• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

How to make Waterbending more realistic to the show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janny

Verified Member
In the show, water has been shown to be used in many ways and is shown to be redirected in many ways.
Here is an example:
tumblr_m3cx0w6Crh1r6f4rx.gif
As seen in the example, Katara used a whip of water and Pakku used her whip to make a sort of slide of ice to get to Katara.
This proves waterbenders and their potential to redirect is bigger than we thought.
How this would work:
Lets say someone threw a torrent whip at another waterbender. The waterbender holds shift at the right time and clicks shooting a surge from the water in the whip that was heading towards him. Now, I know what you might be saying, "But this would make waterbending battle last forever!" No, if this were implemented there should be 2 things (You choose because it can't be both), either there is a configurable chance system that only allows this type of redirection sometimes, or the player has to tap shift at the right time to stop the water and redirect it. Now you might be also saying, "The plugin already has that!", yes that is true, but this is only with some moves and in the plugin if you redirect, you would be redirecting the same move that was coming towards you. With this, you would be able to redirect ANY damaging move and choosing to redirect it creating ANY other move. Still don't get it? Let me show a clearer example: A waterbender shoots a torrent whip at another waterbender. The waterbender being attacked would hold shift with any slot to stop the water coming at him. Then, he would switch to his Surge slot and click to shoot a wave of water with the torrent whip that was being shot at him.
There would be different ways to use another waterbender's water to use moves, here is how:
HealingWaters: Hold Shift looking at the water your opponent is waterbending, switch to your healingwaters slot and click, then the water would come to your feet and give you the regeneration.
Iceblast: Hold shift looking at the water your opponent is waterbending, switch to your phasechange slot then click, the water will then freeze. Then switch to your iceblast and click and it should shoot the iceblast.
IceSpike: Hold shift looking at the water your opponent is waterbending, switch to your icespike slot and click and it should shoot the icespike.
Octopusform: Hold shift looking at the water your opponent is waterbending, switch to your octopusform slot and hold shift and the octopusform will form.
PhaseChange: Hold shift looking at the water your opponent is waterbending, switch to your phasechange slot and click and the water would turn into ice. Tap shift and the ice will melt.
Surge: Hold shift looking at the water your opponent is waterbending, switch to your surge slot and click to make the surge wave. To make the surge shield should you switch to your surge and wait a few seconds and it will turn into the surge shield.
Torrent: Hold shift looking at the water your opponent is waterbending, switch to your torrent slot and click to make the water ring around you and it should function like a regular torrent after that.
WaterManipulation: Hold shift looking at the water your opponent is waterbending, switch to your watermanipulation slot and click and you will shoot a watermanipulation with the water from your opponent.
WaterSpout Wave: Hold shift looking at the water your opponent is waterbending, switch to your waterspout slot and click and the water will start spinning around you like it should and then let go of shift so you will do the waterspout wave like normal waterspout should do.

Last edited:

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
I see where you're coming from, but you need to keep in mind, this kind of stuff would probably be added much later, if ever because of the fact, most of the limits on our bending isn't caused by the developers being ignorant to the series, its because they want to keep things balanced for all the elements and PVP

Janny

Verified Member
I see where you're coming from, but you need to keep in mind, this kind of stuff would probably be added much later, if ever because of the fact, most of the limits on our bending isn't caused by the developers being ignorant to the series, its because they want to keep things balanced for all the elements and PVP
When did I ever say the developers were ignorant to the show in my thread?

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
When did I ever say the developers were ignorant to the show in my thread?
I didn't. But you make such generic and simple threads about things they are probably already working on.

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
Okay well I didn't know the Project Korra team was working on this already -_-.
I didn't say they were, but you just point out flaws that they've probably noticed and isn't really necessary to bring that point up.

orfeas

Verified Member
This is really good and would actually make it so the principle that the waterbender turns the enemy's power against them.Thought about the torrent,the admin has said that he does not want to make torrent block able in any way.But i am pretty sure the usage of water of other moves will be ok. I really like this suggestion though i dough it will get added D: .You did a good job explaining the consent.

IceEyes

Verified Member
I like the idea, water is the element which uses the strength of his enemy against them.

HydroMan

Verified Member
This is really good and would actually make it so the principle that the waterbender turns the enemy's power against them.Thought about the torrent,the admin has said that he does not want to make torrent block able in any way.But i am pretty sure the usage of water of other moves will be ok. I really like this suggestion though i dough it will get added D: .You did a good job explaining the consent.
@Inff
Well there is this thread that is being look into ,so maybe.. there is a chance that they might consider adding it...

