• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Dynamic Water/Earth Sourcing

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaK

Verified Member
Currently, for water and earth you must select your source before you may use (most) abilities. In the show, this is not the case. I have devised a much simpler and more efficient method for water and earth sourcing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dynamic Sourcing Passive
Element: Earth/Water

Description: When using Earth and Water moves that require a selected source, the move will locate a source within a configurable radius of the player using the ability.

For Waterbending, it will prioritize between the blocks, choosing which one is more important. Here is more information on the rules it will follow:
  • It will not choose a source beyond the configurable amount specified.
  • This is the prioritized radius the source will select from (measured in blocks, and starting from most prioritized to least): 3, 4, 5, 2, 1. (If this is confusing to you, tell me and I will clarify.)
  • It will not use blocks that do not have air above them.
  • This is the prioritized block the source will select from, assuming there are multiple blocks in the same range (starting from most prioritized to least): Water, Ice, Snow, Plant.
  • If there are multiple blocks on the highest priority, it will choose randomly between the blocks.
  • If the ability requires a certain block type, it will use that block type.
  • This doesn't apply to SurgeWave, WaterBubble, IceSpike, PhaseChange, HealingWaters, WaterSpout (Does work for WaterSpout Wave or whatever its called), and Bloodbending.
  • If you think up anything else to add here, let me know and I'll add it.
For Earthbending, it will prioritize between the blocks, choosing which one is more important. Here is more information on the rules it will follow:​
  • It will not choose a source beyond the configurable amount specified.​
  • This is the prioritized radius the source will select from (measured in blocks, and starting from most prioritized to least): 3, 4, 5, 2, 1. (If this is confusing to you, tell me and I will clarify.)​
  • It will not use blocks that do not have air above them.​
  • This is the prioritized block the source will select from, assuming there are multiple blocks in the same range (starting from most prioritized to least, if the block is metal/sand and you are not a metalbender/sandbender it will not use that block): Iron, Quartz, Gold, Stone, Dirt, Grass, Sandstone, Sand, Gravel.
  • If there are multiple blocks on the highest priority, it will choose randomly between the blocks.​
  • If the ability requires a certain block type, it will use that block type.​
  • This doesn't apply to EarthSmash, RaiseEarth, Collapse, EarthTunnel, EarthGrab,Catapult, Shockwave, Tremorsense, Extraction, and LavaFlow.​
  • If you think up anything else to add here, let me know and I'll add it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading. Feel free to give any input!

Last edited:

pfm2001

Verified Member
So basically, we can use moves without spending time looking for a source if one is close enough?

pfm2001

Verified Member
Oh, thank you. I agree with this idea. Water and Earth tend to be slow because they have to select every source. I love this idea.

HydroMan

Verified Member
What kind of automatic source selection you say?
The One we have to day. Like lets say, you have a source selected, and you shift&left-click on air. You can repeat and spam as long you are next to the seletec source.

NinjaK

Verified Member
The One we have to day. Like lets say, you have a source selected, and you shift&left-click on air. You can repeat and spam as long you are next to the seletec source.
Because that still requires a setup, and slows your movement. This method is more canon and practical.

Da Psic

Verified Member
Too Op tough.
Also the benders still have to focus on the bendable thing before using it so I find the current one better.

NinjaK

Verified Member
Too Op tough.
Also the benders still have to focus on the bendable thing before using it so I find the current one better.
If this method was op, then fire and air have an automatic advantage over earth and water because they don't require any source at all.
As proven by the gifs I posted as well as other evidence from the show, no , they do not have to look specifically at it and them focus on it in order to use it.

Matt

Verified Member
I will lick boots for this to happen and of course request to work on it if it's wanted to be added (Lots of passion haha)

-Matt

Matt

Verified Member
I kinda gotta agree that it can turn out a bit OP. But hey, that's why we have a config! (Assuming this would have a config option)
I think it would be cool if we kept manual selection and added this, Like maybe the player could choose (ontop of a config option!)

But I still believe it's just as OP as air / fire's basic attacks

NinjaK

Verified Member
I think it would be cool if we kept manual selection and added this, Like maybe the player could choose (ontop of a config option!)

But I still believe it's just as OP as air / fire's basic attacks
Oh well of course, you would still use shift to select a source with this passive, and you can still select whatever block you want if you look at it.

FearlessPie121

Verified Member
We kinda just established a new dynamic sourcing for water. I kind of agree to the disadvantages the current sourcing has. The thing is: the current sourcing actually makes you rely on sources -- canon -- and it shows that at least you have some sort of concentration. If we were to do a radius sourcing like this suggestion, it would be a mess. If it prioritizes automatically, you'll have water and earth moving everywhere coming from any direction.

Although, the idea of even having this in the Configurations -- default: false -- is a pretty good idea. It'll add more variation in the configuration, but maintain the current sourcing which pleases a lot of people momentarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.