• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Community Interaction

Sobki

Staff member
Lead Developer
Plugin Developer
Hey guys, recently in shoutbox there has been some discussion on the topic of staff members and our interaction with the community. I want to make it clear that I'm writing this on my own accord, out of curiosity and my want to improve this project and the bending community as a whole.

My main question, is what do YOU guys want to see from us? I have thought of a few things that would be possible for us to do which I will list, but at the end of the day it's you guys who we would be doing it for. Keep in mind that a majority if these things would only be possible if the staff member(s) involved were willing to do so. Not like this is forced labour ..

"Give more updates"
This seems to be the most regularly said thing, however there's only so much that we can do. There's only so much work done to give sneak peaks on.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

With this in mind, the next thing that I can think of is some behind the scenes stuff.

Speed coding videos
Developers who are interested in doing so could record them working on new content and have it sped up so the video isn't hours long. This wouldn't necessary be the thing to do for general bug fixing, but new features specifically.

Development series
Couldn't think of a better title for this, but pretty much if there's something interesting being worked one (a new ability for example), then a video series could be made showing the construction of it, and the steps we take.

The two previous points would only be doable if the developer(s) working on the project are interested in doing so.

QnA
Would you guys be interested in another QnA being put onto the ProjectKorra YouTube channel? We haven't uploaded one in a while however there isn't much point if 1) we don't have questions to answer, and 2) nobody is interested

This is all I could think of at the moment, so get commenting your ideas! Remember, nothing here is official or anything, it's just me spit-balling ideas to get a discussion happening because if anything does happen in regard to this, it should be based on what you guys want.

@MeskenasBoii i did it ;)

Would you guys be interested in another QnA being put onto the ProjectKorra YouTube channel? We haven't uploaded one in a while however there isn't much point if 1) we don't have questions to answer, and 2) nobody is interested
YES PLEASE, lol.

xNuminousx

"Give more updates"
This seems to be the most regularly said thing, however there's only so much that we can do. There's only so much work done to give sneak peaks on.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Y'all have been doing pretty good with updates lately so, this isn't really a concern of mine anymore.
Speed coding videos
Developers who are interested in doing so could record them working on new content and have it sped up so the video isn't hours long. This wouldn't necessary be the thing to do for general bug fixing, but new features specifically.
The large argument would be "people won't find it interesting, it's boring." But, personally, I think it would be really interesting to see the BTS of making the plugin and hearing the inner workings of a developers mind while doing this. Just keep it entertaining with commentary and you should be good. If it gets too boring, speed up the video with some neat music.
Development series
Couldn't think of a better title for this, but pretty much if there's something interesting being worked one (a new ability for example), then a video series could be made showing the construction of it, and the steps we take.

The two previous points would only be doable if the developer(s) working on the project are interested in doing so.
Along with this, it doesn't have to only be developers showing their code. It could be builders building on the official server as well. We haven't seen much from the Official Server so who knows what's going on over there ;)
QnA
A Q&A would be awesome! Make a thread asking for questions and give the community a while to respond, I'd say 5-7 days should be more than enough.

And another thing which sort of started this all was me saying you, the staff, should engage yourselves into the community more. Right now, the community is a very serious place.... It's all about criticism and I'm sure, for some people, it can get annoying/bland/or boring at times. If you see an opportunity, uplift it! Try to keep the community from getting TOO serious and make it a bit more fun. It isn't ONLY the staff who should be doing this, the rest of the community should as well. But, since the staff are supposed to be running things, I think it'd set a precedent if it were staff who started this; just my opinion though.

Sobki

Staff member
Lead Developer
Plugin Developer
@xNuminousx With the coding videos that's what I was thinking. Either the coding speed up with some neat as music or at normal speed with what's happening being explained. Thanks for your response! Much appreciated. :)

xNuminousx

Another thing that I just thought about is that there are a lot of "ghost followers." Basically, a lot of the people just come here to see if there are updates or new downloads, and that's it. The only reoccurring people I see in the community, everyday, are me and @MeskenasBoii, aside from the staff of course. There needs to be some way to draw people in and keep them here. I don't know what that motive would be, it's just something to think about.

xNuminousx

**SUGGESTION**
Have your media team focus a bit more on YouTube. By making bending videos, you could appeal to the secret Bending community that does not play minecraft. The people who simply want to search for mementos out there over the Avatar universe. You could have them doing Bending Server reviews, show bending battles from some of the top benders of a server, do some roleplay in an avatar world, stuff like that. It'll take work but it's a way to appeal to people outside of the Minecraft community.

