• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Master benders

Taiko the Waterbender

Verified Member
Hi. Sometimes I feel like I love play against other player and learn new strategies, but sometimes, I ask myself what is a master bender in the PK plugins. Is it a person who does insta-kill? A person that isn't hit by his foes?

RobagNetwork

Verified Member
I have wondered this as well... Maybe we should review the shows? I know Tenzin got his butt whooped by Zaheer, so masters are not unhittable. They also do not instakill (at least the "masters" I've seen.) On most bending servers I go on, there is no fine line between good and bad benders, there is always benders who don't know what bending is, or how to use it, then benders who are just starting and usually spam one move, but don't use it well, then benders who can use a variety of moves, but still don't use them well, then benders who use a variety of moves well, but don't know many combos or techniques, then benders who know combos and techniques, then benders who use all of the abilities well, as well as the combos and techniques, but cannot seem to flow them together. And then I believe a master can use all of their abilities, combos, and techniques fluently, like they've been bending their whole life.
The official definition of master is - "a skilled practitioner of a particular art or activity."
But you cannot always identify who is skilled and who is not, because there are multiple tiers of skill, as I demonstrated above. A bending master does not have a certain definition, unless your server has master titles or leaders, then you can call yourself a master. But, I believe a bending master is a bender who can use all of their moves not only well, but fluently. Masters are not invincible, and I've never seen a "master" instakill, unless you're talking about in a matter of a few seconds.
So, there's no real definition of master, at least for bending.

Preston M

Verified Member
Ok, so this is how i will categorize skilled benders:

1. Quality of Proficiency-
    • Basically a master is someone who is proficient in at least one of the following attributes:
      • Manipulation:
        • Elements that can fit in this Category:
          • Water
          • Air
        • Description:
          • This attribute centers arround the ability to manipulate the battlefield, not necessarily in a physical sense but instead being able to move your opponent around and make sure they are not damaging you, this is in essence one of the hardest attributes to win with, but can be one of the most fun and exciting.
      • Speed:
          • Fire
          • Air
        • Description:
          • This is one of the easiest attributes to master, but can be difficult to survive while exhibiting this attribute, essentially you use moves that will allow you to move with ease on the battlefield. Deal damage and avoid damage easily.
      • Power:
          • Earth
          • Fire
        • Description:
          • This is the most defensive and tanky attribute. You push with the most damage you can while trying to disregard damage, I'm Talking Explosions, huge explosions. You aren't necessarily survivable but you kill them as fast as you can while tanking all the damage you can. you charge in without thought so the battle ends fast.
      • Unity:
          • Earth
          • Chi
        • Description:
          • This is the hardest attribute to explain but its essentially overwhelming someone by spamming low cool down, low damage, abilities. In doing so you deal lots of damage over time while keeping them in a panicked state of mind. It keeps them from planning and keeps you on top.
      • Underhanded Play:
          • Water
          • Chi
        • Description:
          • This attribute is difficult to perform but fun and obtuse. This attribute encompasses setting up traps, Blinding, and throwing people into traps, freezing people, setting up ice walls and harming them with them as they try to navigate through them. The more traps the better, you are survivable and do damage, but your binding set up can limit your choices if they get to close.
Mastering any of the attributes makes you a master of that attribute, to be a master in general you will master two or more of them. ALSO, just because i said an element doesn't fit here doesn't mean people cant figure our how they could fit in.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
In my opinion, a master can make an enjoyable battle. When I say enjoyable, I mean for those who are watching and for those who are fighting. When one of them is just spamming earth blast underneath you, there is no fun for the one that wasn't spamming. A 'master-bender' can make bending look like an art, not just a fancy gamemode.

RobagNetwork

Verified Member
Ok, so this is how i will categorize skilled benders:

1. Quality of Proficiency-
    • Basically a master is someone who is proficient in at least one of the following attributes:
      • Manipulation:
          • Water
          • Air
        • Description:
          • This attribute centers arround the ability to manipulate the battlefield, not necessarily in a physical sense but instead being able to move your opponent around and make sure they are not damaging you, this is in essence one of the hardest attributes to win with, but can be one of the most fun and exciting.
      • Speed:
          • Fire
          • Air
        • Description:
          • This is one of the easiest attributes to master, but can be difficult to survive while exhibiting this attribute, essentially you use moves that will allow you to move with ease on the battlefield. Deal damage and avoid damage easily.
      • Power:
          • Earth
          • Fire
        • Description:
          • This is the most defensive and tanky attribute. You push with the most damage you can while trying to disregard damage, I'm Talking Explosions, huge explosions. You aren't necessarily survivable but you kill them as fast as you can while tanking all the damage you can. you charge in without thought so the battle ends fast.
      • Unity:
          • Earth
          • Chi
        • Description:
          • This is the hardest attribute to explain but its essentially overwhelming someone by spamming low cool down, low damage, abilities. In doing so you deal lots of damage over time while keeping them in a panicked state of mind. It keeps them from planning and keeps you on top.
      • Underhanded Play:
          • Water
          • Chi
        • Description:
          • This attribute is difficult to perform but fun and obtuse. This attribute encompasses setting up traps, Blinding, and throwing people into traps, freezing people, setting up ice walls and harming them with them as they try to navigate through them. The more traps the better, you are survivable and do damage, but your binding set up can limit your choices if they get to close.
Mastering any of the attributes makes you a master of that attribute, to be a master in general you will master two or more of them. ALSO, just because i said an element doesn't fit here doesn't mean people cant figure our how they could fit in.
I like this, but I don't think a master would be limited to any of these attributes, as all benders have their own character, their own style. I think master would be more of a loose term, rather than limited to a certain set of rules, like a norm. I've seen earthbenders who fight like airbenders - which by nature is their elemental opposite, going against the norm. I'd think master wouldn't have to master an attribute or two, just know what you're doing, and execute it well.

