• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Waterbending changes/additions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sekoshiba

Verified Member
Let me start by saying that ProjectKorra has provided the continuation to my all-time favourite plugin and it's very exciting to see the features now more than ever dependent on the creativity of the community the plugin has inspired. Bending was the first plugin I played with on a bukkit server and ever since then I've played as a Water-bender.

Having played around with water-bending a lot I've noticed a couple things and would like to contribute some ideas/changes:

Water-bubble: I believe this should be toggle-able like waterspout, as far too often when switching between skills causes nearby water sources will vanish for a moment. It allows enemies to tell if you are switching skills and making it toggle-able after selection would be more discreet. The same could be said of air-bubble as they are basically the same besides effect-radius.

Healing-waters: I've seen this mentioned on the forums previously, but being able to heal from a bottle would be amazing as the only time I ever use this skill is when injured near a river or something, it'd be nice to have some more group utility.

Ice-spike: I personally think it'd be a nice touch if the spikes raised stayed for a little bit so they could be used as a water source or as more permanent/less channeling-dependent cover for the water-bender . Sort of like raise-earth and earth-blast can be used in conjunction but also as a shield and attack combo. This would encourage creating ice platforms on water instead of just bobbing in them while spamming, much like I've seen players do.

Water-manipulation: I feel that extra functionality could be added to this skill. Think of how surge has a "shift-click" and "click-shift" but on a smaller scale. Perhaps the "click-shift" skill for water manipulation could be a smaller more personal shield, much like how Katara creates small shields during the scene at the spirit oasis (See image below). Perhaps after doing this a following click would launch water-manipulation as per usual, making the traditional water-bending "counter-attack" style more viable. You could block and then attack when your opponent is vulnerable.

Katara_and_Zuko_fight.png

Octopus-form: I have always been very conflicted about this skill. It looks cool and feels pretty nice but the skill is not actually very useful apart from super-cheap CQC/target frozen already ambushes. This is another suggestion I've seen previously, but I'd like to edit it a little; I think it'd be cool if after the octopus-form is manifested left-clicking on an entity (ie.player) in close proximity causes them to be water-whipped, immobilising them until the water-bender is attacked (freeing the immobilised player) or the water-bender left-clicks, causing the whipped player to be thrown and damaged. I think the shielding ability of octopus form should also be changed so it isn't so random, I think it'd fit better if upon left clicking but not on an entity (ie.player) the tentacles in a 90 degree in-front of you would come together forming a shield for a moment, although if it blocks damage then the shield stops (as if the tentacles are severed) but the form remains.

General: Another thing I think would be cool is if water-bending could break less damage-resistant blocks, albeit only damaging moves and locked to one block being damaged at a time. It's shown in the show that water-bending can be used to cut things, but apart from Hama this always takes quite a long time or involves things that are already flimsy. (see below image for Hama's/the show's maximum object thickness for cutting)

Hama_demonstrates_her_skills.png

Regardless, thanks for reading and any feedback you may have!

Immallama

Verified Member
I like your suggestions for waterbubble, healingwaters, and icespike. They don't change too much but they definitely improve each ability (Though I wish there was some way to improve waterbubble/airbubble even more. They're pretty much always going to be useless). I also like the idea of adding more functionality to watermanipulation but I'm confused how it would work. If watermanipulation is already in route it wouldn't make much sense to click again for a shield. I also have my own suggestion for octopus form which you can see here: http://projectkorra.com/threads/octopus-form-upgrade.183/#post-1070

Last edited:

Gahshunk

Verified Member
I very much am for toggle-able waterbubble/airbubble, even if changing slots removes the toggle because I am tired of my lily pads and sugar cane constantly being uprooted I:

Sekoshiba

Verified Member
I also like the idea of adding more functionality to watermanipulation but I'm confused how it would work. If watermanipulation is already in route it wouldn't make much sense to click again for a shield.I also have my own suggestion for octopus form which you can see here: http://projectkorra.com/threads/octopus-form-upgrade.183/#post-1070
@Water-manipulation:

Sorry, I think that I didn't describe it well enough. I meant that it would function the same as the "water-wall" part of "surge", so it doesn't work if an attack has been fired.

left click on source > shift while not looking at another source > creates smaller shield, like a smaller water-wall.

I feel this would be a good addition because of the gap in in water-manipulation that is filled in other skills. I find that water-wall has great utility if you are playing in a team and using it to protect a group from projectiles... but it is so clunky to change to the skill and re-select a source that I personally don't bother blocking attacks in 1v1.

@Octopus-form:

Ah, yes. It was actually your previous suggestion that inspired my idea, I liked your idea very much but felt that extending an arm to block might prove a bit difficult to use. My "90 degree block" idea was my attempt to improve on your idea, although yours is much more detailed. Perhaps we could combine ideas so that at close range your version of block takes place (see picture), but at longer ranges my version of block takes place?

15Grip.jpg

I very much am for toggle-able waterbubble/airbubble, even if changing slots removes the toggle because I am tired of my lily pads and sugar cane constantly being uprooted I:
I feel your pain...Also sometimes airbending/waterbending teammates don't realise they are depriving you of water or causing others to fall into water they were trying to cross.

Majorite

Verified Member
Nice post. I agree that waterbending needs some sort of an upgrade, and the moves for it you posted here seems great. I, personally, like the IceSpike one. Good work. :D

SamuraiSnowman

Verified Member
I honestly think we cannot have a toggle-able air bubble.. With that an airbender could make their bubble, switch slots and bend underwater! (Making it very strong) Same thing with waterbenders.. Never drowning but still being able to attack.

Sekoshiba

Verified Member
I honestly think we cannot have a toggle-able air bubble.. With that an airbender could make their bubble, switch slots and bend underwater! (Making it very strong) Same thing with waterbenders.. Never drowning but still being able to attack.
I don't think waterbubble/airbubble should remain active if you switch slots, just that it should be toggled on before it becomes active. If you have a bubble active and switch slots, the bubble should collapse. In the show the technique is shown to require full concentration to use, whereas waterspout is shown in the show to be used in conjunction with other skills by master Pakku and avatar Korra.

SamuraiSnowman

Verified Member
I don't think waterbubble/airbubble should remain active if you switch slots, just that it should be toggled on before it becomes active. If you have a bubble active and switch slots, the bubble should collapse. In the show the technique is shown to require full concentration to use, whereas waterspout is shown in the show to be used in conjunction with other skills by master Pakku and avatar Korra.
Yes, you have to stay there and focus on the slot to make the bubble. I don't see how making it toggleable would make it more realistic. The move doesn't need much for focus in the show..

Gahshunk

Verified Member
Yes, you have to stay there and focus on the slot to make the bubble. I don't see how making it toggleable would make it more realistic. The move doesn't need much for focus in the show..
I think the main issue is just in switching slots while you're in your sugar cane farm .-.

Coolade

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
A simple AirBubble/WaterBubble compromise would be to have bubble shrink over 3 seconds and then it disappears once the player switches slots. The player would be able to save the bubble by switching back to the slot. People wouldn't be able to easily abuse underwater bending and it would give people a chance to save their bubble.

Sekoshiba

Verified Member
The issue is that you don't have control when it activates, by scrolling over the slot it passively activates and can cause issues because you don't have control over it. Having it toggle on once the slot is selected and you click would mean people don't accidentally destroy sugarcane, lilly-pads, or show enemies they are switching slots via the water nearby disappearing for a moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.