• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Denied Soundwave

Kwesi

Verified Member
I think an official soundbending ability would be great to implement so I hope this is considered.

Name: Soundwave

Description: Tap sneak to expel a blast of air from an amplified yell with airbending. When a target is hit they will be disoriented. You can also hold sneak and release to expel a large burst of air which will cover a bigger area and cause greater disorientation.

An ability like this could make a lot of sense to officially introduce soundbending. Tapping sneak is like blowing out a quick gust while yelling. That will nauseate the stricken target for a short amount of time (perhaps 3-5 seconds default). I reckon this could look much like AirBlast. A minor knockback could also be included.

Alternatively, you could hold sneak, wait for the charge, and release sneak, which is like inhaling a large amount of air into the lungs and exhaling a loud and violent yell. It would cause a burst of air instead and nauseate more targets to a greater degree (perhaps, like 10 seconds default) and cause slowness for the same amount of time. A moderate knockback could also be included.

An ability like this could be made into an AirCombo, but I reckon it works much better as a bound ability.

I hope you implement this because it would be nice to see the diverse ways airbenders can use their airbending. Soundbending is a good example of their resourcefulness, and it would come in handy.

If anyone has any helpful comments or suggestions they're welcome. Thank you. :)

Last edited:

Fuzzy

Verified Member
This move has already been created for the abilities section. Its name is "Sonicblast." The only slight difference is there is no charge factor for a burst of air/sound. Everything else such as nauseate and knockback are already included into the move. I realize you said an "Official" move for the plugin, but do not take the ideas from a move that has already been created and call it your own.

Kwesi

Verified Member
This move has already been created for the abilities section. Its name is "Sonicblast." The only slight difference is there is no charge factor for a burst of air/sound. Everything else such as nauseate and knockback are already included into the move. I realize you said an "Official" move for the plugin, but do not take the ideas from a move that has already been created and call it your own.
I'm not calling it my own. It was suggested that it be implemented as an official soundbending ability into Project Korra.

Yes, SonicBlast and SoundWave have similarities, but that's because they both achieve the same purpose. They are both soundbending abilities. SonicBlast's functions really grasp what soundbending could be on Minecraft. Soundwave uses different variations from my own idea for the ability, ideas I did not mimic from SonicBlast. While SonicBlast did inspire my wish for having a soundbending ability added, that was all it did. Soundbending is a legitimate airbending style and I believe it deserves to have its own ability. I assure you, their similar effects are more coincidental than anything else, but I understand your skepticism.

Whether or not you agree with my suggesting it's completely up to you. I didn't intend to take any ideas from SonicBlast other than it's a soundbending ability. If my suggestions is denied, well...then it's denied - no problem. There is already an ability which can do some of these things, bu the point of Soundwave was to provide a stable foundation and possible progression of soundbending in the core plug-in.

TheSkyKing

Verified Member
Sounbending itself is not a legitemate air bending ability.Sound doesnt just travel through the air. Sound actually travels better in some metals and liquids than it does in the air. So using the same logic, when submerged in water or surrounded by metal benders, they should be able to sound bend too, right? Wrong. Sound is not one of the four elements nor is it created with one of the four elements. It is a form of energy that requires a medium, not the sub element nor an technique of air benders.

Kwesi

Verified Member
The ability to yell and create a blast of sound that disorients and confuses? Hmmm...
I now wish to see an animation of an airbender yelling this while soundbending like this! I also really hope this gets implemented so I can do this! :D

Kwesi

Verified Member
Sounbending itself is not a legitemate air bending ability.Sound doesnt just travel through the air. Sound actually travels better in some metals and liquids than it does in the air. So using the same logic, when submerged in water or surrounded by metal benders, they should be able to sound bend too, right? Wrong. Sound is not one of the four elements nor is it created with one of the four elements. It is a form of energy that requires a medium, not the sub element nor an technique of air benders.
I understand that point. However, with the right medium, airbenders can amplify how much sound they emit through more breath. An example of this is when Aang drew in an extraordinary amount of air to blow through his bison whistle to increase the range of the sound to increase the probability that Appa would hear. Also, I assure you, if an airbender where to whistle before you with simply their mouth doing the same thing, you would definitely feel its effects. :S

TheSkyKing

Verified Member
I understand that point. However, with the right medium, airbenders can amplify how much sound they emit through more breath. An example of this is when Aang drew in an extraordinary amount of air to blow through his bison whistle to increase the range of the sound to increase the probability that Appa would hear. Also, I assure you, if an airbender where to whistle before you with simply their mouth doing the same thing, you would definitely feel its effects. :S
The sound output from when aang blew his whistle was not strong enough to damage or disorient people especially trained warriors. The amount of sound needed to create a damaging sound wave is too great for an air bender to create. Not to mention that blowing through a whistle isn't sound bending. the whistle relies on air to create its sound, like many instruments. The more air, the louder the sound it can produce. the same principle isn't applicable in open space. In fact, the more air there is, the faster the sound would dissappate due to fact that the energy would have even more air particles to vibrate. Sound bending is not and physically cant be an air technique. The closest thing to sound bending is what you said earlier about the whistle but that isn't manipulating the sound, its just putting more air into a tool that is already designed to make a sound with air, not manipulating the sound itself.

