• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Fireshield! And how to make it not a complete waste of the bending gods' time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chickenemerald

Verified Member
1:Azula is like a fire master, also shift shield is fine, it could use a LITTLE work, left click though, it's bad, it should block fire moves, finally, moves that are like fire kick, air sweep, earthsmash, just any move that can hit and airshield and damage them, you can't block as u said though about the damage reduce for some, how would it reduce without some type of effect or armor

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
1:Azula is like a fire master, also shift shield is fine, it could use a LITTLE work, left click though, it's bad, it should block fire moves, finally, moves that are like fire kick, air sweep, earthsmash, just any move that can hit and airshield and damage them, you can't block as u said though about the damage reduce for some, how would it reduce without some type of effect or armor
Left click does block fire blast and the other basic fire moves.

Hero

Verified Member
Fireshield is kinda worthless.....but making it useful would make firebenders the king of bending......

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Fireshield is kinda worthless.....but making it useful would make firebenders the king of bending......
Fireshield is just fine, if you can't use it properly that's your problem. It's not a problem with the move.

DemonZardian

Verified Member
Like , I feel as if everyone is looking at fireshield wrong. Fire's most defensive move is easily FireBlast. If you look at the instances in which a firebender would block a move, they do so by striking it, and as such you have a perfectly valid defense move for fire already. When you view FireShield, you should be thinking like a firebender, the goal is to attack. FireShield does plenty of damage when paired with WallOfFire and FireBreath, on most servers this combo can do 8 hearts or more even if they don't stay in for the full tick.

Hero

Verified Member
Speaking of Wall of Fire, can anyone tell me why wall of fire likes to defy logic and burn people in water?
Like , I feel as if everyone is looking at fireshield wrong. Fire's most defensive move is easily FireBlast. If you look at the instances in which a firebender would block a move, they do so by striking it, and as such you have a perfectly valid defense move for fire already. When you view FireShield, you should be thinking like a firebender, the goal is to attack. FireShield does plenty of damage when paired with WallOfFire and FireBreath, on most servers this combo can do 8 hearts or more even if they don't stay in for the full tick.

Ron

Verified Member
After reading some of the "haters" comments, I've come to a conclusion which shows of misunderstanding between the writer and the readers...

Most common reply I've seen is (changing the wording of it a bit): "How come Fire Shield can block overpowered abilities like Torrent and Shockwave?"

Here are two questions for those "haters"
1. How come Surge's Shield Mode, (Which can be turned into ice/water whenever you feel like clicking the mouse) can block literally every Fire Blast/Earth Blast and you would be suprised even shockwaves and torrents.

Explanation:
You obviously know that Surge can change Surge's form whenever you click the left button of your mouse. And yes it blocks small abilities like Fire Blast and Earth Blast, Yes Fire Blast can explode the shield but if you haven't noticed everytime you change the angle of the shield it just regenerates (Something devs should work on). Blocking Torrents is easy... water vs water... and Shockwaves can be easily countered by turning the surge into water and aiming it straight on the floor.

2. How come Earth Grab can block Torrent, All kind of blasts, Water Manipulations, Surges, and all Air abilities?

Explanation:
Earth Grab is regenable like Surge (By spamming it) It blocks every single move stated above (in question 2 for the lazy readers). Earth Grab is not even a shield, It's just a simple wall that goes around you...

I would like to state that I didn't include air because we all know what they are capable of.

I can agree with the thread, But I would like to put another point to think of, Which is why firebending burns? I've never seen in TLA/TLOK that any of the simple fire blast victims got set on fire. It interrupts me personally because when a player burns in minecraft it covers half of his screen with this fire effect, Some people have their own mental problems and this moving red/orange fire effect can put them into pressure and make them lose the fight. (expecting the haters to reply).

jedk1

I can agree with the thread, But I would like to put another point to think of, Which is why firebending burns? I've never seen in TLA/TLOK that any of the simple fire blast victims got set on fire. It interrupts me personally because when a player burns in minecraft it covers half of his screen with this fire effect, Some people have their own mental problems and this moving red/orange fire effect can put them into pressure and make them lose the fight. (expecting the haters to reply).
it was decided in this thread that burning is an integral part of minecraft and so it should be kept like that:
http://projectkorra.com/forum/threads/firebending-rpg-no-fire-damage.2426/

