• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Minecraft's EULA

Would selling extra elements go against Minecraft's EULA?

• Yes

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Unsure

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters

Loony

I'm not sure about this. It's not like you're selling items and I don't view it as pay to win...
Thoughts?

Sorin

You have to think, would it be giving a player an un-fair advantage(or some sort of advantage)? Because if so, i'd think it'd be against EULA, but i'm not completely sure.

StrangeOne101

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Sadly, yeah, it is. It gives features that affect gameplay on a server, therefore is goes against it. Annoying, I know, but it's just one of those things ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Loony

Couldn't you be like "no everyone gets a free trial of an element, the free trial is for one million years and after that they have to pay" x3

Sorin

Another scary thing, if mojang finds a way to backport the blacklist, a lot of servers will disappear, and they will most likely add a way to report servers that aren't compliant with the EULA.

Sorin

Yes, it is sadly.
Wait, selling moves to server owners? Or selling moves to players?
If it is for players, here could be a way around it! You make In-Game currency buy-able, but make sure there is a legitimate way to get it without paying for it with real money, then you could sell the moves for in-game currency(At what ever price, you could make them very hard to get legitimately ;) ). You might lose some profit, and some players may not like it, but hey, at least if it does work, you would be EULA compliant.

StrangeOne101

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Wait, selling moves to server owners? Or selling moves to players?
If it is for players, here could be a way around it! You make In-Game currency buy-able, but make sure there is a legitimate way to get it without paying for it with real money, then you could sell the moves for in-game currency(At what ever price, you could make them very hard to get legitimately ;) ). You might lose some profit, and some players may not like it, but hey, at least if it does work, you would be EULA compliant.
Yeah, selling moves to players. If it abides by PK then yeah, should should be allowed to sell your moves (however, I'm pretty sure no such thing is allowed on the forums so it'd have to be through 3rd party means. Don't hold me accountable for this though because I may be wrong on this point as well!)

I also just checked the EULA for server hosting and it's actually not very specific; there's only about 2 lines that specifies what a server can and can't do in terms of "pay-to-win". It says you aren't allowed to sell in-game currency for real money, and you aren't allowed to sell anything that gives an "unfair advantage" but there's nothing about those things combined. Some servers I've seen no longer do this (big servers, I mean) but unless you are notified by Mojang that you are breaking the EULA I'd say you should be able to do it, since it isn't specific :p

TL;DR: EULA isn't specific, so although it might not be allowed, you may as well do it unless Mojang tells you otherwise.

Last edited:

Sketz

Yeah, selling moves to players. If it abides by PK then yeah, should should be allowed to sell your moves (however, I'm pretty sure no such thing is allowed on the forums so it'd have to be through 3rd party means. Don't hold me accountable for this though because I may be wrong on this point as well!)

I also just checked the EULA for server hosting and it's actually not very specific; there's only about 2 lines that specifies what a server can and can't do in terms of "pay-to-win". It says you aren't allowed to sell in-game currency for real money, and you aren't allowed to sell anything that gives an "unfair advantage" but there's nothing about those things combined. Some servers I've seen no longer do this (big servers, I mean) but unless you are notified by Mojang that you are breaking the EULA I'd say you should be able to do it, since it isn't specific :p

TL;DR: EULA isn't specific, so although it might not be allowed, you may as well do it unless Mojang tells you otherwise.
Just wondering, but for the Minecraft EULA. Necessarily giving players extra elements or purchasing abilities couldn't really apply to the EULA because having multiple elements I believe is difficult for the user to get used to, so they may die rather easily.

Then you get use to using the additional element, and then you improve your skill. Even so after improving your skill, couldn't you say that for elements skill is mostly needed to win? It's not really giving an unfair-disadvantages in game because many players still win against people with multiple elements. Also in the beginning stages, they weren't automatically better than everyone else at bending.

It's basically an addition to their skill that they improve, and not giving advantages to them right away.
Just curious, but wouldn't that be acceptable?

