• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

OctopusForm Mechanics Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loony

Verified Member
What's wrong with OctopusForm?
I think we can all agree that octopusform is one of the most unused Waterbending abilities.
The reasons for this are;

• Start-up time is too slow
  • Movement speed is too slow
  • Range isn't high enough with the movement speed given
  • The attack knocks the player back, meaning you have to slowly walk to land another attack
  • Doesn't have enough defence
What I suggest:
  • Octopusform would take less time to charge up
  • Able to redirect water abilities
  • Able to pull players towards
  • Tentacles have more range, they're longer and look more realistic / better
  • Easier movement
  • More defence
The details:
Octopusform would take less time to form, but also change the animation in the way that it forms. Instead of water appearing around you, a stream of water would travel towards you and then separate when it reaches you into 4-6 octopus arms (configurable). The stream of water would take around 2-3 seconds to reach you, but once it reaches the arms spread out almost instantly.
When charging the move, you need to keep hold of shift, but after it has fully charged and the arms appear you may release shift. While using octopusform you receive slowness 1, as it would require you to constantly waterbend to keep the move active, so you wouldn't be able to move very fast.

You would be able to redirect / block water abilities like;

• WaterManipulation (Redirect)
  • IceSpike (Blocked)
Another feature of octopusform would be to pull player's towards you, but with a cooldown. You would hold shift -> left click and then one of your arm would extend and pull the player towards you. When you aren't holding shift it would be the normal punch mechanic that currently exists.
The arms would be longer than they currently are and have more range. You would only be able to use one arm at a time (so you cannot attack until your arm comes back to you)

Octopusform would also be able to be used for defense. You would be able to hold shift and right click and your tentacles would be brought in and spin around your body, blocking most attack moves. If someone were to step into this circle it would push them back.
When in this feature, you have 4-6 seconds before it runs out which would then expand outwards in a torrent wall way, meaning you can't use octopusform again until the cooldown is done.

You would only be able to use octopusform for a certain amount of time. The time would be editable, but the default would be 20 seconds.

Last edited:

Hero

Verified Member
  • IceSpike (Blocked)
You lost me at redirecting water moves. I know that if you go to octoform, then people would just spam watermanip. but I dont really think that is necessary. I like the move though.... even though I often say that octopusform should pull people in.....

orfeas

Verified Member
yeah an improvement is needed,with out a doubt.I have suggested one but i failed D:.I think that yours is better though

Zafkiel

Verified Member
I always asked myself : why a Concept designer has to make an official suggestion can't he just talk to the developpers about his idea ?
Oh and actually I like those changes but I think it should be able to block Fireblast too :D

Joeri

Verified Member
What's wrong with OctopusForm?
I think we can all agree that octopusform is one of the most unused Waterbending abilities.
The reasons for this are;

• Start-up time is too slow
  • Movement speed is too slow
  • Range isn't high enough with the movement speed given
  • The attack knocks the player back, meaning you have to slowly walk to land another attack
  • Doesn't have enough defence
What I suggest:
  • Octopusform would take less time to charge up
  • Able to redirect water abilities
  • Able to pull players towards
  • Tentacles have more range, they're longer and look more realistic / better
  • Easier movement
  • More defence
The details:
Octopusform would take less time to form, but also change the animation in the way that it forms. Instead of water appearing around you, a stream of water would travel towards you and then separate when it reaches you into 4-6 octopus arms (configurable). The stream of water would take around 2-3 seconds to reach you, but once it reaches the arms spread out almost instantly.
When charging the move, you need to keep hold of shift, but after it has fully charged and the arms appear you may release shift. While using octopusform you receive slowness 1, as it would require you to constantly waterbend to keep the move active, so you wouldn't be able to move very fast.

• IceSpike (Blocked)
Another feature of octopusform would be to pull player's towards you, but with a cooldown. You would hold shift -> left click and then one of your arm would extend and pull the player towards you. When you aren't holding shift it would be the normal punch mechanic that currently exists.
The arms would be longer than they currently are and have more range. You would only be able to use one arm at a time (so you cannot attack until your arm comes back to you)

Octopusform would also be able to be used for defense. You would be able to hold shift and right click and your tentacles would be brought in and spin around your body, blocking most attack moves. If someone were to step into this circle it would push them back.
When in this feature, you have 4-6 seconds before it runs out which would then expand outwards in a torrent wall way, meaning you can't use octopusform again until the cooldown is done.

You would only be able to use octopusform for a certain amount of time. The time would be editable, but the default would be 20 seconds.

I like those changes, octopusform needs to be more useful

Loony

Verified Member
I always asked myself : why a Concept designer has to make an official suggestion can't he just talk to the developpers about his idea ?
Oh and actually I like those changes but I think it should be able to block Fireblast too :D
This was before I got accepted as a Concept Designer.

KingKamikaze21

Verified Member
While using octopusform you receive slowness 1, as it would require you to constantly waterbend to keep the move active, so you wouldn't be able to move very fast.
Sprint hopping will nullify that effect greatly, and from what we've all seen it seems like octopus form is a stationary, defense mechanism.

SuperBower118

Verified Member
I should hope that if this is added, that octopusform will no longer go through walls and the spheres of ice created by torrent.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Please forgive for reviving this thread

But heck - not much activity is going around this forum unlike last year, so why not I make the most of it? I might even put some soul back into these forum, lol.

I think octopusform fit to have an alternative grab function of waterarms, than the pull one (waterarms imo should be non-multiability, but on its own pull and grapple, while switching binds to torrent|watermanipulation|iceblast should activate the respective spear|punch|freeze).

Though I love the crouch drawback. Please leave it and don't touch it .-. Knockback should be the one to be gone!

How about the octy switching to icebullet, when the "water reusement" concept is introduced? Like you would hold crouch, then switch to waterbubble (wraps you in hollow waterdome), phasechange left-click - freezes, then you utilize iceblast to launch spike if you wish to or just leave at that and use it as a camp shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.