FearlessPie121

Verified Member
(DO NOT REPLY TO THIS THREAD IF YOU HAVE NOT READ EVERY SINGLE WORD OF THE ENTIRE THREAD)
I think EVERYONE can agree fireshield is one of the weakest fire moves to date. All this ability even does is block out fireblast and maybe some firebending moves. Now I know that fire shouldn't be a defensive element, but give it at least SOME defense!
Why this is canon to the show: Remember when in Avatar the last Airbender Book 2: Earth the episode "The Chase"? Well at the near end of the episode, Azula struck Iroh with fire, and Iroh went down. Then Aang used airblast, Katara used watermanipulation (or waterwhip), Toph used earthblast, Zuko used fireblast, and Sokka threw his TRUSTY BOOMERANG towards Azula and she used fireshield to deflect every single one of the those attacks. This proves that fire CAN be defensive at times. Also, it should be able to deflect projectiles a.k.a arrows as it deflected Sokka's TRUSTY BOOMERANG.
What fireshield should deflect:
For Airbending:
-Airblast
-Airbreath
-Airsweep (NOTE: FOR THOSE CONFUSED, NOT AIRSWIPE, THE COMBO AIRSWEEP)
For Waterbending:
-Watermanipulation
-Torrent (Whip) (NOTE: IT SHOULD NOT DEFLECT THE ENTIRE TORRENT WHIP, IT WOULD SHORTEN THE DAMAGE OF THE TORRENT WHIP)
-
Torrent (Wave) (NOTE: IT SHOULD NOT DEFLECT THE ENTIRE TORRENT WAVE, IT WOULD SHORTEN THE KNOCKBACK TAKEN BY THE TORRENT WAVE)
-Surge (Wave) (NOTE: IT SHOULD NOT DEFLECT THE ENTIRE SURGE WAVE, IT WOULD SHORTEN THE KNOCKBACK TAKEN BY THE SURGE WAVE)
For Earthbending:
-Earthblast
-Shockwave (NOTE: IT SHOULD NOT DEFLECT THE ENTIRE SHOCKWAVE, IT WOULD SHORTEN THE DAMAGE TAKEN BY THE SHOCKWAVE)
-Earthsmash (NOTE: IT SHOULD NOT DEFLECT THE ENTIRE EARTHSMASH, IT WOULD SHORTEN THE DAMAGE TAKEN BY THE EARTHSMASH)
For Firebending:
-Fireblast (Both regular AND charged)
-Combustion (NOTE: IT SHOULD NOT DEFLECT THE ENTIRE COMBUSTION, IT WOULD SHORTEN THE DAMAGE AND THE EXPLOSION RANGE OF THE COMBUSTION)
-
Firewheel (The firecombo)
-Firespin (The firecombo)
-Firekick (The firecombo)

Why its not OP: Most firebenders to date rarely defensively use fire. And it is near to impossible to predict the move the opponent is going to use before even getting the chance to deflecting it with fireshield. Exceptions: Psychics, or hackers (Quick Tip!: BAN THE HACKERS -_-).

Credits for this thread: KylarThorne with his Airshield upgrading thread (Thanks KylarThorne! :D)
(DO NOT REPLY TO THIS THREAD IF YOU HAVE NOT READ EVERY SINGLE WORD OF THE ENTIRE THREAD)
Do I get an award for not reading every word or am I gonna get energy-bended by Mist and be banished to the Fog Of The Lost Souls

Unionjackjz1

Verified Member
**I'm not hating on this idea, I'm improving (in my opinion) on it.**
I'm going to take a little bit of a different approach here, I haven't read any of the comments, so sorry if this has been said already. (Looking back now I saw that @Easte basically said what I'm going to say, I hope, I'm going to clarify it)

I was looking at the gifs in this thread. They all have 2 things in common:
1. They are all blocking attacks (AKA They are being a defense)
2. They are all defensive, offensively

In all of the gifs, it is clear that everyone is defending themselves with quick jabs or punches (Or bending the flames away) rather than seeing it coming and putting up an earth wall. @Easte said that "we should focus on completely re-constructing the way fire shield is." In all of the gifs, this defensive thing isn't a shield. They are using their fire bending to quickly "Punch" or "Jab" (Examples) the object coming towards them away. I can't tell you what episode this was in, but I recall seeing someone bending an area of fire and letting the object go into it, blocking it.

I think fire shield should have a resist to make it more like the show, as circling yourself in fire wouldn't be a great idea, and there are better ways to do it.

Good job on the idea @Janny :p

Janny

Verified Member
I like this idea. Fire shield is only good for the combo's, people rarely use it any other time.

I have one problem with your post.
"And it is near to impossible to predict themove the opponent is going to use"
Maybe for you sir, but do not speak for the bending gods. (;
Eh, its not as hard for me since I can figure out peoples' strategies now. :p

StrangeOne101

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Love the idea, can't believe I haven't seen it before XD! Totally agree with you in every aspect of it, though. This would be a great addition to PK :D

Status
Not open for further replies.