• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Important An open and honest discussion on the state of our community

Mist

Staff member
Administrator
Hey everyone,

I wanted to take a moment to begin a more serious discussion thread about the state of our community. I'm going to pose a simple question: What do you see as problems in our community? What do you think we could do better or improve on? I want an emphasis on actionable items: what do you think we could do better. Any ideas at all are appreciated.

Please feel free to leave your suggestions, reply to others, comment on them, etc. Please keep all posts respectful and mature. This is intended to be a serious discussion and I plan to read every post.

Additionally, feel free to private message me with any concerns that you feel are inappropriate for the public forum.

Thanks!

Loony

Verified Member
As a concept designer, something that I want to be revisited and refined is our rule about secrecy. I'd love to tease the community about our plans and give spoilers to build hype. Right now it's rather limited on what we can actually say about what we have planned due to the staff rules.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Better restriction for content platiagarism if possible. Not if something can be done about it, but if it can - so be it. We have witnessed (a possible) plagiarism and the staff members just sweep that fact from their shoulders, as if nothing happen.

Mist

Staff member
Administrator
Better restriction for content platiagarism if possible. Not if something can be done about it, but if it can - so be it. We have witnessed (a possible) plagiarism and the staff members just sweep that fact from their shoulders, as if nothing happen.
PM me more details, please!

New rules for addon developers and addon software?
Happy to hear any suggestions you may have. This is a part of the open discussion. Feel free to post them here.

paliate

Verified Member
The updates aren't coming fast enough.
Minecraft is currently in it's 1.10.2 and the update for 1.8 just came out. People don't want to wait for a plugin to make a new version so that they can enjoy the new features being constantly added into the game. A big concern for me is that Project Korra is starting to fall behind, and I honestly don't understand how this is happening.

There are 10 developers at your fingertips, I don't know if they're just not putting the effort in to bring updates as the game progresses or if there are bigger issues that need to be addressed. Think about it, after a while you're going to get tired of having to restart Minecraft and go into a later version of the game to play. It's not worth it to the players, it gives off the impression that the plugin is slowly dying.

This is just the lonesome opinion of a former staff member and long time player.

Loony

Verified Member
The updates aren't coming fast enough.
Minecraft is currently in it's 1.10.2 and the update for 1.8 just came out. People don't want to wait for a plugin to make a new version so that they can enjoy the new features being constantly added into the game. A big concern for me is that Project Korra is starting to fall behind, and I honestly don't understand how this is happening.

There are 10 developers at your fingertips, I don't know if they're just not putting the effort in to bring updates as the game progresses or if there are bigger issues that need to be addressed. Think about it, after a while you're going to get tired of having to restart Minecraft and go into a later version of the game to play. It's not worth it to the players, it gives off the impression that the plugin is slowly dying.

This is just the lonesome opinion of a former staff member and long time player.
It sure if you missed it but we did release support for 1.10?

On behalf of the other devs, most of them are busy with their personal lives AND 1.8.0 core had so many bugs. I feel that 1.9.0 will be a lot faster with updates.

paliate

Verified Member
It seems a bit silly that it would take months to come out with a support when you have 10 developers working on the plugin.
I understand that everyone has their personal lives to take care of and I'm in full support of their freedom, but if they're not putting the work in to make this plugin come out on a reasonable date then there's a problem.

Minecraft 1.10 came out June 8th, and the support from Project Korra came this Tuesday.
Which is roughly 5 months later, correct me if i'm wrong.

Another concern is that ideas are being shot down left and right based upon opinion. It could be canon and amazing but that staff member just isn't feeling it. There needs to be more protocol for these situations.

It's incredibly disheartening to see a thread which has 2 replies get shut down in the same day regardless of if it's canon or not, if it's a good idea or not, you have to let that idea follow through and see what it turns into as suggestions come up and the members of your community converse.

Loony

Verified Member
It seems a bit silly that it would take months to come out with a support when you have 10 developers working on the plugin.
I understand that everyone has their personal lives to take care of and I'm in full support of their freedom, but if they're not putting the work in to make this plugin come out on a reasonable date then there's a problem.

Minecraft 1.10 came out June 8th, and the support from Project Korra came this Tuesday.
Which is roughly 5 months later, correct me if i'm wrong.

Another concern is that ideas are being shot down left and right based upon opinion. It could be canon and amazing but that staff member just isn't feeling it. There needs to be more protocol for these situations.

It's incredibly disheartening to see a thread which has 2 replies get shut down in the same day regardless of if it's canon or not, if it's a good idea or not, you have to let that idea follow through and see what it turns into as suggestions come up and the members of your community converse.

Like I said before, the developers are busy so we didn't have 10 developers working on the plugin, we had 1-2 developers maximum. We had a lot of bugs, updating to 1.10 would cause more bugs so we needed to fix all of our bugs before we released support for 1.10, and more than 90 bugs were fixed.

paliate

Verified Member
Like I said before, the developers are busy so we didn't have 10 developers working on the plugin, we had 1-2 developers maximum. We had a lot of bugs, updating to 1.10 would cause more bugs so we needed to fix all of our bugs before we released support for 1.10, and more than 90 bugs were fixed.
If you only had 1-2 developers working on the plugin throughout all 5 months then as I've stated before, there is a problem.
Whether they need to be more committed or you just need to demote and gather new developers that's up to you.

