• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Water Spout Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonelight

Verified Member
I'm sure many of us have tried to use torrent while on water spout, and the torrent broke your spout.

Things to know

• The spout allows you to use moves without having to select a source of water
  • The spout won't support Octopus Form, plant, or ice related moves
  • The spout won't be delayed in movement, but that can be configured
  • The moves supported by the spout are also configurable
  • This concept was created from Unalaq in Book 2 of TLOK

How it works

To use this passive, simply go to a move you are wanting to use. While on your spout you can shift, or click, with whichever move. In my example I will use Torrent.

You hold shift on your spout, about 2 blocks below you a bridge of water will come out of your spout and give you the water needed for torrent. You will not need to select the source to use this ability, which is why it is so nice. I know we all have trouble with getting a water source for our moves while on spout, that's another reason this ability would help so much. Many people might complain about your spout going down while holding onto torrent on the spout. Simply hold the space bar to prevent yourself from going down any further, and you should be fine.

This ability definitely falls into the reasons Water is so great with change, because while you're high on your spout you are farther from any available water sources (except your spout).

Proof

Watch as Unalaq uses his spout as a Water Bending source.

Look closely at where Unalaq is getting his water source from, hint: his spout.

I hope you liked this concept, and to be honest I am not the best when it comes to creating Waterbending threads. So if some of its information seems false, please tell me and I will gladly fix it!

Questions, critique and more below!

Thanks,
~ Fly

Janny

Verified Member
I'm sure many of us have tried to use torrent while on water spout, and the torrent broke your spout.

Things to know

How it works

To use this passive, simply go to a move you are wanting to use. While on your spout you can shift, or click, with whichever move. In my example I will use Torrent.

You hold shift on your spout, about 2 blocks below you a bridge of water will come out of your spout and give you the water needed for torrent. You will not need to select the source to use this ability, which is why it is so nice. I know we all have trouble with getting a water source for our moves while on spout, that's another reason this ability would help so much. Many people might complain about your spout going down while holding onto torrent on the spout. Simply hold the space bar to prevent yourself from going down any further, and you should be fine.

This ability definitely falls into the reasons Water is so great with change, because while you're high on your spout you are farther from any available water sources (except your spout).

Proof

I hope you liked this concept, and to be honest I am not the best when it comes to creating Waterbending threads. So if some of its information seems false, please tell me and I will gladly fix it!

Thanks,
~ Fly
Add. Now. Please. LOVE IT.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Okay so the only problem i see is with the shift option, shifting makes your spout go down, so it would have to be the click function for most moves.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
I know that fly, but that limits movement XD and makes things confusing most of the time. Shouldn't be any shift functions used in abilities when on spouts.

Moonelight

Verified Member
I know that fly, but that limits movement XD and makes things confusing most of the time. Shouldn't be any shift functions used in abilities when on spouts.
I'm not so sure we could really fix that. The shield capability for surge is proven to be used on a spout by Korra, which is a shift function. Yeas, it's possible you could just ignore that one thing and give all the moves a click function instead. But that would be different to code.

It would be hard for the move to understand when you're on a spout or not (as far as I am concerned), so I am going to stay off that topic for now.

The only thing I see working would be to not allow water spout to get lower/higher when switching slots.

6tijn

Verified Member
I think it'd need a (small?) cool down though. If it's not long enough water camping could get worse because water benders don't need to go down near the water's surface to get their water. They could spam Torrent constantly right away, while high and safe up their spouts. When near to the surface (small spout) they are weaker because they're closer to the water source (watermanip spam). Take that need to stay low to the surface away and it might give water bending a major buff.

BUT for a water vs water fight, this sounds really really interesting. Now, when there's water vs water fight between 2 good/skilled/experienced benders, It's often all about trying to stay the highest in order to make it easier to brake your opponent's spout, get him down to the water surface and spam water manip. With this, high spout fights would look epic. (my opinion)

Also, would this also work for moves like water manipulation, waterwave and surge? Or is it more Torrent focussed?

If it does include All these moves (watermanip, surge, torrent, waterwave, etc.) I think they should all have a cool down of maybe a second Or when you did like, let's say, 3 times the same move, you need to use an other attack before you can do that move again. In that way spammy water manip fights would get shortened and you would have to add some other moves like torrent into the battle.

This in order to prevent water manipulation spam fights.

Orion_Solus

Verified Member

Things to know

How it works

Proof

Thanks,
~ Fly
Can you refresh my memory plz ? Wasn't Unalaq UnaVatu in the gifs provided ( I can't remember) ?

