• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

My Bending Experience: Tips of the waterbender

Hero

Waterbending is the element of change. It is about turning your opponents move against them and being offensive while being defensive. Hear are my tips in waterbending. NOTE: I am no way a "master" waterbender.
  1. Use Torrent to fill your bottles. It is better than WaterManipulation because WaterManipulation does not always come to you. Using Torrent is much faster and returns water 99% of the time. Simply left click and hold shift. You can release shift after the water block starts to follow you.
  2. One way to mess up firebenders is to use Torrent Wave and Surge at the same time. The Torrent wave will dispel any fire attack and the Surge will add more knockback. You can also freeze your opponent.
  3. Need to grab sugarcane? Use WaterManipulation and aim for the bottom of cane. It will cut the plant and allow you to harvest them.
  4. Someone spamming WaterManipulation? You can either go to WaterManipulation spam left click (Do not shift) to redirect or spam shift (Do not left click) to dispel it.
  5. Go to a lake and speedswim around. While swimming around, left click a source with WaterSpout to activate WaterWave. By the time you go towards your opponent, you can use IceWave.
  6. Someone speedswiming away? Use PhaseChange to block their path. You can also suffocate them by freezing them. This is extremely cheap so use with care.
  7. (This requires 2 people) Have one waterbender use WaterBubble underwater. Then have the other waterbender PhaseChange the WaterBubble to create an ice dome! Do not release WaterBubble or you'll end up with an ice doom filled with water.
  8. Do not use IceBullet. It is hard to aim with and sometimes will have a hole in the top.
  9. Use WaterWave and WaterSpout at the sametime to increase height and speed. Point WaterWave in the air, then use WaterSpout. Works extremely well if you speedswim in the air first.
  10. Use WaterWave to reach high places by shifting at the ending point (When you stop moving). Any other time will cause you to fall.
  11. Afraid of lavabenders? Use Torrent to freeze the ground so you can't die from lava.
  12. No bottles but have ice? Left click an ice block to make an ice spike. While the spike is up, shift on the ice to make a water source. Only useful when you need to use an ice ball.
  13. Use IceShield. No move can bypass an IceShield, even lightning.
  14. Do not underestimate IceSpike. Many people forget that it causes slowness.
  15. Use Surge to launch yourself at something or someone. Shift a source, go in front of the source, then left click ahead. You must jump before left click.
  16. Use Torrent more than WaterManipulation. If you effectively use Torrent, you have a super WaterManipulation with the ability to semi-control people.
  17. Unlike earthbending where you wait, get ready to attack, but also get ready to defend yourself.
  18. People think OctopusForm is a complete bust, but do note that if you spam left click, you deflect projectiles like snowballs (Hint hint) and arrows. Keeps melee people at bay too.
  19. HealingWaters is EXTREMELY useful if used right in battle. HealingWaters gets rid of ALL status effects and you could speedswim, then activate healing for a sec. Keep doing that, and you'll find yourself full again.
  20. Someone hiding in water? Go underwater and use WaterBubble to improve underwater vision. This works both ways so be careful.
  21. Need to cross the ocean and have a horse? Get on the horse and use PhaseChange to make an ice bridge. Or make a lead and use WaterSpout.
Thats all.

HydroMan

22. Wanna fly? Just burst out waterspout below you, and by having waterbottles in inventory switch to surge, hokd shift and space keep looking straight below, move away from the pool, and you'll be able to move around on land by the floating surge acting as a water pool for waterspout to create (thanks to minecraft physics). Wanna go down quickly back to ground. Just let go space while still holding shift.
23. This is very known trick by some medium experience waterbenders. If you fall from gate height, you can use surge-shield onto your feet to negate fall damage. If you have waterbottles, then it is even better as it is more effective and not risky.

Rain Drop

People think OctopusForm is a complete bust, but do note that if you spam left click, you deflect projectiles like snowballs (Hint hint) and arrows. Keeps melee people at bay too.
You can also freeze people (earthbenders mostly) and then kill them with octopusform.

24. Too far away from a source to use Torrent or Surge? Or you want to run away quickly but there is no water near you? Use WaterManipulation, which has a larger range, bringing the water to you, then use it as a source.

25. As an alternate to IceBullet, equip Torrent, look down at the ground and freeze yourself. Then destroy the block where your head is, and only that one. If you start suffocating, tap sneak with PhaseChange to melt the ice, and try again later. The ice around you will protect you from most water moves (be wary of OctopusForm). Now you can WaterManipulation the water OUTSIDE of your ice shield, and it will come towards the ice, so you can attack people whilst being protected by your own ice. If someone tries to OctopusForm you, melt the ice by tapping sneak with PhaseChange.
Alternatively, you can also OctopusForm while in your ice shield, keeping opponents away from you, allowing you to later strike with WaterManipulation.
-
More people should make these kind of threads!

Last edited:
26. OctopusForm blocks almost all fire/air moves. Jumping and spinning around with it can protect you. Plus, its tentacles pushes every entity: if a bender/mob is shooting to you projectiles or fallingBlocks, Octopus can deflect them. Tip: you instead of spamming your mouse, you can also "break" the ground of the battlefield. Punching the block is the same as destroying the crap out of your left-mouse button.

Air/Water Team Move: FLYING OCTOPUS MONSTER - For this you need an airbender and a waterbender. The airbender will have to AirStream, and the waterbender will have to keep OctopusForm going. The airbender AirStreams the waterbender into a crowd of mindless peasants, and the waterbender rapidly clicks with OctopusForm. It is a bloodbath.

