• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Looking Into Waterwave rework

NickC1211

I think the way waterwave is rn is unrealistic so I'm suggesting a change. I think it should be you click at a water source and hold shift for about two seconds. Maybe there could be a longer you hold it the further you go. Once you see water particles turn to the direction you want to go in and let go of shift. The water would come straight from the source and propel the user to their desired direction. Basically suggesting that waterwave should work more like water flow, by coming straight from the water and not a small ring. However it would not carry other people like water flow. The sequence for icewave would not change. Also when using a plant source it would look like the way it is now with the ring.

Maybe it could be more interesting so that if you're on your wave and your coming up on another water source you could continue your wave off that source somehow. Maybe like holding shift before you reach it then releasing shift near it to continue the wave.

If you look closely you can see her use more water to continue it.

The ice wave would stay connected to the source until revert and will also be sourceable by other waterbenders. It would look something like this:

Credit: xNuminousx

I also think there should be a change in the freeze animation so that it freezes the feet of whoever gets caught in it. To get out of the ice they just have to break their feet free. This way it's not a huge ice ball.

Tell me what you think :D

Last edited:
Don't know how you missed my suggestion. While it doesn't change the waterwave ability itself, it still has a connection/link and somehow is relative: http://projectkorra.com/threads/iceraft.6317/ ( Just pointing out for no reason :p )

As far as it goes for the second gif and regarding animation, I prefer Taiko's: (http://projectkorra.com/threads/water-waterwave-new-look.3054/) What Kya did looked more like a spring, than a ring, so I agree it needs changing. As for icewave (along with my mention changes within the first Link), the animation should be exactly like what Katara did from your posted gif.

Maybe it could be more interesting so that if you're on your wave and your coming up on another water source you could continue your wave off that source somehow. Maybe like holding shift before you reach it then releasing shift near it to continue the wave.
That's... well though off and I agree. It makes sense and I like that :) I love it <3

xNuminousx

by coming straight from the water and not a small ring
Well the ring idea isn't too far fetched. It's still a possibility. My only issue is that it creates so much more water than what existed in the ring lol.

I think this should be more of what the IceWave should look like. Right now it looks exactly like the WaterWave but ice... Which isn't completely feasible. The current IceWave is way to fluid to represent ice, and as we see in this gif it's not as fluid as we see. I think IceWave should instead be an ice path that you run on. When Waterbenders run on ice they get speed, this could further take advantage of that feature. When you execute whatever the sequence for IceWave, an ice path emerges from the selected watersource and trails, for a certain distance, where your mouse is pointing (along the ground of course. If anything maybe like 1-2 blocks off the ground max). If executed correctly, you could make it look exactly like this gif. And the waterbender would be able to use their ice path as a watersource on land.

Maybe there could be a longer you hold it the further you go.
I think the distance should be represented by the amount of water you have available rather than the amount of charge.

This could replace the Surge jetting we just had a debate over :eek: Madocean mentioned chaining the surges, well how about chaining the WaterWaves?

I think this should be more of what the IceWave should look like. Right now it looks exactly like the WaterWave but ice... Which isn't completely feasible. The current IceWave is way to fluid to represent ice, and as we see in this gif it's not as fluid as we see. I think IceWave should instead be an ice path that you run on.
It looks something like would go straight, in which you suggested - I approve that THIS is how Self-Surge should look or at least the icewave be like: already frozen, sends you straight, faster, ect.

NickC1211

It looks something like would go straight, in which you suggested - I approve that THIS is how Self-Surge should look or at least the icewave be like: already frozen, sends you straight, faster, ect.
If you guys are saying that icewave should not be directable I disagree because in the gif with katara she used icewave but she was still moving side to side:

However maybe it should not be able to leave the ground if its ice or can't go more than like 3 blocks off the ground.

Last edited:

xNuminousx

This is my interpretation of what the ice wave could look like. Notice how it scales up the blocks and connects to the water source. The waterbender can then use this as a source of speed AND use the ice as a water source as I show in the gif. Also, notice how the "slide" curves towards the end, representing the use who bended this moved their mouse making it change direction.

May-15-2017 17-34-38.gif
I know the gif isn't the best but you get the idea.

NickC1211

This is my interpretation of what the ice wave could look like. Notice how it scales up the blocks and connects to the water source. The waterbender can then use this as a source of speed AND use the ice as a water source as I show in the gif. Also, notice how the "slide" curves towards the end, representing the use who bended this moved their mouse making it change direction.