StrangeOne101

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Just wondering, but for the Minecraft EULA. Necessarily giving players extra elements or purchasing abilities couldn't really apply to the EULA because having multiple elements I believe is difficult for the user to get used to, so they may die rather easily.

Then you get use to using the additional element, and then you improve your skill. Even so after improving your skill, couldn't you say that for elements skill is mostly needed to win? It's not really giving an unfair-disadvantages in game because many players still win against people with multiple elements. Also in the beginning stages, they weren't automatically better than everyone else at bending.

It's basically an addition to their skill that they improve, and not giving advantages to them right away.
I think I see what you are trying to get at, but...

"You can: sell cosmetic items, except for "Capes", IF the item sold does not give a user an unfair gameplay advantage over anyone else on the server - i.e there can be no "pay to win""

Keyword there is "gameplay", which could also be translated to "feature" or frankly "something you have that someone else doesn't have that isn't cosmetic".

And that's ignoring the huge "cosmetic items" in there :L

(Also for reference, here is a link to the EULA: https://account.mojang.com/terms#commercial)

Loony

Thing is, the passives from each element give an advantage. It's like you're selling permanent potion effects.

Loony

What also confuses me about the EULA is that could I have something set up where you can purchase it with soft currency (vote points) or choose to buy it with hard currency, would that go around the EULA?

For example, people can buy an extra element with money, or save up their vote points and buy it?

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
You can sell them as long there is a way to obtain them in-game. And the eula never really made a point of covering plugin content.

Yatabo

"Any Mods you create for the Game from scratch belong to you (including pre-run Mods and in-memory Mods) and you can do whatever you want with them, as long as you don't sell them for money / try to make money from them and so long as you don’t distribute Modded Versions of the Game." - EULA

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
"Any Mods you create for the Game from scratch belong to you (including pre-run Mods and in-memory Mods) and you can do whatever you want with them, as long as you don't sell them for money / try to make money from them and so long as you don’t distribute Modded Versions of the Game." - EULA
It's not a mod. It's a plugin :)

StrangeOne101

Staff member
Plugin Developer
That quote must be out of date as the current EULA says no such thing (not that it affects us anyway).

If you comply with and follow the Essential Requirements (in the Brand and Asset Usage Guidelines) and Naming Guidelines above YOU MAY distribute or make available plug-ins and other bits and pieces of extended functionality etc. that you create (together, "Mods") for free and without any charge. By "Mods," we mean something original that you created that doesn't contain a substantial part of our copyrightable code or content. We have the final say on what constitutes a Mod and what doesn't. When you combine your Mod with the Minecraft software, we will call that combination a "Modded Version" of the Game. You MAY NOT distribute any Modded Versions of our Game or software, though you may distribute Mods. You may make money from Mods as described below in the section, "Servers and Hosting."

jedk1

It doesn't matter what the EULA says, because at the end of the day, Mojang will do the best they can to fuck over the people who make minecraft so popular, proving once again that Mojang do not give any fucks about their player base.

Yatabo

That quote must be out of date as the current EULA says no such thing (not that it affects us anyway).

If you comply with and follow the Essential Requirements (in the Brand and Asset Usage Guidelines) and Naming Guidelines above YOU MAY distribute or make available plug-ins and other bits and pieces of extended functionality etc. that you create (together, "Mods") for free and without any charge. By "Mods," we mean something original that you created that doesn't contain a substantial part of our copyrightable code or content. We have the final say on what constitutes a Mod and what doesn't. When you combine your Mod with the Minecraft software, we will call that combination a "Modded Version" of the Game. You MAY NOT distribute any Modded Versions of our Game or software, though you may distribute Mods. You may make money from Mods as described below in the section, "Servers and Hosting."
https://account.mojang.com/documents/minecraft_eula

Section: Ownership of our game and other things

It's not a mod. It's a plugin :)
It's still modifying the game in someway :p