• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Suggestion WaterArms

ndude5

WaterArms is great right now, but I feel like there are a lot of features that are canon that would make the ability way more useful. Ming-Hua is obviously a great source of inspiration for this because she uses the waterarms so creatively, and I feel like a lot of the techniques she uses should be implemented. These are a few:

Grappling + Grabbing
You can already grab a player if you only have one arm left & you can grapple with just one arm, so it would make since if you could grapple while holding a player in another arm. This would make things really interesting. During group bending situations, you could climb a cliff while holding a teammate and then set them down on top. If the other player was an opponent, you could grapple up to a high spot and then throw them off, dealing a lot of fall damage if they don't save themselves before they fall. In survival situations, you could transport a horse / mule that was carrying your items over a high cliff / wall by carrying them up and setting them down safely on the other side. There would be so many possibilities if this was implemented.

In the show, when Ming-Hua saves P'Li from her prison cell, she carries her on her back and climbs out. This is a little bit different from holding her with one arm and climbing with the other, but it's similar and shows that you can climb with the weight of another person.

Hanging

I don't know if this is ever seen inside of the show, but it would likely be possible with waterbending to grapple onto a surface and then stay there. In the GIF above, Ming-Hua turns the tips of her waterarms into ice to help her climb up. If a waterbender were to climb up, turn the tips of their waterarms to ice, and then stop grappling, they could hang from that surface and punch, pull, grab, freeze, or spear with the other arm. This would obviously need to have a duration time so that the waterbender can't stay hanging from the one area forever, and they would only have access to waterarm features (they wouldn't be able to like use torrent and other attacks while hanging), but again, it would make things more interesting.

Drill

In the same episode, Ming-Hua turns both arms into a giant ice spike and drills through the ground. This would be hard to make in game, but it would be really cool (especially for survival and stuff, like raiding situations where the player could quickly mine into a base or go into a cave) if completed correctly. It could also be a move that requires no charge time if you are falling from a large height and use it (which would give players the opportunity to grapple up onto something high and then jump down and drill), preventing fall damage.

Fan? Spin? Blade? Something?

In another episode, while fighting Kya, Ming-Hua stretches out her water arms, turns the tips into blades, and spins in a circle quickly, rotating her arms and making it difficult for Kya to dodge. Waterbenders could take out multiple people with this move and get some distance between them and their opponents if they get overwhelmed.

Multiple Arms (more than 2)
In the same episode, while fighting Kya, Ming-Hua is pushed off of the Air Temple but comes back up with many waterarms. This move would probably require a full moon and lots of water for a bender to be able to use. Players could use the normal functions of waterarms, but they would be massively amplified. When punching and freezing, multiple arms would do it at the same time. The waterbender could easily grapple because there would be more than 2 arms to grapple with. Players could have up to 5 spears (maybe more or less) to use.

Apart from all of that, they would have the high ground while their waterarms lasted because in all cases that this is used in the show, 2 or more waterarms are used to lift the bender off of the ground. Ming-Hua uses this technique while fighting Mako, too.
As you probably know, Mako uses lightning to kill her because it runs through the water, up through her arms, shocks her. This has already been implemented in ProjectKorra with normal sized waterarms, but with multiple waterarms, firebenders could kill the player more easily with lightning, making it a little bit less overpowered.

This would be a really overpowered move, so I could see why it wouldn't be implemented, but it makes the bender weaker in some ways and there are definitely ways for other people to kill the waterbender while they use this technique.

Better Grab
This is a small feature that I think should be added. Currently, you can only grab players and mobs with grab, but I think that you should be able to pick up items with it, too. This wasn't seen in the show, but if it's possible to pick up people and grab onto things, it would easily be possible for a bender to pick up an item with waterarms. If it was night, maybe even allow them to pick up multiple items that are on the ground if they are near together.

So, this is a ton of stuff, but I just wanted to suggest that we add more to waterarms. This is probably low on the list of priority, but it would make it a really useful feature of waterbending.

