• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Whats Wrong With Diversity?

Hero

Verified Member
I know you guys don't want to waste your time making moves that are otherwise the same as another, but whats wrong with diversity? In the forums, if its the same, then its denied.

In the show, even though there was a lot of different moves, a lot of them were similar to one another. Water moves usually start out from torrent, but what comes next? One might shoot water manipulations out, or maybe ice spikes.

People love diversity. Whats more boring? Having two moves of the same function but different appearance? Or the same move used over and over again?

In a fighting perspective, diversity can really kick things up.
One person uses Air Scooter, the other use Air Cloud. Same function, but different appearance. One person uses Surge Shield, the other Water Dome. Same function, but different appearance.

It's like a movie. Two movies may have the same plot, but have different ways of going at it.

Even though this is a little of a rant, keep in mind that diversity is fun.

SamuraiSnowman

Verified Member
There are two issues with stuff like that.. makes it a huge plugin, and when someone goes to bind they'll get very confused... ProjectKorra doesn't want to take 6 years to load up - if a move is really similar they'll not have it.

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
Yea, not only with the amount of coding needed, and the fact that if you want your moves you can learn to code and make your own. Last, don't post a rant just because your post got denied. Learn from your mistakes and make your suggestions better.

Taiko the Waterbender

Verified Member
Two movies may have the same plot, but have different ways of going at it.
if a move is really similar they'll not have it.
So, in a matter of speech, The ProjectKorra would prefer The Last Airbender to the show because it is more:
  • Efficient;
  • Less money spent;
  • Less time watching it;
  • More money produced.
[Insert here a big question mark with Aang's face instead of the dot.]

It is true that the Project would turn much heavier, but the happiness in the players would be bigger, better, and they would want more to participate here with their opinion. Where are the Avatar fanfics based on? The show or the movie? Players, at least, me and @Hero , prefer the source to the "parodies".

ABOUT US
ProjectKorra is a place for members all across the Bending Minecraft community to interact. Our goal is to bring the world set in "Avatar: The Last Airbender" and "The Legend of Korra" to the Minecraft franchise.

PK's main goal is to bring their world to ours. One way to do it is with this diversity. Waterbenders weren't always spamming WaterManipulation. Earthbenders weren't always throwing lava at their opponents face. Chi-blockers weren't always RapidPunch overkill everybody.

From what I see, Airbending and Firebending are the Bending Arts that are more close to the show to me. But they both need more work. Air, at the moment, is very restricted to the air around them and not the air around other players.

I hope you can see our point ;)

Hero

Verified Member
So, in a matter of speech, The ProjectKorra would prefer The Last Airbender to the show because it is more:
  • Efficient;
  • Less money spent;
  • Less time watching it;
  • More money produced.
[Insert here a big question mark with Aang's face instead of the dot.]

It is true that the Project would turn much heavier, but the happiness in the players would be bigger, better, and they would want more to participate here with their opinion. Where are the Avatar fanfics based on? The show or the movie? Players, at least, me and @Hero , prefer the source to the "parodies".

ABOUT US
ProjectKorra is a place for members all across the Bending Minecraft community to interact. Our goal is to bring the world set in "Avatar: The Last Airbender" and "The Legend of Korra" to the Minecraft franchise.

PK's main goal is to bring their world to ours. One way to do it is with this diversity. Waterbenders weren't always spamming WaterManipulation. Earthbenders weren't always throwing lava at their opponents face. Chi-blockers weren't always RapidPunch overkill everybody.

From what I see, Airbending and Firebending are the Bending Arts that are more close to the show to me. But they both need more work. Air, at the moment, is very restricted to the air around them and not the air around other players.

I hope you can see our point ;)
I wasnt even talking about the movie....That was just an analogy XD

Loony

Verified Member
One issue I have with moves that are like other moves is that, it's just another pointless attack. I prefer moves that're original. That will change combat. I think having moves that do the same thing is basically pointless.

Imagine having 5 different versions of fireblast, instead of waiting for the cool down on fireblast you would just switch to the next version, spamming attack moves. That's when it becomes unbalanced.

Mist

Staff member
Administrator
Here's my take on things:

If we were to code 10 moves that were all similar to each other just because there was a suggestion for them the plugin would go downhill very quickly. Instead, we can focus on fewer unique moves that are actually worth using and making them the best they can be.

In theory, yes, we could add 100 different variations of FireBlast, and it wouldn't be all THAT hard, but eventually the plugin crosses into a zone where it's just bloated unnecessarily, and we could have used that time to work on things that actually make the plugin better.

I don't even think the movie was a fair comparison either, because the movie is the perfect example of using a lot of extra movements to accomplish the same thing and that is exactly what we are trying to avoid.

Also, I LOVE threads that make political statements in the title, pathos, pathos, pathos.

Hero

Verified Member

If we were to code 10 moves that were all similar to each other just because there was a suggestion for them the plugin would go downhill very quickly. Instead, we can focus on fewer unique moves that are actually worth using and making them the best they can be.

