and earthbending respective, as well with metal and sand terrain/territory to exploit those barely attention focus sub-elements.
- Opposite for airbending, firebenders could get lots of dummies (dressed in armor stands) and big "dart barts" to practice aiming and offense and whatever.

paliate

I'm really impressed with what the team did.
I remember when I was staff and I was watching them build some of the stuff I see today, it's quite incredible and this build team deserves an award. I won't mention the lag because as you have mentioned that's been fixed.

There's a few things I've noticed that are odd about the config though.
-The charge time on Fireblast is insanely low and leads to a large amount of spam
-Chi seems to have very little damage output

Something I was disappointed to see was that there were very little plants for waterbenders in cote and the arena was insanely flat with no interesting additions to it. To have that be such an important arena with what looks to have very little effort put into it is upsetting and especially not what I was expecting. With that said you have released another arena since opening and it is much more detailed.

Not really a complaint, but holy crap the firebender helmets are huge.
When did this become Roblox? ;)

edit:
Also, this dynmap blew me away!
The survival world is far better than I was ever expecting.

xNuminousx

New Suggestion: If a player is a forum member then they have a choice to have their MC name or someone can give them the name of their forum name (with /nick)? For instance, I know Mesks MC name is something about slaying dragons so he would have the choice to be called Mesk (forum name) or dragon slayer. This could possibly lure people to the forums AND help forum members (who have known each other for a while) indicate who is who in the Minecraft world.

Personally my forum name and MC name are the same so wouldn't work on me lol; but that isn't the case with everyone.

AndDrew

I'm really impressed with what the team did.
I remember when I was staff and I was watching them build some of the stuff I see today, it's quite incredible and this build team deserves an award. I won't mention the lag because as you have mentioned that's been fixed.
Awh thanks. <3

Pharei

I was wondering if it would be possible to be able to bend inside other's claims. It defeats the purpose of bending in raids, kills, or battles as long as your in someone's territory. I just don't see you going to kill someone and them agreeing to step out of their territory so they don't have an advantage. You would only have vanillia Minecraft items in raids like this, and I really think that defeats the purpose of a Bending PvP server.

Aside of that - I love the server. The community seems quite nice and I love the arenas and the spawn. I feel like a lot of effort was put into it and it shows.

-The charge time on Fireblast is insanely low and leads to a large amount of spam
The problem is that increasing FireBlast's charge time will just have firebenders become overwhelmed. Fighting Water and Airbenders is an uphill battle for Fire because they can put out an insane amount of moves per second, blocking FireBlast and Combustion while also hitting Fire (Water), and just being incredibly hard to hit and having an easy-to-hit move with a low CD (Air). FireBurst is practically useless, and the same can be be said for lightning, so there really isn't any alternatives as for FireWheel itself is slow enough that it's decently easy to dodge. Fire isn't hopeless, but it doesn't have any other options besides spamming charged fireblast.

ViperMLG

I was wondering if it would be possible to be able to bend inside other's claims. It defeats the purpose of bending in raids, kills, or battles as long as your in someone's territory.
I have to agree with this, I'd prefer there to be a little more fighting in survival. It could be opt-in if you wanted people to be safe by default. Give some type of advantage for living dangerously with bending on and the risk of losing your claim or items maybe.

ViperMLG

Not really a complaint, but holy crap the firebender helmets are huge.
When did this become Roblox? ;)
Ugh I hate that fire helmet with a burning passion. The problem I had while making it was that it had to somehow fit over your big blocky head while being a circle. Ill have to do a redesign but at this point I think it's fine since it's not obtainable... Yet

Pharei

Ugh I hate that fire helmet with a burning passion. The problem I had while making it was that it had to somehow fit over your big blocky head while being a circle. Ill have to do a redesign but at this point I think it's fine since it's not obtainable... Yet
And EarthArmor gives you Water Tribe gear #triggered

All jokes aside, great job on the pack :D

What I love about this server:
- I know I said it on the discord, I wanna recap it here: PK really did a great job on limiting it to CORE stuff. Makes
testing fun those without jedcore interfaring or whatever and helps out clear future concept designing since again, no custom techniques interfare how the game is played by default. Also help me discover and be sure to confirm bugs: deadbush bendable again, fireshield blocks torrent.

I do have however to make a few complaints here and there. One of them that COTE arena looks abit unfinished, and I think I don't explain why. *brain memory fart*.... I forgot everything else ._. Anyway, I'll say when I fill this in later. Oh, a new one came into my mind: no way of (at least haven't discord yet of a method for) retreaving lost kit. In a battle on survival I believe I lost that land protection thingy haybale and a paper that probably did whatever. Oh and remember one of the forgotten ones: not sure by what ability I notice, but it's not by default config set up. I know this little small detail is nothing, but it lets us know how balance and what the default PK of the settings looks/acts/behaves like.

I'm overwhelmed by this server (in a positive way), so I pretty much what my complaints were. Though they're pretty minor, so despite what they're are I am still in love in this server. GJ and GW for all the team that worked on it. You got my interest on it :) <3

xNuminousx

COTE arena looks abit unfinished
Mist said that the arena is a WIP. That's why instead of saying it's bland I listed ways I thought a good arena could be made.

But I've heard that a new one is already in place so.... But I dont know what's happening because I can't go see the server.

One thing about COTE is that it has the stereotypical straight, deep, and big river system. It's not necessarily the best system around, and I think it'd show a lot of COTE could be less of the typical 4 element sections separated by the giant rivers and more of an arena that still has the elemental areas, just not as black-and-white.