Moonelight

Verified Member
I think it'd need a (small?) cool down though. If it's not long enough water camping could get worse because water benders don't need to go down near the water's surface to get their water. They could spam Torrent constantly right away, while high and safe up their spouts. When near to the surface (small spout) they are weaker because they're closer to the water source (watermanip spam). Take that need to stay low to the surface away and it might give water bending a major buff.

BUT for a water vs water fight, this sounds really really interesting. Now, when there's water vs water fight between 2 good/skilled/experienced benders, It's often all about trying to stay the highest in order to make it easier to brake your opponent's spout, get him down to the water surface and spam water manip. With this, high spout fights would look epic. (my opinion)

Also, would this also work for moves like water manipulation, waterwave and surge? Or is it more Torrent focussed?

If it does include All these moves (watermanip, surge, torrent, waterwave, etc.) I think they should all have a cool down of maybe a second Or when you did like, let's say, 3 times the same move, you need to use an other attack before you can do that move again. In that way spammy water manip fights would get shortened and you would have to add some other moves like torrent into the battle.

This in order to prevent water manipulation spam fights.
The water spout would support those moves, except water wave. The cooldowns were thought out to be similar to the regular cooldowns these moves contain. I see your concern in the water camping, but there's multiple ways to beat a waterbender while on their enhanced spout. As shown in the gif, Korra is using airspout to keep on the same level as Unalaq. Range for other elements would be key, but even though it may result in some more water campers, water is supposed to be strongest & have the advantage in their own source. So the camping wouldn't come as a surprise to me, and it shouldn't come as one to you.

Regarding the cooldowns again, I think a small cooldown wouldn't be so bad. A configurable time could be set for the cooldown, default could be 4 seconds. Range isn't something I can determine. The developers would be the one to do that stuff. A shortened spout brings the realistic-ness out of the spout, same for the 3 move then switch idea.

It's not like Water Manipulation isn't spammed already. Though the spouts goal isn't to help spammers, so I do agree on the cooldown.
The idea isn't any different then standing on a surface surrounded by water, blasting torrents at the opponents on the coast of the main land, you just get the height differences. Waterbenders already can use the spout to stay safe, it's one of it's main reasons it's a move.

Orion_Solus

Verified Member
I believe it was, but he wasn't in his dark Avatar State at the time.
Even so he was a very powerful bender even before he merged with Vatuu. After his merge I believe he got even stronger and in the show and in the thread he was the only one capable of doing this (besides Korra who was the Avatar)

6tijn

Verified Member
I think, to gether with spout particles, this would make water bending much more 'realistic' but also more complex, how it used to be in the shows.

The water spout would support those moves, except water wave. The cooldowns were thought out to be similar to the regular cooldowns these moves contain. I see your concern in the water camping, but there's multiple ways to beat a waterbender while on their enhanced spout. As shown in the gif, Korra is using airspout to keep on the same level as Unalaq. Range for other elements would be key, but even though it may result in some more water campers, water is supposed to be strongest & have the advantage in their own source. So the camping wouldn't come as a surprise to me, and it shouldn't come as one to you.

Regarding the cooldowns again, I think a small cooldown wouldn't be so bad. A configurable time could be set for the cooldown, default could be 4 seconds. Range isn't something I can determine. The developers would be the one to do that stuff. A shortened spout brings the realistic-ness out of the spout, same for the 3 move then switch idea.

It's not like Water Manipulation isn't spammed already. Though the spouts goal isn't to help spammers, so I do agree on the cooldown.
The idea isn't any different then standing on a surface surrounded by water, blasting torrents at the opponents on the coast of the main land, you just get the height differences. Waterbenders already can use the spout to stay safe, it's one of it's main reasons it's a move.
Agreed.

HydroMan

Verified Member
I imagine using this only with surgeshield to make myself "fly" and by that flee away from my enemies easily without needing bottles or to lift down to select a source xD

6tijn

Verified Member
I imagine using this only with surgeshield to make myself "fly" and by that flee away from my enemies easily without needing bottles or to lift down to select a source xD
Shush, now they know that's possible and they might prevent that from happening. ;-;

HydroMan

Verified Member
Shush, now they know that's possible and they might prevent that from happening. ;-;
Well ,they can always make it so surge wont be able to be source-selected from the spout. The Downside would be as it will loses its main best defense :/

6tijn

Verified Member
Well ,they can always make it so surge wont be able to be source-selected from the spout. The Downside would be as it will loses its main best defense :/
It should keep that defense. I mean, the part you can fly. But I think it doesn't really matter anyways, since when you're flying on your shield with your spout, you're slow, weak and can't defend yourself. Idk.

Status
Not open for further replies.