In theory, yes, we could add 100 different variations of FireBlast, and it wouldn't be all THAT hard, but eventually the plugin crosses into a zone where it's just bloated unnecessarily, and we could have used that time to work on things that actually make the plugin better.

I don't even think the movie was a fair comparison either, because the movie is the perfect example of using a lot of extra movements to accomplish the same thing and that is exactly what we are trying to avoid.

Also, I LOVE threads that make political statements in the title, pathos, pathos, pathos.
I wasnt even talking about the movie!

Pur3_Fox

Verified Member
I know you guys don't want to waste your time making moves that are otherwise the same as another, but whats wrong with diversity? In the forums, if its the same, then its denied.

In the show, even though there was a lot of different moves, a lot of them were similar to one another. Water moves usually start out from torrent, but what comes next? One might shoot water manipulations out, or maybe ice spikes.

People love diversity. Whats more boring? Having two moves of the same function but different appearance? Or the same move used over and over again?

In a fighting perspective, diversity can really kick things up.
One person uses Air Scooter, the other use Air Cloud. Same function, but different appearance. One person uses Surge Shield, the other Water Dome. Same function, but different appearance.

It's like a movie. Two movies may have the same plot, but have different ways of going at it.

Even though this is a little of a rant, keep in mind that diversity is fun.
THIS IS AN AMAZING RANT! <3

Pur3_Fox

Verified Member

you've already pretty much coded 10 moves with different skins and mostly the same function lol
and to solve unessisary bloating theres a config file, maybe there could be a config of sorts that would allow us to remove and/or keep certain variations, as servers vary certain servers might have larger amounts of ram spare than others, meaning they would disable the feature and keep the orginal bending moves or disable some of the different variations in the config? :D:D everyones happy

and yes, the movie had alot of waving xDDDD llol

Last edited:

Pur3_Fox

Verified Member
One issue I have with moves that are like other moves is that, it's just another pointless attack. I prefer moves that're original. That will change combat. I think having moves that do the same thing is basically pointless.

Imagine having 5 different versions of fireblast, instead of waiting for the cool down on fireblast you would just switch to the next version, spamming attack moves. That's when it becomes unbalanced.
yes because we cant already spam on a whole other level xD just put cooldowns between the variations :)
maybe jed would be able to help with the function being simular to waterarms? most peoplee are screaming for a graphic rework, this might just be the way to do it....
ok so maybe not 100 different variants but like 5 or 6 would do the trick and they would all be configurable to the standards of your server and/or your players, some servers might even make it so you can choose which variation you use by changing the area you spawn or something along those lines for rpg purposes too..

saying it would be another pointless firebending move is wrong, it would be the same pointless firebending move with a different background, you're saying firebending is pointless because most of the moves burn, knockback, block other moves and use fire particles, ok one exception is firejet but still, you're doing the same thing but with different function xD i dont understand why everyone is so dead against a graphic rework lol some of these moves are ancient haha

Last edited:

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
Combo moves like FireKick is a variant of FireBlast. Could you even think of 5 distinct versions of FireBlast? The plugin is fine in that there is at least 1 move for each purpose for each element, or pretty darn close to it. If you really feel like this is a legitimate issue, learn to code and make your own addon moves.

Pur3_Fox

Verified Member
Combo moves like FireKick is a variant of FireBlast. Could you even think of 5 distinct versions of FireBlast? The plugin is fine in that there is at least 1 move for each purpose for each element, or pretty darn close to it. If you really feel like this is a legitimate issue, learn to code and make your own addon moves.
i could think of 5 different graphic variations of the move yeassh

Pur3_Fox

Verified Member
You're complaining about the way the moves look?
thats what this posts about yes :eek: not asking for 5 different moves just variations of moves so say if u grew up somewhere else and you learnt firebending in a different way, alot of people use completely different styles to bend i just think it would be an amazing way to express that.

for example lets say a firebender grew up in the earthkingdom, his/her stance would be more stuborn like an earthbender making his/her fireblasts stumpy and flat faced (growing up around earthbenders)

a firebender that grew up in the swamp, whos fireblasts would be more precise and streamline as he/she would have had to avoid burning down the forest along with his village an what not etc.

a firebender from the air kingdom or firebenders that are from mountainous terrain would have a slightly larger fireblast as they would be used small amounts of oxygen in the air, the natural boost is because of the transition of air between the elevated state of a mountain to ground level.

Last edited:

Pur3_Fox

Verified Member
who says u cant bend bones they're strenghtnened by of calcium which is a soft grey metal :eek:, fire would be firewhips, lava would probly kill u unless you'd just hold one end in place wih some waterbending or figure out a way of holding lava in air near your body, lightning is a bit of a tricky one, but im not just wanting more versions of the same move im talking about complete graphic differences that are clear enough to distinguish,
might be able to squeeze some bloodbending arms n there too lmaoo maybe use someone elses body as an arm XD :):)