• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Looking Into Update Forum Username

Forum Name Changes?

• Yes

• No

• Yeah, with a cooldown.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Moonelight

Verified Member
Users like me, who have changed their IGN, would like to have some way to possibly change their username on the forums. I don't know about you, but I would like to match my minecraft name.

Things To Know

• You must "apply" for a changed username through a forum topic
  • You must apply using the form given
  • Your reason for changing a username must be valid
  • You can only change your username every couple weeks (1 or 2 months)
  • Staff reviews the applications, accepts them & denies them

How It Works

A new forum topic would appear on Project Korra, Username Changes. There you would apply for a forum name change. You need to have a valid reason for changing your username, and if staff doesn't like it, they won't change it.

The application form below would be used, and I will fill it out as an example:

Application for Forum Name Change

1. Why do you need this change? (So staff can determine if your reasons are good enough)

I would like to change my username to match my minecraft IGN, so that way people can recognize me when online servers. If my username is not consistent with my forum name, I might not be credited for the suggestions I make. That's my main concern.

2. How long do you plan on keeping this minecraft username? (This way staff has an idea of how long you might be keeping your forum name)

At least the rest of the year.

3. What did you want to change your current forum name to? (So if staff agrees to this name change, they know what to change it to)

I would like to change it from Fly to Easte.

I assume name changes would come with a cool down more than likely, but it's not needed if the staff reviews applications and does it themselves to keep things clean.

I saw an idea about having your previous username next to your old username in brackets for a week or two so that people can recognize you and adjust to your new name. I honestly don't think it's a bad idea, so I thought I should include it somewhere in here.

I hope this redone version of my suggestion makes more sense, and I also hope you can come to agreeing with this idea.

- Fly

(Forum was re-made to be more organized on 5/1/2015 @ 8:23 AM CST)

Last edited:

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
I agree. My name is like one letter too long on my laptop so whenever I look at it, I'm like "ocd"

Moonelight

Verified Member
I don't agree with this. It might become confusing very quickly.
It's the same thing as changing your name on Twitter, or Instagram. It's basically just to keep up with your minecraft name. You see, if people see you have a new name, they will become more used to your new IGN. There will always be confusion right after you change it, but it never stays that way.

Gamzee

God Tier Member
Verified Member
It's the same thing as changing your name on Twitter, or Instagram. It's basically just to keep up with your minecraft name. You see, if people see you have a new name, they will become more used to your new IGN. There will always be confusion right after you change it, but it never stays that way.
This isn't social media. Forums are for discussion, meaning everyone is constantly talking to each other. If everyone can change their name, then it will be very hard to keep track on who is who when tons of people have different usernames.

Moonelight

Verified Member
This isn't social media. Forums are for discussion, meaning everyone is constantly talking to each other. If everyone can change their name, then it will be very hard to keep track on who is who when tons of people have different usernames.
If you're smart enough you wouldn't try change your name every day. You have a point saying it's not social media, but that doesnt take the fact away that many of us would like our usernames to match our IGN's. Even if it was a whole new forum section where we send in a request to have our name changed, I'd want it. <- That would be the best way to prevent constant forum name changes.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
30 days cooldown? Just like Mojang?

HydroMan

Verified Member
Maybe in brackets it could be show the original name next to new username.Ex: Hydro212 [HydroMan]. Then after a half year or just a year has pass, then the name in bracets would disaapear ,leaving the time to get know it abit and get use to the players newly changed name before struggling to find out who is he that has recently change is name

Last edited:

Hero

Verified Member
You wont believe how many times people change their names and I think they are just stalkers until they tell me....

Moonelight

Verified Member
You wont believe how many times people change their names and I think they are just stalkers until they tell me....
You can only change your name once every 30 days, and it usually works out. Hydro's idea of your previous name being in brackets next to your new username would work well too. Think of this in the perspective of someone like WhiteKnight, they want to fix their forum username. I think your answer was just a fast response, honestly.

Hero

Verified Member
You can only change your name once every 30 days, and it usually works out. Hydro's idea of your previous name being in brackets next to your new username would work well too. Think of this in the perspective of someone like WhiteKnight, they want to fix their forum username. I think your answer was just a fast response, honestly.
It was around 6:40 ish, thats still night for me

Loony

Verified Member
I completely agree.
By the very least, I would be happy with only changing your name once. When I made my account, it was just to download the plugin so I rushed through it. When it asked for my name I thought I can choose a nickname later on. Now I'm stuck with my full name, which I don't enjoy. >.<

Gamzee

God Tier Member
Verified Member
I completely agree.
By the very least, I would be happy with only changing your name once. When I made my account, it was just to download the plugin so I rushed through it. When it asked for my name I thought I can choose a nickname later on. Now I'm stuck with my full name, which I don't enjoy. >.<
What I want to know is how you are still alive.