RobagNetwork

Verified Member
In my opinion, a master can make an enjoyable battle. When I say enjoyable, I mean for those who are watching and for those who are fighting. When one of them is just spamming earth blast underneath you, there is no fun for the one that wasn't spamming. A 'master-bender' can make bending look like an art, not just a fancy gamemode.
Yeah, this is good too. When a certain bender fights, you can just tell they know what they're doing, and they're good at it. Bending is an art, and all masters are artists. I like watching air duels, water duels, and fire duels because they seem like they have a certain aspect of beauty, which I don't see in earth (I am biased because I don't like earth). Watching battles where people are stylistically beautiful can be very interesting, like watching a dramatic show.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Yeah, this is good too. When a certain bender fights, you can just tell they know what they're doing, and they're good at it. Bending is an art, and all masters are artists. I like watching air duels, water duels, and fire duels because they seem like they have a certain aspect of beauty, which I don't see in earth (I am biased because I don't like earth). Watching battles where people are stylistically beautiful can be very interesting, like watching a dramatic show.
Hmm, I can agree on that.
The server I main, has a bender, and we basically all consider him a master. The reason we do that is not because of his kill streaks or anything, but when he fights someone, you see him walking all around, and making spins and everything else you could think of. There also was a fire bender, considered a master by some of the players, but he just spammed and got many kills. It was good to see that the first person won after all :p

Preston M

Verified Member
I like this, but I don't think a master would be limited to any of these attributes, as all benders have their own character, their own style. I think master would be more of a loose term, rather than limited to a certain set of rules, like a norm. I've seen earthbenders who fight like airbenders - which by nature is their elemental opposite, going against the norm. I'd think master wouldn't have to master an attribute or two, just know what you're doing, and execute it well.
Like i said at the end, It isnt limited to the elements i chose, but it is limited to those attributes and their combos.
I play Manipulation and Underhanded play, Using fissure and other lava bending abilites i can throw people away and into fissures i set up prior.

RobagNetwork

Verified Member
The server I main, has a bender, and we basically all consider him a master. The reason we do that is not because of his kill streaks or anything, but when he fights someone, you see him walking all around, and making spins and everything else you could think of. There also was a fire bender, considered a master by some of the players, but he just spammed and got many kills. It was good to see that the first person won after all :p
Like i said at the end, It isnt limited to the elements i chose, but it is limited to those attributes and their combos.
I play Manipulation and Underhanded play, Using fissure and other lava bending abilites i can throw people away and into fissures i set up prior.
Someone should host a huge tournament on their server, where "masters" from all over the ProjectKorra community could come and prove their worth. Just an idea, of course some people would not be able to come. Then we could see all of the different masters' styles, and I would just love that

Preston M

Verified Member
I like playing with people like the first person, Two different attributes like in my list, Manipulation/Power against a Speed/Unity.

Preston M

Verified Member
Someone should host a huge tournament on their server, where "masters" from all over the ProjectKorra community could come and prove their worth. Just an idea, of course some people would not be able to come. Then we could see all of the different masters' styles, and I would just love that
That would be cool!

RobagNetwork

Verified Member
I like playing with people like the first person, Two different attributes like in my list, Manipulation/Power against a Speed/Unity.
To utilize your attribute system, I think I would actually be a Speed/Power, even though I am an airbender. I certainly know how to move around with airbending, all while being able to get close enough to chain abilities and combos. It's much easier with JedCore, if you enable AirBlade and AirPunch, and if AirSweep has a lowered cooldown.
Like you said, fighting people who fight honorably, but can still win, is very pleasing. I really do not enjoy fighting people who spam the same thing, unless it's a move like WaterManipulation of EarthBlast, which is sorta meant to be spammed. It's really just not enjoyable for people to spam moves like Torrent, EarthSmash, Shockwave, AirBurst, or whatever.

RobagNetwork

Verified Member
And could be broadcast live on youtube/twitch. It would be cool to watch :D
This would be such a cool idea to execute, but we'll need a server which doesn't lag much, and can house many, many people. Of course all servers have their own configurations, which could serve as a problem. And any benders can participate in the tournament, no matter if they're considered a master. Just they'll be easier to kill if they're not master-worthy }:>

HydroMan

Verified Member
There should be judges too, to decide at the end if the winner is worth the title of the "master". Just so that the fight wouldn't unfair and cheap, If the master like spammed one move.

Preston M

Verified Member
I might be able to configure my server to host it, but idk if we would set it up like a minigame, We would also need a good arena. And I think Judges could be composed of those who arent competing that are randomly selected.