• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Denied Earthsmash Counter

NickC1211

Verified Member
Basically if an earthbender is on collapse and holds shift 2 sec or so before an earthsmash hits them and clicks on it, the earthsmash will break and have the kind of exploding falling block animation. Earthbenders will still have the option of redirecting it but I feel as though this embodies earthbending better with the whole stand your ground thing.

Earth should also be able to break an earthsmash that another bender is holding for blast damage.

Last edited:

Madocean

Verified Member
Basically if an earthbender is on collapse and holds shift 2 sec or so before an earthsmash hits them and clicks on it, the earthsmash will break and have the kind of exploding falling block animation. Earthbenders will still have the option of redirecting it but I feel as though this embodies earthbending better with the whole stand your ground thing.
As soon as i saw "earthsmash counter" I thought exploding. Brilliant.

I do have some suggestions regarding the depth actually of this concepts mechanics. Maybe upon exploding, entities are thrown every which way that cause damage, these entities can be guided using earthshard? I think that'd make this perfect.

NickC1211

Verified Member
As soon as i saw "earthsmash counter" I thought exploding. Brilliant.

I do have some suggestions regarding the depth actually of this concepts mechanics. Maybe upon exploding, entities are thrown every which way that cause damage, these entities can be guided using earthshard? I think that'd make this perfect.
That would be cool so there is like blast damage if people are too close and knocks them back

Last edited:

NickC1211

Verified Member
I also want I make it so that you can break it when someone is holding it like when Korra and kuvira fought like:

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Earth should also be able to break an earthsmash that another bender is holding for blast damage.
Perhaps knockback damage only? EarthB really lacks of those exclusive attacks and it has little/no that deal only knockback. Also, korra wasn't hurt, she just collapse after it disintegrated.
EarthShard isn't a stock ability. You'll have to ask Jedk1 to implant that.

Madocean

Verified Member
Perhaps knockback damage only? EarthB really lacks of those exclusive attacks and it has little/no that deal only knockback. Also, korra wasn't hurt, she just collapse after it disintegrated.

EarthShard isn't a stock ability. You'll have to ask Jedk1 to implant that.
Never realised shard wasnt a stock move, I really think it should be, its amazingly balanced. Anyways, that doesnt matter too much because it could be earthblast or something. I do think the explosion should do damage aswell, the same way charged fireblast does, like it just adds an aoe to the damage of a regular smash.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
I do think the explosion should do damage aswell, the same way charged fireblast does, like it just adds an aoe to the damage of a regular smash.
It would just discourage an earthbender for grabbing the earthsmash at all. I don't think it should deal damage. If you want damage, just earthblast from it.

Madocean

Verified Member
It would just discourage an earthbender for grabbing the earthsmash at all. I don't think it should deal damage. If you want damage, just earthblast from it.
I mean, it should cause damage, but be sourceable, as to prevent that effect. In being sourceable, it creates an opening for counter attack actually, discouraging exploding as an offensive measure in the first place. I think the goal is to make it a defensive option.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
I mean, it should cause damage, but be sourceable, as to prevent that effect. In being sourceable, it creates an opening for counter attack actually, discouraging exploding as an offensive measure in the first place. I think the goal is to make it a defensive option.
The Second you grab, the straight away you'll get damage guaranteed too often. Kuvira counter didn't hurt korra. It just overwhelmed her.

NickC1211

Verified Member
The Second you grab, the straight away you'll get damage guaranteed too often. Kuvira counter didn't hurt korra. It just overwhelmed her.
I think it should just be knockback but also you have to charge collapse for a few seconds then click at the earthsmash. You also can be super far away so I think it can work.

Madocean

Verified Member
Well, if it had the force to knock her down, i'm sure it could hurt her to some capacity... I'd just like to see some expansion on the mechanics of such a move. Depth in utility creates depth in fighting mechanics.

Last edited:

NickC1211

Verified Member
Well, if it had the force to knock her down, i'm sure it could hurt her to some capacity... I'd just like to see some expansion on the mechanics of such a move. Depth in utility creates depth in mechanics.
Yea earth really doesn't have much stand your ground aspect to it

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Well, if it had the force to knock her down, i'm sure it could hurt her to some capacity... I'd just like to see some expansion on the mechanics of such a move. Depth in utility creates depth in fighting mechanics.
You'd have still balance it out. Players can easily get hang of it. Like with IceWall, every earthbender would start it disingtetating earthsmashs just do deal damage regardless whenever its grabbed or not. EarthSmash is a really big projectile, and I feel like it would discourage every earthbender for grabbing it to the point it would make it ever more a situational occurence.

Išsiųsta naudojantis SM-G313HN Tapatalk 4 Lt

Madocean

Verified Member
I think it should just be knockback but also you have to charge collapse for a few seconds then click at the earthsmash. You also can be super far away so I think it can work.
I dont think you should be able to do it from far. That
You'd have still balance it out. Players can easily get hang of it. Like with IceWall, every earthbender would start it disingtetating earthsmashs just do deal damage regardless whenever its grabbed or not. EarthSmash is a really big projectile, and I feel like it would discourage every earthbender for grabbing it to the point it would make it ever more a situational occurence.

I do agree and I think it's still necessary to make it situational, I'll expand on this notion. Maybe theres a certain range you have to be within to do this, maybe it's a combo with a long cd, maybe it can only be done every few uses etc. There are ways to deal with that.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
I still think it should deal only knockback, because there is only a mixture of two and not indepented. At the very least: configurable knockback and damage value.

Madocean

Verified Member
I still think it should deal only knockback, because there is only a mixture of two and not indepented. At the very least: configurable knockback and damage value.

I just dont see what knockback would really do, earthblast already deals knockback, like tons, unless its actually DAMPENING the knockback, so that you can position or something.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
I just dont see what knockback would really do, earthblast already deals knockback, like tons, unless its actually DAMPENING the knockback, so that you can position or something.
Not everything should be damage depentend ;) Take Surge and the whole airbending in general as an example. They deal only knockback (excluding airswipe and velocity damage).

Loony

Verified Member

I'm denying this, but it doesn't mean we won't implement it in the future. Read below:

This is not something that can be added for just one move. This is a system that needs to be in place for the entire skill set of Earthbending and it would not work unless we redesigned all of Earth's abilities to fit this play style. We cannot just add instant counter / blocks to a move that's this easily without having some sort of reform to other abilities to balance the counter out - which then means the entirety of Earthbending needs to be changed. Personally, I would love Earthbending to be this back and forth defensive element, but as Earth stands in the plugin right now; it's not possible.

- Left open for further discussion.