• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Discussion Thread: Protection plugins, Clans, and Factions

Mist

Staff member
Administrator
Hello everyone, just a couple of notes. First and foremost, here’s the new section of the forum dedicated to the server. From this point forward, all server discussion will happen here.

That said, I wanted to start a new discussion on one very specific topic that is important as we begin developing the server. Protections, clans, etc. This is something I want as much feedback on as possible.

Tell me about some of the servers you have been on, what they used for protections, clans, parties, etc. What was good about it? What was bad about it. Let’s get a good discussion going. Talk about what setups work on some servers and what doesn't do so well on others. Healthy discussion is good!

All the best.

There is a kingdom plugin. Not exactly sure what/how/whenever it works. Though it appears to be more flexible/customizable counterpart to Factions plugin. @Loony's bending server uses it, last time I checked.

Vahagn

Staff member
Plugin Developer
As I currently see it there are about 5-10 good options that ProjectKorra currently supports.

We have Towny which can either be configured to be an aggressive warfare type of protection/gameplay or a peaceful player vs the economy type of gameplay.

We have Factions which if you configure it like towny its better off having towny than factions, so its pretty much a PVP based gameplay that requires quick base making and hunting out other competition.

We have Kingdoms, which is similar to a combination factions and towny with some added features.

We have the very old GreifPrevention plugin that gives every user a certain amount of claim blocks and doesn't allow other players to claim within a certain area of their claim.

And then there is Factions + which is just factions with extra additional plugins and such :3

I personally prefer Towny and Kingdoms over GreifPrevention and Factions because I never really liked the fact that you are reliant on your fac mates in Factions, but in Towny and Kingdoms all you need is yourself to make your kingdom/faction succeed

StrangeOne101

Staff member
Plugin Developer
There is a kingdom plugin. Not exactly sure what/how/whenever it works. Though it appears to be more flexible/customizable counterpart to Factions plugin. @Loony's bending server uses it, last time I checked.
Although Kingdoms is a great plugin for users, Ive seen the problems it can cause so I can't recommend it. It lags like crazy, is filled with bugs and even doing things like reverting plugin version corrupts the data. If it were more stable, I'd definitely recommmed. But sadly I can't do that right now haha.

I've never really played around with other plugins so not really sure what I'd recommend. From what I've seen, GriefPrevention works alright but I've never actually used it for survival before.

xNuminousx

To keep things easier I would suggest using something a majority of players are familiar with. I frequently see Factions or Twony being used. Personally, I like Towny a bit more because, to me, it gives a greater RPG feel without the whole "watch your back 24/7" feel ya know? Towny, in my experience, is a lot more like reality where you worry about land, jobs, income, and people and Factions is more like a fantasy kingdom where there's always an antagonist wanting to burn you down and steal everything. Another analogy, Towny is more about trade, relations, economy, and wealth; where Factions is based around wealth, power, fury, and allies.

Reminder: this is just based on my personal experience. The ideas of each plugin, as said, can be changed depending on the config. But based on what I said above, I'd prefer Towny. You'd want to use something majority of people were familiar with so that you can spend less times on tutorials. There will be plenty of people who already know what they're doing if you go for majority, which means more helpers.

TFORTNT

To keep things easier I would suggest using something a majority of players are familiar with. I frequently see Factions or Twony being used. Personally, I like Towny a bit more because, to me, it gives a greater RPG feel without the whole "watch your back 24/7" feel ya know? Towny, in my experience, is a lot more like reality where you worry about land, jobs, income, and people and Factions is more like a fantasy kingdom where there's always an antagonist wanting to burn you down and steal everything. Another analogy, Towny is more about trade, relations, economy, and wealth; where Factions is based around wealth, power, fury, and allies.

Reminder: this is just based on my personal experience. The ideas of each plugin, as said, can be changed depending on the config. But based on what I said above, I'd prefer Towny. You'd want to use something majority of people were familiar with so that you can spend less times on tutorials. There will be plenty of people who already know what they're doing if you go for majority, which means more helpers.
What ever you do, please don't do the protection thing where you have to gain "power" to gain land...not okay. The server I play on has protect signs that give you a 15 by 15 radius of protection and every day or two you can do /kit protect to get another sign. There are also super protect signs which are 50 by 50 but those are only available to donators, like element master or avatar, (Ten bucks each.). Please do this method, I have spent 30$ on this bending server and most of my friends did as well. They think moving bending servers is a terrible idea do to how much we have in ours. Please think about this idea. (You add people by /ps add (name) and you can do ps addowner if you want someone to be able to add people.)