Da Psic

Tip on the visuals.
For Hanging/climbing walls, waterarms could simply reposition upward and freeze and add an "auto wall walk" for a player, this would be very smooth and maybe let them use one arm?.
For drill you could have ice spawning and despawning rather fast under the player, kinda like if you spammed the old phasechange.
For multiple arms, you could have water blocks going diagonal up, straight right/left, diagonal down. And you could have it increase when a player shift clicks twice close to water, instead of exiting waterarms.

For the spinning, it could be a freeze addon where if you shift they would extend and freeze. The camera turn would have to be made by the player.

(this is for the sake of ,before a dev says "we have no idea how this would look in game so nah")

ndude5

Tip on the visuals.
For Hanging/climbing walls, waterarms could simply reposition upward and freeze and add an "auto wall walk" for a player, this would be very smooth and maybe let them use one arm?.
Yeah, I think I mentioned that it should let them use that. The auto wall walk feature sounds like it could work.

Tip on the visuals.
For drill you could have ice spawning and despawning rather fast under the player, kinda like if you spammed the old phasechange.
For multiple arms, you could have water blocks going diagonal up, straight right/left, diagonal down. And you could have it increase when a player shift clicks twice close to water, instead of exiting waterarms.

For the spinning, it could be a freeze addon where if you shift they would extend and freeze. The camera turn would have to be made by the player.
All good points, not sure what you mean about the shift click twice near water thing though, evaluate?

Thanks for the input, I have trouble describing how I think it should look in game.

NickC1211

Tip on the visuals.

(this is for the sake of ,before a dev says "we have no idea how this would look in game so nah")
I agree water arms should really utilize shift more. So if you’re holding shift and on freeze the arms change from ice to water except for the last block then they stretch to the side of you. Since the arms already move to face the direction you face the spinning is easy it just has to be damaging when someone touches the spinning arms. If done right this could be like an octopus form pushes back and hurts anything that comes near.

NickC1211

Or maybe it should just be it’s own slot called blade or spin. That way it doesn’t over complicate anything. Tbh we could fill up the whole hot bar with water arms moves all 9 slots could do something. Just like Finns metal cables waterarms could have really specific left arm right arm mechanics.

Grappling + Grabbing
You can already grab a player if you only have one arm left & you can grapple with just one arm, so it would make since if you could grapple while holding a player in another arm. This would make things really interesting. During group bending situations, you could climb a cliff while holding a teammate and then set them down on top. If the other player was an opponent, you could grapple up to a high spot and then throw them off, dealing a lot of fall damage if they don't save themselves before they fall. In survival situations, you could transport a horse / mule that was carrying your items over a high cliff / wall by carrying them up and setting them down safely on the other side. There would be so many possibilities if this was implemented.
Love your creativity with that.

Hanging
I don't know if this is ever seen inside of the show, but it would likely be possible with waterbending to grapple onto a surface and then stay there. In the GIF above, Ming-Hua turns the tips of her waterarms into ice to help her climb up. If a waterbender were to climb up, turn the tips of their waterarms to ice, and then stop grappling, they could hang from that surface and punch, pull, grab, freeze, or spear with the other arm. This would obviously need to have a duration time so that the waterbender can't stay hanging from the one area forever, and they would only have access to waterarm features (they wouldn't be able to like use torrent and other attacks while hanging), but again, it would make things more interesting.
Hmm this could be expanded to Grabble feature: stand in front of a wall and in a session keep switching to left clicks to right clicks on every new block as to simulate the motion and process of climbing utilizing the appendages/hands. I do wish that whole preexisting technique could be nerf so that you're unable to dash or horizontal smooth surface (doesn't really make sense and looks like their sprinting than doing acrobatics).

Also, speaking of hanging, we seen Ming-hua also displaying from pole-alike obstacles to another. Perhaps there was a way to grab a hold of those sort of poles and stay with the two tentacles holding a grasp, than using forward and backward movement keys to start sweeping.

