• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Prepping for the ProjectKorra Redesign

Mist

Staff member
Administrator
Hello everyone! A little while ago I posted a thread where I talked about an upcoming major redesign to ProjectKorra's digital end and I wanted to take a moment to detail what that means and how it may affect uptime this weekend.

We are currently planning to launch the new and improved ProjectKorra THIS SUNDAY (July 9th, 2017). This means that at some point on Sunday, the ProjectKorra forums will be unavailable for a couple of hours and a Maintenance message will be displayed on the forum. This should not last more than 2 hours and you'll be able to hop back on as soon as it is over. The Discord server will still be available and I welcome you to join during the downtime.

Here's a few important notes for you:
- If your personal websites link to ProjectKorra's current forum, you'll have to update your links. Instead of being http://projectkorra.com/threads/....., your new link will be http://projectkorra.com/forum/threads/.

This is the only major breaking change. The rest of the thread will detail more about what this new redesign will feature.

ProjectKorra is getting a brand new fully responsive landing page and website.
I'm a data guy and was looking at our Website Analytics and found the #1 issue was the amount of time it took people to find download links on our forum. We took the first step in easing this by removing the wall that required users to create an account before downloading. The new website will allow people to download the plugins without even having to access the forum, meaning more and more people will have to go through less hurdles to receive updates from us.

Here's a *small* preview of the new landing page for ProjectKorra (Core)

The new website is designed to be sleek, engaging, and easy to find the information you're looking for.

Additionally, we will be activating a new forum theme on Sunday to match the sleek-ness of the new website.

This is going to be rolled out slowly, but you will start seeing some minor aesthetic changes to the forum before then to get ready.

Most notably:
- We are going to be introducing a new design for the server list shortly. We will be introducing a new "Featured" Unofficial Server section to prepare for the launch of the Official ProjectKorra Server. More info will come after the launch of the new website.
- The shout box will continue to exist, but will no longer be on the forum home page. We are going to begin encouraging people to head over to our official Discord server and the Shoutbox will be on a separate page on the forum. By loading the shout box on the homepage, it slows down the website for many users as the web server is pushing more queries.
- Our announcements bar (with download links) will be obsolete and removed. It's an eyesore and I really don't think anyone is going to miss it.
- The actual structure of forum categories will be restructured. Things will be easier to find, tag, and more!
- We will be revisiting some of our old resource categories to clean things up a little bit.
- Staff Applications will be handled differently and more efficiently.
- We are expanding! We have more to announce in the coming weeks and a Core update coming very soon! Be on the lookout for information regarding the server, other projects, social media, etc.

This redesign is LONG overdue. I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed working on it.

First :p

Here's a few important notes for you:
- If your personal websites link to ProjectKorra's current forum, you'll have to update your links. Instead of being http://projectkorra.com/threads/....., your new link will be http://projectkorra.com/forum/threads/.
And as a head-ups/trick: If you can't load a thread that you open up through a link, be sure to add that initial /forum/ to access the post.

We are going to be introducing a new design for the server list shortly. We will be introducing a new "Featured" Unofficial Server section to prepare for the launch of the Official ProjectKorra Server. More info will come after the launch of the new website.
Featured as in favorite the best one out of magority voted members?
- Our announcements bar (with download links) will be obsolete and removed. It's an eyesore and I really don't think anyone is going to miss it.
Does that refer to the table that welcomes you with "Hey *Someone*, here are some important links for you to our latest stuff!" ?
- The actual structure of forum categories will be restructured. Things will be easier to find, tag, and more!
I approve of that.
- We will be revisiting some of our old resource categories to clean things up a little bit.
May you elaborate a bit?
- We are expanding! We have more to announce in the coming weeks and a Core update coming very soon! Be on the lookout for information regarding the server, other projects, social media, etc.
Kudos!

This redesign is LONG overdue. I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed working on it.
Thanks. Don't know about everyone else, but I'm enjoying it :)

Loony

First :p

And as a head-ups/trick: If you can't load a thread that you open up through a link, be sure to add that initial /forum/ to access the post.

Featured as in favorite the best one out of magority voted members?

Does that refer to the table that welcomes you with "Hey *Someone*, here are some important links for you to our latest stuff!" ?

I approve of that.

May you elaborate a bit?

Kudos!

Thanks. Don't know about everyone else, but I'm enjoying it :)
1. You repeated what he just said lol
2. No, sponsored server slots
3. Yes
4. Who doesn't
5. We're cleaning stuff up in the resource section

Thank you for the response for my questions.

1. You repeated what he just said lol
Well that's was more of a tip of mine to others than a reminder, lol.
4. Who doesn't
I don't understand what he meant by "category clean-up"? Will he be removing something or tweaking something, but IDK. Categories look fine If you ask me (they are pretty well organized and taken care of me), so Im not sure what that means.

Loony

Thank you for the response for my questions.

Well that's was more of a tip of mine to others than a reminder, lol.

I don't understand what he meant by "category clean-up"? Will he be removing something or tweaking something, but IDK. Categories look fine If you ask me (they are pretty well organized and taken care of me), so Im not sure what that means.
JUS WAIT