• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Fireshield! And how to make it not a complete waste of the bending gods' time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janny

Verified Member
(DO NOT REPLY TO THIS THREAD IF YOU HAVE NOT READ EVERY SINGLE WORD OF THE ENTIRE THREAD)
I think EVERYONE can agree fireshield is one of the weakest fire moves to date. All this ability even does is block out fireblast and maybe some firebending moves. Now I know that fire shouldn't be a defensive element, but give it at least SOME defense!
Why this is canon to the show: Remember when in Avatar the last Airbender Book 2: Earth the episode "The Chase"? Well at the near end of the episode, Azula struck Iroh with fire, and Iroh went down. Then Aang used airblast, Katara used watermanipulation (or waterwhip), Toph used earthblast, Zuko used fireblast, and Sokka threw his TRUSTY BOOMERANG towards Azula and she used fireshield to deflect every single one of the those attacks. This proves that fire CAN be defensive at times. Also, it should be able to deflect projectiles a.k.a arrows as it deflected Sokka's TRUSTY BOOMERANG.
What fireshield should deflect:
For Airbending:
-Airblast
-Airsweep (NOTE: FOR THOSE CONFUSED, NOT AIRSWIPE, THE COMBO AIRSWEEP)
For Waterbending:
-Watermanipulation
-Torrent (Whip) (NOTE: IT SHOULD NOT DEFLECT THE ENTIRE TORRENT WHIP, IT WOULD SHORTEN THE DAMAGE OF THE TORRENT WHIP)
-
Torrent (Wave) (NOTE: IT SHOULD NOT DEFLECT THE ENTIRE TORRENT WAVE, IT WOULD SHORTEN THE KNOCKBACK TAKEN BY THE TORRENT WAVE)
-Surge (Wave) (NOTE: IT SHOULD NOT DEFLECT THE ENTIRE SURGE WAVE, IT WOULD SHORTEN THE KNOCKBACK TAKEN BY THE SURGE WAVE)
For Earthbending:
-Earthblast
-Shockwave (NOTE: IT SHOULD NOT DEFLECT THE ENTIRE SHOCKWAVE, IT WOULD SHORTEN THE DAMAGE TAKEN BY THE SHOCKWAVE)
-Earthsmash (NOTE: IT SHOULD NOT DEFLECT THE ENTIRE EARTHSMASH, IT WOULD SHORTEN THE DAMAGE TAKEN BY THE EARTHSMASH)
For Firebending:
-Fireblast (Both regular AND charged)
-Combustion (NOTE: IT SHOULD NOT DEFLECT THE ENTIRE COMBUSTION, IT WOULD SHORTEN THE DAMAGE AND THE EXPLOSION RANGE OF THE COMBUSTION)
-
Firewheel (The firecombo)
-Firespin (The firecombo)
-Firekick (The firecombo)

Why its not OP: Most firebenders to date rarely defensively use fire. And it is near to impossible to predict the move the opponent is going to use before even getting the chance to deflecting it with fireshield. Exceptions: Psychic Abilities, or Hackers (Quick Tip!: BAN THE HACKERS -_-).

Credits for this thread: KylarThorne with his Airshield upgrading thread (Thanks KylarThorne! :D)
(DO NOT REPLY TO THIS THREAD IF YOU HAVE NOT READ EVERY SINGLE WORD OF THE ENTIRE THREAD)

Last edited:

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
While I agree that FireShield needs to be reworked, but not as OP to stopping torrent and earth moves.

Also, how come every time you suggest an edit to a move, you insult it, and the devs acting like they're dumb for not considering your ideas.

Last edited:

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Then Aang used airblast, Katara used watermanipulation (or waterwhip), Toph used earthblast, Zuko used fireblast, and Sokka threw his TRUSTY BOOMERANG towards Azula and she used fireshield to deflect every single one of the those attacks. This proves that fire CAN be defensive at times. Also, it should be able to deflect projectiles a.k.a arrows as it deflected Sokka's TRUSTY BOOMERANG.
You forgot to mention that she was using bluefire, which is hotter than normal fire and could do these things faster than normal fire:
Virtually burn the air into too small of particles to be felt.
Evaporate the water.
Turn the stone to dust/ash
Block normal fire.
Deflect a boomerang with the motion.