View attachment 2982
Oooh I love this and it could be sourceable so that you can use it before it reverts. Just imagine waterbenders fighting together giving each other sources :-: I'm so proud. the water one should be sourceable too.

xNuminousx

Oooh I love this and it could be sourceable so that you can use it before it reverts. Just imagine waterbenders fighting together giving each other sources :-: the water one should be sourceable too.
Yes, I mentioned this lol. But good thinking!

xNuminousx

View attachment 2982
This idea would prove useful by giving Waterbenders more on-land bending opportunities without actually making them too over balanced. Perhaps anyone that's in the way of this slide would get slowed as a result of being trapped in the ice.

NickC1211

This idea would prove useful by giving Waterbenders more on-land bending opportunities without actually making them too over balanced. Perhaps anyone that's in the way of this slide would get slowed as a result of being trapped in the ice.
Yea if it's just one block their feet get stuck and maybe the have to break it or heat control/ phasechange it

If you guys are saying that icewave should not be directable I disagree because in the gif with katara she used icewave but she was still moving side to side:

However maybe it should not be able to leave the ground if its ice or can't go more than like 3 blocks off the ground.
Well Idk then. In the gif where's about to bump Toph and the one where she runs from Azula works differently: in latter she still slides on water before freezing it her wake, but on the first it is already frozen and I don't could twist and thirl it whilst it's straightaway solid

Išsiųsta naudojantis SM-G313HN Tapatalk 4 Lt

Perhaps in the first gif, that's how SelfSurgeJet should work and look. In the third, that's how Icewave should work.

Madocean

Perhaps in the first gif, that's how SelfSurgeJet should work and look. In the third, that's how Icewave should work.

That would basically be making surgejet into waterwave... It would make more sense just to remove it in that case.

Madocean

Oooh I love this and it could be sourceable so that you can use it before it reverts. Just imagine waterbenders fighting together giving each other sources :-: I'm so proud. the water one should be sourceable too.
The way this move looks like it's going is mobile frostbreath xD

I think the way waterwave is rn is unrealistic so I'm suggesting a change. I think it should be you click at a water source and hold shift for about two seconds. Maybe there could be a longer you hold it the further you go. Once you see water particles turn to the direction you want to go in and let go of shift. The water would come straight from the source and propel the user to their desired direction. Basically suggesting that waterwave should work more like water flow, by coming straight from the water and not a small ring. However it would not carry other people like water flow. The sequence for icewave would not change. Also when using a plant source it would look like the way it is now with the ring.

If you look closely you can see her use more water to continue it.

Tell me what you think :D
Well there's a lot of ways to choose the animation though, including from those gifs: in first one, Katara pulls two waterwhips, Kya forms a spring instead of the hovering ring shape (which I prefer that one out of all three), and there's Katara at the last one in the beginning doing... not sure what (*reads the transcript:* fails to find) she did before the gif started :/ There are also more scenes of waterbenders skiing/skating/sliding, but I'll leave that up to guys to find and decide for yourselfs.

xNuminousx

The gif explains it, really... She took water from a source and used it to produce an icy "slide" which helped her propel towards Toph which results in a collision, knocking them both to the ground.

There are three gifs. Don't know what you mean by "the gif explains it", when all of three of them look different from each other. I'm not sure If in the last she's using ice or water or a mixture when she surfs across the river. It looks she only used ice to not loose balance while she was doing a drift/curved turn. Second gif is obviously a waterspout...

Actually, the title mention WaterSpout, but the OP provided gifs of waterbenders freezing, so it depends on how you define it. For me, it does look it would be involving IceWave combo.

Don't know how you missed my suggestion. While it doesn't change the waterwave ability itself, it still has a connection/link and somehow is relative: http://projectkorra.com/threads/iceraft.6317/ ( Just pointing out for no reason [emoji14] )

As far as it goes for the second gif and regarding animation, I prefer Taiko's: (http://projectkorra.com/threads/water-waterwave-new-look.3054/) What Kya did looked more like a spring, than a ring, so I agree it needs changing. As for icewave (along with my mention changes within the first Link), the animation should be exactly like what Katara did from your posted gif.

That's... well though off and I agree. It makes sense and I like that :) I love it <3
Just notice I pasted the wrong first link, lol

http://projectkorra.com/index.php?threads/6301/ *

Anyway, ^^^ I don't like (the rigid limit) anymore, so it doesn't matter much

Icewave really needs something interesting and unique, like additional feature(s) instead of freezing (boring!). I guess it could do this, like reward/benefit those who used it on ice/snow enviroments:

You could probably already the useful application for it. If not, you would be able to drag and form walls of vibrant heights accordingly to how you adjust your own elavation (tap space or sneak). It would also fits well with having WaterSpout in the combo activation, because it really does resemble both techniques: the vortex and the wave.

Last edited: