• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Denied Bending fluidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Immallama

Verified Member
I've posted this elsewhere to some extent but I figure I'll make it a suggestion just to make it "official".

I'm always thinking of ways bending could be improved. Right now, bending is very... Predictable. You use one move, press a button, and use another. It follows a very simple formula. Combos have helped spice things up a bit, but in the end all your doing is punching in a slightly more complicated code for an ability. What I'm suggesting is a bit different. I'm talking about bending better interacting with itself to create more fluidity in battle.

An example of this is earthwall. Say an earthbender raises a wall of earth to protect himself from a fire blast. The fire blast has hit and now the earthbender knows it's a good time to strike. So why does the earthbender need to walk around his wall and attack using earthblast when there's a perfectly good wall of earth right there? Why wouldnt that earthbender go to his earth smash or earthblast slot right after raising his wall, and click to send a whole chunk of that wall forward at the enemy?

Same with water. What if there was some way to have a water shield out, and without switching to watermanipualtion and selecting a source, send an attack out with the water shield you already have?

I guess in a sense what I'm suggesting is a simplification of combos into something more practical and fluid. Things like AirStream (sorry, not sure if that's the name) could easily just be done by holding airshield for a bit then clicking, or clicking with airblast once.

In my opinion, bending should be a bit more fluid and natural. Whether this is the way to do it or not, I don't know, but it's what I can think off.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
About the water thing, I like this idea for that:

When you are, for example, holding a surge, and you switch to torrent, the water just starts flowing around you, like torrent would. Reusing the water, which makes you less predictable. + It would add the defensive into offense part of water, which isn't in the plugin atm =/

Immallama

Verified Member
About the water thing, I like this idea for that:

When you are, for example, holding a surge, and you switch to torrent, the water just starts flowing around you, like torrent would. Reusing the water, which makes you less predictable. + It would add the defensive into offense part of water, which isn't in the plugin atm =/
Yeah, water is definitely lacking the whole offense/defense thing right now. The biggest issue with water though is most abilities require you to hold shift, making it tougher to kind of "chain" moves

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Yeah, water is definitely lacking the whole offense/defense thing right now. The biggest issue with water though is most abilities require you to hold shift, making it tougher to kind of "chain" moves
Hold a surge wall > switch to torrent > switch to octoform > and maybe, when you switch to watermanip, you can shoot the water by clicking ?

Immallama

Verified Member
Hold a surge wall > switch to torrent > switch to octoform > and maybe, when you switch to watermanip, you can shoot the water by clicking ?
Those long complicated combos are exactly what I think we should do away with though.

Immallama

Verified Member
Those long complicated combos are exactly what I think we should do away with though.
not a real combo, just something that's there. It wouldn't show up on /b h watercombo.
I'd still rather it be simplified as much as possible so it can be pulled of in combat. Having to do all that while someone is chucking rocks at you is pretty hard.

owlcool

Verified Member
Am I the only one that thinks that the earthbending one would be a little annoying? And not even that cannon? As a chi blocker, you have cornered a earthbender towards a lake, they use raiseearth, so you just spring around that, but before you are around it, you get hit by it and knocked back. Only rare cases of benders, such as toph, have used a giant wall and blasted it forward. Earth isn't supposed to be fluid, it is supposed to be slow and bent down into one location, with the earthbender holding their ground. Freaking bumi took forever to blast forward a equivalent of what a raiseearth would be in the form of a boulder, and those were slow, stiff movements. In probending, the earth discs weren't fast, they were strong and powerful, if a probending team striked first almost all at once, the earthbender is going to be just slightly behind the water and firebender. So, earth isn't fluid is what I am trying to say.

ThePhoenixForce9

Verified Member
I've posted this elsewhere to some extent but I figure I'll make it a suggestion just to make it "official".

I'm always thinking of ways bending could be improved. Right now, bending is very... Predictable. You use one move, press a button, and use another. It follows a very simple formula. Combos have helped spice things up a bit, but in the end all your doing is punching in a slightly more complicated code for an ability. What I'm suggesting is a bit different. I'm talking about bending better interacting with itself to create more fluidity in battle.

An example of this is earthwall. Say an earthbender raises a wall of earth to protect himself from a fire blast. The fire blast has hit and now the earthbender knows it's a good time to strike. So why does the earthbender need to walk around his wall and attack using earthblast when there's a perfectly good wall of earth right there? Why wouldnt that earthbender go to his earth smash or earthblast slot right after raising his wall, and click to send a whole chunk of that wall forward at the enemy?

Same with water. What if there was some way to have a water shield out, and without switching to watermanipualtion and selecting a source, send an attack out with the water shield you already have?

I guess in a sense what I'm suggesting is a simplification of combos into something more practical and fluid. Things like AirStream (sorry, not sure if that's the name) could easily just be done by holding airshield for a bit then clicking, or clicking with airblast once.

In my opinion, bending should be a bit more fluid and natural. Whether this is the way to do it or not, I don't know, but it's what I can think off.
Love it

owlcool

Verified Member
Am I the only one that thinks that the earthbending one would be a little annoying? And not even that cannon? As a chi blocker, you have cornered a earthbender towards a lake, they use raiseearth, so you just spring around that, but before you are around it, you get hit by it and knocked back. Only rare cases of benders, such as toph, have used a giant wall and blasted it forward. Earth isn't supposed to be fluid, it is supposed to be slow and bent down into one location, with the earthbender holding their ground. Freaking bumi took forever to blast forward a equivalent of what a raiseearth would be in the form of a boulder, and those were slow, stiff movements. In probending, the earth discs weren't fast, they were strong and powerful, if a probending team striked first almost all at once, the earthbender is going to be just slightly behind the water and firebender. So, earth isn't fluid is what I am trying to say.
You can basically do everything that toph does by using raiseearth, using shockwave clicking towards the wall, and then collapsing the wall.

Adam

Verified Member

Maybe, it would only shoot a smaller part of the wall..... And maybe the Raise Earth would be smaller from now on?

Immallama

Verified Member
I'm not saying it should be fluid like that. I mean bending should flow better. Use one move, switch slots, use another, repeat. I want something more natural that really makes bending more unpredictable. Using a wall you've already created as ammo was just an example of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.