Janny

Verified Member
While I agree that FireShield needs to be reworked, but not as OP to stopping torrent and earth moves.

Also, how come every time you suggest an edit to a move, you insult it, and the devs acting like they're dumb for not considering your ideas.
First of all, where did you get the idea I am taking the insult for the move and direct it towards the devs? I understand they made the move, but they need to rework it a bit if not its too useless. Also, I don't think you read the entire thread. Where it says "-Torrent", there is a NOTE in bold. If I put something in bold that should be something you DEFINITELY need to read. If your too lazy to read it, here is what happens when torrent touches the reworked fireshield, "-Torrent (Whip) (NOTE: IT SHOULD NOT DEFLECT THE ENTIRE TORRENT WHIP, IT WOULD SHORTEN THE DAMAGE OF THE TORRENT WHIP)". If a whip of water touched a giant sphere of fire, it would AT LEAST shorten the amount of pressure the whip would cause.

Janny

Verified Member
You forgot to mention that she was using bluefire, which is hotter than normal fire and could do these things faster than normal fire:
Virtually burn the air into too small of particles to be felt.
Evaporate the water.
Turn the stone to dust/ash
Block normal fire.
Deflect a boomerang with the motion.
Its still firebending. And I do not think plugins can change particle colors (DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THAT). Just please ignore the fact she used blue flame. Its going to interfere with this thread. Also, a large fire sphere could be very powerful and powerful enough to deflect these attacks.

Moonelight

Verified Member
Ok, so in my opinion we could all be able to say that we don't have as much proof of a Fire Shield for regular firebenders. Most of the time firebenders use a blocking motion:

Other examples include:

So in my personal opinion, I think we should focus on completely re-constructing the way fire shield is.
This kind of motion involves blocking water/earth too, I just didn't know what to look up for a gif.

HydroMan

Verified Member
-Shockwave (NOTE: IT SHOULD NOT DEFLECT THE ENTIRE SHOCKWAVE, IT WOULD SHORTEN THE DAMAGE TAKEN BY THE SHOCKWAVE)
-Earthsmash (NOTE: IT SHOULD NOT DEFLECT THE ENTIRE EARTHSMASH, IT WOULD SHORTEN THE DAMAGE TAKEN BY THE EARTHSMASH)
So "logicial". How come fire would deflect these moves?

Janny

Verified Member
So "logicial". How come fire would deflect these moves?
Guys, do you not read the (NOTES)? It does not block the move! For Torrent, Shockwave, EarthSmash, and Combustion, it shortens the damage taken by it but does not deflect the move!

HydroMan

Verified Member
Guys, do you not read the (NOTES)? It does not block the move! For Torrent, Shockwave, EarthSmash, and Combustion, it shortens the damage taken by it but does not deflect the move!
I have read it .It's the note that doesnt make sense.I think esmash and shockw should go pass throught the fireshield with no resistence by their mass and size as fire is not solid enought to handle or even reduce its force

Last edited:

Janny

Verified Member
I have read it .It's the note that doesnt make sense.I think esmash and shockw should go pass throught the fireshield with no resistence by their mass and size as fire is not solid enought to handle or even reduce its force
It would go through! I never said it wouldn't. I said it would go through and shorten the damage. Even though earth can be extremely resilient to fire, it would at least do a bit of damage to the rock.

HydroMan

Verified Member
It would go through! I never said it wouldn't. I said it would go through and shorten the damage. Even though earth can be extremely resilient to fire, it would at least do a bit of damage to the rock.
Ik that you said that ,i just gave an example why its damage shouldn't be reduced ,as the shockwave or earthsmash can be maded from either stone or sandstone ,has i think it would be logical to have damage by it as the fire cant melt it

paliate

Verified Member
Seems like fire shield is on the low end, kindof like all of the shields really.
Airshield is easily broken through.
Fireshield is a joke.
Surge isn't even used as a shield by most benders.

I feel like defense as far as shields go is lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.