Air/Water Team Move: FLYING OCTOPUS MONSTER - For this you need an airbender and a waterbender. The airbender will have to AirStream, and the waterbender will have to keep OctopusForm going. The airbender AirStreams the waterbender into a crowd of mindless peasants, and the waterbender rapidly clicks with OctopusForm. It is a bloodbath.
@PoopMasterPT
This combo has copyrights s(°O°)z

HydroMan

28. Chi spams smokescreen? Quickly do torrent, to deflect smokescreen back at CB, then take him down while (s)he is blind.

HydroMan

You could do this with many water moves, but imo it's best done with air.
Torrent is faster to set it up, while Surge has a smtm long and small delay & Watermanips requires to aim. Others take to long to set them up or charge.

Last edited:

Tenket

I wrote this a while back. I cycle through the elements periodically, and every time I change I stay in that element for a little while. Im in my earth phase.

• Water
  • This is most difficult to use as it requires sources but those are not as prevalent as earth. Bottle bending negates this somewhat but then creates something else to remember about (ammo count).
  • Choice use of water shield can cancel fall damage. Activate mid air and face it down and it's like landing in water.
  • While traveling over land i found waterbending annoying in its approach. Traveling by surge or more recent water wave were finicky and only favored flat ground plus required water shield to negate fall damage. If you travel over or through water sources thats different, as waterbenders travel over water the fastest and easiest of all. Jumping and sprinting over ice is very fast (almost as fast as firebender firejet chains) and can be used by a teammate also.
  • Roaming is ok-ish. You can feed yourslef the easiest using with custom abilities of wakefishing you are able to catch fish with waterbending. Reduced need to find food as you can heal yourself pretty easily. As you can use plant bending plus you are are roaming, water is rarely a problem to find but bottle bending is advised almost necessary. Making bases for the night is not entirely needed if you are traveling oceans. On land however base making is basically the same as vanilla, waterbending isn't much help. But as you get stronger at night theres also reduced need to build a base if you are roaming and you know where you want to go.
  • You are the nether's bitch. You need to carry all of your own water via bottle bending, and if you run out of water mid battle you are finished. Only way to refill bottles is to use a cauldron and water bucket, but an inventory hungry solution. You can travel vertically by making ice with torrent and then using water spout, this is very limited and if you get knocked off the ice you can die from falling easily. Dropping into lava is easy to recover from with a downward facing water shield, it also extinguishes the lava in a circle the size of the shield (a pretty terrible place to run out of water)
  • My waterbender bases use phasechange as a way to open/close doors. Or a pool of water at the base of a cliff and an entrance at the level waterspout reaches (you can make night only entry by making the entrance the height of a nighttime water spout).
  • Also fun to make your floors out of water with signs below, and make the whole base high up. That way you need to use phase change to move through that place with any speed (plus risk of falling)

Tenket

I wrote this a while back. I cycle through the elements periodically, and every time I change I stay in that element for a little while. Im in my earth phase.

• Water
  • This is most difficult to use as it requires sources but those are not as prevalent as earth. Bottle bending negates this somewhat but then creates something else to remember about (ammo count).
  • Choice use of water shield can cancel fall damage. Activate mid air and face it down and it's like landing in water.
  • While traveling over land i found waterbending annoying in its approach. Traveling by surge or more recent water wave were finicky and only favored flat ground plus required water shield to negate fall damage. If you travel over or through water sources thats different, as waterbenders travel over water the fastest and easiest of all. Jumping and sprinting over ice is very fast (almost as fast as firebender firejet chains) and can be used by a teammate also.
  • Roaming is ok-ish. You can feed yourslef the easiest using with custom abilities of wakefishing you are able to catch fish with waterbending. Reduced need to find food as you can heal yourself pretty easily. As you can use plant bending plus you are are roaming, water is rarely a problem to find but bottle bending is advised almost necessary. Making bases for the night is not entirely needed if you are traveling oceans. On land however base making is basically the same as vanilla, waterbending isn't much help. But as you get stronger at night theres also reduced need to build a base if you are roaming and you know where you want to go.
  • You are the nether's bitch. You need to carry all of your own water via bottle bending, and if you run out of water mid battle you are finished. Only way to refill bottles is to use a cauldron and water bucket, but an inventory hungry solution. You can travel vertically by making ice with torrent and then using water spout, this is very limited and if you get knocked off the ice you can die from falling easily. Dropping into lava is easy to recover from with a downward facing water shield, it also extinguishes the lava in a circle the size of the shield (a pretty terrible place to run out of water)
  • My waterbender bases use phasechange as a way to open/close doors. Or a pool of water at the base of a cliff and an entrance at the level waterspout reaches (you can make night only entry by making the entrance the height of a nighttime water spout).
  • Also fun to make your floors out of water with signs below, and make the whole base high up. That way you need to use phase change to move through that place with any speed (plus risk of falling)
Also I dont do much PvP, so all of this is just roleplaying minecraft with bending in there

Tenket

26. OctopusForm blocks almost all fire/air moves. Jumping and spinning around with it can protect you. Plus, its tentacles pushes every entity: if a bender/mob is shooting to you projectiles or fallingBlocks, Octopus can deflect them. Tip: you instead of spamming your mouse, you can also "break" the ground of the battlefield. Punching the block is the same as destroying the crap out of your left-mouse button.
I saw a thread asking this move to be nerfed. I laughed and laughed at the guys stories raging about how he got rekt over and over.

HydroMan

Now that you mentioned, I'm thinking of making a huge plot/small town, where the entrace would be covered in a water. Instead needing to unfreeze the ice to get in, as firebenders can turned ice into water, I'll make a big, flat long water tube, where in order to cross you'll need to use waterbubble, because it would be impossible to go throught the whole tube to reach the waterbender camp without drowning. Thanks for the idea. I might as well use the sign thing idea.