• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Falling Passive change for waterbenders

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know when earthbenders fall on their mother element from a fatal height, but just in time saved themselves by turning the ground into sand? I'm thinking the same principle could be applied for waterbenders.

When a waterbender is falling and has a risk in killing or injuring himself, from a certain small radius (i.e 3 blocks) in height where the ice is situated from the bender, it will melt into water. This gives a bit realistic look with a logic that waterbenders aren't okie dokie without leg becoming broken upon impact with ice, because I'm pretty sure a bender can't make ice soft. With ice turning into water right before the complete fall makes a lot more sense.

Kiam

I don't think this is a bad idea. I think that fall damage evasion should really be looked at as a whole and reworked.

BryanPlays

I don't think this is a bad idea. I think that fall damage evasion should really be looked at as a whole and reworked.
I completely agree. I find it annoying that a firebender only has one move that can negate fall damage. Chi just has to sprint to negate fall damage. Air doesn't have to worry about it at all. Water can fall on ice without worry. Even earth can take no fall damage just by falling on earth.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
I completely agree. I find it annoying that a firebender only has one move that can negate fall damage. Chi just has to sprint to negate fall damage. Air doesn't have to worry about it at all. Water can fall on ice without worry. Even earth can take no fall damage just by falling on earth.
Chi lost that passive in the latest update (or that might be in the next version)

Loony

Pretty sure that WaterBender's don't take fall damage on ice currently but there should be some sort of animation to match this, looking into.

What do you think about the idea for the ice to turn into water. Since in minecraft, you can jump from a very sky into a puddle and land in it unharm, so that would make sense from the vanilla perspective.

I think it's a great way of making it realistic but it I think after a while it would just become a nuisance and the waterbender will be avoiding ice when falling. I think if this was to become a passive it would deffinately need a toggle effect. Other than that great suggestion:)

will be avoiding? They are already avoiding it, when they fall on ice - the falldamage is nullified. This threads only suggests to add an animation for the ice to turn into water upon's fall in it.

will be avoiding? They are already avoiding it, when they fall on ice - the falldamage is nullified. This threads only suggests to add an animation for the ice to turn into water upon's fall in it.
Yet when the effect is applied you will fall in water for a brief moment slowing you and forcing you into water. The passive will either have to have a toggle or simply make a cute particle effect

Well it happens before they land onto ice. For example, if they are 3 blocks away from the ice before their feet can touch it, it will quickly melt and the player will be dropped into the pool.

To prevent flooding (there might be ice above the ground surrounded only with air), the blocks will turn into water puddle, and will shrink down until it disappears or will revert back to ice if the option revert is set on true.

Covellite

In addition to this maybe if you're about to fall onto land, water from about 2-5 blocks away can move passively under you and save you from fall damage?

In addition to this maybe if you're about to fall onto land, water from about 2-5 blocks away can move passively under you and save you from fall damage?
Then we have this issue that now, even water has a falling passive. Honestly, falling passives do need to be reworked to the point where if you get hit while falling, you need to have some penalty. If we gave water a falling passive, then we have this particular issue
Charges WaterWave -> IceWave -> IceWave up into the air so you don't get hit -> The Passive saves you despite you doing nothing to stop the fall damage

Solution for that issue would be to apply long cooldown for waterspout (seen in a thread suggesting similar feature and I agree it should function with that ability).

Status
Not open for further replies.