• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Sub Element: Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

EndersShadows

Verified Member
Element:
Fire

Basic info:
Create multiple moves, instead of a single move, that relate to fire's lightning ability.

Possible moves:
+ Electrocute (Passive): Any lightning relating attacks will have a small AoE radius. 2-3 blocks, mainly used in water with a radius of 7-8. All lightning attacks will deal extra damage to water, and metal. (Reason; these work as conductors)
+ Chainlightning: This move is explained easily by its title. Charge up your attack and once cast on a target it will leap to nearby targets. Excluding yourself. The "leaping" range of the attack will be increased in water
+ LightningStrike: The current lightning ability, except renamed.
+ Shock: A small burst of lightning that will travel along the ground in the direction of enemies.
+ Electricity (Defensive): A toggle move that deals a small amount of damage when players enter within a certain radius of you. Once they come close enough, they will be shocked, and so will you.

Damage info:
<.>
Chainlightning: 3 hearts on initial target -> each jump will deal one heart less
<.> Thunder: Stay the same as the current move "lightning"
<.> Shock: Deal 2 hearts
<.> Electricity: Deal 1 heart per attack to enemies. Deal 1 heart every 2 seconds to yourself.

Pros:
+ Add more abilities to choose from for fire.
+ Give a "Lightning" style to firebenders
+ Keep up with earth's 2 sub elements

Cons:
- Not Cannon
- No good particle effects for said abilities
- Slightly OP towards water

Gifs to help visualize:
I was unable to find a gif that would demonstrate my ideas in the way I hoped.

Please post feedback on what could be added/removed from the pros and cons lists.

Last edited:

Kwesi

Verified Member
This is a personal thing, but I think Electricity would be nice if 1: You didn't toggle it you'd rather hold sneak to activate and release sneak to deactivate, that way it acts like the bender is actually using the ability. 2: When the player gets punched the attacker would suffer damage-over-time (1 damage/0.5 hearts default) for a configurable amount of time (5 seconds default) and receive the same stun effect as Paralyze (player's screen trembles), which would look great for someone being shocked.

I really appreciate how you're suggesting to expand upon sub-elements with few abilities. I understand the idea and I agree. That being stated, I think your ideas are good. :)

Kwesi

Verified Member
Just pointing this out, thunder is a sound. And one particle effect I can think of is the one jedk used in his move discharge. A static look.
I'd imagine that would be the one used for this as well. Would you say LightningStrike agrees with you?

Helios

Verified Member
Love this idea and I would love to see lightning develop as a sub-element. 100% support this idea :D.

Kwesi

Verified Member
Something that will be an even bigger deal with this whole concept is lightning redirection. I assume certain abilities can be redirected? Although, I would say that I don't think every one should be redirectable. I reckon Shock and Electricity shouldn't; the reason for Shock is because it would not really be a direct lightning attack and the reason for Electricity is the distance is too short to effectively redirect something that moves so fast and is so dangerous.

I think something important to also consider is the fact that not all abilities should be redirectable by a bender of the same element: not all waterbenders can redirect every water ability, neither can earth, so fire should not be able to.

Helios

Verified Member
Something that will be an even bigger deal with this whole concept is lightning redirection. I assume certain abilities can be redirected? Although, I would say that I don't think every one should be redirectable. I reckon Shock and Electricity shouldn't; the reason for Shock is because it would not really be a direct lightning attack and the reason for Electricity is the distance is too short to effectively redirect something that moves so fast and is so dangerous.

I think something important to also consider is the fact that not all abilities should be redirectable by a bender of the same element: not all waterbenders can redirect every water ability, neither can earth, so fire should not be able to.
Right, good point. I think maybe these should do a slight bit more damage in water or on metal because they are both conductors.

Joeri

Verified Member
Yes, Lightning has been the most undeveloped sub element together with Plantbending and Soundbending.

Suggestion:

Charge
This move allows the user to left click on redstone wires, activating them for 3 seconds.
Range: 10
Duration: 3

It's actually cannon btw, Mako was using lightning in a factory to produce energy

Kwesi

Verified Member
Right, good point. I think maybe these should do a slight bit more damage in water or on metal because they are both conductors.
That's a good idea. hat could work well or players wearing iron armor, or if an electrical ability strikes a metal block its range of damage extends a block, damaging any player who stands by a body of metal.

JhanJhan

Verified Member
I like this idea very much and believe it has great potential, there are many instances of lighting being used in different ways in the legend of korra. Further more, I believe there should be an explosion preceding the lighting as shown in the anime.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
I like this idea very much and believe it has great potential, there are many instances of lighting being used in different ways in the legend of korra. Further more, I believe there should be an explosion preceding the lighting as shown in the anime.
Not all lightning moves in the show had an explosion. Maybe one of the moves could have this to make it more unique from the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.