• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Possible Firejet Nerf

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperBower118

Verified Member
Fun. I've seen this before.
On a serious note, I am a firebender that strongly disagrees with this. Why?

1: Fire needs to charge to be deadly
I'm sorry, but fireblast, blaze, walloffire, and combustion (stock, obvious) just don't cut it, and firecombos can't keep up the pressure too well in a close range fight. Unlike Watermanipulation and Earthblast, Fireblast is something that you cannot spam, or at least as well as those two moves. In theory, it may seem fair that Manip and EBlast get no cooldown time because you need a source for them, in reality, you're left practically defense less as it is with the fact that you can't keep up with the barrage of manips and EBlasts. Add directing a move the attacks to go around you or even behind you, and you're pretty much dead. Even if you do firejet to a safe haven and you can charge up a move while it can still your opponent Earthbenders and Waterbenders can simply just deny any move you through at them by RaiseEarthing, EarthGrabbing, Or TorrentFreezing the area in front of you. (Hell, you can even surge shield or watermanip the charged fireblast. [And don't say that you can fireburst the opponent, because if you're gonna be unable to charge burst while firejetting, you're standing there, perfectly vulnerable while charging the move,which takes an extra second longer that fireblast to charge]) Airbenders... well... Do I need to explain anything for them? Airjet (Airblast yourself) out of the way, or airswipe the attack, or just shield yourself from it. And when you are charging a move, you're exposing yourself to some airswipes, along with an airsweep to your face.

2: Fire lacks the proper defense and range to make up for a nerf like this
While fire is the element of offense, it's been shown that firebending techniques can be used defensively too. Unfortunately, there is just too much that can penetrate a fire shield for it to be considered a reliable defense. Torrent, EarthSmash, AirSwipe, AirBurst, and Surge are some of the moves that can go through a fire shield and hit you. While just about all of these moves are some of the bigger, more powerful moves, it still proofs that fire lacks a defense that can make up for this offensive nerf. And even if you do firejet around these moves, Water, Earth, and even Air can still throw attacks at you easily, while you lack a way of properly damaging them back due to the first reason I stated on why I disagree with this.

3: You did not state the possibility for people to defend themselves from charged attacks and firejet
I know this idea is controversial, but if you break it down to the small details, it turns out to be a bit over powered.
And I am already prepared for the firebenders that are going to disgree. On a firebenders side of this argument, firejet is fine. That's only because the move is in favor of you. When a firebender is moving while charging, some may say they are open to many attacks. At the speed the default firejet gives you, most elements can't aim for you. Now add a speed that most can't achieve, plus attacks that have a powerful impact. It sounds kind of over powered, doesn't it?
You are wrong. I have mentioned ways for people to block a charged attack. If you fail to block the attack, then it is most likely your fault. It is VERY obvious that a firebender is charging up an attack when they're firejetting to change positions while sneaking. What else do you want, a neon sign telling you that they're charging up an attack? You also forgot the possibility of hitting the firebender right AFTER they land... a simple torrent or a sneaky earthblast if they're close can catch the firebender off guard. And it is not impossible for you to make a noticeable hit on the firebender, for I've fought people who have hit me with an EarthSmash, and there are others who completely stopped my firejet with a torrent that hit my character's feet. I've also fought some airbenders could dodged my attacks, then airstreamed me right after I launched my fireblast.

Note that I am completely aware that this feature can be toggled.

Jesus P.

Verified Member
Well, I mean this is a great idea of nerfing this ability but not such a good way to resolve it. How about you must Shift for about 1.25 seconds until you see smoke above your head, and then let go. We could also lower down the time they have during flight, maybe reducing it by 0.75 seconds would be good. Hopefully you agree!

NOTE(S):
Delaying the time before on flight would be a great decision so you couldn't repeatability spam the overpowered, utility ability.

Hero

Verified Member
Ugh, why are so many firebenders blind to the fact that is this a great idea? Most of ya firebenders are complaining is because this womt benefit you....selfish panda haters.

CelloEnthusiast

Verified Member
While fire is the element of offense, it's been shown that firebending techniques can be used defensively too. Unfortunately, there is just too much that can penetrate a fire shield for it to be considered a reliable defense. Torrent, EarthSmash, AirSwipe, AirBurst, and Surge are some of the moves that can go through a fire shield and hit you. While just about all of these moves are some of the bigger, more powerful moves, it still proofs that fire lacks a defense that can make up for this offensive nerf. And even if you do firejet around these moves, Water, Earth, and even Air can still throw attacks at you easily, while you lack a way of properly damaging them back due to the first reason I stated on why I disagree with this.
Firebending is the offensive element, it's not supposed to have defense like water, earth, and air. I am in favor of this idea, it's really great!

SuperBower118

Verified Member
Firebending is the offensive element, it's not supposed to have defense like water, earth, and air. I am in favor of this idea, it's really great!
Did you even read? I stated that firebending techniques can be used defensively as shown in the show. While not as defensive as the rest of the elements, you can't say that fire shouldn't have defense. That's like saying because Air is the Mobility/Defensive element, it should only have Defensive/Mobility moves.

