• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

WaterSpoutWave should work with bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
My deal is that they're just standing effortlessly in their water waves. There's no way they can make so much pressure and keep water flowing THAT much to keep them in place and still have the spout looking like that. They would exponentially fall through the water. Although, judging by the show, that's not the case apparently. They are some how able to "walk on water." Even if it's not shown, they are standing on it just fine so... Might as well walk on it too...

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
My deal is that they're just standing effortlessly in their water waves. There's no way they can make so much pressure and keep water flowing THAT much to keep them in place and still have the spout looking like that. They would exponentially fall through the water. Although, judging by the show, that's not the case apparently. They are some how able to "walk on water." Even if it's not shown, they are standing on it just fine so... Might as well walk on it too...
Well, to me it makes sense, because when the water pushes something... well it pushes them up. If a wave catches you, well - of course it gonna take you knock you down from your standing feet. If the same thing happen upwards and it was constantly flowing like that - a person/object won't be grouded/sunken to the bottom of the geyser.

Waterbender's can't really "walk on water" in a literal sense. By your given examples, all of them were just 'standing' on spot, and when they ran/jet around - they had ice boards below their feet to keep them above the pool.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
Well the water isn't really pushing them, they are IN the flow of water. We have a lot more mass than water so water could not carry us, unless the water is up to your chest where your lungs are. When they show the waterbenders using a waterwave or even in that gif above of Katara vs Toph, they are seen moving WITH the water and you can't actually see anything pushing on them. If the water was pushing them you'd see water splashing on their backs, propelling them forward. Which is not the case because they are moving with the water and not against it. Even with currents in the ocean, things are able to WITH the currents while moving WITH the water because of a pushing force in the beginning, which is true. But it doesn't equal the same result on land. On land you have the gravity which would push you out of the water in a mid-air wave like the gifs I've shown. The more of your body that's out of the water, the harder it will be for you to stay above the water. I looked at those gifs again and did not see any "ice boards" below their feet. I just think it would require a lot of extra force to keep a body up, out of the water and that force is not being shown. You can't assume that the water is pushing them because there is no disturbance in the water. Once the water goes towards the person and pushes them, it has to go somewhere right? It would most likely swirl back to the end of the wave/spout to cycle again and be a pushing force again. Changing current near the body would result in the entity flipping around, following the current. So how exactly would they be able to just stay perfectly (almost) still? I'm just not seeing the logic, too many factors.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Actually, in some sense waterspout does make sense. I just a recall a real life example that somehow makes the "waterspout" to be true by physics : Whenever your in a public swimming pool, where they have those messaging geyser things, if you lay on them while it's active, you do somehow float above a few inches from the bottom without having to do anything, though not really you get to reach the surface of the water above.

Like I said, don't know much about physics, so my given hypothesis might not prove the logic of this ability to the absolute level.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
And no.. I'm not implying gravity doesn't exist in water... Because of the masses, human vs water, we are able to float around and not fall straight to the bottom. So, you could say "gravity" works differently underwater.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
Actually, in some sense waterspout does make sense. I just a recall a real life example that somehow makes the "waterspout" to be true by physics : Whenever your in a public swimming pool, where they have those messaging geyser things, if you lay on them while it's active, you do somehow float above a few inches from the bottom without having to do anything, though not really you get to reach the surface of the water above.
Well that geyser would be enough to push someone to the SURFACE because of how "gravity" works underwater. But once your at the surface it would take even MORE force and a flat surface to push you upwards. You can't use your feet because your feet would be too narrow. The water may push on them but because of the lack of surface area it would just zoom right past your feet and into your crotch or outwards, falling to the ground. Your back has the most surface area so that'd be the ideal place to efficiently be propelled by waters. We use the same idea when Sky Diving. Compared to the air around you, your body does not have a lot of surface area to prevent you from falling quickly. So, we use a Parachute, which will have a lot of surface area, to create Air Resistance which will in result make you fall slower.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
These waterbenders are STANDING on water... You could say that there is water keeping them up but like I said your feet dont have enough surface area to keep you up. And I highly doubt someone is THAT balanced to keep the amount of force equal on each foot preventing you from falling to one side or flipping. It'd be like walking on wire really.... If they did have this ice board beneath their feet, I think that'd be enough to keep them afloat, even more so because ice floats, but we run into the same balance issue. These people must be REALLY good at balancing... Standing on a small board of ice would be like trying to stand on a boogie board in a pool. Have you ever tried doing that? It's EXTREMELY difficult.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
These people must be REALLY good at balancing... Standing on a small board of ice would be like trying to stand on a boogie board in a pool. Have you ever tried doing that? It's EXTREMELY difficult.
I wouldn't be suprised, cause 3 out of 4 people in that universe are very agile and quick xD

xNuminousx

Verified Member
There are more people who can dance around and flip and punch and go *WHOOSH* than people who can stand on boogie boards. The likely-hood of that many waterbenders bending able to stand on something that's pushing them up with greater force than their body weight+gravity is very low.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
My point is... It's unrealistic and I guess we can't trust everything that's in the animation.... Of course it is fiction so they could do whatever the hell they want I guess.

Bumbullbee

Verified Member
Well, they're all experienced waterbenders, have you ever thought that they're carrying the water with them while directing two powerful streams at their feet? It's not like they don't have control over the water. The water isn't a boogie-board. If the water were to be a static object I can see how this would be a problem, but they're able to make the water move at their own will. If they become unbalanced in the slightest they could always direct the water to correct them, after some practice I imagine this wouldn't be hard to become proficient at. Static water would give way to feet, but bent water wouldn't act the same, if a bender were bending water around or under their feet it'd be able to support more weight. This doesn't exactly make walking on water work, as that'd take extreme precision and delicacy, but it does explain how they're able to rush around on it.

runefist

Verified Member
Can you PLEASE use the EDIT button and add the things you wanna say instead of posting 3 things in 2 minutes....

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Back to the thread, this should be applied after the posibility of the 'realistic quantity' happening in the plugin (eg. bottles shouldn't create a humoungious fall, along the sides of cushioning your fall with it). The Potential this would have is, as I said - getting out of small pits, and from earthgrab that driven you from available bendables. The Exact idea could probably be implanted torrent freeze (exchanging its current huge ice-creation aspect), by creating a ice pillar via jumping or a staircase.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
As for logic of waterspout: I gone on a wiki and asked how water spout works. One said that due to aforementioned surface tension, it allows for sustained elevation in a water spout. "Therefore when they do the initial movement, they begin and sustain that mater manipulation, both pressure and the force it applies to them. It allows them to A) Stay about it, despite gravity B) Not "flow with it" but literally be held up by a mix of force and highly pressurized water C) Not get spun in circles becuase they are talented benders. "

Status
Not open for further replies.