• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Surge Wall Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

owlcool

Verified Member
Element: Water
Move: Surge Shield
Use: The water surge wall should divert certain bending moves to move towards different locations. So, if the default combustion went through a water surge wall, If there was a sudden movement from left to right then the move would be moved towards that direction.
Inspiration: 1:10 in this video when this tai chi instructor is showing a "Slipping" technique, I got this idea.
Changes to better represent the art, The surge "push" should be slow, then fast, I got that idea from 3:35 in the video. The surge "push" stopping won't need to be for long, maybe for like half a second.

Last edited:

owlcool

Verified Member
Additional idea from that video, in 1:20, it shows that tai chi moves in 45 degree angles. Perhaps both shields should be changed to only 45 degree angles, while if you are exactly halfway of a 45% angle, you stay as you originally were. If you go more then that, you switch over to the next 45 degree angle. This won't seem like a massive debuff, but it does seem like something nice to add to the plugin to better represent the martial arts behind the bending art.

SamuraiSnowman

Verified Member
when this tai chi instructor is showing a "Slipping" technique, I got this idea.
The "Slipping" technique is just moving to the side, not redirecting the punch anywhere else... I don't see a connection?
Perhaps both shields should be changed to only 45 degree angles,
What do you mean to only 45 degree angles? Any angle is technically 45 degrees from some axis...
He also moved in 45 degree angles, not blocking at 45 degree angles..

owlcool

Verified Member
The "Slipping" technique is just moving to the side, not redirecting the punch anywhere else... I don't see a connection?

What do you mean to only 45 degree angles? Any angle is technically 45 degrees from some axis...
He also moved in 45 degree angles, not blocking at 45 degree angles..
First point, the surge could move moves to the side, like how the martial art move does. Second point, lets just say it is 45 degrees from the original creation of the shield.

owlcool

Verified Member
Me neather ,can you pls provide a better demonstration on the move
Basically, surge in water shield form would divert the move somewhere else, like for example, right when a combustion is inside the water shield, quickly move your mouse to the left or right, and the attack would "slide" right past you.

HydroMan

Verified Member
Basically, surge in water shield form would divert the move somewhere else, like for example, right when a combustion is inside the water shield, quickly move your mouse to the left or right, and the attack would "slide" right past you.
Now i get it ,moving the blast while it
is caught by the surge ,which you need to turn the shield to your right/left for you intentionally make it as a miss. I like it

SamuraiSnowman

Verified Member
First point, the surge could move moves to the side, like how the martial art move does. Second point, lets just say it is 45 degrees from the original creation of the shield.
First point: The martial art move was dodging the hit, but let's not argue on that ;)
Second point: This would be a huge debuff to surge shield! People can easily turn out of the 90 degrees that you'd be able to turn.... A firebender just firejets behind you and your shield is ruined...

owlcool

Verified Member
First point: The martial art move was dodging the hit, but let's not argue on that ;)
Second point: This would be a huge debuff to surge shield! People can easily turn out of the 90 degrees that you'd be able to turn.... A firebender just firejets behind you and your shield is ruined...
You could move your shield 90 degrees and 180 degrees still. It would just have the shield have a bit more of a flow like how the martial art flows. Since you can rotate it 90*, you can rotate it 180*. It would still be able to block in between, but it would not stay in one position in between. Do you understand what I am saying? It wouldn't really be a debuff.

owlcool

Verified Member
You could move your shield 90 degrees and 180 degrees still. It would just have the shield have a bit more of a flow like how the martial art flows. Since you can rotate it 90*, you can rotate it 180*. It would still be able to block in between, but it would not stay in one position in between. Do you understand what I am saying? It wouldn't really be a debuff.
if you would watch the 45* turns again, then you would notice they are slow, settling into another 45* turn. This would be what the change to the shield would be like.

Moonelight

Verified Member
for example, right when a combustion is inside the water shield, quickly move your mouse to the left or right, and the attack would "slide" right past you.
Wouldn't it make more sense if the combustion exploded rather than get redirected? Besides, the combustion beam is controled souly by the user, not the Waterbender.

owlcool

Verified Member
Wouldn't it make more sense if the combustion exploded rather than get redirected? Besides, the combustion beam is controled souly by the user, not the Waterbender.
The combustion beam is an example, and it is not like we are giving waterbenders the ability to completely control fire, that was simply an example of something that could happen. The shield would be "Pushing" the blast to the side, or in the martial arts world, The waterbender "Slides" past the blast.

Status
Not open for further replies.