• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

New Earthbending Abilities/Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

Introduction:
To start off this post, I would like to present two of the following abilities that I think should be edited to make earthbending more efficient. These two abilities are "Raiseearth" and "Collapse". These moves do work well at the moment, and many earthbenders like to use Raiseearth as a shield or a barrier to have a quick "get-away". What I am proposing is that we link these two abilities together, and then add another ability, that way an earthbenders hotbar is not so crowded.

Background:
Project korra has been able to utilize the left-click as well as the right-click features on the computer mouse, as demonstrated in the left-right clicking motion from Ice Bullet (a move suggested by myself). I believe we can use these features to combine RaiseEarth and Collapse. This is my suggested method of doing this:

New Changes:
The new change that I am recommending for Project korra, is to combine two great abilities into one so we can add new abilities for earthbenders. If we have too many abilities, many earthbenders will not be able to use them all! The new change I am recommending is as follows:

- Earth Wall - This ability is the combined form of RaiseEarth and Collapse. With this ability, you can raise walls/columns of earth or collapse them by having the convenience of only one ability.
- (Left Click) an earth block to raise a column of earth (
1 block wide, 6 blocks high)
- (Left Click Then Shift) an earth block to lower a column of earth (
1 block wide, 6 blocks high)
- (Shift) an earth block to raise a wall of earth (
6 blocks wide, 6 blocks high)
- (Shift Then Left Click) Click an earth block to lower a wall of earth (
6 blocks wide, 6 blocks high)

New Ability:
By combining the moves RaiseEarth and Collapse, I feel like we can add another similar move that has been used multiple times in bending, but has never been added into Project Korra. The only similar abilitys that I can think of that relate to this one are Shockwave and Surge. Respectively, I think it would be appropriate to call this move "EarthSurge" since it was the combined thought of shockwave and surge that gave me this idea. This is how the ability (in my opinion) should work:

- EarthSurge - This ability allows and earthbender to push or pull walls of earth towards them or away from them. This ability gives both offensive and defensive purposes. If a thrown wall hits a targeted user or a group of users, the users will recieve a damage of 2 hearts. (it is a wall of earth..)
- (Left Click) to push a wall of earth away from you (
wall size: 4 blocks wide, 3 blocks high)
- (Shift) to pull a wall of earth towards you (

Conclusion:
By having the new ability "EarthSurge", as well as the combined features from RaiseEarth and Collapse in one single move (EarthWall), earthbending can become more realistic as demonstrated by Lin Bei Fong:

I Hope you guys enjoyed reviewing this Suggestion and if you have any comments or suggestions of your own, please feel free to do so! Constructive Criticism is a great thing!

- Fuzzy (Jake)

Last edited:
V

Vidcom

We can't track right clicks without an item in hand or if it's on a block. Fix that part and then without a doubt I'm approving this

Zafkiel

Exactly what I always wanted to suggest but never has the gut for it :D particularly Earthsurge but , to be realistic I don't think they will add this move they will certainly use the argument of "Another Earthsmash" what is relatively true but I still think this would be better for defense :D

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
I don't think combining them is a good idea. Because let's say you were trying to lower a one block collumn. According to you, you need to left click and then shift. How would the system be able to determine if you are just using left click or doing left click + shift but really slowly?

I do believe there should be a combo to move walls but not combine RaiseEarth and Collapse.

HydroMan

I don't think combining them is a good idea. Because let's say you were trying to lower a one block collumn. According to you, you need to left click and then shift. How would the system be able to determine if you are just using left click or doing left click + shift but really slowly?

I do believe there should be a combo to move walls but not combine RaiseEarth and Collapse.
You can left click and hold it and then at the same time hold the shift to switch. You do

I also think that earthsmash would fit perfectly to this alternative. I think i have suggested to White Knight(Simplicitee) and he made a thread for it that suggests.

If you're left clicking and right click to raise/collapse one block, then just hold sneak and then left click/right click for the bigger earth wall / collapse

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
I still think that it would be better to keep them separate because most people learned to play with them separated, they have unique uses that should remain separate. The only reason that they are both used for manipulating terrain. It would be like combining FireShield and FireBurst because they both involve a field of fire around you. It would also be a hassle to memorize four things for one move as opposed to 2 simple functions for 2 distinct moves.