Taiko the Waterbender

Verified Member
I like this thread sooo much *-*-* the most cool feature is that it only works for Waterbenders!!! That way, it doesn't disturb the "balance" between them. Also, Waterbenders would be able to help others. Let's say you are in the middle of the Black Sun War. You are a Waterbender, but your water jet was evaporated by a Firebender when trying to protect yourself from his deadly fire blast. You are no master at waterbending, so you can't take water out of air. So yeah, your are dead. But then!! Without any possibily to happen!!, you see a Torrent in distance. It is... Your friend helping you! As he is near water bodies, he brings you water through the battlefield! Then everyone dies by the comet. The End.

ottergamemaster

Seeing as waterbendings movements and control are nearly completely based of T'ai chi this should definetly be a thing for water on water. The other elements should be within in melee range to block bending moves which require movement. eg. Combustion and the breaths are not blockable move

Hero

Verified Member
In the show, water has been shown to be used in many ways and is shown to be redirected in many ways.
Here is an example:
View attachment 1015
As seen in the example, Katara used a whip of water and Pakku used her whip to make a sort of slide of ice to get to Katara.
This proves waterbenders and their potential to redirect is bigger than we thought.
How this would work:
Lets say someone threw a torrent whip at another waterbender. The waterbender holds shift at the right time and clicks shooting a surge from the water in the whip that was heading towards him. Now, I know what you might be saying, "But this would make waterbending battle last forever!" No, if this were implemented there should be 2 things (You choose because it can't be both), either there is a configurable chance system that only allows this type of redirection sometimes, or the player has to tap shift at the right time to stop the water and redirect it. Now you might be also saying, "The plugin already has that!", yes that is true, but this is only with some moves and in the plugin if you redirect, you would be redirecting the same move that was coming towards you. With this, you would be able to redirect ANY damaging move and choosing to redirect it creating ANY other move. Still don't get it? Let me show a clearer example: A waterbender shoots a torrent whip at another waterbender. The waterbender being attacked would hold shift with any slot to stop the water coming at him. Then, he would switch to his Surge slot and click to shoot a wave of water with the torrent whip that was being shot at him.
There would be different ways to use another waterbender's water to use moves, here is how:
HealingWaters: Hold Shift looking at the water your opponent is waterbending, switch to your healingwaters slot and click, then the water would come to your feet and give you the regeneration.
Iceblast: Hold shift looking at the water your opponent is waterbending, switch to your phasechange slot then click, the water will then freeze. Then switch to your iceblast and click and it should shoot the iceblast.
IceSpike: Hold shift looking at the water your opponent is waterbending, switch to your icespike slot and click and it should shoot the icespike.
Octopusform: Hold shift looking at the water your opponent is waterbending, switch to your octopusform slot and hold shift and the octopusform will form.
PhaseChange: Hold shift looking at the water your opponent is waterbending, switch to your phasechange slot and click and the water would turn into ice. Tap shift and the ice will melt.
Surge: Hold shift looking at the water your opponent is waterbending, switch to your surge slot and click to make the surge wave. To make the surge shield should you switch to your surge and wait a few seconds and it will turn into the surge shield.
Torrent: Hold shift looking at the water your opponent is waterbending, switch to your torrent slot and click to make the water ring around you and it should function like a regular torrent after that.
WaterManipulation: Hold shift looking at the water your opponent is waterbending, switch to your watermanipulation slot and click and you will shoot a watermanipulation with the water from your opponent.
WaterSpout Wave: Hold shift looking at the water your opponent is waterbending, switch to your waterspout slot and click and the water will start spinning around you like it should and then let go of shift so you will do the waterspout wave like normal waterspout should do.
Panda likes.

Hero

Verified Member
I like this thread sooo much *-*-* the most cool feature is that it only works for Waterbenders!!! That way, it doesn't disturb the "balance" between them. Also, Waterbenders would be able to help others. Let's say you are in the middle of the Black Sun War. You are a Waterbender, but your water jet was evaporated by a Firebender when trying to protect yourself from his deadly fire blast. You are no master at waterbending, so you can't take water out of air. So yeah, your are dead. But then!! Without any possibily to happen!!, you see a Torrent in distance. It is... Your friend helping you! As he is near water bodies, he brings you water through the battlefield! Then everyone dies by the comet. The End.
Yas....

Hero

Verified Member
@Janny, you are amazing. This is probably the only thread about water redirection that isnt towards competitive people. <3

HydroMan

Verified Member
I think waterbenders shouldn't have capability to redirect EVERY move into one another, because in reality just think about... A waterbender trying to turn slicing type of water (watermanipulation) into healing. Would a waterbender would be able to do this? No, a water bender would not even risk standing there in order to redirect, especally the masters of it aren't be that stupid. Maybe lets make so whenever he tries to turn surge into healing waters, the hearts of the redirecter would turn back to full whenever he gets hit by the surge. For iceblast, it could be deflected into a random direction when shifting, like how Kya did for the Ming-hua's spike of ice. Launching Surge could be reusage into octy when it is approaching you. And so on. All of this "redirections" would be written in theappropiate abilities /b h instruction.

Last edited:

Taiko the Waterbender

Verified Member
All of this "redirections" would be written in the appropiate abilities /b h instruction
I disagree with this part. I think that it should be the waterbender who discovers what he/she can do with redirection. Of course, a compiled file would show in the Wiki, but if the player can redirect big moves into big moves, small moves into small moves and OP moves deflected, there isn't that much to be talked about.

HydroMan

Verified Member
I disagree with this part. I think that it should be the waterbender who discovers what he/she can do with redirection. Of course, a compiled file would show in the Wiki, but if the player can redirect big moves into big moves, small moves into small moves and OP moves deflected, there isn't that much to be talked about.
I would want for them to discover too, but before they can discover they will be still noobies.

Status
Not open for further replies.