• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

WaterCombo: TidalSurf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwesi

Verified Member
This is by suggestion for waterbenders, which could add a really interesting element (no pun intended) to them.

Name: TidalSurf

Description: Combo: Surge (hold sneak) > WaterSpout (left-click) > WaterSpout (hold sneak). Ride an enormous wave of water forward at high speed. All targets caught will be swept away.

How it could work: Surge (hold sneak) should be held and then the slot should be switched to WaterSpout (left-click). WaterSpout (left-click) should target a waterbendable block and then the sneak can be released. WaterSpout (hold sneak) would cause a stream of water to orbit around the player (like it would for WaterWave in WaterSpout), and then when releasing the sneak would produce an effect similar to WaterWave but much larger (perhaps about 10 blocks above the surface), which would rush forward at the rough speed of WaterWave but cannot change direction by aiming after the sneak is released. It will be a giant wave the player rides rushing forward to any targets could in it would be hit with a knockback similar to how they would with a Surge wave. After the TidalSurf stops moving it will gradually dissipate from under the player and bring them down safely to the ground (like how WaterWave does). The ability must be triggered by a water source but it may be ridden both on and off water surfaces with the same effect. It could have a cooldown of about 20 seconds default.

This would be a really amazing WaterCombo ability to see implemented because it would look so great visually and really effective. It could be used offensively, defensively and for speed. TidalSurf seems like an ability that would realistcally show the power of skilled waterbenders in combat. I believe it would be well structured and players can really enjoy it.

I hope you like this suggestion and if you do please give your support for it to be implemented. Any helpful suggestions to make it more worthy of addition are greatly welcomed. Thank you. :)

Kwesi

Verified Member
Shift on a water source jump in front, then click surge. Already done, kinda.
This is supposed to be a polished form of advanced, large-scale waterbending that will employ the force and speed of water to produce a dynamic display of skill...it is similar though. XD

I just figure it would actually suit waterbenders a lot, but people may feel differently.

HadesDude

Verified Member
Say someone was using it to travel over an ocean, would it continue until it hit land, until the bender "lost concentration" or would it just dissipate after a certain period of time?

Kwesi

Verified Member
Say someone was using it to travel over an ocean, would it continue until it hit land, until the bender "lost concentration" or would it just dissipate after a certain period of time?
The idea is that it will continue for the set duration of the ability. Regardless of whether there is water beneath it or not. As long as the ability is active it will not matter if it travels out of a body of water. The reason I think it should be this way is so it is effective enough. Targets will spend most of their time on land rather than water, especially if not a waterbender, so it seems sensible to make it that way so it isn't so limited in effectiveness.

Last edited:

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Maybe, when you land an you press shift at the right time in torent, a torrent appears around you ready to use. Wouldn't be that OP right?

Kwesi

Verified Member
Maybe, when you land an you press shift at the right time in torent, a torrent appears around you ready to use. Wouldn't be that OP right?
It's an interesting suggestion, and it could make sense, but it might be overpowered in some respects and fine in others. I'm thinking it might be considered overpowered in the sense that I don't think any other combos instantly charge a charged ability straight after use. Other than that it wouldn't be bad at all. You could probably easily launch around 3 or more torrents in quick succession by the time the TidalSurf ends by default, ideally. It could be an interesting addition. :)

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
Sounds like a shortcut of jumping infront of surge. Also you kind of already can do this. The WaterWave version of WaterSpout

Kwesi

Verified Member
Sounds like a shortcut of jumping infront of surge. Also you kind of already can do this. The WaterWave version of WaterSpout
It is not supposed to simply act as a shortcut of jumping infront of surge, it is smoother to execute and the player is in full control of where they will go. Also, TidalSurf, unlike WaterWave or Surge jumping cannot leave the ground and cannot be steered any other way but straight forward. The point of the ability is a very powerful rush. It throws targets caught in it back very fiercely in a completely controlled and skilled fashion. This ability is to serve as an example of very powerful waterbending.

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
It is not supposed to simply act as a shortcut of jumping infront of surge, it is smoother to execute and the player is in full control of where they will go. Also, TidalSurf, unlike WaterWave or Surge jumping cannot leave the ground and cannot be steered any other way but straight forward. The point of the ability is a very powerful rush. It throws targets caught in it back very fiercely in a completely controlled and skilled fashion. This ability is to serve as an example of very powerful waterbending.
Surge already pushes people back. Also it's shortcut for moving around on land instead of using surge or WaterWave.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
I like the idea. I don't think it is the same as jumping in front of surge.
Good job! (as always c:) :)

Kwesi

Verified Member
Surge already pushes people back. Also it's shortcut for moving around on land instead of using surge or WaterWave.
Waterbenders will naturally have many abilities that can carry players (including themselves) because of their element. That being said, this ability is meant for large-scale power pertaining to powerful waterbending.

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
Waterbenders will naturally have many abilities that can carry players (including themselves) because of their element. That being said, this ability is meant for large-scale power pertaining to powerful waterbending.
They don't need large scale power. Besides have you ever used surge on a full moon? It's pretty OP.

Kwesi

Verified Member
I like the idea. I don't think it is the same as jumping in front of surge.
Good job! (as always c:) :)
Oh, thanks. :) Yeah, this ability is meant to give waterbenders a powerful and polished way of rushing forward in an appriopriate way. I mean, realistically, waterbenders wouldn't use a surge jump in the way it's currently used, but even in Minecraft I feel it's appropriate for a good rushing WaterCombo.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Oh, thanks. :) Yeah, this ability is meant to give waterbenders a powerful and polished way of rushing forward in an appriopriate way. I mean, realistically, waterbenders wouldn't use a surge jump in the way it's currently used, but even in Minecraft I feel it's appropriate for a good rushing WaterCombo.
Maybe, (If it would be a bit wider) it could be the new look for surge. Waves aren't completely vertical tho :/

Status
Not open for further replies.