This is an open and honest discussion.
Everything I'm saying here, I believe in one hundred percent.
I would never intentionally put Project Korra down in any way, but something needs to be done here. Which is why this thread was created. And I really, soulfully believe that Project Korra can get through this rough patch.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Preach! PK shouldn't go their rough - they should go their fanbase. Comparing the size of how much cd there are vs how many fans, you can cleary see where is the fair side to this whole "up to decide" thing.

CD's are there to collect ideas and analize on how they could be implantes. The Rest of the community - put their final thoughts to result in a final decision.

Kinda like how hosting a party: If most of the guest suggests to prepare and serve a punch bowl before the pary, and the 4 hosts rejects that - more likely than not, those die-hard pudding fans won't come to your party except to the next door one that does include this quick meal.

Last edited:

paliate

Verified Member
Preach! PK shouldn't go their rough - they should go their fanbase. Comparing the size of how much cd there are vs how many fans, you can cleary see where is the fair side to this whole "up to decide" thing.
I disagree to an extent, they should be open to new ideas as long as it meets the protocol hopefully given.
Just because the majority likes something doesn't mean its Canon, Doable, Or a good addition to the plugin. My problem lays with concept designers denying threads that meet a certain criteria just because they personally don't like or appreciate the idea.

A suggestion that meets the criteria should be up for atleast a week so that the community can discuss and solidify the idea.

If the idea meets the criteria and has been up for a week with neutral / good feedback it should be marked looking into and accessed further within a decent period of time.

Having a procedure for stuff like this would make the community feel more engaging and worth staying for. There should definitely be a protocol for everything but I think this would be a good start.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Yeah, I understand. Thought I don't think the majority would make up something and be all up 'for' an absurd idea. Most know where the line is drawn and what team is actually looking for. Nevertheless, I agree to the "extent" you gave.

This lacks of [how you call it? proficent protocol?/!], that it reminds on how EA ignores The Sims franchise fanbase. Don't know if you been and are apart of it, you would know what I'm talking about.

Loony

Verified Member
If you only had 1-2 developers working on the plugin throughout all 5 months then as I've stated before, there is a problem.
Whether they need to be more committed or you just need to demote and gather new developers that's up to you.

This is an open and honest discussion.
Everything I'm saying here, I believe in one hundred percent.
I would never intentionally put Project Korra down in any way, but something needs to be done here. Which is why this thread was created. And I really, soulfully believe that Project Korra can get through this rough patch.
No I get that you aren't trying to put us down I'm just offering an explanation.

It wasn't always the same developers;
It'd be more if a "I can be active now" at the same time as another developer says "I need a break because I have this going on" but I get your point and I do agree.

Matt

Verified Member
As a developer, I would love to see a cleaner and more managed resource section. Maybe a new set of add-on rules :rolleyes:

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Happy to hear any suggestions you may have. This is a part of the open discussion. Feel free to post them here.
Actually I was asking what you have in mind, I know there was talk of it on another thread.

John Wolf

I think the same as you, if you do this will motivate the community to participate and let the liveliest ProjectKorra!

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Downloadable items for the Items plugin please. Core has got too many attention than the other plugins, leaving them.... [vocabulary brain fart]. Anyway, I think it would be nicer if the sub-plugins, such as Items would get some recognizition, so more server managers would have an interest to install and use it. I think allowing developers hook into this plugin and upload their custom item to the public (not just here), that would be a nice start to exploit this popularizing movement towards this slow developt plugin.

Last edited:

SuperBower118

Verified Member
There needs to be some sort of way to bring back old threads that have just gotten lost in time. Bumping is technically illegal (not that anyone seems to moderate bumping anyways lmao), but it's the only way to bring back good ideas.
CDs need to actually look into the glorious library of Looking Intos, and do something with it. I reckon there's a lot of good ideas that have been abandoned.

Also, I do feel like threads are being denied a bit too easily. I'm not saying that players should grab their pitchforks, but there should generally be a section for the PK forums that's dedicated for (heated) debates about certain ideas being brought back from either Denied or Looking Into, or even perhaps removing a feature. Forum User v. Forum User. No staff ranks (CDs) to hold anyone back by locking threads, expect obviously Moderators who have to do their jobs. This would let some good communication, and take some of edge off of a whole Staff vs Community scenario.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
That's a well though idea SuperBower. I'd like to participate in those debates.

That's what I said to the CD'S. Giving me the excuse "have lifes; no time; voluntary job". I think necros need to be looked back and discussed again, because in that time the viewpoint might be diffrent then nowadays as new members come while old one's had already left. I find especally annoying when there are those necro threads that have no replies, thus concluding they are unnoticed and you can't really contributed because of the rule. I think that rule should have a little bit a change to it, because their are moments like this where felt like it is necessary needs to be discussed on.