Last edited:

Tidal_Force

Verified Member
I support this idea. Unless they give other benders a chance to charge or use abilities while on their waterwave, earthsmash, or glide (which might or might not allow usage of abilities, I forget) it makes firebenders have an unfair faculty over other benders. I don't think it would be that big of a deal to charge abilities at the end of a firejet, would it?

SuperBower118

Verified Member
Ugh, why are so many firebenders blind to the fact that is this a great idea? Most of ya firebenders are complaining is because this womt benefit you....selfish panda haters.
Because you're blind to the fact that this will make fire really UP unless it gets a really effective move / buff against the other elements that would balance it again.

SuperBower118

Verified Member
I support this idea. Unless they give other benders a chance to charge or use abilities while on their waterwave, earthsmash, or glide (which might or might not allow usage of abilities, I forget) it makes firebenders have an unfair faculty over other benders. I don't think it would be that big of a deal to charge abilities at the end of a firejet, would it?
You can already charge up moves after airjetting / catapulting. And you can charge up airswipe / sonicblast while on airglide.

Last edited:

Hero

Verified Member
Because you're blind to the fact that this will make fire really UP unless it gets a really effective move / buff against the other elements that would balance it again.
The only reason why most firebenders hate this suggestion is because they charge moves on firejet. All the other elements agree that its MEGA annoying...

SuperBower118

Verified Member
The only reason why most firebenders hate this suggestion is because they charge moves on firejet. All the other elements agree that its MEGA annoying...
You can counter that by blocking the charged move... I've stated in my original post on this thread some ways to block the charged move..

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Fun. I've seen this before.
On a serious note, I am a firebender that strongly disagrees with this. Why?

1: Fire needs to charge to be deadly
I'm sorry, but fireblast, blaze, walloffire, and combustion (stock, obvious) just don't cut it, and firecombos can't keep up the pressure too well in a close range fight. Unlike Watermanipulation and Earthblast, Fireblast is something that you cannot spam, or at least as well as those two moves. In theory, it may seem fair that Manip and EBlast get no cooldown time because you need a source for them, in reality, you're left practically defense less as it is with the fact that you can't keep up with the barrage of manips and EBlasts. Add directing a move the attacks to go around you or even behind you, and you're pretty much dead. Even if you do firejet to a safe haven and you can charge up a move while it can still your opponent Earthbenders and Waterbenders can simply just deny any move you through at them by RaiseEarthing, EarthGrabbing, Or TorrentFreezing the area in front of you. (Hell, you can even surge shield or watermanip the charged fireblast. [And don't say that you can fireburst the opponent, because if you're gonna be unable to charge burst while firejetting, you're standing there, perfectly vulnerable while charging the move,which takes an extra second longer that fireblast to charge]) Airbenders... well... Do I need to explain anything for them? Airjet (Airblast yourself) out of the way, or airswipe the attack, or just shield yourself from it. And when you are charging a move, you're exposing yourself to some airswipes, along with an airsweep to your face.

3: You did not state the possibility for people to defend themselves from charged attacks and firejet

You are wrong. I have mentioned ways for people to block a charged attack. If you fail to block the attack, then it is most likely your fault. It is VERY obvious that a firebender is charging up an attack when they're firejetting to change positions while sneaking. What else do you want, a neon sign telling you that they're charging up an attack? You also forgot the possibility of hitting the firebender right AFTER they land... a simple torrent or a sneaky earthblast if they're close can catch the firebender off guard. And it is not impossible for you to make a noticeable hit on the firebender, for I've fought people who have hit me with an EarthSmash, and there are others who completely stopped my firejet with a torrent that hit my character's feet. I've also fought some airbenders could dodged my attacks, then airstreamed me right after I launched my fireblast.

Note that I am completely aware that this feature can be toggled.
My counter: It's not canon

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Whether it's canon or not doesn't seem to matter too much. (apparently) You also have to keep in mind how practical an idea is.
Well I was joking about the canon xD and this idea is actually pretty practical. If you are flying through the air with fire, concentrating on keeping balanced, flying, and not running into things, I doubt you'd in reality be able to charge any big attacks.

AlexTheCoder

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
You can charge while in an airblast flight, or in a catapult

Sketz

Verified Member
I guess I could go with this Idea. However people are talking about fire being overpowered or strong. This to me don't seem to be ProkjectKorra. Maybe the servers config, which would be more understandable. As long as this has a toggle feature I'll be fine.
Kinda like what they should've done with airbubble & waterbubble.

Most firebenders In my opinion, have to charge, then when the firejet stops, they release it, or even wait a bit longer.
This meaning, that the firebending is not using their arms & legs, but charging the energy within them selves, then releasing it when they stop.
which kinda seems a bit legit to me.

Although, if there is a toggle feature, I think it should be alright.

Sketz

Verified Member
I also see why players would argue over this, even if there is a toggle feature.
This is because what if the server they play on, chooses to disable the firejet charging. This would be aggravating.

players may like it, players may not like it. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.