• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Denied Bending anti-spam config

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Inspired but not the same: http://projectkorra.com/threads/bending-burnout.2846/

IMO, a cooldown isn't enough to stop/prevent/discourage someone from spamming. Even afters a long cooldown, some still dare to continue on spamming the ability.

Ok, so I think every combat ability should have a config option named like this: NumberOfAbilitySwitches: x
This will be found under the CoolDown displayed option, before a tab.

After this new option is implanted, unless it's value is set to 0, all abilities will be put to permanent cooldown. Players will have to then switch to certain amount of different abililities and execute them each, based of the number this option is set to be.

Here's an example of a scenery. The Config option of a WaterManipulation would look like this:
Code:
Enabled: true
      Damage: 3.0
      Range: 25
      SelectRange: 16
      CollisionRadius: 2
      DeflectRange: 3
      Speed: 35
      Push: 0.3
      Cooldown: 1000
        NumberOfAbilitySwitches: 3
Now, after a watermanipulation, it will of course go to cooldown, but it will not end until I execute 3 different abilities. When that happens, I then go to think about what next abilities I should use now and after decided I go do them. I do a torrent blast, then waterwave to my opponent, and finally (as the third ability) I shield myself with surge. After doing these three abilities, the WaterManipulation's cooldown finally ends. I then go about doing it once more or just choose to do another ability.

Of course, imo - the default of Watermanipulation's should be 1, because it's a simple, basic and not so threatening attacking technique. Though, this whole new addition setting to the config would really help out the serves who have the rule "don't spam the same move", as instead of it being forbidden, it will just be absolutely prevented.

That's pretty much it. Leave a comment what you think about this ^.^

xNuminousx

Verified Member
To add on I think there should be like a NumberOfAbilityUses. Basically, to use your example, you can use Water Manipulation 3 times, then the NumberOfAbilitySwitches cooldown activates, then you have to use like 1 other ability, then the Water Manipulation cooldown activates, then when all of these steps are completed you can use 3 more Water Manipulation blasts until you have to repeat the cycle. So basically 2 new features, NumberOfAbilitySwitches and NumberOfAbilityUses

SuperBower118

Verified Member
If this is even added it should be turned off. There was a server that actually had this rule, and it was ridiculous. There's no way for one feature to cover hundreds upon thousands of different scenarios where using a move consecutively would be considered spam and unnecessary.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
If it's in the config then each server can edit it to what they think is right or turn it completely off. So there is a way for this feature to cover difference scenarios. Editable per move/element.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
To add on I think there should be like a NumberOfAbilityUses. Basically, to use your example, you can use Water Manipulation 3 times, then the NumberOfAbilitySwitches cooldown activates, then you have to use like 1 other ability, then the Water Manipulation cooldown activates, then when all of these steps are completed you can use 3 more Water Manipulation blasts until you have to repeat the cycle. So basically 2 new features, NumberOfAbilitySwitches and NumberOfAbilityUses
Nah, I think that would ruin bending completely. Even though its a configurable ability and can be disabled, config must still be balance with the defaults. Arguably, it would be like having an earthsmash deal 20hp/insta-kill by default settings.
If this is even added it should be turned off. There was a server that actually had this rule, and it was ridiculous. There's no way for one feature to cover hundreds upon thousands of different scenarios where using a move consecutively would be considered spam and unnecessary.
To who you pointing out? To @xNuminousx and his idea or mine?

SuperBower118

Verified Member
What about giving it a restriction of a maximum integer that cannot exceed? It should only work from 1-3, but if higher is added, regardless it will act as zero value.
Provided that moves have cooldowns, this again seems pointless. After 3 watermanips, I think you should get the message that the person is just spamming watermanip and you should try a different strategy. Also for moves such as IceSpike, FireBlast, EarthBlast, AirSwipe; moves that you'd typically spam for it to be effective.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Provided that moves have cooldowns, this again seems pointless. After 3 watermanips, I think you should get the message that the person is just spamming watermanip and you should try a different strategy. Also for moves such as IceSpike, FireBlast, EarthBlast, AirSwipe; moves that you'd typically spam for it to be effective.
As if they listened. The Point of this new addition is to prevent that fromte happening, because even after you tell them not to spam, they still do. Basic moves have short cooldowns, like really short, so it actually does have a point.

SuperBower118

Verified Member
As if they listened. The Point of this new addition is to prevent that fromte happening, because even after you tell them not to spam, they still do. Basic moves have short cooldowns, like really short, so it actually does have a point.
Spamming undeniably is apart of certain moves and play styles. You can't ask an airbender to use different moves if the situation at hand calls for using airswipe offensively and defensively- that's just wrong.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Then what are cooldowns are for? They certaintly prevent people to use heir own playstyle. My idea is too expand on that.

Loony

Verified Member
This concept makes things a whole lot more complicated and doesn't seem user friendly.
Cooldowns do a good job of presenting spamming and I don't see flaws in that system - it does exactly what it's supposed to do.

Your definition of spamming, to use the ability over and over without switching isn't really an issue when there's a large / moderate cooldown on the move. It isn't unbalanced nor is it effective because it's easily countered by someone who utilizes all of their abilities. On top of that, it's extremely predictable. Now, it would be overpowered if cooldowns didn't exist or had a very short time before the cooldown expired by that either isn't the case or is up to server owners to configure.

This concept isn't necessary and would worsen the bending experience.
Thread denied.

Status
Not open for further replies.