Drill
In the same episode, Ming-Hua turns both arms into a giant ice spike and drills through the ground. This would be hard to make in game, but it would be really cool (especially for survival and stuff, like raiding situations where the player could quickly mine into a base or go into a cave) if completed correctly. It could also be a move that requires no charge time if you are falling from a large height and use it (which would give players the opportunity to grapple up onto something high and then jump down and drill), preventing fall damage.
Should make a hole thought, about the size the drill is (3 blocks tall with the top of 5x5 widthxlength )

Fan? Spin? Blade? Something?
In another episode, while fighting Kya, Ming-Hua stretches out her water arms, turns the tips into blades, and spins in a circle quickly, rotating her arms and making it difficult for Kya to dodge. Waterbenders could take out multiple people with this move and get some distance between them and their opponents if they get overwhelmed.
Could exist within Freeze technique and active upon spinning your body, i.e. sweeping your cursor to a certain direction of a 360 angle.

ndude5

Or maybe it should just be it’s own slot called blade or spin. That way it doesn’t over complicate anything. Tbh we could fill up the whole hot bar with water arms moves all 9 slots could do something. Just like Finns metal cables waterarms could have really specific left arm right arm mechanics.
I agree, it might be confusing having it paired with freeze, so a "Blade" slot would probably be best.

Also, speaking of hanging, we seen Ming-hua also displaying from pole-alike obstacles to another. Perhaps there was a way to grab a hold of those sort of poles and stay with the two tentacles holding a grasp, than using forward and backward movement keys to start sweeping.
Do you mean like this?

If so, that would be great. I don't really like how grapple functions currently and there are a lot of possibilities for it to work really well.

Should make a hole thought, about the size the drill is (3 blocks tall with the top of 5x5 widthxlength )
Yeah, that is what I meant. It would probably be like EarthTunnel and JedCore's Combustion where there's an option for the damaged blocks to revert afterwards.

Could exist within Freeze technique and active upon spinning your body, i.e. sweeping your cursor to a certain direction of a 360 angle.
I still think that Blade or whatever should be a separate idea, but this might work. It just might make things complicated.

NickC1211

Full hot bar idea
1. Left punch
2. Right punch
3. Left grab
4. Right grab
5. Left grapple
6. Left grapple
7. Freeze
8. Blade
9. Drill

We wouldn’t need and exit on slot 9 because of the shift click twice thing

NickC1211

Also if blade is it’s own slot we can make it have different functions. So normal function would look like water arms with an ice block at the end, but then we could implement the hold shift to make it fan out. This way it isn’t op because the player will be shifting in place if they want to do the spin move. The normal functionality could break certain blocks like leaves grass and webs when clicking.

Full hot bar idea
1. Left punch
2. Right punch
3. Left grab
4. Right grab
5. Left grapple
6. Left grapple
Ugh? What would the point of those duplicates it would be? Are you trying to just fill the spot that barely adds different effect.

IMO, it would be better to keep waterarms as a simple non-multi-ability ability, but each techniques changes to another through switching slots of respective ability (torrent for spear, punch for watermanip, icespike for freeze, grapple for waterarms etc), because it would feel intuitive's and make the system less complicated. Let's admit, Ming-hua could literally anything with her special armless ability thing, let it be using from forming&lifting a sphere of water out of a pool to transforming her in waterarms to a wave to be riden and surf on land. That's how I feel waterarms should be represented. Also, it would get rid of a downfall where you were stuck and limited to predefine bind positions to specific locked slots.

NickC1211

Ugh? What would the point of those duplicates it would be? Are you trying to just fill the spot that barely adds different effect.

IMO, it would be better to keep waterarms as a simple non-multi-ability ability, but each techniques changes to another through switching slots of respective ability (torrent for spear, punch for watermanip, icespike for freeze, grapple for waterarms etc), because it would feel intuitive's and make the system less complicated. Let's admit, Ming-hua could literally anything with her special armless ability thing, let it be using from forming&lifting a sphere of water out of a pool to transforming her in waterarms to a wave to be riden and surf on land. That's how I feel waterarms should be represented. Also, it would get rid of a downfall where you were stuck and limited to predefine bind positions to specific locked slots.
Honestly that’d be the best way to do it but until we can get that transformation of moves thing down I don’t see it happening