TheSkyKing

Verified Member
Oh and btw, fire benders control heat from the sun, not light. the lightning they produce is heat lighting, not true electrical manipulation. No bender has the ability to control pure energy such as light or sound

Migsel

Verified Member
Oh and btw, fire benders control heat from the sun, not light. the lightning they produce is heat lighting, not true electrical manipulation. No bender has the ability to control pure energy such as light or sound
I think the only truly 'pure' form of energy is movement. Whether that be movement of photons, electrons, or vibrations on a molecular level, it is movement, even sound. It is just the compression and decompression of the medium through which the movement is travelling through. Either I thought of a new perspective of energy and motion or I'm drunk D-D

Kwesi

Verified Member
The sound output from when aang blew his whistle was not strong enough to damage or disorient people especially trained warriors. The amount of sound needed to create a damaging sound wave is too great for an air bender to create. Not to mention that blowing through a whistle isn't sound bending. the whistle relies on air to create its sound, like many instruments. The more air, the louder the sound it can produce. the same principle isn't applicable in open space. In fact, the more air there is, the faster the sound would dissappate due to fact that the energy would have even more air particles to vibrate. Sound bending is not and physically cant be an air technique. The closest thing to sound bending is what you said earlier about the whistle but that isn't manipulating the sound, its just putting more air into a tool that is already designed to make a sound with air, not manipulating the sound itself.
"Soundbending" is meant in a secondary sense. The tool used in this case would be the vocal chords. As you said, increasing the air output will increase the sound output.

I have a question, the frequency at which the whistle sounded was not one that could be heard by a human, so how would you know exactly what effect it would have a human? I understand your point, but it's still speculation. It was obvious that the sound was produced to an immense scale. If attuned to a frequency humans could hear it could have some adverse effects.

I appreciate the logic you're applying to this argument, but I feel like you're delving too much into the scale of this technique. Think of it like this: someone is yelling really loudly directly into your ear. Your body will suffer from that, the degree of which is different for different people, but still adverse, nonetheless. Now imagine that but greatly amplified (like an megaphone output directly into the ear).

The point of "soundbending" is not bending sound directly, it's amplifying sound output through a medium. That is how it works realistically, a secondary style. I don't see how it is not possible. Given the mechanics of "soundbending" and the range at which the target would be affected with this ability (not that far away), the effects could be as severe as noted.
They directly manipulate heat but indirectly manipulate light, given that fire is not only heat energy, there is also light energy. The same applies to lighting, an indirect manipulation of something due to manipulation of something that coincides with it.

TheSkyKing

Verified Member
"Soundbending" is meant in a secondary sense. The tool used in this case would be the vocal chords. As you said, increasing the air output will increase the sound output.

I have a question, the frequency at which the whistle sounded was not one that could be heard by a human, so how would you know exactly what effect it would have a human? I understand your point, but it's still speculation. It was obvious that the sound was produced to an immense scale. If attuned to a frequency humans could hear it could have some adverse effects.

I appreciate the logic you're applying to this argument, but I feel like you're delving too much into the scale of this technique. Think of it like this: someone is yelling really loudly directly into your ear. Your body will suffer from that, the degree of which is different for different people, but still adverse, nonetheless. Now imagine that but greatly amplified (like an megaphone output directly into the ear).

The point of "soundbending" is not bending sound directly, it's amplifying sound output through a medium. That is how it works realistically, a secondary style. I don't see how it is not possible. Given the mechanics of "soundbending" and the range at which the target would be affected with this ability (not that far away), the effects could be as severe as noted.

They directly manipulate heat but indirectly manipulate light, given that fire is not only heat energy, there is also light energy. The same applies to lighting, an indirect manipulation of something due to manipulation of something that coincides with it.
The affect that it has on humans is evident: it has no affect. Using your vocal chords wouldnt work aswell. Youd have to fill your lungs with a ludacris amount of air and release at one time. Your lungs would explode before you even got close to the amount of air needed to amplify the yelling to the degree of it harming someone. You cant amplify it through the medium once it is already out there(unless youre so skilled at airbending that you can vibrate each air molecule at the same interval and keep vibrating them at far distances). And about the fire thing, fire is not a form of light energy.

Gahshunk

Verified Member
The affect that it has on humans is evident: it has no affect. Using your vocal chords wouldnt work aswell. Youd have to fill your lungs with a ludacris amount of air and release at one time. Your lungs would explode before you even got close to the amount of air needed to amplify the yelling to the degree of it harming someone. You cant amplify it through the medium once it is already out there(unless youre so skilled at airbending that you can vibrate each air molecule at the same interval and keep vibrating them at far distances). And about the fire thing, fire is not a form of light energy.
Kwesi was saying that, through fire, light is indirectly produced as well. It carried light with it, not as a bendable element.

Kwesi

Verified Member
Valid points, although, I feel they apply more to a non-bender's restrictions than a bender's. I mean, how would an ability like seismic sense apply to the limits of a non-bender? How can firebenders transfer lightning through one arm, their stomach and out the other? There are certain things that, with their abilities, defy certain limits and restrictions of the human body.

TheSkyKing

Verified Member
Valid points, although, I feel they apply more to a non-bender's restrictions than a bender's. I mean, how would an ability like seismic sense apply to the limitso of a non-bender? How can firebenders transfer lightning through one arm, their stomach and out the other? There are certain things that, with their abilities, defy certain limits and restrictions of the human body.
Seismic sense, though its a universal earth move, is extremely specific. Toph picked it up because she was blind and she had a heightened sense of touch. Combined with the ability to earth bend, she was able to feel the vibrations in the ground. That doesnt go against the anatomy of the human body. Fire benders can transfer the lightning through their arm and out the other because they can control lightning. Anybody can transfer electricity from one point of the body, to another. The difference with fire benders is that their lightning manipulation ability keeps them from being grounded and controls the direction of the current. The ability of the human body to transfer an electrical current does not go against the limits of the human body either. Being a bender does not change your anatomy. All benders are human. Air benders dont naturally have super elastic or really big lungs just because they can bend air. Benders dont defy the human body's limitations. They manipulate the environment around them to preform amazimg feats while retaining the physical limitations of the body.