Okay, pretty sure this is the last post unless I have a response to another one. If I have another suggestion I'll just edit this one :p

Another thing that I just thought about is that there are a lot of "ghost followers." Basically, a lot of the people just come here to see if there are updates or new downloads, and that's it. The only reoccurring people I see in the community, everyday, are me and @MeskenasBoii, aside from the staff of course. There needs to be some way to draw people in and keep them here. I don't know what that motive would be, it's just something to think about.
Yeah, the forums are abit unactive in the recent years, but when I say it nobody believed me :/ Started thinking that I'm delusional or something, lol.

Have your media team focus a bit more on YouTube. By making bending videos, you could appeal to the secret Bending community that does not play minecraft. The people who simply want to search for mementos out there over the Avatar universe. You could have them doing Bending Server reviews, show bending battles from some of the top benders of a server, do some roleplay in an avatar world, stuff like that. It'll take work but it's a way to appeal to people outside of the Minecraft community.
I disagree. Youtube is FULL of those already, so it would be unnecessary imo (not that I'm saing you shouldn't, but...).

"You could have them doing Bending Server reviews, show bending battles from some of the top benders of a server, do some roleplay in an avatar world, stuff like that. It'll take work but it's a way to appeal to people outside of the Minecraft community."

Actually, I do recall Mist asking us, long time ago, if we could do reviews about bending servers with the following requirements and what not, and then they would import it to the ProjectKorra channel. Considering that it was a long time ago, (t)he(y) had probably drop the whole idea or forgot about it. Regardless, in my book: I think it would be a nice thing to start working on it (again?), and that would probably make the community more alive, forum-wise. I believe even SuperBower118 suggested that too, in a thread where Mist asked to give our opinion about the forum, development and the community in general. More people would be willing to contribute in the forum often, rather just report bugs and technical issues, like how it was back in ol' good times.

Hope my 2 cents are insightful to anyone who's reading this. As Sobki asked for, maybe it will inspire you to throw your ideas out as well, on how can the plugin's team 'community interaction' be improved. :)

ETA: Also, if it isn't to revealing/spoiling or anything that you guys aren't allowed to share by "The Leader(s)", but how about also showing us what's "behind the curtains" of the official server? (Of course, only if there's anything new added/change/removed since the day it got publicly closed)

xNuminousx

nobody believed me
I believed you :oops:
I disagree. Youtube is FULL of those already, so it would be unnecessary imo (not that I'm saing you shouldn't, but...).
It being the official Project Korra YouTube channel would give these videos more credibility among the bending community. You just gotta do them bigger and better.
but how about also showing us what's "behind the curtains" of the official server?
I agree. The status of the sever has been *hush hush* for a while and I am getting anxious to know what's happening :mad:

**EDIT**
Can we just admire how adorable and funny these faces are? :);):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O

An idea just struck to me... Maybe, either concept designers or devs or both, could answer questions (to the one's that are allowed; answers not too revealing), regarding the upcoming features, from the fans that ask them personally through either your wall posts page or twitter (might required each of the staff member to create their own individual if they don't have one already). I know one game industry that does that (*cough* The Sims franchise *cough*)

Sobki

Staff member
Lead Developer
Plugin Developer
An idea just struck to me... Maybe, either concept designers or devs or both, could answer questions (to the one's that are allowed; answers not too revealing), regarding the upcoming features, from the fans that ask them personally through either your wall posts page or twitter (might required each of the staff member to create their own individual if they don't have one already). I know one game industry that does that (*cough* The Sims franchise *cough*)
Or maybe in QnA? :eek:

Or maybe in QnA? :eek:
QnA imo could serve as an AFTER thingy, after the release of a plugin or its update, where it would be safe to answer any question considering that anyone can already found out after downloading the 'thing'. I think QnA should be released in a doc, rather as a video-- OR just do both, so those who feel like watching a clip could and those who don't: they could just take a quick look by scrolling through the page.

Išsiųsta naudojantis SM-G313HN Tapatalk 4 Lt

xNuminousx

Since I'm looking more into it now, I think it'd be a cool idea to do tutorials. I KNOW there are some out there already about creating a move, but I've heard they need to be updated so.... Like: "This is the basics of making the move" "this is how you design it" etc.