I still think that it would be better to keep them separate because most people learned to play with them separated, they have unique uses that should remain separate. The only reason that they are both used for manipulating terrain. It would be like combining FireShield and FireBurst because they both involve a field of fire around you. It would also be a hassle to memorize four things for one move as opposed to 2 simple functions for 2 distinct moves.
The same could be said with WaterWave and WaterSpout, but those got combined. Either way, it's not an entirely game changing difference (Unless you like to spam raise earth or collaspe) but it would be helpful, at least in my eyes. I find that it's better to streamline moves if you can.

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
The same could be said with WaterWave and WaterSpout, but those got combined. Either way, it's not an entirely game changing difference (Unless you like to spam raise earth or collaspe) but it would be helpful, at least in my eyes. I find that it's better to streamline moves if you can.
They combined WaterWave and WaterSpout because both of those moves only had one function.

They combined WaterWave and WaterSpout because both of those moves only had one function.
I still don't see what the problem is with combining these two moves... they're both opposites of each other and it'd be best to streamline bending as much as possible as long as it's reasonable. In this case, both moves involve controlling a vertical mass of earth in someway, and with what I suggested, it can be done. (hopefully) And in reality, you're not exactly having 4 different moves in one slot. You're having two moves combined because of how similar they are. It's just that the sneak version is a bigger version of the move.

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
I still don't see what the problem is with combining these two moves... they're both opposites of each other and it'd be best to streamline bending as much as possible as long as it's reasonable. In this case, both moves involve controlling a vertical mass of earth in someway, and with what I suggested, it can be done. (hopefully) And in reality, you're not exactly having 4 different moves in one slot. You're having two moves combined because of how similar they are. It's just that the sneak version is a bigger version of the move.
SurgeWave and SurgeWall were combined because they each had one use.

WaterWave and WaterSpout were combined because they each had one use.

Using your reasoning we should combine AirSuction and AirBlast because they both involve moving large amounts of air in a single direction. Or combine EarthBlast and EarthSmash
RaiseEarth and Collapse each have two functions which should be enough for them to keep separated. These moves are simple and easy to use staples of earth bending. People shouldn't have to memorize combos to use these moves.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer

Using your reasoning we should combine AirSuction and AirBlast because they both involve moving large amounts of air in a single direction. Or combine EarthBlast and EarthSmash
RaiseEarth and Collapse each have two functions which should be enough for them to keep separated. These moves are simple and easy to use staples of earth bending. People shouldn't have to memorize combos to use these moves.
I personally think that combining Earthgrab & raiseearth makes more sense.

Zafkiel

I personally think that combining Earthgrab & raiseearth makes more sense.
You are actually right because the two abilities have the same function technically Raiseearth and earthgrab are both raising earth but in different shapes
but we just need to figure out how we can combine them in one slot :/

I suppose that if it was possible, AirSuction and AirBlast, COULD be combined, and it'd make some sense, but then there'd be the issue of Combos. And unlike RaiseEarth / Collapse, AirBlast, I find, is used MUCH more frequently than RaiseEarth and Collapse, so then, there'd be the problem of having people disagree with the change because of how fundamental Airblast is. Here, however, RaiseEarth and Collapse I find are similar enough, but yet, not "whole" enough to be combined. If you know of IceWall, it's like that- you sneak to raise a wall, and you sneak again to break a wall, only here, it's with Earth and different controls. I also don't see how it is a big "combo" to use these moves. Using your logic, it's like saying that in Torrent, left clicking, then sneaking, then left clicking again to launch the torrent is a combo, which I suppose you can say is true, but in reality, it's just the way how to use the move. Sneaking, then left clicking isn't such a hard thing to do, is it? And while new people might get thrown off by this, the change can be easily said in /bending help

Janny

- EarthSurge - This ability allows and earthbender to push or pull walls of earth towards them or away from them. This ability gives both offensive and defensive purposes. If a thrown wall hits a targeted user or a group of users, the users will recieve a damage of 2 hearts. (it is a wall of earth..)
- (Left Click) to push a wall of earth away from you (
- (Shift) to pull a wall of earth towards you (
I... I LOVE IT! I always wanted a move that allows you to shoot columns of earth towards or away from you! I love everything about this suggestion! :D

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
I also find a bit of issue how you kind of remove collapses main function of lowering a large section of earth that's not a 1x6x6 wall of earth. I think there should be a combo that utilizes collapse as to better balance out hot bars so people don't just fill up their hotbar with all damaging or overloaded moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.