43v3rusa

What ever you do, please don't do the protection thing where you have to gain "power" to gain land...not okay. The server I play on has protect signs that give you a 15 by 15 radius of protection and every day or two you can do /kit protect to get another sign. There are also super protect signs which are 50 by 50 but those are only available to donators, like element master or avatar, (Ten bucks each.). Please do this method, I have spent 30$ on this bending server and most of my friends did as well. They think moving bending servers is a terrible idea do to how much we have in ours. Please think about this idea. (You add people by /ps add (name) and you can do ps addowner if you want someone to be able to add people.)
yes, I think that this is a great idea

Vahagn

Staff member
Plugin Developer
I don't think we support the plugin your mentioning.

TFORTNT

I don't think we support the plugin your mentioning.
ok, but dont do the thing where you need "power" to get more land. Also about airbending on the other server, can you add both air particles instead of just one of them, for example, air blast instead of having one particle effect it could be combined with the circle particle. I know what I said was very confusing but it's like what happened with air breath, both particles were combined. please reply back.

xNuminousx

ok, but dont do the thing where you need "power" to get more land. Also about airbending on the other server, can you add both air particles instead of just one of them, for example, air blast instead of having one particle effect it could be combined with the circle particle. I know what I said was very confusing but it's like what happened with air breath, both particles were combined. please reply back.
No, you can't combine them both. One or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AirBreath is a JEDCORE addon to ProjectKorra, JedCore is not a part of ProjectKorra core.
I think you misinterpeted the question with the wrong context. He asked why does airbreath have combine particles particles, which contradicts the fact it is impossible to code it.

xNuminousx

I think you misinterpeted the question with the wrong context. He asked why does airbreath have combine particles particles, which contradicts the fact it is impossible to code it.
Well Mesk, he asked if you could combine by using the config option. He didn't directly say it, but that's what he meant without knowing it. We can tell because he used AirBlast as an example. Basically, no you cannot make AirBlast have multiple particles by JUST using Pk.

By stating AirBreath is a JedCore addon, we make it known that it's not apart of Pk so HOWEVER it has more than 1 particle type, it has nothing to do with Pk.

AirBreath is able to have more than one particle type because it is not apart of Pk. You can add as many particle types as you want by making your own abilities.

He suggested that airbending should use multiple particles LIKE jedcore. You both just jump him and said its not official ability, as if you though he was suggesting including/changing air breath alone. Yes, it isn't apart of pk, but that shouldn't stop him of requesting to make airbending as a whole include two particles

xNuminousx

He suggested that airbending should use multiple particles LIKE jedcore. You both just jump him and said its not official ability, as if you though he was suggesting including/changing air breath alone. Yes, it isn't apart of pk, but that shouldn't stop him of requesting to make airbending as a whole include two particles
Well, if that's what he meant I was not jumping on them as if they wanted to add AirBreath to Pk. Seems like you're jumping on us for assuming something we didn't actually assume to be honest...

My reply was under the understanding that he was asking if he was able to give airbending abilities multiple particles like AirBreath. I replied with AirBreath is not a Pk ability, so using common sense you could assume "Oh okay, no wonder the other air abilities are the same."

Also about airbending on the other server, can you add both air particles instead of just one of them, for example, air blast instead of having one particle effect it could be combined with the circle particle.
This reply could be direction to PK include it in their plugin. I think that's ok, considering it isn't the first time someone suggested an example or a straight feature from an addon to be implanted to CORE, and especally when the suggestion actually made its way into the plugin (for example earthsmash, waterarms, bending preview and ect.). It just doesn't matter if the thing is already in a some kind of custom ability or not. Making a "is a X addon" just becomes irrelevant, and it feels like a way of shutting down someone's suggestion. You also don't need to emphasize it by bolding it out and making the text large to get your point across (I'm pretty sure people can read this regular size text with no hard effort).

StrangeOne101

Staff member
Plugin Developer
This discussion is great an all, but it's taking up needless space in a thread about protection plugins. Somehow I think this discussion should move elsewhere lol